Tue Jan 26 2010 08:14:29

eBay Announces Fee Changes, Will Eliminate Store Format

As anticipated, eBay will eliminate its Store Inventory format and has introduced a new pricing structure effective March 30, 2010. There will be one Fixed Price format on eBay - listings in the current Stores Inventory Format will automatically become regular Fixed Price listings with the same duration and appear with all other Fixed Price listings in eBay search results.

eBay will also extend the multi-variation listing feature to more categories - this allows sellers to list multiple variations of a product, including color and size, in one listing.

Sellers may no longer use the PowerSeller icon or references to the PowerSeller designation in listing templates, listing descriptions, About Me pages, or Stores pages.

Some initial thoughts:
With the new eBay Stores pricing, it's much more expensive to list in Stores format for low-volume sellers - you pay the same $15.95/month subscription fee, but rather than paying as low as 3 cents to list, you must pay a 20-cent insertion fee. However, your listings appear in Core search results.

An option would be to pay a higher monthly subscription fee - almost $50, and get insertion fees of 5 cents. eBay says this works for sellers who list over 250 items per month.

A lot of news to digest here, let's hear your comments!

Fee Changes
- No Insertion Fees for Auction-style listings when you list your item with a start price under $1—up to 100 listings per month. Pay only if your item sells.

- New low Insertion Fees when you list your item with a start price of $1 or more

- One easy Final Value Fee of 9% of the winning bid—and never more than $50—regardless of your start price or final selling price.

- 50-cent Insertion Fee for Fixed Price with Final Value Fees for the most part staying the same.

eBay will also introduce new fees for its Stores.
BASIC: 20¢ Fixed Price Insertion Fees, $15.95/month - Consider a Basic Store if you list more than 50 Fixed Price or Auction-style items a month. It's a great starter package if you plan to start an eBay business or ramp up your selling.

PREMIUM: 5¢ Fixed Price Insertion Fees, $49.95/month - Great choice for higher volume sellers (more than 250 items per month) and sellers listing in both Auction-style and Fixed Price formats.

ANCHOR: 3¢ Fixed Price Insertion Fees, $299.95/month - Get the same great deal as the old Store Inventory format-now with full exposure in search results! With an Anchor Store subscription, higher volume sellers get top savings and the lowest package rates on eBay.

NOTE: Starting in March, meeting the new minimum performance standard for all sellers will be a requirement for Premium and Anchor subscribers. ("Above Standard.")

- Insertion Fees as low as 3¢ for Fixed Price listings with full exposure in search results

- Fixed Price Final Value Fees for the most part staying the same

- New low Auction-style Insertion Fees

- Auction-style Final Value Fees significantly reduced over the new standard rate

- FREE pictures—up to 12 per listing

- FREE Selling Manager Pro with Premium and Anchor subscriptions

- Plus all the other great marketing tools you get with an eBay Stores subscription, including your own customizable store front and Markdown Manager.

New PowerSeller discounts and seller requirements coming in mid-April - the new PowerSeller requirements (originally announced in July 2009) will be in effect for all PowerSellers, not just Top-rated sellers. And with the new PowerSeller discount schedule (also announced in July), only eBay Top-rated sellers will receive 20% fee discounts. All other PowerSellers will receive 5% discounts. PowerSellers will see this change reflected on their statements starting May 1, 2010.

Here's a link to eBay's overview page.

eBay Announces Fee Changes, Will Eliminate Store Format   eBay Announces Fee Changes, Will Eliminate Store Format

by: Pat

Tue Jan 26 08:18:28 2010

Where did you get this, Ina? I've been checking the announcement baord constantly and don't see anything. At first glance, doesn't look bad...

by: JC

Tue Jan 26 08:26:13 2010

I agree - As a large seller, I think I can work with this. I just hope the free auction listing fees don't fill the site up with useless cr@p.

by: Ray Mancini

Tue Jan 26 08:44:18 2010

Not convinced this is a fee decrease for what I sell, and the amount of listings I have. Also, the days of starting items off at .99c on eBay and letting them fly are over. Still absorbing this though.

by: fast freddy

Tue Jan 26 08:49:45 2010

So am I reading this right. In order to list in stores and have full exposure in search results you need to have a premium store.

Yes or No

by: Jonathan

Tue Jan 26 08:57:36 2010

eBay wants to be Amazon but won't study what Amazon did in the past and changed due to problems.  Looks like I will just list all my items in the wrong category and save on the final value percent.

The next question is should I bother with eBay at all any more.  I can not tell what the pricing would be if I listed an item with 100 units available.  Will they now charge me for each unit as a listing.

I think in the end it does not matter.  My biggest complaint with eBay is that they change things so often and the site always has a few broken features that it just takes too much time when I could be listing items in Amazon where the foot traffic seems to be going.

by: Mike

Tue Jan 26 08:58:31 2010

One more reason to develop your own eCommerce website with shopping cart. We use eBay to establish new customers, then we try to transition them to our own (zero-commission) website.

by: Tom Russell

Tue Jan 26 09:02:49 2010

I will be ending my store on March 30 to avoid the raised fees. How will EBay end listings or do I have to end all manually on that day.

Thanks,
Tom & Lorraine Russell

by: Synonymous

Tue Jan 26 09:08:13 2010

Hold on - so if you have a Store, you have to pay for auctions starting at under $1, but if you don't have a Store, they're free?

In other news, eBay REALLY doesn't want small-volume sellers, do they?

by: GazLanNaThai

Tue Jan 26 09:11:06 2010

What eBay are now doing to North America are exactly what they did to the UK & Ireland in September 2007.

Rather than reinvent the wheel, US & CA sellers might want to spend some time on the eBay UK forums searching back through the old threads, and for independent, uncensored, reporting and analysis, spend some time in the independent UK blogs and forums (i.e. non-eBay sites) that covered those changes.

You'll find that 99% of the questions you have from this weeks changes for North America, are exactly the same ones covered on the other side of the Atlantic 18 months ago.

Gaz

by: Cindy Roberts

Tue Jan 26 09:12:44 2010

My understanding is that all store inventories will be listed In search results.  That is a big change.....Before you had to list auctions and stores because your store listing don't show up in searches.  Is this correct?

by: doc

Tue Jan 26 09:12:54 2010

4 FREE Vehicle Listings on EBM with a $125 FVF. Your 5th and more vehicles are charged a $50 listing fee with NO FVF.

It was 3 FREE with $125 FVF then $20 to list with $100 FVF. Looks like the lack of sales (deadbeats and scammers don't count) have them figuring it better to get more jack up front..

2010.html

The
dealers are usually well aware of the scammers and how to verify their bidders sincerity, but the newbie will get whacked at least 3 times in a row!

by: pete

Tue Jan 26 09:16:14 2010

When will Gallary be free in Oz (a massive rip off)..what is the 99c listing fee AFTER the first 100 items

This in my mind is all to get listing numbers up nothing else

by: Pat

Tue Jan 26 09:16:35 2010

After doing the math, I'd like to retract my initial comment (teaches ME to be the first one posting! LOL!!)

Unless I risk my items at auction with a ninety-nine cent starting bid, this is a fee increase. Ugh...this never ends...

by: EBAY SELLER

Tue Jan 26 09:17:33 2010

I have been dying to say something good about ebay for the last 2 years and sadly nothing they have done in that time has done any good for me the small seller or given me reason to.I think for the first time in 2 years this is actually change for the sake improving the site not just for change sake .I am already paying 5 cents for most of my store listings already and having stores in core again will greatly improve my sales.Finally common sense in a ebay management desicion!!!!!

by: Mark

Tue Jan 26 09:17:40 2010

Am I the only one who thinks that this stinks? The way that I see it the fees have doubled. Since ebay averages only 16% of our volume, I will most likely dump them (finally). I've grudgingly supported them through all of their stupid decisions, but with this new fee structure, I just can't justify hanging on. Anyone else wondering why an Anchor store pays 12% FVF vs. Premiums 8%?

by: zeak

Tue Jan 26 09:19:58 2010

looks like it will work for me. first time ive ever seen the ps board actually exited about changes. im sure you'll have a rash of ive im leaving ebay people in today. overall i think this looks good the free pictures might endanger ink and auctiva another bump in the road for them.

by: i'd rather not say

Tue Jan 26 09:20:17 2010

congratulations ebay!

you got this 12 year veteran and former shareholder down from 5000 listings to 900 listings to 200 listings and soon ZERO listings.

sadly not because i sold these items but because you bastards ground me down.

congratulations ebay you lost a great seller [100% positive and dsr at the top of the scale on 4400+ fb] that now makes his living on his own sites.

oh and those sites of mine...they cost me $20 a month. hooked into google base.

congratulations ebay.

by: anonymous

Tue Jan 26 09:26:29 2010

Doesn't look bad??

For auctions, anything under 50 bucks just went UP a 1/4 percent. And MUCH more for 50.00 Over 50.00 went up 5.5%.

And for fixed price, I just LOOOVE the "for the most part".

Reminds me of the Marx Brothers, and their "party of the first part" along with the requisite cigars, and clowning around.

It's just like eBay to announce a fee reduction that is really an increase.

It's an increase...

Guaranteed. They are losing business and just cannot figure out that they killed the goose that laid the golden egg.

It is just impossible for them to believe that anybody with an MBA could be this stupid.

Well, believe it. Just because your parents wanted to brag to their friends on their holiday cards about your advanced degree doesn't give you an IQ.

That comes from genetics.

Does anyone at eBay even KNOW that both Einstein and the Wright brothers dropped out of high school? In addition to the great Anton van Leeuwenhoek (discovered bacteria, among other things)

An MBA doesn't actually GIVE you brains.

Nice that they want to put stores into Core, but they should haev given buyers the option to change that in the search to start with.

I thought the buyer was KING?

Why don't they just ask you: INCLUDE STORE LISTINGS? To which, I am certain most of us would say: SURE!!

Or they could just include them and then ask you if you WANT to eliminate them.

And it does sound like what Freddy said they only give full exposure to the highest volume sellers.

Typical vague announcement.

Doesn't matter anyhow, when they increase the standards in April, everyone without a near PERFECT record is gone anyhow.

Who is going to pay an additional 20% in fees to sell 5-10 items per week?

If you guys can pay mortgages with the amount you are selling, I want to know what tricks you have up your sleeves.

And YES I AM a top rated seller, BFD.

by: Deb

Tue Jan 26 09:27:36 2010

Thought this was...uh...funny?

colderICE: @andotherstuff no matter what they change, somebody will bitch about eBay tomorrow and post on Auctionbytes the day after, LMAO

about 9 hours ago from HootSuite · Reply · View Tweet ·  Show ConversationHide Conversation

by: Jake

Tue Jan 26 09:31:18 2010

A 99c auction listing on Australian eBay (linked to .com) cost a mighty 86c with gallery PLUS FVF

A Joke...then Paypals cut!!!!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20  [Next Page]