Thu May 28 2009 08:51:42

Auctiva to Start Charging Fees for eBay Seller Tools

Auctiva, an eBay Certified Solutions Provider that provides popular listing tools to eBay sellers for free will begin charging fees, it will tell sellers today. The company uses a number of ways to earn revenue, including third-party agreements, its shipping insurance program, and through revenue it generates through eBay's affiliate program.

Auctiva was mum on exactly why it was making the changes, telling its customers: "The e-Commerce landscape is constantly evolving, and it has always been our promise to you to provide a full e-Commerce solution that will meet your needs today, tomorrow and in the future. As a result, we will have to begin charging for some of our services. Despite this adjustment, we remain committed to providing you with great tools at a great value and we've worked hard to develop pricing plans that will be affordable for all sellers."

However, eBay acknowledged it was making changes to its affiliate program, as we report in today's AuctionBytes Newsflash:

Auctiva, Vendio and a few others "affiliatized" their seller tools, but eBay said the two programs have different purposes. Affiliate marketing is to drive incremental sales from people who aren't already engaged with eBay, and it wants to make a clear distinction between that program and the seller tools model. Other seller tools providers who are enrolled in the eBay Partner Network (ePN) affiliate program include InkFrog, AuctionSound, EZLister.net, Iwascoding, My StoreCredit, Seller Sourcebook and AutoRevo.

Note that eBay said seller tools providers enrolled in ePN are welcome to use traditional affiliate marketing methods to generate revenue, and then use that revenue to fund their seller tools.

There's a lot of news to absorb - you can read the full details in today's AuctionBytes Newsflash:

"eBay Sellers Squeezed with Auctiva's Move from Free to Fee" (link)

"eBay Adjusts Affiliate Program to Reign in Seller Tools" (link)

Auctiva to Start Charging Fees for eBay Seller Tools   Auctiva to Start Charging Fees for eBay Seller Tools

by: Jennifer

Thu May 28 09:45:34 2009

It was clear to anyone who looked at their model that the only reason Auctiva was able to offer it's services for free was because of it's affiliate income. It was also clear that eventually eBay would put a stop to it since the traffic they were ''driving'' to eBay was generally directed off of eBay through Auctiva's scrolling gallery to Auctiva then back to eBay. There is no reason eBay would want to be making affiliate payouts for traffic that was on it's site to begin with.

I only use Auctiva for picture hosting but may swtich to another service (we'll see once they are able to tell me how much space my pics are using up!).

by: Ebay Pays My Bills

Thu May 28 09:50:28 2009

I don't use third party services on Ebay.

My ads are simple and straight forward.

I see no need to spend the extra money on something not needed.

Ebay's easy enough, why complicate things! ! !

This user has validated their user name. by: Ed Gadfly

Thu May 28 09:54:54 2009

When I had to use Auctiva, I got what I paid for in the form of sluggish loading and frequently unavailable web sites.

As a buyer I refuse to use the awkward and non-functioning checkout system.

eBay sellers must be a bottomless money source for eBay, PayPal, the US Postal Service and now Auctiva. They must have big pockets because there is always room for another hand to pluck the random profit.

Will Auctiva offer a deal for the Power Sellers at the literal expense of the Mom and Pops?

The question for eBay sellers is ''ARE YOU GETTING WHAT YOU PAY FOR?''

Well, are you?

by: Jeff Stannard

Thu May 28 09:55:13 2009

I noticed ROVER links embedded into the yellow button ebay-issued messages back in april.  Of course now I can't verify this, because the embedded url's on the yellow buttons I have archived in my email account point to either cm.ebay or contact.ebay.  Ina, this might be worth an inquiry as to ebay using affiliate links within their own messages.  Any body else notice this?  I swear I'm not going crazy.

by: Jake

Thu May 28 09:55:52 2009

@Ebay Pays My Bills

What a stupid comment..so you like paying eBay for extra photos, timed auction starts and templates etc etc...ALL of which should be free to sellers anyway

by: fred

Thu May 28 09:59:54 2009

Just too many fees. I will be forced to drop Auctiva and soon after ebay. Impossible to make any money when you sell low dollar merchandise.

by: brain162

Thu May 28 10:06:02 2009

the only thing that belongs to ACTIVIA on our ads, is the rolling show of what's there. Didn't ask for it, they can have it back when ever they want! ARE LISTINGS ARE THERE FOR PEOPLE TO SEE AND READ, NEVER ASKED FOR IT & WON'T PAY FOR IT!

by: Ebay Pays My Bills

Thu May 28 10:06:42 2009

I host my own pictures on my own website.

I do pay Ebay .10 for start times.

I don't use any templates.

My ads cost .80

$9.99 starting price in 2 catagories and .10 starting time.

I wish Ebay would have extended time auctions. I would happily pay an extra .25 for that feature. . .

by: Kal

Thu May 28 10:23:56 2009

Ina, any idea if this change affect the "classic" line of software from Auctiva: eBud and ePoster? I've been using/paying for these programs for many years and still use them. I'd hate to loose them, or have them cost MORE. They cost enough already.

by: Mitzi

Thu May 28 10:35:46 2009

Well, what a way to start my day - I just love waking up to horrible news. I do all my listing on eBay with Auctiva and have for the last 2 years. I'm interested to see what they will want me to pay - though I doubt I will pay it. Selling on eBay is expensive enough as it is. Guess it's time to start working on a template for the SYI form.

by: ebay = penny stock

Thu May 28 10:38:07 2009

HAHAHA Not all you auctiva people who use there corrupt check out will have to pay for it.

Makes my day.

by: DCS Body Jewelry

Thu May 28 10:44:52 2009

Well....I guess it's time to switch to Ink Frog. I've been happy with auctiva, but for a flat $9.99 a month whith no transaction fees...Ink Frog offers all the same features Auctiva's much pricer plan offers, and you can insure packages through Ink Frog for .55 cents per $50 value.

Man...when it rains it pours when it comes to ebay related crap. Every time we turn around there's more bad news related to doing business on Ebay...and all the third party solution providers seem to be jumping on the band wagon looking to capitalize yielding healthy profit margins while ebay vendors make less and pay more.

by: 30 day eviction

Thu May 28 10:45:16 2009

So if we decide not to pay the fees are they just going to toss all my images in just 30 days? Will all my photos in my ebay store not be available?

THEY BETTER HAVE A WAY FOR ME TO DOWNLOAD MY IMAGES BACK TO MY COMPUTER!!!

This REALLY makes me made at Auctiva!!!! I feel that they should have giving us more then a 30 day eviction notice! They have been making money off of us through their affiliate program for years!

by: Patty

Thu May 28 10:49:44 2009

As much as you want to rail against Auctiva, you can be pretty certain the ROOT CAUSE is eBay taking away some revenue stream that Auctiva once got and keeping it for themselves. Now that whatever that revenue stream was is gone, they need to make it up from someplace else. In other words, you the sellers. I'm sure Auctiva isn't 100% to blame here nor being a greedy little Ebeneezer Scrooge.

by: Patricia

Thu May 28 10:57:02 2009

This doesn't bother me.  I host my own auction images using a section of my own website.  About the only third party item in my listings is Vendio's free counters but I don't really need them either.

by: bub bye

Thu May 28 10:59:49 2009

They think they will keep 70% of the sellers by charging listing fees,
commission, storage AND monthly subscriptions?

Too funny! Auctivia doesn't bring in any buyers, they can easily be replaced!

by: Just-an-Observation

Thu May 28 11:12:01 2009

''...and guesses about 70 percent of Auctiva customers will stick with his company's tools...''

So thirty percent is acceptable collateral damage? Many people depend on these services being free (pictures and such). My goodness...Is Craigslist the only company that has yet to be bitten by the greed bug?

I guess your (Jeff Schlicht) grossly over-estimating how many Auctiva users will remain and pay.

Part Time Seller plan costs $9.95/month and (not to mention MORE number juggling and dipping) 6 cents/listing plus a 1 percent transaction fee. 1 million users with a projected customer retention of 70% equals 700,000 users paying the most basic fee of $9.95 x 700,000 users = $6,965,000 per month - WOW!!! Am I adding correctly?

Everybody's got their sticky fingers in every possible orifice of the sellers, squeezing and taking every last penny they can - turning many into third world employees, burning the candle at both ends for everybody else but themselves (eBay fees, store fees, Paypal fees, USPS fees [increasing bi-yearly], shipping caps, UPS fees, Fedex fees, etc..), and now Auctiva fees.

Geez... do ya think we can make a dollar or two at some point? Sellers are working with extremely low profit margins as it is (if any these days). Countless good sellers have been put out of business by the evil empire already.

Too bad, because, your going to p*ss the sellers off so much they'll simply use another service that offers more, like Inkfrog, or Vendio, especially if they have to pay...

jmo

by: Clara

Thu May 28 11:28:56 2009

Jeff started ePoster in 1998. He created a clean and easy to use interface to list on eBay. For the first few years it was reliable and a real time saver. I could list twice the number of auctions than using the eBay form or Turbo Lister.

I was one of his first customers and had no problem paying fees for a good service. Sell through was 80% and it increased my bottom line and allowed Jeff to quit his day job and focus on building his own business.

But like everything else eBay related the changes and growth forced everyone to adapt to doing business with eBay. ePoster became Auctiva and eBay....well has become unrecognizable. I used the Auctiva paid service until I stopped selling in 2006 when I saw the handwriting on the wall.

The bottom line is that if Jeff and Auctiva have to go with now charging fees it must be for a reason. He has a big company now with all of the pressures that involves, and has to deal with eBay.

by: Michael Levit

Thu May 28 11:35:02 2009

Tought economy and tough times on eBay... doesn't seem like the time to be raising fees for sellers.  Vendio will work on a special free offer for Auctiva customers to help you through this rough time!

by: buriedbybooks

Thu May 28 11:40:07 2009

Regardless of the reason, those fees are excessive and aren't in any way competitive. The service offered by Auctiva is sub-standard and no one is going to pay MORE for it when they can get better service from some of the other services.

1 2 3 4 5  [Next Page]