Sat Jan 31 2009 21:24:48

Survey on Ecommerce and Social Networking

AuctionBytes.com is conducting a survey of online merchants to gather information about if and how they use social networking to promote their retail business. We want to know if people are using sites like Twitter, Squidoo, Facebook, LinkedIn, Ning, YouTube and MySpace for ecommerce-related business, and, if they are, how they are using them.

Please take a few moments to complete this survey. And don't let the comments below influence you - read them after you've taken the survey.

The results will be published in the aggregate by AuctionBytes.com. Your individual answers will remain private.

Survey on Ecommerce and Social Networking   Survey on Ecommerce and Social Networking

by: Charise Richards

Sat Jan 31 22:32:53 2009

I am a firm believer in social networking! I have been using Myspace for years.

by: o.c.d.collectibles

Sun Feb 1 01:12:37 2009

I sure wish I didn't have to fall into the 55+ yr old bracket range!LOL!
I am enjoying learning how to use these networking sites! The neat part about it, is that you can use them for many different reasons, such as getting weather and traffic reports in real time, local and national news, business news, trade news, and networking with others in not only the online sales business, but in any career area of interest. I follow some Drs and RN's as well as a few charitable orgs. You can also link to some other neat sites, and resources, other people's listings, and stock reports on whatever..It's just a nice "all in one" source!( I have been hooked on Twitter!)

by: eBay is scum, too

Sun Feb 1 06:25:06 2009

In the 45-54 age range, been buying/selling since i was about 5 years old. Social networking is not for me. I read a lot of it and its crap. I may voice my opinion but since i am far left i am not considered main stream. I see no value as far as sales in it.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ed Gadfly

Sun Feb 1 09:11:04 2009

I like Twitter for the news updates but some people just like to see their names or mundane activities in print.

"Outback for dinner...yummy" Yeah, that's real professional and related to business.

"Come on, I know you are HEARING me...Twitter Question of the Day: How many hours do you average in your business on an average day?" Yeah - keep pestering people 5 times with the same thing.

If you can hook up with people who offer content instead of ego-stroking themselves the apps are worth while.

by: Gail

Sun Feb 1 10:29:06 2009

Although I am a firm believer in getting your business name and product out there, I'm not convinced about how good this sites are as 'helpers' of business. I'm not even a member of Facebook, yet since my son signed up under his own email address, I have been getting countless spam emails from them daily--they obviously have cookies that can track back to the computer used in visiting them. I don't need more spam. That just takes away from my work time.

I want to use sites that actually have people visiting that are interested in the product we sell, not like as the other poster mentioned "Outback for dinner...yummy".

by: Gypsy

Sun Feb 1 12:29:02 2009

Even tho' I'm in the 55+ age bracket, I'm always researching & implementing new way to drive more traffic & grow my business.  You can so teach "an old dog" new tricks!

by: john

Sun Feb 1 14:00:30 2009

I am the new EVANGELIST of social marketing for business. I do things that others have never even considered he, he, he. Way too much to detail here, but give me a ring sometimes and we can chat about it. I LOVE social marketing, it is the BEST thing since sliced bread and butter.

John (colderICE)
www.ColderICE.com

by: Sean Jagodzinski

Sun Feb 1 16:16:45 2009

There is a hat store in the Detroit area.  It sells top hats and the like, and has been around since the late 1800s.  They have survived some tough stuff, but have stayed alive because of there clever marketing campaigns and e-commerce site.  That store has done many things to ''bring hats back'', and is succeeding (See the Aretha Hat, or why Kid Rock is always wearing a hat).

I am not, not, not trying to spam.  I am not involved with this store.  However, this is such a good example of why social media works, that I feel it has a place here.

The e-commerce site is here: http://www.henrythehatterdetroit.com/

Now, check out what they did with their My Space Page here: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&frien
dID=169655584

Taco Bell's Sauce packets, it's the ''cute'' and ''catchy'' things that attract people.  They have classic hat songs, pictures, videos, and it's just very appealing to those that are ''connected'' to social media.  It's a important brick in they're wall of their building skyscraper!

by: kitty

Mon Feb 2 09:40:09 2009

I did have some incidental customers find my on social networks, but most of the inquiries are men looking to hook up....LOL
I'm finding the entertainment value, but not 100% sure of the market value.
Will delve into this deeper and see....

Interesting topic  :)

by: Betsy

Mon Feb 2 11:49:05 2009

They remind me of chat rooms where you don't know who you are talking to or why. A lot of people seem to act around 13. I don't see the benefit.

This user has validated their user name. by: Bob

Mon Feb 2 16:47:41 2009

I checked out Twitter recently. People are posting what they do: I am bathing the cat, taking the trash out, listening to strange music...

What the heck is wrong with everyone ? Are you guys so bored at home ? GET OUT and have some fresh air ! Jesus, I just realized I am sitting at home, typing here and I am bored too. I am going out now and shovel snow... And ? Who cares ? Nobody ! That's my point.

by: Peter Leeflang/CEO of Leeflang Archives Corporatio

Mon Feb 2 17:45:00 2009

I have experimente dwith social networking a long time and a lot and also wtched competitost do it.

My conclusion is presently that social networking is not worth the 'extra time per item sold' invested in it. There are much more effective less time consuming marketing methods around, like email marketing to existing customers, targetted advertising on web sites related to our products, leaflets in shipments etc.

This user has validated their user name. by: Bob

Mon Feb 2 17:46:32 2009

@Kitty. That was you ?! And I thought we will hook-up some day. You were just playing with me....LOL

This user has validated their user name. by: Bob

Mon Feb 2 18:11:20 2009

Watch this clip about marketing:

by: Et tu, Brute!

Wed Feb 4 00:00:36 2009

Ina, I'm not taking the survey but would like to offer this comment in any case.  One of the sites I am now focusing on is Etsy.  I have established a presence and a growing commerce and am VERY pleased with the site.

Etsy encourages these multiple ventures.  I have growing friendships with a core group and we bolster each other up and various ways.  Ages are from 17 to 50s.  Blogging, Twittering, Flickr, all are becoming utilized in many ways, and this doesn't even take into account the Analitics (Google) feature available as part of Etsy.

One of the group has started blogging and featuring from each in the core group.  Since that time just a few short days ago, the traffic to the item featured has doubled.

Another of the group has started Flickr and traffic has leaped for them as well.

These are utilized to grow our business with Etsy blessing.  It brings traffic to our shops and the site in droves.

by: Et tu, Brute!

Wed Feb 4 00:06:01 2009

I should also have clarified, with Flickr and such sites, you can feature more in depth pictures of your items and much else.

I was a sales manager for years.  All of this is for the good.   I'm not all that uniquely creative.  But I'm a damn good sales manager!

It's about working hard, growing the contacts you have.  I want NEW contacts, not just those on my list.  It's all about CONTACTS!

Networking is just another word for contacts.

by: Kitty

Wed Feb 4 07:53:26 2009

@ Bob

LOL, silly you.

I really don't think I can leverage a sale from someone I toss penguins at on Facebook.
ROFLOL

by: anothertimeantiques

Thu Feb 12 08:55:13 2009

Etsy has made social networking incredibly easy.  I like that.  The best format I've experienced so far though is The Vintage Village at ning.com.  The ability to share product, info, tidbits etc is amazing.  Thru Google analytics, I saw my membership at The V V jump to a #2 spot of source links in no time.

I also love Facebook but don't want to overdo the business stuff there.  Twitter is quick and fun.  I'm amazed at how many people add on so quickly.

The social networks make online business much more fun for sure!  One could easily lose a whole workday just keeping up with the boards!!