Sun Feb 15 2009 21:53:06

EveryPlaceISell Reveals Multi-Channel Trends of eBay Sellers

By: David Steiner

Nearly 2,600 online merchants have created free listings in the EveryPlaceISell.com merchant directory since we launched it in the Fall, revealing some interesting trends in multi-channel selling behavior among small and medium sized sellers. For example, 73% of the merchants who have created a directory entry maintain listings on more than one ecommerce site, and 45% of merchants maintain listings on more than two sites.

So where are EveryPlaceISell.com merchants listing? 1,210 EPIS merchants have a Bonanzle booth, 896 list on eBay, and 693 have an eBay Store. 391 merchants list on eCrater, 295 on Etsy and 276 on Amazon.

Note that these statistics were gathered on the morning of February 15, 2009, so it's likely they have already changed a bit as more listings have been added and others have been updated. The latest numbers of listings by venue are available by going to http://everyplaceisell.com/cgi-bin/ep/ep.pl?sites, here are the results as of this morning:

Consider this a snapshot of the directory data - we'll periodically aggregate data from EPIS and update it here on the AuctionBytes blog.

EveryPlaceISell Reveals Multi-Channel Trends of eBay Sellers   EveryPlaceISell Reveals Multi-Channel Trends of eBay Sellers

by: claypipe

Sun Feb 15 22:33:44 2009

We sold on eBay as sellers in the top 10%. check out our user name above in the http://dsrwatch.com/   for verification. Ebay told us they didn't want us as sellers anymore so we now sell on BONANZLE. They allow a link to our website www.scriptorical.com in our profile and let us sell our way. They don't force things down our throats to sell. Glad BONANZLE came along.

by: georgep656

Sun Feb 15 23:24:48 2009

Bonanzle is very easy to use. Fast listing of items. Much more friendly and Bonanzle wants sellers and works hard to answer questions, also they are from a real person. My both is http://www.bonanzle.com/booths/georgep656. I really like bonanzle.

by: Patricia

Sun Feb 15 23:42:05 2009

This is a good indication of what is happening to Ebay.  A year ago sellers listing on Ebay would have been clear off that chart....now they come in second to a small startup site.

by: Linda Smith

Sun Feb 15 23:44:35 2009

I became Extremely Disenchanted with Ebay. This is a euphemism for how I REALLY feel about ebay. I wandered abit and finally stumbled by luck upon Bonanzle. VERY HAPPY there. great support and a friendly community that actually WANTS ME as a seller! What a refreshing change! GO BIG ''B''!!

by: tomwayne

Mon Feb 16 00:44:57 2009

Go Bonanzle. THE place for sellers. Great support, easy to use, friendly people, inexpensive fees, and the FASTEST growing seller marketplace. #1 by November 2009!

by: Multi-Channel Girl

Mon Feb 16 00:59:02 2009

Until Bonanzle becomes the place for BUYERS why should I care as a Seller... Bonanzle continues to hide their sell ratio and that is why we are not fully committed.  Competitive reason is deceptive at best.

by: not shilling bonanzle

Mon Feb 16 01:00:33 2009

show us the buyers ...

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Mon Feb 16 01:06:15 2009

BONANZLE CHEERLEADERS:

What is your sell through rate?

What is the ASP?

Claims without documentation are just than until they're proven.

Bonanzle may be a wonderful venue -- the answer to ebay sellers' prayers.

However, Bonanzle surrogates are annoying a lot of potential customers with all this rah rah junk like we heard incessantly about OLA (RIP) for so long.

Post some statistics, and if Bonanzle is short on buyers and actual sales, then tell us what Bonanzle plans to do to entice buyers to their site.

Some facts, please.

by: Kathy

Mon Feb 16 01:54:33 2009

I'm a buyer only on Bonanzle.
I learned about Bonanzle here on Auctionbytes last year.

There are 30,495 total members as I post this.
Of those members there are 9,042 booths.  Stats are on their People page.
I've seen sellers that have Bonanzle transaction Feedbacks that are over 100, a few have over 200 already.
Some are struggling, but that happens on every venue.

If you're a saavy seller and know how to use Google Base the buyers will find you, not matter what venue you're on.
I've been buying there for several months and so far I've been happy with everything. The sellers seen downright cheerful. I guess not having ebay breathing down their necks and taking a large cut sure makes a difference to them.

by: GazLanNaThai

Mon Feb 16 02:16:40 2009

I do wonder to what extent desperation to attract traffic and buyers has skewed those results.

Additionally, Auctionbytes and EPIS are USA sites therefore off the radar of most non-US sellers.  This may be skewing registrations from for example eBid (UK), Oztion (AU) and so on.

If EPIS had the same prominence outside the US as it does within the US, then the non-eBay non-US sites may have had a far higher showing - e.g. eBid's 1 million members compared to Bonanzle's 30,000.

In essence, it also has to be asked, to what extent successful sellers are too busy servicing sales to register at EPIS?  If you're already getting the traffic and sales, do you need to get out there and market more?

The sample of sellers is very small - less than 1/12th of even the Bonanzle membership total, so i wouldn't read too much into it - remember the Bonanzle Action Club is tasked weekly/monthly with getting the name out there and joining EPIS may have been one of their tasks (don't know - just hypothesising).

Gaz

by: Kathy

Mon Feb 16 03:09:27 2009

Gaz,

You're correct that AB and EPIS are better known within the USA, but then most of the sites on that list are USA venues and EPIS is for Multi-Channel sellers, not just sellers who sell on one site exclusively.

Another point to consider is that eBid has been around since 1999, whereas Bonanzle came out of beta in Sept 08, so comparing member counts at this early point in Bonanzle's history is rather meaningless.

I registered at eBid as a buyer but their listings are predominantly from  UK Sellers and I personally found the shipping fees from the UK to be substantially more than those for similar items from North American sellers.

I honestly hope they become a strong alternative venue for sellers who prefer the auction format, but I didn't see a great sell-thru rate for  their North American sellers; yet that is.

by: Kathy

Mon Feb 16 03:27:09 2009

I just noticed that the first graph does cover one venue sellers, so I stand corrected on that part.

by: Henrietta

Mon Feb 16 04:28:01 2009

Ming, do tell how to calculate a STR when there are no listing fees, items are fixed price and do not expire?

ASP would surely depend on the fixed price you set unless you have indicated your willingness to haggle by hitting the OBO option. I don't do OBO so my ASP is 100% of my asking price.

Now for some cold hard facts. 60% of my sales to date on Bonanzle have come straight off Google Base. Buyers came registered and bought. GB buyers don't seem to bother with FB which is fine by me.

Jan 1 through Feb 15th 2008 I sold on eBay and my website, PayPal only.
Jan 1 through Feb 15th 2009 I sold on Bonanzle and my website, Google Checkout & PayPal when I had to.

Year Over Year to date Gross Sales Value is up 172.18% my net is up 967% (without eBay IF, FVF, Store, etc.etc. etc.)

On Bonanzle I pay no IF, Store, or FVF yet, when I do pay FVF they will be 5% max.

by: Renagade

Mon Feb 16 05:04:36 2009

I think Henrietta proved the value of Bonanzle.  I too, like Henrietta and many other sellers there are seeing better sales....sales that are coming in " off the streeet" so to speak.
Although I do offer OBO ...It is a rarely anyone uses it. Most pay full price. And with Bonanzles low FVF, prices are lower than what I have seen elsewhere.

by: eBay is scum

Mon Feb 16 07:15:50 2009

So glad to see Bonanzle getting such high regards. Now it just need more Buyers. That will come with time and more ebay malfeasance.

by: questions to ming

Mon Feb 16 07:26:27 2009

If sleezebay is REMOVING the non payer marks a seller states why bother even alerting ebay to a non payer?
second - what's with all these buyers now with Ebay name/address vastly different than the Paypapl name/address. we must get like 5 of these a day.
third - griff as the internet toyko rose. Perfect  way to say it !

by: No sales

Mon Feb 16 08:33:13 2009

All you Bonanzle people, I'm a gold powerseller on Ebay. Although I'm not happy about all the changes I state this.

SALES IN JANUARY

EBAY          741

Bonanzle        0

Sales in Feb

Ebay          415

Bonanzle        0

Until buyers start buying on Bonanzle I wouldn't quit your day job.

by: D*D

Mon Feb 16 08:55:53 2009

Amen Ming! You hit the nail on the head, there are a few specialty sites out there like Etsy I hear about occasionally where people are selling, but I have yet to hear one former ebay seller state that they have made a single sale on any of these other sites, could it be they are just trying to drive the competition away from ebay? Bonanzle may want sellers, but without buyers it means zilch. I've signed up for no less than 4 other sites in the past year and it was a waste of time and effort as not a single item sold on any of them.

I have been a Powerseller on ebay for 6 years and although my sell through rate has dropped in the past year, 25% is better than 0%!

Good luck to all.

by: myshabbichic

Mon Feb 16 09:23:53 2009

no sales - What are you selling?  Am registeered to sell with bonanzle but have not begun.  Have been spending lots of time on the site, both browsing categories/booths and keeping up with the blog and the forum posts.  Bonanzle is really making a point to say that they are a shopping spot for recycled or vintage unique items rather than mass market items.  Granted, this is not a large market on the scale of Amazon or eBay, but it is a solid small  market with users, if given godd tools, will pretty much take care of themselves and even help other users with problems or just getting started.

If the owners stick to their guns as far as their stated vision, it very well could take over the mom and pop sellers of antique/collectibles/vintage/recycled-contemporary market online.  Kind of like the neighborhood bar.  It may not make as much money as the big flashy dance club but it makes a steady income.  The flashy place has more customers but looses money every time new trends start.  It has to totally redo itself to get the new "in" crowd.  The neighborhood bar, well if it needs a paint job, the regulars will probably pitch in and do it themselves.  And they've never lost money, their customers aren't very "in" but they are loyal.

by: Harriet

Mon Feb 16 09:32:19 2009

I sell on Bonanzle, eCrater and Etsy. I am very happy with sales on ALL of those sites. I still sell on eBay, but have cut it down to below 10 items at a time. On eCrater I have 300 items, Bonanzle about 100, and Etsy about 50. They all would have gone on eBay in the past, but the site has deteriorated so much, it is hard to fathom.

The other sites are easy to use, friendly, nice to their sellers and aren't lurking over your shoulder like a vulture.

And they have more than made up for the deficits of the eBay sales.

1 2 3  [Next Page]