Thu Feb 26 2009 08:17:41

eBay Sellers Critique PayPal Notification Emails

eBay sellers were taken by surprise when PayPal changed their payment notification emails a week ago. It appears there are some things that sellers like, but a common complaint is that the font size is too small and the change from black to gray writing makes it very difficult to read.

"It is like looking at the warnings on a box of Advil," wrote one seller.

In addition, the Description section no longer has a clickable link back to the original eBay listing page.

"Many times I use this link to review my original listing before packing and shipping a purchase," wrote another seller. "Now I have to go through multiple steps to get back to the listing page."

Neither PayPal nor eBay announced the change, and some sellers initially thought the emails were phishing attempts. "Once again PayPal and eBay didn't bother to give us a heads up about the changes before implementing them," wrote a seller named Steve, who also sent an email to eBay that was read during Wednesday evening's Town Hall meeting. "I don't understand why PayPal and eBay don't explain why the changes are made. They could head-off a lot off bad feelings and ill will by simply communicating changes with their customers before they take effect and explaining their rationale."

Steve said he does like the "Buyer" section that includes the buyer's name, eBay ID and email address. "It's nice to have all that information in one place for easy reference," he said. And he likes that the "Note to Seller" section has a prominent place. "Hopefully more sellers will now pay attention to notes added to payments. The "Note to Seller" section was previously buried at the end of the email."

Update: You can view larger images of the PayPal notifications here (200k).

eBay Sellers Critique PayPal Notification Emails   eBay Sellers Critique PayPal Notification Emails

by: paypal scum news

Thu Feb 26 08:42:26 2009

Of course they want to make it as difficult as possible for sellers. If you can't read it, you can't withdraw  the funds faster. If it is confusing , you will delete it ( they hope) without invsetiagting. Paypal is awful and has always been anti-seller.

by: Lester

Thu Feb 26 08:57:39 2009

I haven't received a payment lately, but when I do, the Paypal email is always in TEXT, not HTML. I'm sure this is a setting I have in my profile, but I'm wondering does this new format change also affect the text notices ''look''?

Anybody know?

by: voodoo

Thu Feb 26 08:58:53 2009

Why would anyone expect anything else from either of them.

They have proven time and time again the you sellers don't count.

Wake up.

by: Lester

Thu Feb 26 09:00:35 2009

Ina, it would be helpful if in the future when you post a article that includes images, to make the image link to a full size photo so we can see the details. The reduced photos you typically post with the articles are so small you can't see what you're trying to explain. Please consider this for future postings, and thank you.

by: katydidscards

Thu Feb 26 09:11:54 2009

I'm with the majority of sellers on this. I hate that the link to the listing being paid for is gone, I feel it's always important to double check that I'm shipping the right thing. With the older notice (with link) I could pop a new tab up in Firefox and do a visual confirmation right there. Now it's that many more hoops to jump through. Very annoying.

by: RicRoe

Thu Feb 26 09:27:58 2009

Returniong to readable black text instead of the difficult to read grey text should be a rather elementary and simple fix which will probably only take PayPal about 18 months to correct. In the intervening 18 months we will probably see every color of the rainbow rolled out due to a 'glitch' caused by a probrammer who has forgotton what the setting is for black text.

eBay and PayPal preperation, execution and implementation of changes once again confirms eBay is the Gang That Can Not Shoot Straight.

This user has validated their user name. by: David Steiner

Thu Feb 26 09:28:04 2009

@lester

There are some constraints on the width of an image that we can post. I've added a link to the bottom of the blog post to a larger-sized image of the PayPal notifications.

by: unsurprised

Thu Feb 26 09:46:49 2009

They must have something to gain by doing that. Same way they do the change funding options links, in tiny font, subdued colors.
People should go to youtube and search for 'paypal row' where they will see a video of paypal employees in training. Then ask yourselves whether you trust those people or the ones that hire & train them with your finances or well-being on any level

by: 108485

Thu Feb 26 10:19:28 2009

Why would they get rid of the link? It just makes the whole process even more  cumbersome and time consuming.

Do they not understand how people use their site?

Really what would be the reason (other then ignorance)?  eBay needs new management and BOTH Paypal and eBay need a usability specialists.

by: Henry N

Thu Feb 26 10:46:35 2009

I am going to put the same comment here as I did on another post which I think sums up eBay's current management team.  Question: What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?  Answer: Frankly we don't know and don't care!  Enough said.

by: 116231

Thu Feb 26 10:49:30 2009

BTW nice photo!

by: MsFish213

Thu Feb 26 12:09:24 2009

I realize everyone has their own way of doing things, but I NEVER open email from Ebay and/or Paypal.  It is the number one way to get scammed .  I just delete and go right to the official site.  Sign in Paypal, create the label (as of yesterday, the link in Paypal on the payment for the item was still live), print the label and Im done.

by: 990936

Thu Feb 26 13:55:08 2009

@MsFish

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I thought the link I use when signed into Paypal was the one they were removing.

Yeah, I too just delete ALL email from eBay and Paypal.

by: Lester

Thu Feb 26 14:04:03 2009

Dave---

Thank you for adding the link to the larger images. That was kind of what I had in mind (I meant to make the image a link, which would show the larger image), but what you did accomplishes the same thing. PLEASE do this from now on when adding images in the commentary area.

by: mindelec

Thu Feb 26 14:27:06 2009

@lester

i get the emails in text format too.  the layout has changed some, but nothing that i can't work with.

by: nandercan

Thu Feb 26 15:14:46 2009

Don't use ebay or Paypal and just be done with the whole manipulative mess!

e

Ebay
Stockholders and Sellers Calling For Immediate Termination of John Donohoe CEO Petition

by: patricia

Thu Feb 26 16:00:21 2009

The trend everywhere seems to be microscopic type font and plenty of unused white space.  What a drag!  Wish I could find these people who think printing something illegible to most is a great thing!  Its stupid!  Ebay and now Paypal have been told over and over again that small illegible type fonts are not what their users want and yet they pig-headedly continue.  Its to the point where I simply keep a magnifying glass next to my monitor!

by: Simply doesn't care what happens to either of em

Thu Feb 26 19:42:29 2009

one way to eliminate - open a Google Account - Proudly I announce that of the 25 sales I had yesterday, ONLY two were Paypal!  Just not us (the sellers) hammering on them, looks like the buyers have increasingly become dissatisfied with the 'twins'!

by: @nandercan

Fri Feb 27 06:27:44 2009

That link to sign the petition does not work. Maybe sleezebay shut it down already.

by: a_c_green

Fri Feb 27 12:39:41 2009

Yes, the text-type notifications also had their clickable links removed. While I am annoyed at that loss of convenience, I have to grudgingly admit that I probably know why: we are continuously warned never to click a link in an email to log in to a secure site, due to the usual phishing concerns, and yet here was a legitimate email from PayPal that offered to let us do exactly that, so they weren't exactly reinforcing what they preached.