Mon Nov 1 2010 00:15:16

eBay Rolls out New Home Page

Holiday shopping has arrived, Black Friday is only three weeks away, but eBay continues to roll out changes to its site. The latest change is a new home page that is part of an overhaul in how shoppers find and buy products on its website, according to an article in today's Wall Street Journal.

However, a major design change is the elimination of horizontal tabs at the top of the page, replaced by ten vertical "tabs." The horizontal tabs remain on other pages on the eBay.com website. It's uncertain how shoppers will receive this change, but it seems a bad time to find out as sellers count on holiday sales for a major part of their business.

eBay tells visitors the new homepage is faster, features a more consistent use of modules, and offers prominent category navigation. The home page also highlights "hot new deals and trends." eBay also displays information about visitors' recent activity, including bidding, items outbid, watched, last viewed and searched.

eBay is also using the home page to point shoppers to its Diamond sellers, including brands Calvin Klein and Timberland, in a "Buy direct on eBay" module. A "Shop safely on eBay" module highlights eBay Buyer Protection, eBay Top-Rated Sellers, and PayPal.

eBay CEO John Donahoe told the Journal that eBay is becoming a more technology-driven company and said he has an internal goal to increase the size of catalog to 40% of inventory by the end of next year, a reference to the changes eBay recently rolled out in the iPod, GPS and DVD categories.

Update 11/1/10
eBay.com added a graphic to the top of all pages displaying how many days left before Christmas, and added a new graphic on the Item page. In the Delivery section (underneath Shipping), it now has a picture of a package and says, Get it in time for the Holidays! in red, with the estimated delivery time - for example, "Estimated between Sat. Nov. 6 and Tue. Nov. 16"

eBay also links to "The Gifting Spot" from the home page, which it says "has the hot holiday gifts for 2010, something for everyone. Use this online guide to find gifts that are just right for your husband, wife, kids, family fashionista, techie, sports fan-everybody on your list." You can find it at Gifts.eBay.com.

by: RicRoe

Mon Nov 1 00:25:32 2010

Is that actually COLOR on the homepage?

I mean besides the logo.

Jeez... just when I was almost used to the dull, boring. mundane and pedestrian two tone gray, on white with black and blue print,  they go all inconsistent and add a few bars of color....... real honest to goodness color.

Must be a glitch.

by: Sunset

Mon Nov 1 03:26:03 2010

Big surprise. eBay is always changing. At least they finally removed JD's repulsive picture off the home page. I can finally see again.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ed Gadfly

Mon Nov 1 05:14:38 2010

Doesn't do much good when you can't get PreyPal to work.

Wall Street Journal... is that the paper all the thieves of The Bailout read? Gee, if The Thieves of Wall Street like the homepage then our eProblems are over.

Is the new home page the reason for a lack of Town Hall Meetings?

Remember the roll-outs three times a year and not before the Holidays? Guess you won't have a chance to take care of that...

Well, you can buy a bra from Griff. He and the KoolAid Krew bling bras to cure cancer

by: hated it

Mon Nov 1 07:10:59 2010

It looks juvenial. But, It does what ebay wants it to do - drive away buyers and any smaller sellers even thinking about joining in. ebay is so yesterday.

eBay Rolls out New Home Page   eBay Rolls out New Home Page

by: Jim S. This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 1 07:22:06 2010

As a seller I rarely go to the home page. Looked at it today - doesn't do anything for me.  To me it looks like jumble. I think they need some fresh ideas from a new design team.

by: Charlie W.

Mon Nov 1 09:05:16 2010

Oh my god! Is this what it's SUPPOSED to look like?!

The link above shows a scree capture of how the eBay home page looks at 9AM on Monday.

I thought it may have been a browser error (or scripting error) so I reloaded and reloaded. I also switched from Firefox to Internet Explorer, and I got the same thing.

YUK! It's horrible.

by: Rupert Pupkin

Mon Nov 1 09:50:42 2010

Looking at Calvin Klein's sales numbers and customer satisfaction ratings it seems that old Cal's eBain efforts have stumbled, fumbled, faded, farted and failed.

by: FOLLOW UP

Mon Nov 1 10:16:16 2010

========================
========================

Okay... Mystery solved! My ''ad-blocking'' filter was blocking a stylesheet (css) file that is named ''Finding_HomePageAdvanced...''

This name of the stylesheet includes the word ''pageAd'' ... so my ad-blocking filter would not allow it to pass.

Because this stylesheet was blocked, the eBay page would not display properly.

I have tweaked the settings of my ad-blocker software... and now the page displays properly.

I wonder how many other people may have ad-blocking software that is ALSO blocking the poorly-named stylesheet?

This user has validated their user name. by: Ina

Mon Nov 1 10:48:33 2010

See update above - eBay has added holiday graphics - of special note, see the Delivery section on the Item page.

eBay Rolls out New Home Page   eBay Rolls out New Home Page

by: Patricia This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 1 12:16:36 2010

Not too bad long as its the home page.  At least they got the village idiot off the page.  I like the red bow and the countdown....I have to go and see if they copied Amazon LOL

by: Dave

Mon Nov 1 13:24:25 2010

I don't like that they have made it harder to get to the Antiques category.

by: Rich

Mon Nov 1 13:35:08 2010

I like the new page better.  I hope they leave the rest of the site alone.  And I hope the economy turns around a bit

This user has validated their user name. by: Ina

Mon Nov 1 14:51:12 2010

See homepage for "eBay Goes Viral with Holiday Unwrap Attack Campaign"

by: Rupert Pupkin

Mon Nov 1 15:04:33 2010

"eBay CEO John Donahoe told the Journal that eBay is becoming a more technology-driven company..."

Donahole was also quoted as saying, "We are moving feverishly to upgrade our Commodore 64 servers to more cutting edge technology with a goal of total replacement no later than Spring of 2019!"

"This will exert substantial pressures on eBain's wallet which will be financed internally by extracting more fees from our existing members by "levering" the bejesus out of fees for using our sales funnel."

eBay Rolls out New Home Page   eBay Rolls out New Home Page

by: On Lies and Secrets This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 1 15:18:44 2010

The ebay homepage looks more like overstock's homepage than amazon's homepage to me. With one big exception - too much of the screen real estate on the ebay page is pushing products and sellers that I don't care about and never search for on ebay.  Amazon's homepage (the version that I see)  tends to push the kindle and then devotes most of the remaining page to results similar to those for which I've searched or purchased in the recent past. Overstock has items that they are promoting with less real estate devoted to items related to past searches/purchases.

The ebay page that I see is far less polished looking than any of the other sites because of the photo quality - I tend to shop for unique items on ebay and buy from small sellers who take their own amateur photos.  These photos tend to show more views and more details of the products than stock manufacturer photos (when available - vintage and unique goods often don't have stock photos).  The amateur photos are frequently not well lit, they have strange composition and strange and varied backgrounds.  So the new ebay page looks very uneven and a bit awkward to me based on the types of listings that I've looked at in the recent past. I don't think that the person who designed the ebay layout took into account the wide variety of photography practices of ebay sellers.  It seems to be designed with the assumption that stock photos would populate most of the template.  I think the amateur photos are a unique strength of ebay - but it is one that doesn't fit neatly within the look and feel of the template they are now using.  Like just about everything on ebay these days, the one-size-fits-all approach doesn't work - it creates unevenness which makes it seem like the ebay corporation can't figure out what business they are in - whether they are fish or fowl.  There is not a unity of vision or a cohesive selling message on the ebay homepage that I see - it looks like a hodgepodge of dissimilar things cobbled poorly together.

by: Rupert Pupkin

Mon Nov 1 15:27:10 2010

OT - From today's Round Up:
""Texas sends $269 million bill to Amazon.com for uncollected sales taxes," Dallas News, 10/23/10"

"Tax bill sent to Amazon.com is returned to Texas bureaucratic bloodsuckers marked, "Postage Due" and "Addressee Unknown."

by: buck efay

Mon Nov 1 17:07:07 2010

Guess Ol' Copycat Johnny D saw that Amazon added some holiday flair at the top & got jealous.

by: Ooops I'm Naru'd Again

Mon Nov 1 17:30:51 2010

You want to talk about copy cat?

When I went to look at the new page design, right on the main page it had a little link in the main image that said ''check out our group deals'' or something to that effect

(sorry when I went back to get a screen shot it was changed to another image without the link it), but here's the link it took me to:

Can you say Groupon much?  Is this the next great vision???  I understand it's not exactly same, but it's a very similar idea...

eBay Rolls out New Home Page   eBay Rolls out New Home Page

This user has validated their user name. by: Tula

Mon Nov 1 19:37:19 2010

@Ed Gadfly:

I understand your sentiments, but your jabs at the Bling My Bra campaign are uncalled for. The people who run it do not work for eBay. They are, in fact, multi-channel sellers who do use eBay as one channel. This campaign is designed to raise money for breast cancer research, so having as many supporters as possible (yes, even eBay people) is a good thing. Please don't lump this in with whatever it is you don't like about eBay today. It is a completely independent charitable drive that has nothing to do with management of any sales platform.

by: maine ex-seller

Mon Nov 1 20:36:31 2010

The BOTTOM LINE here is that Ebay promised no more than 2, no, wait a minute, NOW 3 MAJOR changes per year and NEVER leading to Christmastime and here WE GO AGAIN!!
They do not EVER KEEP THEIR GD PROMISES!
Oh yeah, JUST TRY finding your item when you are not logged into your Paypal~~ it's NOT ANYWHERE!
I went to my machine and logged in and POOF~ there are all my items BUT WHEN I GO TO SOMEBODY ELSES COMPUTER and just visit w/out logging in, MY ITEMS CANNOT BE FOUND.
This is a DECEPTION!!!~!
FURIOUS (AGAIN) in Maine!!!!!!!!
I pay for FULL EXPOSURE and HERE IS HOW YOU CAN SHOW that Ebay is LYOING AGAIN!
This is CRIMINAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!