Tue Aug 4 2009 11:04:42

Schedule for Releasing Survey Results on eBay SR2 Changes

Last week, eBay announced their latest round of changes. It was a comprehensive set of policy updates that generated lots of discussion on AuctionBytes and throughout the industry.

AuctionBytes was interested in quantifying users' opinions about the changes, and presented a comprehensive survey to users - 32 questions, and 14 comment boxes in all. Rather than asking how respondents felt about the changes in aggregate, we had respondents rate many of the policy updates separately. This made for a long survey, and we were very pleased that 1,113 people took the time to answer the questions, and fill out thoughtful answers to the comments. We're in the process of culling the results and publishing them to the website.

Because of the length of the survey, we'll be releasing the data in 4 separate articles this week, the first of which was published today. Here's how the rest of the publishing schedule will go:

Tuesday - How eBay measures sellers' performance and a new seller designation called "Top Rated seller status," as well as changes to the eBay PowerSeller program.

Wednesday - Policy changes, including a new "Selling Practices" policy and changes to Auction-style listings with Buy It Now.

Thursday - Changes to how sellers' items will surface in eBay's Best Match search results and a new analytics tool for sellers.

Friday - Changes to buyer-seller relations, including changes to the unpaid item claims process, dispute resolution, and email communications.

We'll also do a wrap-up in this Sunday's issue of AuctionBytes-Update. Thanks again to everyone taking the survey. Your input, as always, is invaluable.

Schedule for Releasing Survey Results on eBay SR2 Changes   Schedule for Releasing Survey Results on eBay SR2 Changes

by: fruity

Tue Aug 4 18:36:35 2009

I think ebay is doing a superdeedoopity job. they should keep it coming and in fact I think they are sorta slow, they should just roll it all out much faster. I hope they do. I LOVE EBAY, its the best place and I think everyone should open up an anchor store like one of my 6 ebay shops. They are the best!

by: Ron

Tue Aug 4 19:32:39 2009

@Ina

I'm at a point where eBay's changes are going to force me out of business. I've been a Gold Powerseller since the beginning of the program and have sold on eBay for 11 years.  Recently my sales volumes have nosedived as I've been a seller of antiques, unique and collectible items, primarily by auction method.  As we know, eBay's policies that encourage both fixed prices and large volume sellers have greatly affected sellers like me.  Still, I've been trying to conform as much as I can, playing by eBay's rules.  I've never had a negative feedback in 11 years, with over 10,000 feedbacks given.  So, you can't say that we aren't customer oriented, professional sellers.  I'm in a peculiar situation in that we're located in Canada.  Canadian postal rates are so high that a couple of years ago I decided to pay a courier service once a week to bring my packages over the border to a USPS outlet for shipping.  I did this because US shipping rates are as much as 1/3 of Canadian rates and I wanted to offer the best possible shipping rates to customers.  I charge a $2-$3 handling fee to cover the cost of the courier, but I'm usually short and land up eating some cost, however, the customers pays much, much less than if I shipped the item from Canada.  All of this is explained in my descriptions and terms of service.  Yet, I still get the odd person complaining about being overcharged, even though this is explained before someone bids, and again at invoicing.  Last month, I had two people complain, one I refunded the handling charge and the other didn't even bother to respond to my e-mail in which I again explained the charges.  Both of them left me a 1 on shipping and handling.  Not all people leave feedbacks, so a small seller like myself can receive as few as 20 or 30 feedbacks in a 30 day period.  Two ratings of 1 on that number of feedbacks, if I understand the new system, would disqualify me as a Top Seller, and do I understand correctly that I would be suspended in April with that rate of dissatisfaction?  I would gladly fold in the shipping costs into the item price if I was offering a fixed price item, but is it fair to expect that of an auction seller?  Rating a seller on a parameter that they have no control over, such as shipping and handling, is patently unfair - it really has no bearing on the professionalism and regard for the customer, as my selling history indicates.  eBay is turning its back on the auction format, just in order to access the Diamond Seller market, and unfairly destroying the business of sellers that have built the site.  A more creative CEO, who would truly understand all of the users of the site, would have devised systems and policies that would have accommodated both large fixed price sellers and smaller sellers using the auction format.  Instead, what we have is an insidious process of ''changes'' that serve to alienate a whole customer base of small sellers.  I've never heard of a business growing its revenue profile by eliminating customers.  I really think that they are going to regret losing their broad customer base by trading it in for a concentrated base of large sellers.  Those large sellers are just going to eventually use their volume to extract concessions from eBay.  Unfortunately, in the meantime, what was a good business for me has become fragmented - I'll survive by selling through other venues, but no one is going to win in the long run as a result of John Donahoe's ''strategy'' of killing the goose that laid the golden egg.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Tue Aug 4 20:23:57 2009

Earth to small sellers!

The HO, the NO, the Til the Shill do NOT want small and medium sellers. They do NOT want sellers who don't have at least 5,000-10,000 fixed price listings, sell cheap Chinese junk (refurbished, seconds, broken, mostly without warranties), and who aren't willing to sell for $1.00 above cost and ebay fees.

The HO and Co. don't care how conscientious a seller you are or how good your customer service is. They only care about wanting you GONE from ebay so they can create new "efficiencies" by further gutting their unmatched 'customer service.'

The HO, The NO, and Til the Shill are lemmings heading for the ocean, and they will have the same end as the lemming.

These overeducated cretins have decided this is the path to higher stock prices and more stock options, bonuses, and career advancement.

Being sociopathic narcissists, they don't care how many of our businesses are ruined or how many lives are severely disrupted some sadly beyond repair. They ONLY CARE about what ebay can do for them financially and how ebay can further their career objectives.

And that small minority of ebay managers who have had even a thimble full of ethics are shown the door and told to be "a good ebay citizen."

DEATH to ebay corp. in 2009.

by: ALL WET

Tue Aug 4 20:32:20 2009

Your funny fruity!

Were would we be without Ming, Fruity, and so many other colorful characters posting on this forum. It's my daily gossip stop!

I love reading your posts fruity, as it's usually something funny.

Ebay is forcing many sellers off of the site without really being forthright. I guess no one would like it if that happened abruptly overnight? They are weening us off of ebay over time, that much is entirely obvious.

Some sellers get pushed out quicker than others, and yet many sellers may survive the transition process? I don't count myself in the later group. I don't like the whole ebay program of jerking peoples livelihoods on a whim.  Non-the-less it is a painful exit to be stressed into extinction by overly high customer expectations. The bright side of this is you've got some time, if you use it wisely?

MAKE PLANS..

Personally I make more money now, more consistently, than I've ever made on ebay in over 10 years of ebay selling. I look back now and I see were ebay has run interference on it's site to keep many ebay sellers like myself small, and struggling. They did it on purpose, the rotten bast@rds!

You know...leveling the playing field?? That means giving the new guy the same, or better  advantage to cut your throat and compete on it's site, thereby lowering your profits right into the gutter.

Would of been nice to have some niche products, but I've never been so fortunate to corral a product segment for any length of time.

Ebay's current business model is a failure waiting to happen. You cannot continue to charge overpriced fees on a dwindling market share. So, they are adapting into something that may offer them hope for the future. I might ad, that this process is very painful to watch, and painful to it's current seller base as everyone here realizes.

A tight economy with desperate people trying to survive, is not helping the overall situation either.

Ebay is going to be what ebay wants to become whether we have success on the site, or we're one of the unfortunate, fortunate one's that got squeezed off.

Next month if they need to transition faster, they'll just tighten the screws a little tighter. Nobody ''nobody'' can be perfect whether it be selling or otherwise. Many will be on the cliffs edge before making the obvious decision to vacate the premises.

If you think you're not going to survive on the new ebay, then you probably will not. There are options? Maybe not great, maybe not even so good, but doing nothing but surviving on ebay is not healthy for you.

Ebay is painful eveytime I get a customer email because I have no options? What do you say? How do you approach the situation? Can you tell them something honestly? (NO) Is it better to lie? (PROBABLY) Do you give them a full refund, or dare keep some for the fees? Yada, Yada, whata-world.

BUNCHA BULLSH@T...

All that over a minimum wage gamble were the house wins every single time you roll  the dice, and were you can lose everything for no reason at all?

Ebay's grand experiment to save they're OWN NECK. How do you like the ride so far?? That's why they keep saying to - BUCKLE UP!

Signed, ALL WET.

by: Rich

Tue Aug 4 20:53:51 2009

More changes. We want more changes. More...

by: Rich

Tue Aug 4 20:55:53 2009

by: buck efay

Tue Aug 4 22:16:34 2009

Ebay's customer service rating is about 73% as a company, yet we are supposed to maintain 98%? Do you think any of the crummy diamonds would survive without Ebay greasing the skids by committing fraud & removing truthful feedback? Ebay is crooked. They need to be investigated as the den of thieves they are. Ebay's sellers deserve better.

by: fruity

Wed Aug 5 01:09:37 2009

I think it would be very helpful if ebay could speed up the 7 day auctions to 7 minute auctions. that way sellers wont know when their listings are being shown and wont have enough time to figure out the contact us module to ask the question. Plus all the cheaparoonie buyers would really get deals then. Its a twofer, I hope you will consider it ebay

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Wed Aug 5 02:23:04 2009

@ buck efay

Ebay has a customer service of 73%?

Unbelieveable.

Is this a typo? Shouldn't be closer to 37%?

73% percent means that roughly three out of four persons are happy with ebay customer service.

Simply NOT possible.

by: Bob Unplugged

Wed Aug 5 03:58:21 2009

Like I posted here three days ago. This negative nay-bobbery has got to stop! No one at eBay is forcing you to stay. If you don't like it? Leave! I know if I felt unwelcome at the eVil enterprise I would run the other way!

I wouldn't continue to do business with a company I found immoral! Some posters here could stand a good hard look into the mirror. Then ask themselves what could I do to change my course. If it's leave eBay - then I'd advise doing so immediately!

by: Bully in the schoolyard

Wed Aug 5 05:57:42 2009

re bob unplugged> leave and go where? iOffer, Bonanzle, wenzy, ebid etc all all just little cockroaches compared to the bully in the schoolyard ebay. Better to fight the beast, complain loudly, get revenge - charge would be buyers extra for shipping & handling, charge ebayers 3.00 per question submitted, NO combining, lots of ways to seek justice from a bully, but if its fight or flight - again go where?

by: Ebay Stole My Money

Wed Aug 5 09:45:05 2009

That's right ebay stole my money I mistakenly paid my feed on the U.S. site when I should have paid on the Canadian site. I had the credit card company stop the payment ebay then filed an extremely long rebuttal and had my claim reversed so now they have my money and I'm suspended although they have told me numerous time they would rectify the matter. They are just a bunch of computerized crooks and should be allow to exists.

I've moved my business to ecrater and am developing a Canadian site they will never get another cent out of me.

by: yoyomama

Wed Aug 5 09:53:41 2009

Oh for the days when eBay was cheaper and SIMPLE! Soon eBay rules and regulations will be  as long and complicated as the FEDERAL INCOME TAX CODE. Talk about micro-managing!!!

This user has validated their user name. by: Ed Gadfly

Wed Aug 5 10:20:20 2009

@ Rich "18 months off the eBay crack. Taking it one day at a time. Given myself over to a higher power. The meetings are a drag..."

I hear you Friend - but I do enjoy the coffee as opposed to the kool-aid and you have to admit, a buck a meeting is cheaper than the #greedbay fees.

by: Burn

Wed Aug 5 10:23:06 2009

with eBay getting more and more into what a seller can and can not do I believe the governmant will soon rule that they are more than a middle man (as eBay has always claimed)and demand they collect taxes from sellers and pass them to various government agencies!

by: FlamingoKisses

Wed Aug 5 10:41:36 2009

Ahha!! Now I know the reasoning behind eBay's new insurance required by seller policy. Last night, I received a request for taking a survey from eBay. That is where this info comes from. eBay is going to start selling insurance to sellers. Just another way for eBay to put more monies in their dwindling coffers.  They are without shame!!  ...longtime seller with over 10000 eBay transactions and getting sicker of them every day! Here is link to survey in case you do not have it
izQ

...FlamingoKisses

by: Patricia

Wed Aug 5 10:48:15 2009

Ming is absolutely right - no matter how its told the aim is the same.  Ebay wants small sellers GONE - not all of a once, but gradually while they line up and usher in their diamond sellers.  The few smaller sellers who will be left will be like the ones on Amazon all sitting around waiting for that one sale to buyers looking for used stuff instead of new.

Soon, they will reach the point with each of you when it is just no longer profitable to try to sell on the site.  I reached that a couple of weeks ago and for the first time in 11 years I have nothing listed on Ebay and the stress relief alone is worth it!

Now the part that Ebay never considered important....them being so high up with their noses in the air.  Word of mouth is a powerful thing and Ebay has burned thousands of small seller bridges behind them...this means thousands of ex-ebay sellers (myself included) are out there telling the TRUTH about one unscrupulous company.  Its been going on for over 1 1/2 years now with NO sign of letting up any.  It will take Ebay YEARS - if they can last that long - to outlive their well-deserved tarnished reputation!

by: Laura

Wed Aug 5 10:53:53 2009

This is my big concern about the new insurance policy...

If an item is lost or arrives damaged, the buyer *has* to file the claim.  The seller cannot because only the buyer can attest to the condition.

So, even if I pay for the insurance, there is nothing to compel the buyer to file the claim.

If the buyer just files a claim with paypal and/or ebay for a refund, I'm out the money.  I can't collect from the insurance.

I'm only listing prints and replaceable items on eBay.  No more originals unless this is addressed.

by: Donuthole Ruined eBay

Wed Aug 5 11:03:49 2009

Unfortunatly, ''Bully in the schoolyard'' is right.

eBay has built a giant monopoly on the back of millions of small sellers. In spite of all the small start-ups, eBay is still where the eyeballs are.

It's going to take a MAJOR player to break the back of this beast.

I too, ''quit the eBay crack'' 1 1/2 years ago. I have sold on Craigslist right along & recently opened stores on ioffer & eCrater. There is very little traffic on either, and as of yet NO sales.

I don't make my living at this, so it's no big deal. But for those that do, it is.

I can't understand why eBay hasn't yet been pursued under the anti-trust & anti-competition aspects of their policies.

Hopefully they will soon get some attention from the US government....

by: Buck Efay

Wed Aug 5 11:41:51 2009

Ming, the 73% was from a survey that's almost a year old, and below Amazon's 81%. This was a random survey run by a college, and Ebay's CSR was OVER Amazon's the year before, they were well over 80%. Of course a survey of Sellers today would produce numbers more in line with 37%. It will be interesting to see this years results after all the BS, i'm sure the number will be much lower. It's usually released around October.

1 2 3 4 5 6  [Next Page]