Mon June 29 2009 23:09:14

eBay Package-Tracking Info May Backfire

eBay began making it easier for buyers to see when their items were shipped, but there may be a lag in the time it takes eBay to update tracking information. The policy was created in part to help sellers achieve higher DSR feedback ratings from buyers who would be more informed about the status of their shipments. But any delays on eBay's part in updating tracking information could actually make sellers look bad in the eyes of their customers.

That's what happened according to a seller on the eBay Technical Issues discussion board. " I just got an angry message from a buyer stating: "HAS THIS COIN BEEN SHIPPED YET? TRACKING # IS NOT SAYING SO." Indeed, when I go to eBay's link it states I gave electronic notification I was thinking of sending a package but nothing else. Meanwhile USPS says its gone all the way from NJ to MO and will probably be delivered tomorrow."

Another person reported they were unable to add tracking information via eBay's Selling Manager Pro listing software.

Providing tracking information to buyers seems like a good idea, but if the information is not updated in a timely manner, it could spell disaster for buyer-seller relations.

eBay Package-Tracking Info May Backfire   eBay Package-Tracking Info May Backfire

by: quirky Old ebay

Mon Jun 29 23:35:06 2009

This can only end badly, But what can you expect from Ebay customer service? It's scary they expect sellers that have been burned repeatedly to trust them to do anything right. Ebay can't even manage their site, now they expect to micromanage the sellers that are left? IDIOTS. Of course, calling CSR reps is a waste, they'll just tell you "it's quirky old Ebay" yet another way to destroy good sellers.

by: eBuyer Feedback

Mon Jun 29 23:39:18 2009

I'm sure glad I use Stamps.com instead of eBay tracking.  All I do is print the label and it automatically emails my customer and provides them a link to track their package.

by: Ebay is run by monkeys

Tue Jun 30 00:09:05 2009

I have always let my customers know as soon as I ship, and have no interest in Ebay's CSR monkeys doing my job for me.

by: TekGems

Tue Jun 30 01:20:33 2009

eBay should tie shipping to paypal.

by: Jessy S.

Tue Jun 30 01:23:06 2009

I don't use Paypal/eBay for shipping.  I just go to the nearest post office or UPS location for my shipping needs.  When it comes to my buyers, I always inform them when shipping is going to take place.  If a buyer requests a tracking number I give it to them if it is via UPS or let them know when the post office will likely deliver the package they brought.  I had just one mixup with UPS on shipping, but that was resolved because I never printed out a shipping label with eBay.

by: Lisa

Tue Jun 30 06:16:35 2009

The problem isn't eBay updating, the problem is that using electronic postage and taking advantage of free DC means the item won't be scanned when it's picked up by the carrier or dropped off at the post office.  Those packages aren't scanned until the next point of delivery scans it when it receives is.  Simply buying the postage and printing the label won't provide more than a note saying exactly what the complainant received.  Shipment has been requested but package has not been scanned at the intake facility.  As much as it pains me to say it, this isn't eBay's updating issue it's the Postal Service's policy to not scan electronically generated DC that was not purchased online but instead was free (mostly with priority).  Whether you use Endicia, Stamps, the post office's e-postage, etc., this is the message you will get when initial postage is purchased.

by: unaware

Tue Jun 30 07:02:46 2009

Here is another case where the buyer is going to need to be educated by the sellers (eBay can't be trusted to do it right or even do it at all) that a electronically generated DC will not show up for a day or two in the USPS system and that the USPS system is not a ''real time'' package tracking system like those run by UPS or FEDEX... the USPS system is only good for exactly what it is called.... Delivery Confirmation... NOT Package Tracking. Many of my USPS shipments are delivered even before the USPS system shows it being in route. Buyers are going to have to be educated that the USPS system can only prove if something was delivered or not after the fact... it can't normally be used to track a package in anything like ''real'' time. I don't send anyone the DC number unless they ask but I DO send a shipment confirmation e-mail with the statement ''your purchase shipped today via USPS Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation''.... so far the method has worked almost flawlessly. Now eBay is going to cause aggravation when there needs to be none because they won't take the time (or money) to actually educate the buyers about it!

BTW, Ina.... I have not seen anything written yet about the new Amazon policy that will require a confirmation of shipment by the seller before Amazon charges the buyer (and pays the seller).... and the new Amazon method asks for a Delivery Confirmation number as well.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ina

Tue Jun 30 07:16:30 2009

Hi Unaware,
I wrote about Amazon's Charge When Ship on June 18th, would love to hear what sellers think about the program.

by: just me

Tue Jun 30 08:07:17 2009

Ebay couldn't boil water without burning it.

MORONS are trying to drive the ship while it is in drydock.

by: joe

Tue Jun 30 08:13:12 2009

Ina
I was looking to comment on Amazons new shipping policy, but you did not link or allow comments to the story at the time.

by: Dan

Tue Jun 30 09:14:52 2009

The problem isn't clear if it is a post office problem with providing updated info or eBay's.

EBay has botched a lot of things, but this article assumes that this tracking problem is eBay's fault and that may not be true.

A lot of packages with USPS delivery confirmation never get scanned until the time of delivery and the message the USPS gives when these packages are tracked is ambiguous at best as to whether the package is even in the hands of the post office.

by: Real Ebay Seller

Tue Jun 30 09:25:22 2009

Ebay, Paypal & the US Postal Service do a WONDERFUL job at completing my sales.
The issues with these 3 companies is minimal.
For the amount of selling, funding & shipping I've had a very small number of mishaps over the last 9 years! I could count them on one hand!
Ebay Works & Works Well. :-)

by: Rob

Tue Jun 30 09:30:05 2009

The problem isn't the USPS non-scan issue at all.

The problem is that Ebay isn't updating the USPS status on the EBAY site when the USPS site HAS updated the status.  Very different problem.

Not sure why this is such a big deal since there is also a link to the actual USPS site for tracking.

After postage is purchased via paypal, USPS autmatically sends an email to the buyer with a tracking link.  I also send my own email with a seperate tracking link.

The only place not being updated is the Ebay buyer item details page - which in my experience - most buyers don't access (or even know it exists).

This is a new feature that is gonna have glitches (like every ebay ''new'' feature...shoot, even many ''old'' features).  But the concern here is over-blown.

by: Rich

Tue Jun 30 09:57:38 2009

Re Amazon: It appears sellers will be coerced or required to add delivery confirmation to each sale. This amounts to yet another fee increase and inconvenience. Furthermore, Amazon has not increased its postage allotment to sellers despite 2 recent USPS rate increases. The ''not all eggs in one basket'' approach should be taken with AZ as well as feeBay. I am thinking of adding a buck or two across the board on my Az inventory and double listing on my own web site. Book sellers are being undermined by Kindle, Buy back from Az, and this latest ''Ship before pay'' crapolla. I'm looking for plan D, E, and F...

by: Patricia

Tue Jun 30 12:13:26 2009

Trust Ebay to institute complex new programs then be thoroughly unprepared.  All they had to do was what Amazon already did.  Use a window of time and do not allow even feedback until that window has been reached or passed.  When you buy something on Amazon they issue a window of dates to expect your item to arrive.  Its ample time for both the buyer and the seller.  Simple and makes sense.  Of course - Ebay does everything in a "Rube Goldberg" sort of way jumbling everything up and making no sense!

by: Ebay hamster

Tue Jun 30 12:19:22 2009

INa said the seller could find the tracking info at usps.com, so it was available, just not thru Ebay. Next time read the post before hitting reply.

quote" " I just got an angry message from a buyer stating: "HAS THIS COIN BEEN SHIPPED YET? TRACKING # IS NOT SAYING SO." Indeed, when I go to eBay's link it states I gave electronic notification I was thinking of sending a package but nothing else. Meanwhile USPS says its gone all the way from NJ to MO and will probably be delivered tomorrow.""

by: unaware

Tue Jun 30 14:38:50 2009

Ina... I had missed the info you had posted earlier about the Amazon change, sorry.
Ebay hamster... most buyers don't know enough to go direct into the USPS system to see what they have to say. If eBay is going to provide a system to inform a buyer of a Delivery Confirmation number then they at least should be as up to date with their information as the USPS, or else they are just going to cause more aggravation then help... which I think was the point of Ina's original post in the first place.

by: Tekg

Tue Jun 30 16:01:19 2009

Wouldn't it just be better if eBay linked to USPS?instead of providing outdated tracking info? KISS

by: unaware

Tue Jun 30 17:40:35 2009

Hey, just as a funny side note... did anyone notice the USPS Flat Rate Box TV commercial with the two robots on the counter top... the funny thing is I don't think that even one of those robots would fit in any of the flat rate boxes that the USPS offers... and I am CERTAIN one would not fit with any type of protective wrapping over it. A experienced shipper would realize this with little trouble. Leave it to the USPS to use a example of a item THAT WOULD NOT FIT in a flat rate box in a commercial for flat rate box shipping!

by: Ken

Tue Jun 30 17:48:29 2009

Quote: "Providing tracking information to buyers seems like a good idea...."

While I agree 100% with your statement, you FORGOT to mention that USPS ONLY offers "tracking" with EXPRESS mail.

ANY other class of mail can ONLY have DELIVERY confirmation which is NOT tracking info, ie the ONLY GUARANTEED scan is when the package is delivered and obviously useless to the buyer, since they know when they got the item!!! The item MAY or may not get scanned enroute.

As a result, unless eBay is willing to clarify the difference [which they don't for simplicities sake they claim], I would like to OPT OUT until the USPS does go to full tracking info, probably several years from now.

1 2 3 4  [Next Page]