Mon Apr 6 2009 09:20:04

eBay's Seller-Targeted Ads - You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet

Sellers have been noticing ads appearing on My eBay, where members manage their accounts. ("eBay has inserted annying Flash Advertising banners that are immune to banner blocking in to My eBay pages," wrote one seller.) But that's nothing compared to what may be coming.

InternetNews.com reported that eBay has plans to introduce interstitial ads targeting sellers. "For example, Mancini said that it's likely eBay eventually will be able to generate targeted, interstitial (define) ads to specific kinds of sellers - for example, a program designed to help baseball card dealers. eBay would foot the bill for such promotions."

As the news site explains, interstitials are those pages that appear in a separate browser window while you wait for a Web page to load. We can just imagine how thrilled sellers will be to have added delays when trying to manage their eBay sales.

eBay's Seller-Targeted Ads - You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet   eBay's Seller-Targeted Ads - You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet

by: MsFish213

Mon Apr 6 09:37:39 2009

Guess I am going to have to find a great pop up blocker for my browser!

by: annoyed

Mon Apr 6 09:50:53 2009

Not only are the current ads annoying but, more often than not, I have to reload screens to get the needed information to appear.  Just another ebay frustration for users.

by: are they paying us?

Mon Apr 6 10:07:58 2009

This is annoying junk free ads for their spam mail. I would hope they would compensate the buyers with these illegal ads.

by: 337969

Mon Apr 6 10:22:07 2009

Maybe ebay was not aware that perhaps there will  be some future legislation regarding such activity. Oh well, they can spend millions lobbying against it if they have not yet.
JMO, I feel most internet users probably oppose these behavioral marketing techniques, and given the chance will oppose it whether being used by ebay or others.

search this term:

"FTC Staff Proposes Online Behavioral Advertising Privacy Principles"

by: FF fan

Mon Apr 6 11:39:14 2009

I miss out on most of these ads. I use Firefox browser and I have a great add-on that blocks most flash. You have the choice to click on it if you want to see it.  I have to do that to see my dashboard.  It's the best....especially against those annoying blinking/flashing ones!

by: Angela

Mon Apr 6 12:06:29 2009

I also use Firefox & Ad-Blocker, but I do turn it off from time to time just to see what the customers are seeing.  I suggest you try it. You'll be amazed at how horrible their pages look these days.

by: RicRoe

Mon Apr 6 12:24:12 2009

Add me to the list of Firefox fans.

So far, I am not seeing any ads on eBay since installing Firefox browser and installing the adblock add on.

Even Flash displays appear with just a box and a Flash logo that you click on if you want to see the content, otherwise you only see the box with the logo.

Firefox also seems to load most eBay pages faster than Explorer, since I installed the Java Quick start add on.

by: Mitch weiner dog, San Jose, Ca

Mon Apr 6 12:35:54 2009

LOoks like there are bonuses for not upgrading my flash player. If I ever saw these ads, I'd click them into new windows, over & over & over, just to cost Ebay a few pennies every click. What scum.

by: Scriptorical

Mon Apr 6 12:38:32 2009

@@@ RicRoe......I have found it is so easily customized that it makes working with eBay so much faster and easier.

Dud, you shouldn't have said that. Once eBay reads that its faster and easier their gonna have to fix it....Wink!

www.scriptorical.com

by: Patricia

Mon Apr 6 12:57:28 2009

There seems to be no end to the ways in which Ebay can annoy its customers to death!  I could be wrong but it sure seems like desperate acts to me.

First quarter report is coming out very soon now and will tell the sad tale.  BOD better sever Donahoe and his crew the time is getting late ;-)

by: ebya=penny stock

Mon Apr 6 13:09:29 2009

Stockholders, Analysts and members of the board are as out of touch as Donna Hole. They are hoping against all odds that everything will turn rosy again.

They could be compared to GM Stockholders and Bondholders. The greedy companies soon will fall and the laugh will be on them. So well deserved.

Ming is so correct. Death to Ebay in 2009

by: Kal

Mon Apr 6 15:00:06 2009

Firefox + AdBlock Plus + the US Subscription. You won't see ANY ads on eBay ANYWHERE. In fact you won't see any ads anywhere else for that matter!

Great combination I don't understand why people complain about ads when there is a way to eliminate them.

by: Gail

Mon Apr 6 15:16:40 2009

Why is anyone, ANYONE, opening a web page these days without a pop-up blocker and an ad-blocker firmly in place?  They are just as essential as an anti-virus program.  Mine just blocked 10 banners on this page alone.

by: Auld Cynical

Mon Apr 6 15:57:31 2009

If you're using Firefox also check out the add-on BetterPrivacy. Both Ebay and Paypal use the Local Shared Object feature of Flash. Cookies you can't even see.

by: Kitty

Mon Apr 6 18:17:35 2009

I love the Fiefox pop up blocker.

Good thing I have it, too.

Flashing, blinking ads are bad for those of us with epilepsy.  (well that and the total slow down of the page load is bad for all).

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Mon Apr 6 21:00:32 2009

Ebay's going to slap as many ads into as many possible spaces as it can find until it looks like a garish flashing blinking online version of one of those free Penny Power type ad tabloids.

Ebay, thy name today is Tacky.

by: Mitch weiner dog, San Jose, Ca

Mon Apr 6 22:28:47 2009

Thanks for the tips, downloaded firefox & playing around with it now. Suck it, Ebay, nobody wants to see more ads & waste more time for nothing.

On another topic, I see the Ebay/Liveworld crew have been busy today banning posters & removing inconvenient truths on the forums, I guess the number for Q1 2009 look WAY worse then anyone imagined. Nah Nah Nah Nah, Nah Nah Nah Nah, Oh Donut Hole, Goodbye!!!

by: Patricia

Tue Apr 7 12:35:35 2009

speaking of firefox and ebay's discussion boards there is an add-on (someone might know the name of it) for firefox that allows you to eliminate anything on a page and it stays that way.  You can customize the discussion board right back to the way it used to be and better.  Get rid of all the clutter.  I love it.

by: formercanadianpowerseller

Tue Apr 7 14:56:33 2009

Ever think that eBay is getting rid of auction style as these ads would interfere with auction end times?
Pages taking too long to load would have a huge impact on final selling price in auction format.

Mmmmmmmm....no wonder eBay lied and said most people prefer Buy it now.
You can place lots of ads on those pages, right?

Always a different motive than what they tell the public.

I'm going bankrupt next month because of these lies.

Thanks eBay.

by: Kitty

Tue Apr 7 18:26:31 2009

@ canadianpowerseller

I hope you plan on listing elsewhere.  eBay may be the best game in town, but it isn't the only game.

Sorry about your profit downturn.

I suggest a simple website and list other places to feature your website.

Sad when you can make more money slinging burgers than selling on eBay now days....