Thu Oct 8 2009 23:09:16

Survey Measures Impact of eBay's Recent Changes

eBay's Fall Release, also known as Seller Release 2 (SR2), rolled out to the site last week. AuctionBytes is conducting a survey of readers to find out how these changes are impacting sellers. The survey focuses on eBay's changes to search and its new Top Rated Seller program. There are 22 questions and takes about 5 minutes. Current eBay sellers can take the survey online, and can return to the blog to leave their comments below.

Take the survey here now.

Survey Measures Impact of eBay's Recent Changes   Survey Measures Impact of eBay's Recent Changes

by: mindelec

Thu Oct 8 23:42:08 2009

i took it, though i think it is far too early to know what the effect on sales will be.

by: Leslie

Thu Oct 8 23:51:15 2009

It's too soon to tell what effect if any the TRS program will have.  I suspect that sniping has begun - Non TRS sellers going after their badged rivals. Doubt eBay anticipated the bitterness and antipathy this program has engendered.  And how will they address the jeopardy that puts good,honest sellers in.

by: gotta love it

Thu Oct 8 23:53:57 2009

Our sales have plummeted this week back to summer numbers even with TRS. I sure am glad the eBay mad scientists justify their jobs with this stuff they think of.

by: RicRoe

Fri Oct 9 00:11:59 2009

Thanks to Auctionbytes for doing eBay's job for them.

Opening up a survey to the full spectrum of eBay users on this (and past subjects) is one of the many reasons readers value Auctionbytes, and probably contributes to the fact that eBay begrudgingly works with Auctionbytes. .

In my opinion, eBay is failing its buyers and sellers alike.

eBay fails time and again to fully survey all  users in an open and honest way that is not targeted to specific users.

eBay's targeting of surveys give the appearance of being structured to generate results which eBay predetermines results.

When eBay cherry picks users to participate in surveys as opposed to opening surveys to the entire user base, eBay is assured they will get the results they want.

Later, eBay then uses the targeted cherry picked user base results in an attempt to say they researched details and put together a program based on those responses.

Lack of transparency on this and many other issues is the root cause of buyer and seller dissatisfaction with eBay.

by: Going Downhill Fast

Fri Oct 9 00:31:21 2009

Ebay is like the titanic. Doomed...

It's amazing what these people have done. Someone will write a book about all this someday titled..'' How to utterly destroy a company...for Dummies.''

I used to sell 30 to 40% of what I listed on Ebay, that is before JD came along with his disruptive retardation.

Now I sell 5 to 10% and watch the fees for the 90 to 95% that does not sell eat up all my profits.

Do any business analysts ever read these comments? This is happening site wide on Ebay. Don't be fooled by the smoke and mirrors, this baby is sinking.

by: brainiac jones

Fri Oct 9 00:56:22 2009

The talk of sellers sniping at TRS sellers through sabotage...highly amusing. If I were to do that, just to take the TRS folks out of the running, I'd try to be selective and pick up only the dickwads who were in plain violation of the ebay policies.

I think it's pretty easy to bring down TRSs, though, it's such a tentative position they have. Only 2 negs? Easy to make it three, huh? Still, not my style.

by: Sandy

Fri Oct 9 01:13:22 2009

I've sold $4,000 this past year....meets the requirements.  I also meet the DSR requirements.  They still have not granted me the top seller status.  I have no idea why and it is adversely affecting my sales.

by: m

Fri Oct 9 01:37:37 2009

I do hope that this idea of TRS sabotage doesn't spread and take root.
Yes, some TRS's don't appear to deserve it, but many I've seen do. Excellent fb and dsr's. It's not the sellers you should be frustrated with, it's eBay.
We're all just playing by their rules and doing as best we can.

by: Rhinestone cowboy

Fri Oct 9 02:01:05 2009

Just start with the TRS sellers that are Ebay employees & apologists. They deserve it. They flaunt the rules that get us suspended, and get their pals to cover up for them. Search Cks and MO, hit those type of TRS sellers first. And of course the China earbud & other junk sellers with $50 shipping on a .99 listing.

by: we a have a badge

Fri Oct 9 06:21:27 2009

Didn't want it, hideous badge looks awful.
Didn't ask for it, any requests are ignored by ebay anyway.
We hate ebay. The #1 anti-seller site.

by: Dr FeelsSoGood

Fri Oct 9 07:55:50 2009

eBay couldn't put a survey together if their lives depended on it: http://www.ebaymotorssucks.com/?p=52

So far they have not removed featured plus and pro packs from EBM Vehicle listings. At least the car sellers can pay for better placement, though unless they are selling for way below Manheim.com values it will do no good anyway.

by: Hardrock Rules

Fri Oct 9 08:59:39 2009

@SANDY / Dearm your not missing anything, TRUST ME ! I have TRS Badge, and my sales dropped since the badge.

All you non TRS are in time ending soonest if you use auction style, the only place you don't rank as high is Fixed Price, and I am not even sure about that.

I kissed customers @ss's this past year, and almost killed myself from overwork to become what Master Donahoe said I should become, a Top Rated Seller

And guess what ? I have been demoted with Best Match 2, my sales are a joke, there is NO IMPROVEMENT in my sales haveng TRS Badge, but a decline in sales.

I cannot wait for the day INA's report says "JOHN DONAHOE TO BE REPLACED BY ???" If the company does not go out of business by that time.

Thant man has ruined so many peoples lives with this horse sh*t, that it is not even funny !

BOARD OF DIRECTORS ! Please find somone to make the community equal, and oust the John Donahoe Administration !

by: BrandFan

Fri Oct 9 09:15:47 2009

I don't want the kindergarden badge - MY SALES HAVE DROPPED LIKE A ROCK since it was put on.
eBay didn't listen when they surveyed about creating this new badge. We told them they already had a top seller recognition in place POWERSELLER - tweak that No they had to create a hostile environment and best match 2 no sales fiasco. Everyday you think eBay will get better, but no it's clear - eBAY IS GOING DOWN IN FLAMES

by: Jim

Fri Oct 9 09:21:09 2009

Assuming a rational market place, folks with the TRS will increase their prices and those without will keep prices steady or lower.  Then buyers will ignore TRS to get better prices.  If I can save a $ by using a 99.7 rated seller vs a 99.8 rated seller, then I will.

This flipping thing is only useful in mass markets with many sellers selling the same thing.  A small seller does not need to be in that market anyway.   It is useless in my area of computer salvage or in areas of collectibles or unique items.

by: eBayStinks

Fri Oct 9 10:30:38 2009

Just a few short years ago you'd hear terms like ''I got it on eBay'' you'd hear ''ebay'' in the movies on talk shows etc.  More and More now you hear ''I got it on the internet'' I hardly ever hear anyone mention eBay, unless they're bitching about horrible it has become.

by: Oops I'm Naru'd Again

Fri Oct 9 10:39:24 2009

Here's a different way to look at it.

Every one of these "measures" or "standards" that they've implemented over the years were supposed to be a way to keep out so called bad sellers.  In reality it's a way to eliminate sellers period.

First was regular old negative feedback.

Second was the "seller non performance policy"  which I'm not sure is still enforced

Then it was the DSRs

Now it's DSR 2.

Each step is a little more of a tug on the rope to conform and eliminates sellers.

The root of the problem that eBay doesn't understand is that "buyer satisfaction" is very subjective and really each persons gauge of satisfaction varies.  For example what I call great, you might call sub par.

Couple that with the emotional tie the sellers have with a transaction...you have the making for the disaster you see on ebay now.  I mean they're no way that the majority of sellers want to scam.  I believe they always try their best to complete the transaction.  But to do so and then be told constantly "your're performance is poor, your shipping is slow, etc ect" especially on things maybe they can't control like shipping time, or a wrong address provided by the buyer only makes the seller even more bitter.

As these nooses get tighter, more and more sellers drop off as we've seen.  The sellers that are left are pushed even further to the limits... and the stress levels are raised.  Don't forget in many cases for small sellers we're talking about family incomes here.  Something people depend on for survival.

I have to ship today...I have to e-mail right away...I have to pack perfect....
More rules, more stress, more fear, how will this person judge me...will my package arrive...will they do a bogus charge back...where's my listing....how come I can't get sales...why are they holding my funds...more rules more stress

The best way to poll emotional topics are with simple yes/no questions.

This equation they have with detractors and promoters to me doesn't make sense mathematically.  How can a person that rates someone 8/10 be a detractor? If I got 80% on all my tests, I think I'd be a doctor or lawyer.

Keep jumping through the hoops sellers...some day you'll reach the carrot they talk about.   But is it really worth it?

by: Lo

Fri Oct 9 11:28:57 2009

@Hardrock rules
Have you figured out how to list in fixed auction to get your auctions seen on the first page in search? For years I have been on the first page with my auctions in fixed price because I sell a lot of a couple of different items. Now I am on the last pages and sellers with very low feedback (96%) are ahead of me in search. I am at a complete loss. I have no idea what to do. I have tried relisting, starting a new auction and sell a similar item and nothing works. If anyone hase any advice please share it with us.  I am about to go in panic mode! I just do not understand why this was done now at the holiday season.

by: Hardrock Rules

Fri Oct 9 11:52:41 2009

@LO / I have no solution for fixed price, looks like they want us to go back to auction style for getting our item to work it's way to the top. I can come up with no logic for best match, but I do know best match 2 is not helping us top rated sellers, or so it seems. If you figure out anything please tell us.

I say fixed or auction should default to time ending soonest so we ALL get what we paid for a chance to have our item seen
FAIRNESS DONAHOE, PLEEZE !

by: Daisy

Fri Oct 9 11:53:37 2009

I do not have the DSR badge and my sales have been fine, if not better. LOL.

Of course, if I had the badge, sales could be better but I don't know.

by: Steve

Fri Oct 9 12:43:41 2009

Nothing they devise works, and they keep making change after change and there is still no improvement.

Ebay is the only company in the world that seems to do everything in their power to displease their customers--YES EBAY, THE SELLERS ARE YOUR CUSTOMERS, YOU ARE NOT A RETAILER.  THE BUYERS ARE NOT YOUR CUSTOMERS, THE BUYERS ARE THE SELLERS' CUSTOMERS.

Get rid of the Bain brain management. They clearly don't know what they are doing. They only know how to ruin a company.

Ric Roe is right.  Everything eBay do is done to sway the outcome. Even the way the deal with the press and the analysts, all smoke and mirrors to get the results they want.
 Auctions were dead my a**.  They planted that idea in the press because it did not conform to what they wanted eBay to become.

1 2 3 4 5  [Next Page]