Sat Jan 9 2010 22:41:07

It's Your Turn to Rate the Ecommerce Marketplaces!

Online merchants live by their reputation, particularly on marketplace sites such as eBay. Each venue has its own system for letting buyers leave seller ratings. eBay, for example, is testing a system that uses a 10-point Net Promoter Score that allows buyers to rate sellers.

We decided it would be only fair to let online sellers take the opportunity to rate the marketplaces on which they sell. This survey is comprised of 16 individual sections containing questions about the following 15 sales venues:
  • Amazon
  • eCrater
  • GoAntiques
  • iOffer
  • Onlineauction.com
  • Rubylane
  • TIAS.com
Please take a moment to complete our survey and let us know how you rate each of the venues on which you sell. You'll be asked to judge them on four different criteria, and then be asked how likely are you to recommend each one as a selling venue to a friend or colleague. There is also a field in each section where you may leave a comment pertaining to that venue.

Please ONLY rate the sites where you are currently selling or have previously sold.

Your contact information will not be shared. We will publish the results in a future AuctionBytes newsletter. Here is the link to the survey.

It's Your Turn to Rate the Ecommerce Marketplaces!   It's Your Turn to Rate the Ecommerce Marketplaces!

by: carnel

Sat Jan 9 23:22:15 2010

The survey leaves me out.  I sell on Etsy.com.  Why isn't Etsy included?

by: Patricia

Sat Jan 9 23:36:35 2010

@carnel - Etsy is on the list - look again.

I'd like to know why Overstock isn't on the list.  I made most of my sales on there last year.

by: Gary Richardson

Sun Jan 10 00:40:08 2010

I would have liked to seen Neweggmall.com, buy.com and overstock.com

Yourownwebsite.com should have also been on there

Good survey Ina!

by: Sam

Sun Jan 10 03:08:21 2010

Thanks for this Ina!
Looking forward to the results!!

by: ma

Sun Jan 10 05:33:40 2010

Thank you Ina. I appreciate a chance to grade my venues ;-) I wish auctiva and vendio and maybe ink frog had been included but I guess you have to cut it off somewhere. lol. thanks. ma

by: two left out

Sun Jan 10 07:05:19 2010

We also sell on half.com (ebay's ugly sister) and Alibris.com (great site for books & media). Wish they were also included

by: curiocache

Sun Jan 10 14:25:33 2010

Thanks for having this survey! I highly recommended Onlineauction.com. Been a member there for a year and a half, and just LOVE it! Personal phone calls from staff and members with help, continual upgrades, contests with valuable prizes, AFFORDABLE to list, and a wonderful camaraderie make OLA.com the very best on the web! I'm so thankful to have found them.

by: sharon

Sun Jan 10 15:09:04 2010

thanks for doing this survey.  just wish artfire, and half.com had also been included.  both are good sites for me

by: MetzyMom

Sun Jan 10 15:20:16 2010

Awesome Survey!  I sell at both OnlineAuction.com and ShoppersArena.com, but have sold at about 1/3 of your list, so I'm excited to do the survey!
Maybe next year ShoppersArena will be included!!!

by: Fred Nijm

Sun Jan 10 17:44:23 2010

Great survey! Would love to see addoway.com on the list next time. Thanks for putting this together!

by: Kim W.

Sun Jan 10 18:57:49 2010

Thanks for the opportunity to rate these sites! I sell or have sold on six of them. I Had to give top honors to Atomic Mall, with eCrater a distant second. Sorry to say I couldn't rate OlA or ioffer higher, but they disappointed me in many areas. Have not yet tried Bonanza or the specialty sites like Rubylane, so I didnt rate them.

by: Julie

Sun Jan 10 20:45:11 2010

Great idea Ina !
I am new to selling in the USA, have been on ebay and find it very hard to get noticed, and they don't seem to value small sellers who may be bigger one day !
I love your blog, and can't wait to see the results

by: o.c.d.collectibles

Sun Jan 10 22:38:39 2010

auctiva, vendio, inkfrog, buy.com, alibris, and  half.com, are all:
1. sellers
or
2. 3rd party developers on ebay.

They are not exactly "single online site entities that HOST online sellers".

That certainly is not their PRIMARY function/purpose.
Overstock had very few small/individual sellers there to really make it worthwhile to survey. probably the other newer smaller sites are the same.

I think the purpose here was to gather the information that's MEASURABLE DATA in PERCENTAGES. not to count every single person in or out.

by: o.c.d.collectibles

Sun Jan 10 22:43:39 2010

I re-tweeted the survey invitation over 5 times using the list above, all of the selling site names were included, and the feeds went through my squidoo and facebook. others retweeted my tweets. plenty of folks will be here to fill it out, don't worry!

by: Sher

Sun Jan 10 23:53:13 2010

Sold on e-bay for over 10 years. Now I found a new home that is more friendly, responsive, and low fees.
Glad to have this survey to rate Bonanzle.com
It will be  # 1 for sure !

by: Stefano

Mon Jan 11 03:31:42 2010

Sorry to see Delcampe ignored on this survey. With 460,000+ members and over 650,000 items sold per/month...that far surpasses most of the sites in your survey.

Members   461 089
Sold items (December 2009)   657 199
Sold items (November 2009) 682 504

by: LegendsOfBatman

Mon Jan 11 04:14:28 2010

Thanks Ina for an excellent survey.
I appreciate the opportunity to turn the DSR tables on eBay. Even in the category where they SHOULD have excelled, ease in listing; eBay could not fairly score well, because they have made it hard to list, thanks in whole, to their pro-criminal policies.
On the opposite side of the spectrum, I am greatful for the opportunity to rate the three officially supported sites of the ebay boycott:
onlineauction.com
ioffer.com
etsy.com
amongst others.
OLA has been a wonderful home to me, the past two years. I have made hundreds of purchases and every single one has been excellent.
Ive even been able to do some sales, which even at my low level of sales saved me more than $65 in a month in ebay fees. And the sad thing is, I dont usually sell but a couple hundred dollars worth of merchandise. So, $8 a month is awesome.
Anyway, thanks for an awesome survey, cant wait to see the results.
Tim

by: Lucile Wittren

Mon Jan 11 04:19:50 2010

I did the survey but wish to explain my comments about Amazon.  As a Marketplace seller, you list ALONGSIDE Amazon merchants if you sell the same item, otherwise cannot list.  The merchant can set shipping, Marketplace must take flat $4.50 thus your shipping costs have to go into price, then it will not sell as all sellers with that item are listed side by side and buyers take the lowest price. I lost $3-$4 on every sale for over two months just to get a rating.  I have other concerns also but the bottom line is DO NOT sell there.

by: Renagade

Mon Jan 11 06:23:09 2010

Kickin idea !

enjoyed putting my two cents worth in.  I have sold on several of the sites listed, and still do on 3 of them.  Although all in the survey are good sites, I must say the only one I would totally recommend is Bonanzle.

by: Carol

Mon Jan 11 11:40:04 2010

Great survey!  I did try several other sites that aren't around anymore, but that's okay.

I go to a lot of country estate auctions and four years ago the talk was all about Ebay.  That slowly changed over the next 2 years.

Now if anyone talks about Ebay it is only in the negative.  I have cards for my store at Ecrater and have given out quite a few.  I've also received feedback from some of the people who tried Ecrater.

It worked for some and for some it didn't work which is why my take on any site is "try it and if it works for you Great if not, don't get upset  try somewhere else".

You can find a place other than ebay that will work better, cause less stress and make money.  Ebay is not the be all, end all anymore!

1 2 3 4 5  [Next Page]