Wed Sept 16 2009 16:03:35

Bonanzle.com Almost Too Sweet at 100,000 Members?

Bonanzle.com surpassed 100,000 members on Monday, barely a year after the company's official launch. The company said its traffic growth was attained through a completely grassroots effort. An average of 10,000 members are joining Bonanzle every month, and on September 13, Bonanzle scored 1,000,000 unique monthly visitors for the first time. Currently Bonanzle offers about 2.3 million items.

In a press release, Bonanzle's founder and CEO Bill Harding said, "I attribute our rapid growth to buyers and sellers having an unmet need for a marketplace where individual people matter, and where the selling fees don't drag down businesses. We will continue to add features to make it easier for our buyers to find everything but the ordinary, and we'll throw in a good amount of fun while we're at it." Bill founded the site in January 2007, and in 2008, Mark Dorsey (founder of Dorsey Floral LLC) joined the company as co-founder.

The site is not an auction site, but has attracted attention from eBay sellers. Two weeks ago, Bonanzle said it would launch an API by October, and said developers using the API would eligible to get affiliate commissions.

The company displays a quirky sense of humor in its messaging, as seen in Monday's blog post announcing the milestone in which it created a Sweet-o-meter to gauge its standing in the universe, and warning readers to stay vigilant in case the site should reach "too sweet" status.

Bonanzle.com Almost Too Sweet at 100,000 Members?   Bonanzle.com Almost Too Sweet at 100,000 Members?

by: Great News, but...

Wed Sep 16 16:27:55 2009

Where are the BUYERS? The sellers are there, and an occasional sale here and ther, but if Bonanzle.com is to survive they must advertize. Not just word of mouth, but print, radio, TV, yeah i know big bucks. But is it a hobby or a living?

by:

Wed Sep 16 16:50:09 2009

But, where are the buyers ???

We have had only 4 sales on the marketplace in 9 months with over 100 competitively priced items listed.

A 100 thousand or a 100 BILLION users makes no difference if there are so few sales.

What is the site's GMV per month? How much money are these 10,000 new users a month spending on the site?

All the users in the world won't help if they are not opening up their pocket books and spending money on the marketplace.

by: SO SO SAD

Wed Sep 16 17:01:42 2009

As I said before, I have had no sales but 1 on ecrater, there is lots if sellers on these sites, but NO BUYERS ! That is where eBay has be by the you know what ! I mean a buyer remembers to type in 4 letters eBay, but a name like Bonanzle could be Bonanza etc. I hope that site takes off, but it needs more advertising to attract buyers. My only sale elsewhere came on eCrater, I like that, but still 1 sale is not enough, but I think eCrater has potential, it is an easy name to remember for a buyer.

by: Zilch

Wed Sep 16 17:16:29 2009

Been on bz for nearly a year - over 100 items listed.  Zero sales.

Poor shopping experience for buyers.  Very poor search engine (it makes ebay's look like genius), and horrible selection of over priced items.

This is where old, useless, worthless, ebay items (and sellers?) go to die.

by: Bob H.

Wed Sep 16 17:40:33 2009

You do have to have something worth buying and stuff that people really want. I wonder how many candles are sold on eBay. Ignore the people who say there aren't buyers on Bonanzle. They're usually the sellers who have stuff that nobody wants anyway.

My Bonanzle sales have tripled over the past 3 months. A llttle bigger every month. My sales on Bonanzle have finally exceeded my eBay sales and I'm talking 7-10 per week of high ticket items. I'm fully expecting 15-20 per week by Christmas. That's all I can handle anyway.

Cheaper fees make it worthwhile. I'm saving tons of money not having to relist and pay, relist and pay those listing fees. When I do sell something, the smaller sales commission makes my day.

by: Chelle

Wed Sep 16 17:47:14 2009

Many Many people are doing well on Bonanzle and eCrater.  (by the way 80% of the registered users on Bonanzle are not sellers)  Why is is some can do well on these sites while others can't get it done?  Perhaps it is the seller not the venue.

I suggest taking the time to learn how to sell online off eBay.  The strategy is not even close to the same.  Really a monkey can sell on eBay.  Selling off eBay requires a seller that is motivated to learn and work for their own business.

I'm a seller that can acquire buyers through search engines....  I don't need eBay so I dumped them for Bonanzle earlier this year.

I am by the way eligible for top seller on eBay.  I am not a poor seller and neither are my products over priced junk.

by: Daisy

Wed Sep 16 17:53:32 2009

I don't have too much listed on Bonanzle, so no sales. But truthfully, sales for me on Ebay have been horrible lately.

The latest DSR fiasco they're implementing should finish a lot of us off. I'm so sick of Ebay's games, I don't even know if I want to stay in e-commerce.

by: matza

Wed Sep 16 18:46:03 2009

sales on ebay are dying as should be expected with the extremely flawed convoluted system they have.

Amazon is absolutely loving Donohoe. They are whipping extreme butt. Not hard to do when ebay has a donohoe in the building. Amazon couldn't have done it without Donoholes help.

Bonanzle needs auctions. If they get auctions ebay will plummet further and Bonanzle will one day take it's place.

Either way ebay with donohoe is going to fail terribly. It's pretty much a failure now. Check the latest medved sales figures.

Donohoe sucks, everything about him and his stupid ideas of disruption suck. I'd like to stick the whole system that controls best match straight up his A$$ along with his top seller badges and every star in the universe!

by: Patricia

Wed Sep 16 19:26:42 2009

Bonanzle would grow if it would only start a section for auctions.  There is almost NO way to find what you're looking for.  Search is so entirely different to the Ebay "in a rut" buyers that they don't shop there - without the buyers the sellers will leave sooner or later.  Bonanzle - wize up - start a section for auctions!  Get some real interest moving over there.  Sellers would pay to list - doesn't have to be Ebay size fees - just small fees maybe for longer periods of time and free buy-it-now or make it mine feature!  THAT"S fun - not wading thru tons of stuff with an inadequate search.  I've been there over a year - only 9 sales with 69 items running.  Lots of looks according to my view stats but no buyers!

by: Patricia

Wed Sep 16 19:32:22 2009

" Ignore the people who say there aren't buyers on Bonanzle. They're usually the sellers who have stuff that nobody wants anyway."

That's just not true.  I use Bonanzle as a kind of depository - things sit there and when I run out I go to Bonanzle and take items out of my booth there to sell elsewhere.  No...I've been selling online for over 11 years now with my own website making good sales and its been up and running since 1996.  I can't spend all day on Bonanzle which seems to be something a seller has to do to attract any kind of attention.

by: eBay has a bridge to sell you...

Wed Sep 16 19:43:46 2009

@Great News, but...

I totallly agree and have in fact posted those exact words on other blogs here.  eBay is a Billion $$$+ business.  If you want to seriously take over that business, you need to do some serious marketing and quite honestly, for what they are aiming for they have yet to really get serious.

I've imported 759 items on Bonanzle a few months back and can say that sales do come in.  In fact, I sold a vintage Japanese video game system on it yesterday for $150.00 so you can definitely sell.  It's part product, and a WHOLE LOT OF MARKETING on your part.  They give you a checklist, my suggestion is to use every item on it extensively.

As for eBay, it's a market mostly for bottom feeders these days.  Yes, you can still make sales but it seems like only cheap stuff moves on it these days.  No serious buyers anymore.

by: Stefano Neis

Wed Sep 16 19:59:58 2009

Delcampe just reached 424,000 "active" members. www.delcampe.net

It is the 16th of the month and I just attained the 2000th sale "of the month" there today.

Last month I sold $42,284 worth of sales on Delcampe.

So far this month I have already sold $31,884 in sales there...

I go where the buyers are with my products... not where the hype is.

Give me buyers and I will list on your site.

by: Foothill Web Design

Wed Sep 16 20:34:09 2009

Yes, where the buyers are. Bonanzle may be the magic bullet for some folks. My sense is, if they had the buyers, they'd be charging high fees and jerking sellers around just like eBay. If you don't believe that, there's a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to show you. Selling on eBay is like working for minimum wage. You ARE worth more than that.

by: summer in the city

Wed Sep 16 20:38:40 2009

To those urging Bonanzle to do some marketing & advertising: be careful what you wish for. Want another Ebay? Keep control of your own brand -- don't hand it over to the venue, and don't let the venue obscure or even take over the perceived ownership of your business.

I agree that Bonanzle's requirement for sellers to be online and available for chat all the time is lame, lame, lame. They should have thought that one out better. Doesn't seem to be much research behind that move.

by: Norma

Wed Sep 16 21:07:48 2009

I love selling at Bonanzle. not everyone is gonna like any site that you put out there. and you get what you put into anything.

what have to got to lose by trying? Not a thing!

by: happen to like Bonanzle

Wed Sep 16 21:44:31 2009

@ summer in the city

''I agree that Bonanzle's requirement for sellers to be online and available for chat all the time is lame, lame, lame.''

There is NO such requirement.

It's a tool to make communication quick and easy and if you happen to be online when a buyer is browsing and has a question, it's a great way to turn an inquiry into a sale.

People do have a life and any tools that make buying and selling easier are a big plus.

by: Harriet

Thu Sep 17 08:39:27 2009

One thing that Bonanzle absolutely has to do is to correct whatever problems they have with the Google feeds. My items have been there for a long time, and over this past year there have been several situations when nothing is picked up by the Google bot. There is some kind of problem with the interface with Google. It isn't anything the seller can do to help.

It was fine for a little while, and is starting to get unreliable again. Without any advertising, Google feeds are crucial to any success on the site. Without it, you may as well be showing your items to your nextdoor neighbor.

eCRater does not have this problem, and the feeds go through without any problems.

I guess I'll have to decide whether I start pulling items from Bonanzle and listing them on eCrater where I have had a lot of success.

I like the friendly look of Bonanzle and the ease of doing things. And I want them to succeed. But the holidays are fast approaching and there is no use in just listing items and not getting any looks and very few sales.

On Bonanzle I had maybe 10 lookers on one day. On eCrater, I had over 100 for the period of time. It makes a world of difference.

So get busy, Bonanzle, and fix things up so your sellers can get some sales.

by: summer in the city

Thu Sep 17 10:26:00 2009

@ happen to like bonanzle

You're right.

June_Edition

''We're
also going to be experimenting with giving some search precedence to items whose sellers make themselves available for chat (either by being logged in, or by setting up remote chat with Gmail or etc.)  It's going to take some tweaking before we get the results arranged just so, but we're aiming for search results to be ordered by relevance of search term (that is, how closely the item title/description match what was searched for), newness of item and whether seller is available to chat.  In that order.  It'll probably take a couple days of tweaking before the proportions are consistently correct, but we'll get there.

UPDATE:  Search has been updated so that it is optional to the buyer if they want search weighted toward online sellers.  By default, search is not weighted toward online sellers.  But if a buyer wants to shop for an item where they'll need advice on their transaction, or if they want to be able to negotiate or such, they can now choose to factor this in as a component of their search.''
_________________________

Sounds like they listened to their sellers.

by: Patricia

Thu Sep 17 11:11:07 2009

"''We're also going to be experimenting with giving some search precedence to items whose sellers make themselves available for chat (either by being logged in, or by setting up remote chat with Gmail or etc.) "

Once they start manipulating search - I hope they realize they then start stinking just like Ebay!!!!

by: x powerseller

Thu Sep 17 11:19:00 2009

I like Bonanzle, but have more sales on Ecrater, and yes there have been long periods on Bonanzle with no action thanks to the unreliable Google feeds issue. I don't like the search manipulation I just found out about, though. And Bonanzle, YOU NEED TO ADVERTISE!

1 2 3  [Next Page]