Thu Oct 15 2009 23:15:11

eBay Tests Store Listings in Core Search Results

Some sellers reported seeing Store listings brought back in search results (link), and 24 hours later, eBay confirmed it was testing Store in Core. Here's the announcement from eBay:

We are currently conducting tests that may result in the inclusion of Store inventory format items in the main search results for a small percentage of traffic. Due to the limited duration of the test, sellers are not advised to change listing formats or change their listing practices in any way. eBay regularly conducts tests to help inform future changes to improve the buying and selling experience. We will not make any permanent or significant changes in the way search results handle various listing formats without notifying sellers well in advance.

The issue of whether eBay includes Stores in core search results is a sore point with many sellers who remember the SIS fiasco of 2006. eBay had rolled out Stores in Search in February '06 - giving Store items exposure in core search results. eBay rolled it back in March '06, telling sellers that the volume of Store items had hurt the core marketplace. (Who can forget then-CEO Meg Whitman's words that the eBay marketplace had been "overwhelmed with identical, often poorly-priced items that have diluted the magic of the eBay experience.")

eBay has since eliminated the Stores format in some countries while keeping Stores (Italy and UK, for example), and it's possible eBay is readying such a move in the U.S.

Sellers are already dealing with enormous change this month, and finding out that some shoppers are seeing different results unbeknownst to sellers is likely to grate on already-frayed nerves.

eBay Tests Store Listings in Core Search Results   eBay Tests Store Listings in Core Search Results

by: Steven

Thu Oct 15 23:29:55 2009

Yep, and they followed that up months later, summer 06',  with a fat fee increase for store items.

Just an aside: it is interesting to note how many sellers were inspired to become multi-channel at that point.

by: Empty Ebay

Thu Oct 15 23:48:13 2009

I smell desperation, they have way too many categories with 0 items, without store items in search. They are running on empty. The clock is ticking, Ebay! 14.75 minutes are up, what's your big play to win the game, Donnyho?

by: john

Fri Oct 16 00:10:07 2009

Get friggin real. They are 3 years too late. Now Ebay is FLOODED with thousands of items because everyone has gone to fixed price....meaning no one finds anything anymore. Now they want to flood it even more by adding store listings.

Before this fixed price 0.35 garbage, alot of the Ebay Motors searches would pull up 200-500 items if you put in a particular year/model. Now, most of these are 1500-2000 and no one is going to take time to search through that many listings.

What fools.

by: Zombiebay

Fri Oct 16 00:34:20 2009

Yeah but John, how many are actually relevant to the search term used? Remember when Ebay still had enough employees to remove all those Keyword spamming auctions? They are all laid off now. I used to list halloween masks on Ebay, but gave up when the top search was showing pink panties. Guess what Ebay? Got a big Santa sized sack full of those masks no one can find on Ebay anymore shipping tomorrow, sold on Amazon, Ecrater.com & Bonanzle.com

by: Patricia

Fri Oct 16 01:01:18 2009

Whoever said they smell "desperation" is right.  Sounds like they are trying every which way to up the revenue and nothing is working.  I suggest they try the ultimate - get rid of Donahoe and put someone in that spot with solid experience!  Has he not done enough harm yet?

by: No Sales For All

Fri Oct 16 01:42:19 2009

What a bunch of A-holes.

I think that about sums it up. They've destroyed this once great site and now they are in a panic mode.

by: On Lies and Secrets

Fri Oct 16 01:47:18 2009

Some collectibles categories are **VERY** empty these days. I can't believe my eyes, actually.  Either no one is listings these items anymore on ebay or search is completely, catastrophically broken.  Including store items in search would give the appearance that there are more of certain collectibles items for sale.  For certain searches in my collectibles category, the only items available are in stores.

Most of the collectibles items I purchased on ebay over the years (in a reasonably popular collectibles category) are no longer available for sale by anyone on ebay anymore.  Traffic in these items has moved off of ebay.

by: eBuyer Feedback

Fri Oct 16 02:24:04 2009

I was an eBay cheerleader before they rolled back SIS.  Too little too late.

Plus it doesn't make much sense anyway.  It costs me around $0.45 to list something FP 30 days, why would I pay around half that much but get stuck with a much higher FVF?

by: Another reason...

Fri Oct 16 06:35:31 2009

To CLOSE your ebay store. Once we closed our ebay store over a year ago, our sales went up. Ebay stores are for fools who want to throw $ away.

by: Ron

Fri Oct 16 08:04:34 2009

It's kind of sad when you begin to think Billy Cobb the old 1 cent fee to 10 cents is only a 6% increase had more business sense than donuthole...

by: STOP IT JOHN !

Fri Oct 16 09:26:48 2009

Cmon Donahoe ! Why did we work hard to be Top Rated ? You dropped us in everything, now all STORE inventory are flooding out our auctions !

Take the TRS program and shove it !

eBay SUCKS ! John Donhoe ruined it, MING was right they can't staty focused on anything !

Your site is in shambles PIERRE ! And you let Johnny Rotten do it.

All you idiots do is experiment with this and that, face the fact the BEST EXPERIMENT is to replace John Donahoe and team, and get to hell rid of BEST MATCH completely !

by: Wake-Up!

Fri Oct 16 10:00:49 2009

Don't you just love the way they're always conducting ''tests'' at your expense?

How I loathe this evil company...

by: Gaz

Fri Oct 16 10:03:02 2009

Ahhhhh 2006 - that was a great year that was - last of the big GMV years.

Over on eBay UK, the Stores in Core experiment ran through to August and I made a killing - sales of EVERYTHING on all IDs was way up.

Then they announced the death of 90-day stores listing fees w.e.f. September (iirc) and everyone ran as much as possible on the 90-day insertion to save on the gallery and other fees that charged as only 30-days on a 90-day listing, then promoted like heck via email marketing and other tools - I made a fortune in Q4, but it was the last Q4 that I did,

The trans-Atlantic visibility chop in early 2007 did far more damage than all the changes of 2006 put together - and many people still don't see that - neither eBay staff nor their customers.

Stores back in Core - Yaay say I - bring it on .... just do NOT do it the same way as the UK have done, because that really will be the coup-de-grace in eBay's self execution - particularly for cross-border sellers.

Gaz

by: shelby

Fri Oct 16 10:10:52 2009

Wow, what a revelation this is!  Never believed the excuse from Meg about store items flooding the market with junk.

My sales went sky high, that meant more money to Ebay...go figure!

More and more sites are popping up, and they are store environment, and they don't rip sellers off like Ebay.

Tired of the Ebay game, and closed my store a long time ago.  No results, no sales, it was a losing situation.

Be interesting to see if Stores come back up or not.

by: Don

Fri Oct 16 10:25:17 2009

I remember 2006 very well. My store listings sold very well then almost overnight sales dropped like a rock.

I would like to see the store listings get more visibility.

For what it's worth, I don't have 40 listings each of a bunch of cheap junk. If you sell in a category that is bombarded with these mislabeled listings I can understand why you might not like having store listings included in the core search results.

Ebay should hire Google to build a decent search engine for their site.

by: gotta love it

Fri Oct 16 10:30:17 2009

Where there's smoke there's fire. Can't wait for what's up their sleeve with this one. I honestly do not see what purpose this would serve as fixed price has already flooded the marketplace with overpriced repeated garbage. And as a result it makes it very difficult for a buyer to find what they came to the site to buy in the first place.

by: Kelly

Fri Oct 16 10:40:39 2009

When eBay pulled stores out of search in March 2006 my sales which were previously very strong came to a crawl. My stores items were not overpriced despite what Meg thought about store items being overpriced (Note: If my store items were over priced then they would not have sold, correct?).   In 2006, I began selling more agressively on other venues and havent looked back.

The dollars that eBay once made from me now go to their competitors and it is all because of what they have done to themselves.

I still have a modest store presence on eBay however those sales are now only less than 2% of my total ecommerce sales whereas one time they were close to 40%.!

It amazes me how frequently they tinker with search. I have no faith at all on their leadership although at one time I did.

Its a sad shame.

Kelly

by: saratoga

Fri Oct 16 10:43:39 2009

As a buyer, my problem with this situation is different.  It started three months ago when I used one keyword to search.  The results were 3,000 --now there are over 10,000.  The additional items all come from one dealer....and my keyword does not appear in their title nor the description of their auctions.  So what gives?

I IMed and called eBay and no results.  The problem was that the people who I spoke with were not users of eBay (buyers/collectors) and kept telling me how to search by category.  I kept saying that a collector has to see it all ;)  Any suggestions ?  - A 11 year vetern buyer on eBay..

by: Annie

Fri Oct 16 11:00:22 2009

I am in favor of store listings showing up in search. Both as a seller and a buyer.As a buyer, it saves time clicking and searching. Most buyers don't have the time these days to sit and play on Ebay as they did years back. They want a simple and quick buying experience. I beleive this is also a factor in decreased auction sales.They want it NOW. As a seller,of course it helps my sales increase and why shouldn't they? I pay more than a non store owner per month. I should get the same exposure on all my listings.Especialy with the new competition on every lisiting from non Ebay sponsered ads.

by: Brenda

Fri Oct 16 11:14:10 2009

Could it possibly be that eBay might be figuring out that doing everything they can to turf out and marginalize the people who actually pay them money is affecting their bottom line?  Naw.

I did a search with Best Match a while back (just out of curiosity), looking for a very specific kind of watch.  The nifty things I was interested in started at page 40.  One or two or them were scattered in the first 40 pages, but the majority of that stuff was repeat listings of cheap Chinese carp-the same Hello Kitty watch for page after page after page.  Yo, John-not helping my buying experience here!

1 2 3  [Next Page]