Thu Nov 12 2009 22:52:28

eBay's Payment Reminders to Buyers Upsetting Sellers

Update 11/18/09: eBay UK announced it is stopping the post-transaction emails (Payment Reminder, Order confirmation, and Order Update): "Since launching the new emails we have received feedback from customers that there have been issues with their rollout. As a result, the new emails and the ability to customise and view them through Selling Manager and Selling Manager Pro will be removed.today and the programme will be reviewed." It will be interesting to see whether eBay.com follows.

Sellers are upset about changes eBay has made around emailing buyers on their behalf with payment reminders and automatic UPI claims.

1) eBay is sending automatic payment reminders to buyers if they haven't paid in 48 hours. Sellers may not opt-out of this, even when they've given buyers permission to take their time in paying. Sellers are also upset at the wording of these emails.

2) eBay has been rolling out its new automatic UPI process with the "Unpaid Item Assistant." This is supposedly an opt-in program in which sellers can have eBay automatically file UPIs if buyers have not paid; sellers set the number of days that the claims should be filed.

What is the Unpaid Item Assistant and how does it work?
The Unpaid Item Assistant automates some features of the unpaid item process - making it more efficient for you and reducing the average time to resolve the dispute.

When enabled, the Unpaid Item Assistant will automatically open a case if your buyer doesn't pay after a specified period of time. You can choose to set that time as 4, 8, 16, 24 or 32 days after the listing closes. If four days pass without payment after the case is opened, an unpaid item will be recorded on the buyer's account, the case will be closed and your Final Value Fee will be automatically refunded. At that time, the buyer won't be permitted to leave Feedback for that item.

You can read eBay's full explanation of the changes in its July announcement.

There's a lot of confusion and angst among sellers. Let us know what you're experiencing. Some people do think it's a good thing for eBay to reset buyers expectations about what is a reasonable amount of time to pay their sellers. Here are some discussions around this issue.

eBay Radio thread

eBay Seller Central thread ("Seller being a jerk or Ebay?")

eBay's Payment Reminders to Buyers Upsetting Sellers   eBay's Payment Reminders to Buyers Upsetting Sellers

This user has validated their user name. by: Pete

Thu Nov 12 23:42:49 2009

Why is this a bad thing..when someone wants my item, bids then wins..I want payment now not next week etc

I think this is one of the best things eBay have done in years, my NPB have gone down by at least 70% since this started ..plus is stops the bottom feeders giving neagtive FB without payment....i would be happy with INSTANT payment so no need to invoice, cash flow for any business is number 1

by: closet

Thu Nov 12 23:48:11 2009

I dont' think eBay needs to send anything for me, I'm perfectly capable of handling my own customers. That's right MY customers. I am the one that gets the communication stars so why is eBay sending out auto emails to my buyers. eBay needs to worry about satisfying me, I'm their customer yet they do nothing but make my job harder and harder. The are unindating the buyers with way too much email and then letting me take the star dings for it and I don't like it. If they want to take over communication then let them take the star hits, not me. They can't even spell check the emails before they put them into place...one has a huge typo that looks very tacky.

by: Joe

Fri Nov 13 00:03:12 2009

I can send my own emails let ebay consintrate on taking care of our needs like get rid of one sided feedback,dumb dsr's. and any thing this new group started none of it's any good not even for ebay.

by: BKB

Fri Nov 13 01:30:56 2009

I read recently where an ebay seller had to borrow money from their mom because they are in debt and overextended on their credit cards. They then claimed they could run ebay better than Donahoe.

Awlrightiethen.

by: Christopher

Fri Nov 13 03:11:19 2009

I think it's good. Also, it is always good to be able to choose to opt in or out. eBay should not send emails when the seller opts out. As for us, it is one less thing to worry about. UPIs are a hassle, and automating the process, according to parameters I choose, is a good thing. That's my opinion, for what it's worth.

by: Marvin

Fri Nov 13 05:53:32 2009

When a buyer doesn't pay it could be they lost their job, fell on hard times or just a dead beat bidder. Whatever the reason the person the money is owed to should decide how to handle it.

If ebay is going to take over this aspect of your business too they should protect you.

Give the buyer a reasonable time to pay. If they don't and ebay has to send an automatic payment reminder then also automatically disqualify the buyer from leaving any type of feedback or DSR ratings.

Otherwise the payment reminders will just increase bad retaliatory feedback and low DSR ratings.

by: deana

Fri Nov 13 06:23:17 2009

Ebay should stick to being JUST a venue.
Ebay wants to run OUR businesses and it just doesn't work, as ebay is slowly finding out.

by: Jennifer

Fri Nov 13 06:30:50 2009

I have no problem with eBay offering to automate the UPI process for sellers. I won't opt in but can understand that some sellers might like to.

I wish they would allow opt-outs for the automated emails. At the town hall after the anouncement this summer this issue was brought up and it was made clear that sellers didn't want their buyers to feel pestered by eBay after only 2 day since they may blame the seller (especially if the buyer has already contacted the seller regarding when payment would be made or if the buyer is waiting to make payment until another auction finishes in order to oombine shiping).

by: Jim S.

Fri Nov 13 07:55:22 2009

How do we know that an email has been sent unless customer tells us? It doesn't seem to appear in the email sent field (in SMPro). I would prefer to control this event as I don't send a reminder until 7+ days, and many times have an arrangement for later payment. At the least, there should be a number of days parameter in Prefernces to control when the auto email is sent.

by: STOP IT JOHN !

Fri Nov 13 08:27:55 2009

STAY OUT OF OUR BUSINESS JOHN ! Let us manage our own business ! You just want to use this to annoy our customers so we get dinged in DSR's

Therefore we do not get 20% discount ! Just like Pay Pal does not notify us anymore when a pending payment clears so we can forget it did, that way you hope we get a 1 or 2 star rating for slow delivery.

JD I got to say, you ruined us all as sellers, me thinks you will smooth talk Piere and tell hjim time to close shop on eBay, we got Pay Pal, then you can set your Bain Brains on destroying that. Are yo a mole JD ?

eBay had it mostly right before JD, but instead of small tweaks he absolutely insulted all of us and ruined that company. And it ain't no recession AMAZON stock is up by leaps and bounds

by: Michelle M

Fri Nov 13 08:30:30 2009

I think the pay now emails upset the buyers like me who are buying or bidding on a few items over a couple of days that the seller allows for combined shipping. The buyer and seller of these items are the ones who don't need these annoying emails when they are still buying/selling and want the combined shipping rate and shipped in one box.

by: g

Fri Nov 13 08:55:49 2009

As eBay is ''just a venue'' (right!), they have no business in sending these extraneous emails to MY customer.  I have created a solid, successful system of communicating with MY customers over years of on-line selling.  I am more than capable of managing my own communications, thank you.  eBay's meddling via these emails can negatively affect my relations with MY customers.  What an arrogant decision on eBay's part.  At the very least, allow sellers an option to opt out of this program.

Bottom line is that deteriorating buyer relations means less sales for sellers. AND less revenue for eBay.  That is not rocket science.

by: X Power Seller

Fri Nov 13 09:49:52 2009

Bingo to the person who said

eBay should stick to being a venue.
That is the concept that made it the winner it once was.

by: peter

Fri Nov 13 10:28:41 2009

ebay also sends those reminders for already payed items. payment marked in 'my ebay' and feedback has already given by both.
the buyer thinks i want to be payed again, because he thinks i send the mail.
i contacted ebay and they say its a spoof mail.
they don't even know what mails they are sending...

by: Jesse D

Fri Nov 13 10:35:43 2009

I can send my own emails Thanks.I tend to be much more polite
regards
jesse
golfing in style

by: jesse

Fri Nov 13 10:36:49 2009

I prefer to send my owm emails.I also tend to be more polite.

by: Fred

Fri Nov 13 10:46:57 2009

4 words solve it all -

fixed-price-immediate-payment

no npb's - no deadbeats - no "i'll pay next week" - no excuses - no hassles - no crap to deal with

by: J

Fri Nov 13 10:50:52 2009

Having eBay communicate with customers on my behalf is like having a dental receptionist perform a root canal. They might have heard what the procedure is but are totally clueless when they get the instruments in their hands.

EBay is so incredibly inept when it comes to any communication attempt it is frightening.

My customers should be treated the way I see fit, not the way some overpaid, over-educated eBay employee in a cubicle with no practical experience whatsoever thinks they should be treated.

by: Peter Leeflang/CEO if Leeflang Archives Corp

Fri Nov 13 11:14:11 2009

I guess for some sellers on Ebay this is a rude awakening that Ebay really considers them 'Employees of Ebay', not independent entrepreneurs who decide about their own business processes.
Anyway, you the seller can still vote with your money by seeking other venues to sell.

by: geneintexas

Fri Nov 13 11:16:26 2009

I would opt out of the automatic notices, if possible. I get them as a buyer and find them redundant. For what I am selling, I can handle my own communications. I want the option to opt out. I especially don't want ebay deciding when to file a UPI case.