Mon Jan 26 2009 22:29:19

New Version of My eBay - Hit or Miss?

I received an email today from a seller who said he's experiencing extremely slow load times using the new version of My eBay.

"I have had literally "hours" added to my work week, simply because the new eBay beta loads so much slower than the old system. I timed it on several occasions this weekend as I was preparing auctions and it generally took 45 SECONDS to reload the My eBay page every time you moved away from it!"

Known issues, according to an eBay moderator (post #12), include the following: "Load time, access to Selling Manager from Active Selling, and sticky sorts are among the top things we're working on now."

You can find threads about the new version on the eBay discussion board devoted to My eBay. Aside from technical glitches, what's the verdict on eBay's rollout of the new version of My eBay? Is it a hit or a miss? And any tips on making the transition smoother?

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Mon Jan 26 23:13:43 2009

Ebay would have sellers believe that the reason sellers don't like the new My ebay is becuase it repreents change, and people are resistant to change. That's the official explanation.

The truth is that sellers don't like the new My Ebay because

1. As you emailer pointed out, it loads with the speed of molasses in January thereby once again lowering seller productivity.

2. Page scrolling jumps all over the place.

3. The new My Ebay does NOT represent any significant improvement and in fact displays LESS information.

The new My ebay a microcosm of the usual ebay lack of customer focus: fix things that aren't broken so some 20 somethings can justify their jobs and ignore things that do need fixing because fixing what IS broken isn't glamorous or conveniently fit into spreadsheet fields.

How much worse does it have to get before ebay's Board of Directors exercises their oversight preogative and cleans house from top to bottom in San HOsed.

Death to ebay corp. in 2009.

by: jay

Tue Jan 27 01:33:35 2009

It is terrible, one of the worst eBay decisions ever; and very strange why ebay UK are NOT switching in the foreseeable future ?

by: Tim

Tue Jan 27 01:36:32 2009

My eBay did not need fixing.  eBay continues its inextricable tradition of fixing what doesn't need fixing and not fixing what needs fixing.

The new My eBay is not seller friendly.  But that doesn't surprise me... how many years has it been since eBay cared what sellers (other than large merchants) thought?

by: nadine

Tue Jan 27 04:47:09 2009

For me, My eBay is working as fast as it used to, but I suspect that is because I use Sales Manager Pro, which overrides the standard My eBay pages. Can anybody comment, if they use Sales Manager Pro? Do you have problems? SMPro at least provides a potential workaround.

by: eBay is scum

Tue Jan 27 05:26:50 2009

YES. Thats very true. I thoight maybe it was road runner, but the new lousy my ebay is very slow loadinf and impossible to edit with such a delay in everything. I think it was INTENTIONAL as eBay is so anti-seller it is designed to frustrate sellers who want to fix up their messy listings.
I make a point to list iOffer.com and Bonanzle.com on our listings and so far that hasn't been censored out.

by: bite me

Tue Jan 27 07:27:08 2009

the new my ebay is very slow if your computer is from the stone age. you guys always find something new to complain about every day.

by: ebay = penny stock

Tue Jan 27 08:59:42 2009

@nadine

Hey folks as a staunch ebay hater I have to admit the new pages works fine for me. I also have SMPro and have no problems with loading. In fact I like the new ebay page.

Although this is one thing ebay might have gotten right the rest of the crap ebay has done will be the downfall of a once very successful company.

They are circling the drain and its only a matter of time.

Donna Hole needs to go.

Hello Bonanzle you are a great website.

by: joe

Tue Jan 27 09:03:13 2009

IT JUST PLAIN SUCKS.....BIG TIME

by: Dave

Tue Jan 27 11:30:01 2009

I really don't like the new MY EBAY page where they present my list of items of interest - each item now has a big thumbnail, so my list now only shows 1/3 of my items per page - I know what the items are, I chose them, I don't need a picture, what I need is the simple list! At least give me the chance to present them as a list - not an option now - another bit of free inefficiency layered on to all the others. Arggh.

by: Monster

Tue Jan 27 11:31:26 2009

I think that since around 2004/2005 eBay had started to read the writing on the wall… They had determined that auctions were dying…

Add to this the very good likelihood that eBay is going to have to start reporting the annual gross receipts of it’s merchants to the IRS in 2011. PayPal will be required to file Form 1099 for each merchant that has at least $10,000 in gross sales and 200 transactions.

If eBay was still operating as a “successful” platform for the millions that once sold there, eBay would have to keep track of all those Sellers that made over $10,000… That would have included me in 2003 and 2004… eBay does not want to have to deal with so many Sellers, so they decided to destroy their Marketplaces… Donahoe is in the second year of his three year “destructive innovation” plan…

Can you imagine if eBay was still a great place to sell how many problems would arise with Sellers complaining that they had gotten something wrong on their 1099…? Most people are of the opinion that eBay screws up everything they touch… Distributing 1099’s will be no different… However, if the Marketplaces area of eBay is shutdown before 2011… This will not be a concern…

But I digress; to address Jay about the U.K. NOT switching to the MyeBay Page… eBay U.K./Europe is almost gutted now… eBay doesn’t need to hurry them along to get rid of them… When the time is right, eBay can screw over what few Sellers remain in the U.K. in a few short months… Pull a lever here/Pull a lever there and voila… Ruination…

The worst case scenario here is that IF John Donahoe and Co. think they are actually improving eBay… And they are not trying to ruin eBay intentionally… Then they are the worst group of MBA/Executives to ever run a global corporation… Run it into the ground that is…

P.S. I have no comment about the NEW MyeBay Page myself... I quit selling on eBay PERMANENTLY in August 2008...

by: On Lies and Secrets

Tue Jan 27 12:00:12 2009

'Known issues, according to an eBay moderator (post #12), include the following: ''Load time, access to Selling Manager from Active Selling, and sticky sorts are among the top things we're working on now.'''

IMO, they never should have released this given the severity of the known issues.  A slow load time is the kiss of death for a site that runs ***timed*** auctions.  If any significant segment of the user base is having an unsually long time waiting for pages to load, then it impacts everyone.  Buyers can't bid when the page hasn't loaded and these days for many transactions, the biggest jumps in final price come in the last few minutes of the auction.  [I use the watch list in My Ebay to keep track of auctions and I typically bid in the last minute of an auction.]  People's time has value and it is easier to click away and buy somewhere else than to wait around for a slow, confusing and jumpy ecommerce service. What is wrong with ebay management?  Why don't they appear to understand what is important to their clients?  Why are they running an auction site with platform issues like this given their years of experience in online auctions?

by: Now happy at Bonanzle

Tue Jan 27 12:10:37 2009

I read something very interesting written by a former EBAY employee. look at this and make your own opinion about what is really going on at EBAY. It blew my mind...
-ebay-employee.html

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Tue Jan 27 13:22:23 2009

Typical ebay crap.

Yet another reason why ebay is failing so miserably -- they foist garbage, far from perfected platforms onto users with absolutely NO consideration or comprehension of the consequences.

Once again their arrogance and near perfect technological incompetence will affect their bottom line -- frustrated buyers getting gray while waiting for pages to load and sellers listing fewer items.

Another agonizing step in ebay's incremental suicide.

Death to ebay corp. in 2009.

by: Ray

Tue Jan 27 13:52:44 2009

After 4-5 days with customer service trying to get the New My Ebay to work properly, I just gave up and closed my account. It's been a pretty good 9 years buying & selling here. Too bad they had to go and screw it up.

by: unknown

Tue Jan 27 15:05:40 2009

The speed issue is IE related. No other browser has major issues with speed although it is a little slower for everyone. If you try google's chrome out, you'll see the drastic difference, or try firefox or safari or opera or seamonkey or any of the other browsers. IE is not coded to standards and is lousy with javascript, even the new 'release candidate' IE8 comes in last on the benchmark tests.

The page itself is horrible with less information than before. Big deal - we can color our title bars one of 4-5 pre-chosen colors now. And for that we needed to change?

by: 4-sillylittlegems

Tue Jan 27 15:05:55 2009

Go away Bloat-bay. Shop Bonanzle & eCrater. Have fun again!

by: Kp

Tue Jan 27 15:52:14 2009

Speed is not an issue with me, but the design is horrible. I do not like the way things are laid out. I much referred the older look, which had a more ''text'' look, less active code on the page, no tabs, and all the relevant links to other things along the left edge. All gone. It stinks.

by: max

Tue Jan 27 16:05:41 2009

As a long time buyer on eBay I have to say that the place is going down hill fast. This new My eBay Page is a major step backward. The page loads to slow and freezes. The new search engine makes shopping no longer fun. Many of the small sellers who sold interesting things are gone If I wanted to buy from big fixed priced stores I would drive to Wallmart.  I have never sold on eBay so I can't comment on how bad this new My Ebay is for them but I am sure they are loosing money.

by: Chris

Tue Jan 27 17:09:41 2009

I'm glad I'm not the only one that hates what they're doing. Worst part is that they now changed the item description setup too.

by: nadine

Tue Jan 27 17:10:35 2009

Ah, thanks, anon, that explains why I'm not having trouble. I don't use IE, I use Firefox 3.0.5, which I highly recommend. Nice and fast on my 8 year old computer.

So, eBay only screwed up the market leading browser? sweet. I think the whole corporation must have entered passive-resistance mode against this management.

1 2 3  [Next Page]