Mon Oct 4 2010 10:58:58

eBay Sellers Test New Dupes-Policy Compliance Tool

Sellers worried about whether their listings comply with a just-announced eBay policy are starting to use a new tool designed to help them test their compliance. The new policy takes effect October 26, when eBay will begin automatically ending duplicate Fixed Price listings.

One seller who used the new compliance tool reported that one of their items was listed twice in the report despite that one of the listings had expired on September 23. The seller also noted that it appeared identical items listed in different categories were not considered duplicates by the tool despite having identical pictures and descriptions.

An AuctionBytes reader emailed, "It would appear that the "tool" is a nothing more than a report of results of an eBay scan. I might add 80 listings, but there is not a way for me to initiate a scan of my listings to see if there was any duplicates. There is no indication on the page when the next run by eBay will be, or how frequently they might execute the "tool.""

Some sellers posted feedback on Twitter in response to our inquiry about the new tool. @ayunigifts said, "Tried new tool - gave me no dups... either it works great, or it doesn't work at all, I'm not sure!! Will try again later"; @tenner3 said, "dupe list tool- surprisingly it worked very well"; and @Sweetebuys said, "I tried it Friday it works I have a couple of dupes. :)"

eBay launched the new duplicates listing policy on September 21, saying it would be enforced "to prevent search results from being dominated by multiple duplicate listings of the same item from the same seller."

High-volume sellers of commodity items will be most impacted by the policy, since they can only offer one listing per unique item, and are scrambling for a new listing strategy. The CEO of ChannelAdvisor, which powers many of eBay's largest sellers, wrote on his blog that he was very worried about eBay's "off-cycle emergency de-dupe effort" - a reference to the fact that eBay did not give sellers 60 days' notice of the change.

If eBay's duplicate listings policy sounds vaguely familiar, you may be thinking of its "Identical Listings" policy which it rolled back in November 2008. If eBay's high-volume sellers feel they are impacted by its new "Duplicate Listings" policy, history could repeat itself.

Update: Here's a link to the tool.

eBay Sellers Test New Dupes-Policy Compliance Tool   eBay Sellers Test New Dupes-Policy Compliance Tool

by: Daisy Fields

Mon Oct 4 11:43:02 2010

QUOTE: ''The seller also noted that it appeared identical items listed in different categories were not considered duplicates by the tool despite having identical pictures and descriptions.''

This is very good news! I hope this is in compliance with the overall policy.

Unfortunately (as is almost always the case) this eBay policy is worded just vaguely enough... and lacks specifics... so that it can be interpreted (and enforced) in various ways, depending on the desired outcome.

If the new ''no-dupes'' policy applies to identical listings within categories, then I'm in favor of it.

If the policy is intended to be GLOBAL across all categories, then it's likely to hurt my business (as well as others who are NOT trying to game-the-system and who are NOT trying to spam the listings.)

For example: If you're selling gift boxes, then it makes sense to be able to have identical listing for the SAME item in:

-- packing and shipping
-- wedding supplies
-- craft supplies
-- storage containers
-- etc etc.

Why should someone miss out on the ''storage container'' market and be forced to ONLY sell their item in the ''packing and shipping'' category??

by: what a mess

Mon Oct 4 11:47:00 2010

what happens when ebay dupes listings, which it does, or relists  listings deleted by seller, which it also does. and complaining is a waste of time. knowing ebay we can and will get kicked off. ebay never is in error. ebay is the perfect example of what is wrong with some us mismanagement. no planning. no thinking of unintended consequences. its all about the stock dividends and options for management and nothing else matters.

by: mysoapboxrant This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 4 13:15:46 2010

The only selling TOOL at eBay goes by the name John Donahoe...and IT doesn't even work!

IDIOTS.

by: Digby

Mon Oct 4 14:00:56 2010

I agree with Daisy, some listings do belong in several categories.

But yes get rid of the hundreds of dupes in the same category eg nous pads, computer cables, batteries etc.

by: Mitzi

Mon Oct 4 14:01:47 2010

Where can the duplicate listing tool be found? I'm not seeing it in My eBay?

by: RicRoe

Mon Oct 4 14:46:13 2010

Mitzi, there is a link to the duplicate listing tool on this page:

olicy.html

by: shjames

Mon Oct 4 16:09:09 2010

The vast majority of my listings are for 10 days.

I run an 11 day cycle with unsold item listings that end tonight, for example, will be relisted tomorrow.

Ebay's "tool" shows the current item listing in the Selling section AND the same listing in Unsold items.

Pure genius.

by: mickeyfinn This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 4 21:29:07 2010

After wading through 50 listings for the same product from the same seller, I can happily cope with several across different categories... but I can see some sellers getting more 'interpretive' about the categories they list in. I don't really mind (at this stage, at least) because I would expect there will be a button pusher out there who would delight in reporting a range of computer products listed under 'wedding supplies'.

As for the inclusion of completed listings in the 'tool' - that is just so idiotic that if I had employed a high-school drop-out as a programmer who did that, I'd drop kick them out the door before their chair got warm.

Oh, sorry, this is eBay, isn't it?

by: Lisa

Tue Oct 5 10:40:50 2010

I'm just curious.  How long after eBay announced it would allow sellers to sell unlimited duplicates did they announce that they would not allow any duplicate listings?  Their policies change like the direction the wind blows. I really can't keep track.

by: TRS RAGE

Tue Oct 19 23:03:39 2010

I just read up on this new duplicates failed policy on tonight's login.  My page hits and sales suddenly went down 90% mysteriously the 4th week of Sept and now all of Oct.  I have 100% FB, gold seller for 5 solid years with 4.9 or above in all TRS catagories.

I have two words for ebay that I can't type here out of respect for Ina's blog.  The first word starts with an F and the 2nd with a Y !  Ebay is the worst company on the planet and has totally screwed its seller base.

I can't survive with these stupid changes on ebay and will stop selling and will never buy or visit the site again.  ebaY has blown all credibility and chased off their sellers with a flaming stick in the rear, with no consideration for anyone.  ebaY deserves to fail miserably because they s^ck the life out of their sellers with ridulous tortured policies.

I am a niche seller with so many variations of the same product that there's no way they can figure out what each product option does with their fool tool.

I hope the entire management staff fails miserably, and ebay goes forever bankrupt.

Meg Whitman hand picked DonAhole, so VOTE FOR JERRY BROWN if you are in California!  Screw ebaY