Tue July 28 2009 17:31:41

AuctionBytes Conducts Survey on eBay's July Announcement

eBay made a major announcement on July 27, 2009, outlining changes to its PowerSeller program, feedback, and many other feature and policy changes. We'd like to know what readers think of these changes. Please take ten minutes to complete the survey. It's longer than our usual surveys because there are many changes, but we feel it's important to let readers weigh in on changes coming to eBay in the coming months.

The survey covers 14 different topics and includes a total of 32 questions, along with places to add additional comments at the end of each section, if desired.

Please take the survey, and when you are completed, you'll be brought back to this page. Thanks!

AuctionBytes Conducts Survey on eBay's July Announcement   AuctionBytes Conducts Survey on eBay's July Announcement

by: noneya

Tue Jul 28 19:31:16 2009

After completing the poll it looks like ebay will not be reinstating two way feedback or any other protections for sellers. It does look like a seller will no longer have to be the second coming in order to qualify for PS status, but that was not the reason I left ebay.
I left because of the New Buyer. The smash and grab rules that are strongly tilted in the buyers favor for any and all transactions paid for via paypal.
As paypal is the only form of payment allowed on Ebay I will not be returning as a seller. It's too abusive.

by: joe

Tue Jul 28 20:20:17 2009

Survey completed, can't wait for the results.

by: Tim Hallowell

Tue Jul 28 21:00:04 2009

Well I have been selling on eBay for over 6 years. Open my new online store two years ago at www.tjsvariety.com.  I have been in the retail business for over 20 years mostly in management positions. I thing eBay is trying to make us think about our business and turn inventory better. Yes it does cost more to list and sell in eBay now a days but I look at it as advertisement. I put a thank you letter in every shipment and telling them about my other web site. I am looking at other channels like Amazon. You have to change with the times and try new ways of doing business. EBay does push us to change. Sometimes for the good and other times it’s been challenge.
So at this time I still plan on selling on eBay but always looking at other channels to expand on. I know times are tough right now so the timing might not be the best.
Well that’s all I have for now.

by: Ron

Tue Jul 28 21:03:57 2009

Just completed the survey. Looking over the different initiatives, it appears that eBay is just trying to fill the Diamond Sellers' wish list.  Most of these changes disadvantage sellers of unique, interesting, second-hand, collectible or antique items and advantages high volume sellers of fixed price items with SKUs.  As we all know, the website has basically been hijacked, and eBay's original value proposition has been replaced by one that has faint hope of success because it is not differentiated. They'll float on their strong brand identity for a year or so, until consumers really have no good reason to visit any longer.  eBay at this point is simply adding cost to the price of an item - when the eBay brand starts to fail, and additional costs do not equal added value, the Diamond Sellers will simply move their inventory to their own websites where there is no added cost.

by: EX EBAY SELLER & BUYER

Tue Jul 28 21:10:26 2009

Just finished the survey.eBay has hit sellers hard in the face again.I thought after not selling or buying anything since the middle of last year things might change.With forced Paypal I would never go back and one sided feedback allowing any buyer to screw you for anything.I will stay a EX -Seller and Buyer.

by: Ebay's Slow Death

Tue Jul 28 21:36:58 2009

Ina-

Thank you for the survey! (And, for everything else you do to inform us!)

I too think this is all to make the Diamonds happier.  I doubt if it will help the small Sellers at all.  I would be surprised if any of it did.

by: just me

Tue Jul 28 22:21:23 2009

Its Ebays ballgame.

Play by the rules or go home.

by: Bye Bye Ebay

Tue Jul 28 23:40:08 2009

Ebay is slowly bleeding out. They continue to plow thru sellers and make it known they don't care. I am working on completely transitioning away from them as I have had enough. I have my own sites and have sold on other sites for years as well. The Ebay crew seems to be Dumb And Dumber.

by: Mary

Tue Jul 28 23:41:25 2009

This is even more slanted, making it easier for "Bad Buyers" to screw sellers.

They make it sound good but this will totally put the smaller sellers and casual sellers under.

Well Ebay sellers, hang on to those tighty whities

by: sick of it!

Tue Jul 28 23:43:05 2009

I have been in retail for years, I really enjoyed selling on eBay for years.  Well, no more!  I am sick to death of all the changes, and the way they work.  I wish they would just leave the people who sell do there thing.These rules are crazy and not very helpful.  The PayPal thing was the last straw, along with having to do your mailing through them.  So, I have moved on to much greener pastures....

by: Indyattic

Tue Jul 28 23:43:47 2009

I miss the old eBay. Why in the world is it necessary for them to game the search?

by: kw

Tue Jul 28 23:45:54 2009

Good survey. Covered the main points very well.

I'm sure the Diamond sellers will be happy with the changes unless they have to comply with rule about having items immediately available.  Imagine they will be exempt from that one.

As for smaller sellers all I can say is good luck.

by: Gary

Tue Jul 28 23:57:07 2009

With approximately 4000 listings I am growing very weary. Going to start selling on other sites & am looking in to opening a B&M location. eBay has about worn me out.

by: Watch Seller

Wed Jul 29 00:03:37 2009

I was a Titanium Powerseller on eBay for almost 7 years when I finally said "enough" and left. I saw the writing on the wall and it wasn't good.  I felt that I was building my business on a foundation of sand, with a business partner (eBay) that was continually working against me.

I made the right choice.  It was hard, but I'm glad I left so I'm not mad and cursing every 6 months when eBay changes the rules and raises fees.

by: Mike

Wed Jul 29 00:05:42 2009

If any of my answers remotely appear to indorse Ebay decisions it must have been worded where I didn't fully understand it.
My experience has been whether buyer or seller, Ebay controls every detail to insure you have no control over payment, product receipt, or even the results of a search!
After refunding me 39 cents from a non-paying $1100.00 purchaser and latter, on another transaction, informing me I had to send an Item while Ebay held the money (due to having a feedback of only 95, all positive), I gave up on Ebay. I hope they go away soon so a reputable company can step up to the plate.

by: WebNet

Wed Jul 29 00:09:01 2009

Great survey, doubt ebay will read it!
Joined ebay 1997, powerseller for over 10yrs. Changes have driven me away from the site and cost me my business as a small mom & pop powerseller. Too complicated, too one sided. Favors Diamond sellers and deadbeat bidders. Ebay is a has been website in my opinion. I'd only sell junk from a trashcan on ebay now, that the only profitable items for a small seller. Good bye, good riddance feebay

by: apple crumble

Wed Jul 29 00:11:41 2009

I totally agree with Ron, the sellers of single, one-off, interesting, individual items are being trampled under the rush to turn the site into a Mall. I have to ask, why would a successful really large seller, well-known brand or not, join the EBay process. Surely their own websites are attraction to buyers enough, plus they can work to their own rules (within the law).
It was small sellers and their buyers that made EBay fun years ago when the ethos was entirely different, now the fun has gone and it seems like a teeth gritting experience to remain here.

by: Steve

Wed Jul 29 00:14:29 2009

I love eBay... It's a great place to promote my website and syphon off customers. Not good for much else anymore.

Thank you eBay for building MY customer base.

by: naenae

Wed Jul 29 00:25:16 2009

Wow! It seems that the small sellers are lining the pocketbooks of Ebay for no exposure to sell items.  Im a great small time seller with 100% Feedback but recently learned that 2 buyers left me two 2's (unfarely in Shipping time) since I ship withing 48 hours of being paid and by Priority Mail. It seems if a person pays with an E-check, they dont get their item shipped until the check clears and now they can rate me a 1 or 2 in shipping time.(which is probably what happened in my case) or If the postal service does not deliver in the 3-4 business days as promised, Im paying for it in lower exposure. How is this fare and why would any small time seller remain here?

by: bill

Wed Jul 29 00:27:02 2009

ebay is now just for the money they make them selfs and not for the hard working sellers so when a good site come along that i can make good money on it sellingand my rights as a sell are protected. and i can sell items only in my state or nation that others may not allow i am gone

1 2 3 4 5 6 7  [Next Page]