Wed Oct 14 2009 22:04:24

eBay Sellers Have Questions about Top Rated Seller Program

I've been receiving some emails from eBay sellers who are confused about the Top Rated Seller program. Specifically, they're unclear as to why they have not been included in the program when they feel they meet the requirements.

One of these sellers told me that he's spoken to a number of customer service reps and PowerSeller support, who have told him that ONLY current PowerSellers (bronze and above) can currently be a Top Rated Seller. However, that's not my understanding, so I asked eBay for clarification.

An eBay spokesperson responded to my inquiries about these issues - (see also Thursday's Newsflash newsletter article):

1) All existing PowerSellers who qualify for the program should now see the TRS badge in search results and on their View Item pages.

2) eBay is beginning to invite sellers who would qualify under the new lower-volume requirements into the program. "We began sending invites to join the PowerSeller program this week for non-PowerSellers who otherwise meet Top-rated standards and who sold at least 100 items to U.S. buyers with a GMV of at least $3k in the past 12 months," he said.

Here are two pages that may help, though I find the Low DSR examples a bit confusing.

At-a-glance Chart of Requirements and Rewards (link)

Examples of calculating low DSRs (link)

If you have questions about the TRS program, post them here in the comments and we'll see if there are some common questions.

eBay Sellers Have Questions about Top Rated Seller Program   eBay Sellers Have Questions about Top Rated Seller Program

by: Patricia

Wed Oct 14 23:10:42 2009

I only have one big question...WHY? For many years now Ebay management has thought that pitting seller against seller is a good thing.  We're all paying Ebay for exposure to SELL our wares.  Nobody informed us that this is some kind of competition - with small sellers always on the bottom of the pile but paying the same!  Since Donahoe came in its now seller against seller AND buyer against seller.  Does this idiot not realize that his business is supposed to be helping buyers find what they want and helping sellers to accomodate THEIR buyers????  This is all so childish and silly as to be almost unbelievable!  If the board of directors is eating up this tripe then they are utterly stupid and should all be removed!

Somebody please tell me what in the world hiding most of your sellers has to do with making SALES?

by: Kristoffer

Wed Oct 14 23:15:50 2009

Honestly I have given up on trying to jump through the ebay hoops. I have been a PS for 7 years. It used to be no problem maintaining that status until they started intentionally trying to screw people out of sales and discounts. Once they started messing with the search results based on DSR's was the beginning of the end for me. I started stressing out trying to figure out why my items were being ranked below others with what appeared to be lower DSR's and feedback. Next, like many others my scores always dropped right around the time they calculated discounts, so more stress. It got to the point where I was stressing out about ebay more than I did my real job!

Now I don't qualify due to 3 low DSR's in shipping time and shipping costs - neither of which I can fix. Well, I guess I could if I dropped everything else in my life and I packed and shipped everything within 2 minutes of a purchase (or could read minds and shipped before someone actually bought something).... or paid for postage out of my own pocket which I am not going to do. I have finally gotten to the point where I don't care if I have a badge or star next to my name. I don't care if they give me a discount. I will continue to sell what I can on ebay but I will list other places too. Once one of these other sites finally catches on with the buyers I will be happy to leave ebay behind and never look back. They can take their badges and DSR and shove them!

by: Zombie Ebay

Wed Oct 14 23:33:34 2009

Patricia, you got it wrong: We are NOT paying the same, we are paying MUCH MORE for MUCH LESS. The Doggy Diamonds pay no listing fees & lower FVF then us noisy unwashed scum, and receive elevated placement. Restraint of trade? Ebay is reaching criminal levels with their nonsense. Pack it in Ebay, your 15 minutes are up.

by: chrissy

Wed Oct 14 23:37:03 2009

I am so surprised at myself for not caring about eBay anymore. I loved selling on eBay so much that I never thought I could NOT CARE about my rank. This time the Best Match TRS is SOOO bad and makes zero "eBay" sense that it's beyond hope. I actually gave them the benifit of the doubt that they had a plan that I just didn't undersand but I would some day and now I laugh my booty off at the thought that I gave them more credit than they deserved. I've starting so many other projects since eBay started the BM search just from exhaution of jumping through hoops and now it's official - I'm not inlove with eBay anymore because they don't even make sense! I filed for divorce :)

by: Not an ebay buyer - ever again

Thu Oct 15 00:01:43 2009

I *tried* to browse ebay today for the first time in a few years in the hope of finding some deals, because we all know they're out there in this economy, but you know what? I ran into the most frustrating, asinine, ridiculous search problems that I've ever seen.

I hit my back button after looking at an ad and it threw me into my ebay! WTF?! I had to search all over again!

I tried one more ad and said "SCREW THIS!!!", and got the hell off ebay altogether.

Sellers, you wonder where your buyers have gone? Try to browse ebay. It's an ever-lovin' NIGHTMARE.

Never again. What a joke.

Shopping is supposed to be fun and after looking at two lousy ads I was completely frustrated, ready to rip my hair out and thoroughly pissed off.

Now I use a web search engine and hit the quick-loading, no BS sites like ecrater.com, etsy.com and others that actually have brains enough to keep shopping enjoyable.

Sellers, that's where your buyers have gone.

ebay = idiots.

by: Paul

Thu Oct 15 00:08:30 2009

Although comments here seem mostly negative, I'd bet most eBay sellers are doing about the same as always.  All the changes have scarcely affected my sales or the work needed to accomplish them.

by: fruity

Thu Oct 15 00:12:49 2009

SUCK IT EBAY MANAGERS

Couldn't even plan your own bowel movements. bunch of nincompoops

by: Bob's your uncle

Thu Oct 15 00:13:57 2009

Paul, take a gander at this:
510144211
or
Out/510143961
Not
just here people are complaining, on Ebay's boards people say no traffic either, so Bob's your uncle.

by: Another tired buyer

Thu Oct 15 00:18:49 2009

THIS Buyer is sick of that pop out box that wants me to look at the Top Rated Sellers. I can see the TRS icon ON the search pages! I DON'T need it shoved in my face on every search attempt!

That thing is almost as annoying as the search box with the drop down suggestions that quickly change my typed in search to something else if I don't VERY CAREFULLY move my cursor over to the search button.

What kind of fools are running ebay?
They've done everything they can to make shopping the site the most UNenjoyable site on the whole internet!!!!

by: Bobby Ewing

Thu Oct 15 00:26:54 2009

There are thread after thread about buyers complaining about bad searches on Ebay's boards, they just don't care anymore. Nobody is doing anything at Ebay anymore except updating resumes & sending out emails looking for work. The party's over. When you read about people searching repeatedly for slim leg jeans size , and they keep getting Slim Pickens records and no jeans, time to turn out the lights. I guess no TRS's offer slim jeans. Also I read many complaints the search keeps changing parameters & changing from Best Match to ending soonest, I guess Ebay is booting up old servers that were not updated with Best Match yet. They are doing everything they can to help Amazon, Bonanzle.com & Ecrater.com Wait til AliBaba starts advertising on TV, feebay will really be a ghost town then. And Emperor Dummyho keeps fiddling about while Rome burns. THey should just do the Bobby Ewing, fire Dumbaho, and reset everything the way it was before this jerk came along, and say it was all a nightmare, Ebay is back.

by: ma

Thu Oct 15 01:11:14 2009

Well Im personally stunned. I was a TRS and was doing some searching and see my item with no TRS logo(it was still on My Ebay) So I email ebay, they answer ..I no longer qualify because I have .50% low DSRs ok lets do the math, .50 on sh time, ship cost (many I sold had free sh & refunds are given when they overpay) so I have worked near 10 years to have them throw out my 5300+ feedback to rate me on 37 feedback of which 2 left low marks. this is crazy. And only a wall street analyst could read their description of how they figure the low ratings. (by the way I have 4.9, 4.9, 4.89, 4.9 for my DSR ratings. Im sure glad some other sites like Bonanzle are taking off. And who knows maybe Ill be sending out my resume from that Monster.com add on ebay. ;-) I hope more will join me. I hate change but really ebay is not what it was so Im getting change with no choice.

by: ma

Thu Oct 15 01:13:50 2009

sorry I am ROFL here. just checked again and now my DSR is 4.9, 4.9, 4.9, 4.9 I think its some sort of dream Im in or rather nightmare....how foolish they are to do this, we are not in grade school.

by: Zombiebay

Thu Oct 15 01:20:26 2009

Ma, I went from raised search to lowered in 2 days because of 1 buyer. That day, I sent a feed to bonanzle of all my listings, and the next day I was raised again. Ebay's few remaining employees must be having some fun with us all. The site is so messed up now. I'm making way more everywhere else but Ebay, and from the same people that have bought from me for years. Just die already Ebay.

by: ma

Thu Oct 15 02:19:46 2009

thank you zombiebay. I may need a shrink to get settled down after this evening. I def see ya later ;-)

by: Ebay's Slow Death

Thu Oct 15 02:48:27 2009

I don't think there are any humans left at Ebay anymore, except in the executive offices. (Maybe calling the executives human is being too kind.)

It's like a science fiction movie where the heroine walks into the control room, all the lights are flashing, the monitors glowing, and nobody there.

All the employees have either quite out of disgust or been laid off.

JD just sits at his big desk and laughs, ''As long as those stupid Sellers keep giving me their money, I keep getting richer without even having to do anything. But, it is so much fun messing with their heads!  Bhruuuuhahaha''

by: Nonsense

Thu Oct 15 04:57:26 2009

Wake up people. You all know what's going on but they've kept you going in circles for so long now you're either too frustrated to see it or you just don't believe it.

They got real tried of paying out all those discounts for good DSR's so NOW they've changed the whole program AGAIN. They've raised the bar to an almost impossible to maintain level AND since you have NO PROOF that anyone really gave you 1's or 2's they can continue to manipulate the numbers to increase their profit margins.

ONE HALF OF 1 PERCENT. Seriously, how long can any of you maintain that?
When they based it on DSR's you were allowed a slim but attainable margin to get that 20%.

They'll eventually cut out more and more of you until JD has only his biggest sellers left.  The ones that don't require too much hand holding when they run into glitches and problem buyers.  The Diamonds just write off those losses. They can afford it but smaller sellers can't afford to eat those losses.

It's just another money grubbing ploy to see how much profit they can keep squeezing out of you.

Shoppers have not stopped shopping.
Sellers that left also took their buying dollars with them.
A lot of their buyers followed them to their new homes.
Many buyers hate the constant changes.
Some categories are virtually empty.
Search is messed up.
Pages are sloooooow to load.
Pictures are missing. (check your listings)
They've made it almost impossible to contact sellers etc etc etc.

It's dying people. Why are you still hanging on?  Do you enjoy the torture?

by: Maryclare

Thu Oct 15 08:57:44 2009

Let's not look back and keep spreading the word. All buyers want lower prices, they wont get them on ebay.... come on everybody let's go! Bonanzle, Ecrater, Etsy and the rest, here we come big and strong! Spread the word!!

by: Richard

Thu Oct 15 09:40:01 2009

Paul, You're very wrong.  My ebay sales are down about 90% since this started two weeks ago.  I'm selling nothing.  I list buy it now items and had many listings that ranked well with their old criteria.  Now Buy it now listings are not seen at all and I can't buy the featured listings.  I do about $50,000 a year and 2,000 transactions on eBay.  I am missing their stupid TRS by 2 in a single category.  That's 1 in a thousand????  WTF EVER!  All of my sales are now through Google on my website - NO BS there.  Time for total commitment to that channel.  eBay can jam it.

by: Rich

Thu Oct 15 11:19:14 2009

This is like some junior high school clique. The innies and the outies. All of it is patently unfair. Why should I give them any of my money?

by: On Lies and Secrets

Thu Oct 15 11:42:35 2009

I am really not certain how this program is supposed to actually help buyers - I suspect that for many items and buyers, the TRS emblem is immaterial.  There are already so many little icons, stars and symbols jammed onto each page that one more icon doesn't particularly add any more meaning to a listing.  IMO this is another cheap gimmick by ebay management to give the appearance of activity without actually doing anything meaningful to genuinely improve buying and selling on the site.

From a buyer's perspective, the TRS emblem on top of icons for the star rating system, ''me'' pages, feedback score, ''newly listed'' symbols, etc. is simply too much visual clutter.  There are already too many germane details to take note of when looking at a listing for the TRS to be of any added value. IMO, the pages are now far too complicated for an average online shopper of reasonable intelligence to efficiently manage or understand.  Shopping shouldn't be this complicated.

On another note, I think the TRS symbol itself is very unattractive.   It looks cheesy and cheap to me and does not enhance the appeal of the pages.  It seems that the design of the symbol was an afterthought and that none of ebay management really tried to make it an appealing design.  So many things (large and small) by ebay senior management and the way they run the corporation indicate that they just don't care about buyers or sellers at all.