Mon Nov 23 2009 09:59:56

eBay Absolves Auction Sellers of Consequences from Site Outage

eBay spokesperson John Pluhowski confirmed that Lorrie Norrington sent a letter last night to U.S. sellers who had an auction listing that ended during the outage advising them about dealing with the consequences of Saturday's search outage.

The letter states, "All auction-style listings completed during this time will be protected from negative and neutral feedback as well as DSRs below a five star rating. In addition, we will not expect you to fulfill Auction-style orders completed during this time if you feel the search outage prevented you from realizing the full expected price from your auction-style listings that closed during the outage or within an hour after the outage. It's up to you whether you want to fulfill the item in the interest of good relations with your buyer or cancel the transaction."

The letter states that the outage was from 9:45am - midnight on Saturday.

eBay said it would be sending a 10% coupon up to $100 off to buyers who won Auction-style listings during the outage for any inconvenience. The company said sellers who plan to cancel a transaction must contact their buyers by end of day Tuesday, November 24.

If you had an auction ending during that time period plus one hour (9:45am Saturday – 1:00am Sunday PST) and are based in the U.S., you should have received the letter from eBay.

The full letter is posted on TheBrewsNews blog.

eBay Absolves Auction Sellers of Consequences from Site Outage   eBay Absolves Auction Sellers of Consequences from Site Outage

by: Tiny Trinkets

Mon Nov 23 10:12:09 2009

I had listings that were affected. This was the email I got:

By now you might be aware that between 9:45am and midnight PST on Saturday, November 21, eBay search was down with searches returning limited or no results.

We know this is a very serious disruption, especially as you are ramping up your businesses for the holiday season. Because you had listings ending during or within an hour after the outage, I wanted to let you know, personally, what we will be doing to support your business and protect your eBay reputation.

First of all, this outage will not negatively impact your feedback or detailed seller ratings (DSRs) in any way. All auction-style listings completed during this time will be protected from negative and neutral feedback as well as DSRs below a five star rating.

In addition, we will not expect you to fulfill Auction-style orders completed during this time if you feel the search outage prevented you from realizing the full expected price from your auction-style listings that closed during the outage or within an hour after the outage. It’s up to you whether you want to fulfill the item in the interest of good relations with your buyer or cancel the transaction.

If you do plan to cancel a transaction, we ask that you contact your buyer within the next 48 hours (by end of day Tuesday, Nov 24). For your convenience, we’ve drafted some language below that you can use in your emails to inform the buyer of your intention and let them know this cancellation was due entirely to an eBay issue and not you as a seller.

If you had Fixed Price listings completed during this time period, you would of course be expected to fulfill sold items as usual.

Second, in keeping with eBay’s outage policy and doing what’s right for sellers and buyers, we are taking the following actions for listings that ended during or within an hour after the outage (9:45am Saturday – 1:00am Sunday PST):

We will refund all associated fees for Auction-style listings and refund pro-rated fees for all active Fixed Price listings during the outage. This refund should be reflected in your next eBay invoice.

We will remove negative/neutral Feedback and detailed seller ratings (DSRs) lower than 5 stars given by buyers for affected Auction-style listings.

We will alert the eBay and PayPal resolutions team in the event that a claim of item not received is filed for an affected listing.

We will be sending a 10% coupon up to $100 off to buyers who won Auction-style listings during the outage for any inconvenience.

We fully understand the impact of an outage of this scope on you, our valued partners. We sincerely apologize for the disruption to your business. I want you to know that we are continuing to focus our teams and resources to ensure a smooth and rewarding holiday selling season for you.

Sincerely,

Lorrie Norrington

President, eBay

___________________________________

Suggested email for notifying your buyer of cancelled Auction-style transactions:

Dear Buyer:

As you may know, for a period of time from Saturday, November 21 to Sunday, November 22, eBay search was returning limited or no results. See the official eBay report. Unfortunately, the item you purchased from me on [date] was offered through an auction-style listing affected by this technical disruption.

I wanted you to know that as a result of this issue, I am cancelling this transaction and any payment you made will be fully refunded. In addition, eBay will be sending you a 10% coupon up to $100 off for the inconvenience. Now that eBay search is fully restored, I will be relisting this auction [today]. I sincerely hope you will bid again-and win!

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact eBay via the “Contact us” link at the top of the eBay homepage. Thank you for your understanding. I look forward to your future business.

Sincerely,

by: OMG!!

Mon Nov 23 10:24:16 2009

Funniest graphic of the year!!

by: PMP laughing!

Mon Nov 23 10:44:57 2009

Oh that graphic is just priceless Pope Ina...

That made my day and was almost worth the outage!

ROFLMAO!

by: Where's my email eBay?

Mon Nov 23 10:52:23 2009

I popped into Brews and saw the email that eBay has apparently sent out to sellers post crash. To date, I haven't rec'd anything from eBay in this regard, nada.

I have also not rec'd the email mentioned in another post regarding the cancellation of the 50% off listing sale.

No change in email address here and I have received other email from eBay over the past few days, including confirmation on listings this morning, favourites from search etc.

How many other sellers have or have not rec'd this email from eBay?

I'm trying not to be paranoid here...

by: typo

Mon Nov 23 10:53:28 2009

That should have read

graphic is just priceless Pope Laurie N, Ina...

by: Anne Miller

Mon Nov 23 11:04:27 2009

I am an eBay PowerSeller.  I had listings that ended during the outage, but I did NOT receive the letter!  Why did some sellers get it and not others?

by: Practica

Mon Nov 23 11:06:34 2009

Priceless graphic - immeasurable damage to small EBay sellers whose items couldn't be found - and now won't be found because of the cross-marketing favoring "popular items" that they force to popularity.  Who do these whiz kids think they are??

by: Do you trust eBay?

Mon Nov 23 11:07:44 2009

Auction Bytes,

Thanks for all your hard work this weekend sorting through the bullsh*t and fall out.

How sad that sellers must come to AB for direction on what’s happening at EBay. That just about says it all!  And that’s not meant as a slam against your e-rag, au contraire, it’s just indicative of the level of service we have come to except from EBay. Zilch.

No way I’m telling my buyers that EBay is sending out coupons. Ya right! Said by the company that just cancelled a 50% sale?

I can see it now:

I rec’d the coupon but when I enter it, it says the promotion has been cancelled?

Or:

You said I would get a coupon?
Where’s my coupon?
I rec’d the coupon. It’s expired!
The code doesn’t work.
The coupon says I have to spend $100 to get $10 off.

Never, ever anything easy with EBay.

by: Pope Norrington

Mon Nov 23 11:16:33 2009

Priceless graphic - says a thousand words!  Just don't drink the sacramental Kool-Aid!!!

by: Anna

Mon Nov 23 11:24:15 2009

Yeah, right the outage was fixed at midnight Saturday?????!!!! Then why are we still having intermittant problems with it today Monday?! Our listings that ended Sunday were most definitely affected by this outage. Will we receive compensation or help from eBay with our buyers if we cancel our listings that sold for pennies on the dollar after midnight? HE'LL NO! More eBay lies!

by: ebayerindallas

Mon Nov 23 11:27:43 2009

I have checked and rechecked my email to read the so-called letter from eBay, but there is none.  I am one of the unfortunate bunch that did have listings end during the outage. I can't say that I'm surprised either. So who ya' gonna' call?  I can't say that I'm surprised either.

by: ebayerindallas

Mon Nov 23 11:28:42 2009

by: Reverend L Zono Blanco

Mon Nov 23 11:29:31 2009

The image is priceless!

However it does conflict with the recent addition to urbandictionary;
'evilbay'
as well as the fact that paypal is the payment method at the church of satan website.

"By their deeds we shall know them...

by: Dean Wormer's Wife

Mon Nov 23 11:29:41 2009

Did not receive e-mail  ... time for a class action lawsuit? I am fed up... had it .... I feel like  I am in the Delta Tau Chi Fraternity and on Double Double Secret Probation.

Site outages... reneging on promotions, interminable chats  with ebay reps who provide misinformation or do not know their own  policies, ebay's vague policies (like the outage policy which does not address a huge loss of functionality.. the ability to see seller's other items or failure to adequately define what constitutes a transaction for the purpose of calculation of the denominator in the DSR equation),  failure to see the consequences of new policies,... the list is pretty endless.

Not sure how to go about it...but I do believe the time has come... for a civil suit. And yes .. ebay does have a barrel of attorneys.... but I am guessing thee are enough potential plaintiffs out there.. who can provide evidence of actual damage to their businesses.

Alternatively... buy 1 share of stock... I am assuming price has dropped like a rock today... and show up at a shareholder's meeting.. inundate the the Board od Director's with e-mails making our frustratiom clear..

''A house divided against itself cannot stand'' If ebay goes down... which it will, we all lose... so we must make them see that things have to change.

Any one have any constructive ideas beyond griping and venting... now is the time for action.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ina

Mon Nov 23 11:41:27 2009

Ina, what do you mean you mean they are now only compensating those who had something ending at that time? That hardly flies considering back then it worked with "ending soonest"

AND HOW ABOUT THOSE WHO PAID DURING THAT TIME AND THEIR LISTINGS WERE NOT SHOWN. 6+ HOURS

by: I second that!

Mon Nov 23 11:43:09 2009

I agree, all this b*tchin doesn't create results and I'm losing money by the day here. I've got 30% of the stock on site that I normally carry at Xmas -  I’ve simply lost faith in eBay and refuse to carry any more than I can afford to lose. How sad is that?

I have no idea what’s coming down the pipe tomorrow; what eBay will change or keep the same. I can’t plan a business when a company flip flops like this. And not from year to year or month to month, we're talking day to day here!

Someone (or better a few people) need to buy some stock and show up at a shareholder's meeting. Heck, I’ll even throw in some air miles to get someone there.

by: Fruity

Mon Nov 23 11:43:23 2009

and where is the CEO, JOHN DONOHOE teething in the corner . playing with his ball of flubber

by: fruity

Mon Nov 23 11:47:03 2009

I called my US Senator, a RANKING member who sits on the
Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation. I called this morning to say ebay has lied before about compensation and they will skirt it again with loose words and no results.

I WANT COMPENSATION FOR MY LISTINGS ON THAT DAY AND FOR THE LISTINGS I HAD RUNNING THAT WERE ON A TIME DURATION that HAS A VIRTUAL BLACKOUT FOR THOSE HOURS. GO GET YOUR CALCULATOR AND CRUNCH THAT
Don't mess with a small business who has been burned by your antics and had to live through LOTS OF ISSUES OF SERVICE with your company

by: Fruity made an oops

Mon Nov 23 11:49:01 2009

oops that was me who wrote here to Ina asking about whether it was just auction auction or also 7 day format. I accidently entered her name in twice. Just so everyone knows that was me! Ina or David if you could edit that please. I'm sorry my typo

by: fruity

Mon Nov 23 11:52:39 2009

I think ebay should optimize ALL OF US IN SEARCH.

1 2 3  [Next Page]