Fri July 24 2009 10:47:16

Amazon.com Sees Fastest Growth in Third Party Sellers in Q2

Amazon.com said it grew its base of third-party sellers 21% in the second quarter, the fastest growth rate it has seen. Amazon.com CFO Tom Szkutak revealed at yesterday's conference call with analysts that worldwide active seller accounts were more than 1.7 million, and seller units were 30% of total units.

Amazon.com's net sales increased 14% to $4.65 billion in the second quarter, year-over-year. Net income decreased 10% to $142 million in the second quarter year-over-year. See details in today's AuctionBytes Newsflash newsletter.

As always during such conference calls, Amazon.com revealed little to analysts. According to Szkutak, the Zappos acquisition was not about synergies, and he pointed to Amazon.com's acquisition three years ago of Shopbop, a standalone site selling clothing, shoes and accessories.

"We have Zappos and 6PM which will join us," Szkutak said. "We have Shopbop, we have Endless, and we certainly have Amazon.com, all selling in soft lines. Shoes and apparel. And so we're very excited to have all those Web sites with - if you take a look at those Web sites, they have many different brands, they have different customers, they have a different customer experience associated with each of them. So we're very excited to have all those."

Amazon.com Sees Fastest Growth in Third Party Sellers in Q2   Amazon.com Sees Fastest Growth in Third Party Sellers in Q2

by: Joe

Fri Jul 24 10:58:54 2009

14% are all ex-ebay sellers, next quarter will have more...Go Jeff Go...

by: Ebay Pays My Minimum Monthly Payment

Fri Jul 24 10:59:46 2009

I guess their growth will all depend on Ebay's decline.

by: Gary

Fri Jul 24 11:35:09 2009

Jeff Bezos is the best thing to happen to eBay sellers in a long time.

by: ex silver powerseller,

Fri Jul 24 11:47:19 2009

Yup, took John Donuthead's brilliant disruptions to finally get me out of the bay and into a river! JD can kiss my $20,000+ a year in fees bye bye. Great job there, idiotboy.

This user has validated their user name. by: Doc

Fri Jul 24 18:06:22 2009

The car sellers could use an Amazon Motors. Then watch EBM become a ghost town!

by: Karma

Fri Jul 24 19:17:23 2009

ebay Community discussion board is "down"???

Is it just my PC or did they "close" the whole board, punishing everyone who dares to gloat and applaud Amazon.

No fear to write here :-)

by: Ebay Cheats

Fri Jul 24 20:11:28 2009

Ebay removed a neutral and 2 negatives from ideeli. The buyer who left the negatives is suddenly NARU, though he seemed to be in good standing.

by: John

Fri Jul 24 20:26:53 2009

We saw that and posted it on Ina's blog...eBay CEO John Donahoe Shares Thoughts on Q2 Results....Someone should get this onto the buyers central thread in eBay discussion forum. We are not allowed to post there anymore or else we would let the buyers know.

by: Ebay Cheats

Fri Jul 24 20:33:04 2009

If Ebay would stoop to removing feedback from a favored diamond seller and then make the seller NARU, for no seeming good reason, what else do you think they're up to? Is this a trustworthy corporation? Are they cooking the books? Are the actual figures much worse?

A lie is a lie. And a liar is a liar.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is the next Enron. Something's not right at Ebay.

by: John

Fri Jul 24 20:51:19 2009

Here is the link to his ended items. You will need to log into eBay to see it. topqualitycoins had 11 items listed 10 of which recently sold...99% sell through...selling prices ranged from $20.00 to $1200.00

s_W0QQLHQ5fCompleteZ1QQ_dmdZ1QQ_flnZ1QQ_ipgZ50QQ_sopZ12QQ_trksidZp3911Q2ec0Q2em283?V4SOI&_rdc=1&guest=1

by: fruity

Fri Jul 24 23:59:53 2009

Ina! You can locate Jeff Bezos. Ask them if they will host an Amazon University so all the sellers who want to become the very best merchants on Amazon can learn how to do it the AMAZON way! There's no more ebay live anyways, why not toot toot.. have an Amazon LIVE.

They could do it regionally, dual coasts!

by: o.c.d.collectibles

Sat Jul 25 08:06:53 2009

I would love to see a BIG conference of NON ebay execs all get together and gather all their stats of EX ebay sellers who actively list and sell on their sites. Wouldn't that be an interesting compilation of Data?
Not only would it be accurate, but it would present the entire online auction and sales world with some ideas for technological integration so that ebay can be put out of it's misery once and for all.

Besides, I think Pierre is tired of the Court Room battles. He's a Peace and Cool guy, not a fighting guy. He didn't create ebay to be place where there is unrest. I don't blame him for handing the place over to Dennis the Menace to Cremate and Bury it.

Leave him alone, let him peel it down and dump it. I think that's all he really wants to do. Probably Jack Ma is interested in buying Ebay with no crazy American sellers attached scattered all over it.

This way, he can start out from scratch and offer free stores and free software to new sellers like he does on Alibaba and Taobao.

by: Poor Billionaire Pierre

Sat Jul 25 21:17:28 2009

Yeah, I really feel for poor Pierre. Good thing he can dry his tears with hundred dollar bills before he falls asleep in Uncle Scrooge's vault. I guess it gets tiring looking for that vaunted "level playing field" he so enjoys.

by: fruity

Sat Jul 25 21:55:10 2009

I feel for Pierre has as much as I feel for BillCobb. Nah, Pierre is chairman of the board, he could of gotten things fixed but he was too busy.

We should do a meetup in Vegas. It all starts with just a few people and then we can grow.  It'll be like comedy central too. Festivus for the restuvus. we can use spittoons. lol

by: No Mercy For Ebay

Sun Jul 26 20:42:29 2009

I just closed my Ebay store 7-24-09.  I'm going to Amazon.  I saw on Seller Central alot of other sellers have closed their stores.  Ebay is going to lose ALOT of sellers starting tomorrow.  Who would want to sell on Ebay anymore anyway?  Ebay and Paypal are the most dishonest companies I have ever dealt with.  If I ran my business through them, I definitely would be out of businss.  I would never use Paypal.  Customer Service and Seller Protection do NOT exist at Ebay or Paypal.  I only sold for 5 months... couldn't take it anymore... they are so unprofessional... But I am very happy to move on to Amazon!  Honest, I'm so happy and I hope all the ex-Ebay sellers are happier now too.

by: lol

Mon Jul 27 10:50:31 2009

If Amazon opened up an auction section for antiques and collectibles, ebay would be finished, poof, gone, done. lol :D

by: Nonsense

Mon Jul 27 18:46:59 2009

@ John,

Regarding those negative FB's that disappeared and ebay naru'd that guy that left them. I wonder if that was Zappo's ID that they tested the waters with?
They're not selling anything right now and the last FB they left was weeks ago.
It will be interesting to see if ideeli come's back to sell again or not.
Since Amazon bought Zappos and left egg on ebay's face shortly after Stephanie said they were coming aboard, it wouldn't surprise me if ebay was pissed that someone dared leave them negatives so they naru'd them.
Maybe they initially thought that was one of the reasons they weren't going to sell on ebay as their newest diamond seller?

by: Phil in MN

Thu Jul 30 13:09:09 2009

I'm down with getting off Ebay! But as a vintage comic book/music memorabilia seller, Amazon is no good for that kind of thing, and Amazone has a lot of rules & regulations too. I would not consider using Amazon for what I sell, + I hate people tring to dictate what I should charge for S&H.