Tue Nov 16 2010 15:05:31

eBay Double Charges Sellers for Printing Shipping Labels

I received a news tip from a reader today that eBay shipping was down. There's no message on the eBay Announcement Board, so I went to the discussion boards and found two threads where sellers are report problems with printing shipping labels on eBay.

Double charged for eBay printed shipping labels - Link

Ebay ripped me off $10.20 - Link

Both discussion threads were started today and report that the eBay system gives error messages when printing labels and tells sellers to try again, and charges them twice when they do.

When the sellers notice the extra charge, they discover there's no way to void the extra label. As a seller explained, "A second label never printed and did not show up on the "order details" page, so I can't simply void it. PayPal has recorded two payments, with two different tracking numbers!"

Another seller said he found two letters in his inbox showing receipt for payment for shipping, but only one letter that says "shipping label created for." He wrote, "So I have nowhere at all to void the 1st label that I was charged for but not printed."

That means sellers have to call eBay to get a credit - but that means long wait times - 45 minutes for one seller.

In a second thread, a seller pointed out that the problem "makes it hard to get good scores when you can't print a label and ship your sales!" eBay penalizes sellers who receive low DSR ratings from buyers for shipping time.

eBay Double Charges Sellers for Printing Shipping Labels   eBay Double Charges Sellers for Printing Shipping Labels

by: Patricia This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 16 15:43:38 2010

I knew there was a reason why I either use Paypal or Click n Ship to pay postage and print my labels. ;-)

by: Jim S. This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 16 15:54:01 2010

I suggest Endicia...

by: Kelly

Tue Nov 16 16:30:06 2010

Stamps.com works for me!

by: look around

Tue Nov 16 16:52:05 2010

Click and ship all the way. And trot my not so lazy butt down to the post office for the rest of it.

by: Charlie W.

Tue Nov 16 17:09:27 2010

I couldn't work without Stamps.com and a Dymo LabelWriter400.

And ''generic'' labels work just as well as the name-brand Dymo labels... at a MUCH cheaper price.

by: eBay Incompetence

Tue Nov 16 17:15:22 2010

eBay's incompetence and ''glitches'' ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS benefit eBay!

And it's ALWAYS a P.I.T.A. for sellers to try and get things corrected.

Hell, it's ''cheaper'' for me to just let eBay keep the $10 than to spend an hour on the phone trying to get it back.

I think that's what they're counting on. They know full well that some sellers just don't have the time or patience... and other people's time is worth MORE than the refund amount.

If this happened to me, I'd IMMEDIATELY file a ''charge-back'' with my credit card. That's the ''eBay way'' nowadays, right?

Forget trying to ''work-it-out'' with the seller (in this case, eBay)... the default and go-to response is now ''chargeback'' and ''open a case''.

by: Karma

Tue Nov 16 19:16:10 2010

The worst part is that there is no announcement from either ebay or Paypal so people won't try to print through them until they fixed it...

by: Karma

Tue Nov 16 19:19:28 2010

PS

Also there are issues AGAIN today with ebay messages (from MY customers)/items sold/label printed emails.

I get them long delayed if at all...

by: eBuyer Feedback This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 16 20:36:57 2010

I know some claim that this glitch benefits eBay but I doubt that is the case or if it is it is minuscule.  The one who truly benefits is the postal service because they are the ones that ultimately get your duplicate label money and then they never ship the non-existent duplicate package.

by: It's Intentional

Tue Nov 16 22:41:31 2010

It's a very slow torture... Lingchi... or: 凌迟

Look it up on wiki. You'll see that this is eBay's new business philosophy.

by: yes

Tue Nov 16 23:13:54 2010

Happened to me too.

After searching for an hour trying to find the "void label" link to no avail. I called Paypal and after 45 more minutes had the problem solved....or so they say. "I will be credited"

Not bad...two hours totally wasted to ship one item.

For years and years the old shipping method worked beautifully through paypal. Now since they changed it, nothing but PROBLEMS!

Stop changing stuff Dumbahoe. You make everything worse than it ever was.

The only good thing was...I only had the one sale on ebay to print a label for. Thanks again Dumbahoe for that too. Before the Dunderhoe days I would have hundreds of orders to ship.

Ok now I'm off to do some online Christmas shopping on Amazon and Bonanza. Maybe bid on a few things at boocoo.com too.

by: Tim

Tue Nov 16 23:16:10 2010

I usually do not blame sellers for errors like this... we do all we can do to make a few bucks with eBay swatting at us the whole time... BUT... in this case:

If you use PayPal for shipping, it is your own fault!  Why would anyone entrust something that important - that easy to screw-up - to the screw-up machine of all time: eBay.

Really, if you are using eBay/PayPal for your shipping, you are just asking to be slapped around.

by: RicRoe

Tue Nov 16 23:22:39 2010

Another day...another eBay glitch, and another example of why eBay has no credibility with sellers.

eBay's system announcement board states: ''Welcome to eBay's System Board. Visit this board for information on scheduled site maintenance or system issues that are affecting Marketplace trading.....''

Posting of system glitches should be automatic in order to keep both buyers and sellers informed.

For some unknown reason eBay management refuses to post announcements of system glitches on the board that is supposed to exist for that very purpose.

Every glitch on eBay highlights the fact that eBay management takes buyers and sellers for granted. Every glitch that they fail to announce causes the credibility gap to grow wider.

If and when this company fails, it will have failed because management is more concerned with placating their wall street masters than they are in keeping buyers and sellers coming back to eBay.

This user has validated their user name. by: elpereles

Tue Nov 16 23:35:09 2010

Months ago I tried to print postage labels in eBay. I was too complicated and slow. I prefer to go directly to Paypal to print postage.

by: Nelly

Tue Nov 16 23:38:04 2010

Another reason why I left E-Bay for Etsy :-)

by: me too

Tue Nov 16 23:46:18 2010

sure enough, I have been doubled charged on the 16th as well

by: Rick1313

Wed Nov 17 00:39:38 2010

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Unless the ''glitches'' affects the buyer base, eBay WILL NOT post problem on the System Announcement Board.

It has been so for quite some time.

I do believe eBay,inc. is getting more and more worried about their liability in such matters.

If it is not posted, there is no real problem. Right?

How many times have I heard, ''Only a few sellers have been affected'' and ''You are the first person contacting us with this problem''? Much more than seeing the system problem actually being announced.

If they see that a ''glitch'' can have negative consequences with their larger accounts, then they might post it to show these big boy accounts that they are not trying to hide a system problem.

eBay,inc. does not want to get into a legal hassle with them.

It is all about eBay,inc.'s liability.

by: mnr200

Wed Nov 17 00:44:12 2010

I called paypal today when this happened to me twice.. they said tey are aware of the glitch and so is ebay and they are working on it.. they said they will be refunding overcharges and can see which labels printed and which didnt .. we will see.

by: Another Wronged Seller This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 17 01:46:35 2010

I'm still waiting for a glitch from ebay that prints the label BUT doesn't take the money out...

Seriously, I've been using stamps.com for years. Never double charged me ever. I can print anything the post office can. Anything domestic or Intl, customs forms, etc. Batch lets me print all labels at once. Imports from paypal, ebay, google checkout and a lot of shopping carts. I highly recommend it.

Ebay/ paypal shipping. Why subject yourself to it?

by: unknown This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 17 04:30:52 2010

''There's no message on the Announcements Board''

Ina, there never is a message on the announcements board  - even when you post about it here saying you saw the message, I've gone looking and just wonder how you got the URL cause the only way I've ever seen the message is from your URL.

The last 2 days there's been a message at the top of all the discussion boards about some 'Gift Experience' discussion board that will be tomorrow for 4 hours = 2-3 days lead time. The last time they put seller changes through (that they said they were only going to do 2 times a year with advance notice), they posted the notice the SAME morning as the changes were announced. And then didn't have the courtesy to reply to all the questions that were posted.

You just gave us some pretty sad info about ebay's 'all out' holiday marketing this year - that's going to be about 20% of what they spent last year and a  bit over 10% of the $ they spent 3 years ago.

The one thing I have the hardest time understanding - why do I put up with this? I really don't understand.