Wed Jan 21 2009 19:34:36

Rumor of More Layoffs at ChannelAdvisor

Jeff Buechler, formerly an Enterprise Sales Executive at ChannelAdvisor, posted on his blog that ChannelAdvisor was expected to announce layoffs tomorrow. In September, the company laid off 20 percent of its 350 employees across all departments and locations. The following day, it raised an additional $20 million in funding, with eBay participating in the round.

In this recent Tech Journal South article, one of ChannelAdvisor's VCs said Christmas was up for ChannelAdvisor.

But today was evidence of the challenges facing eBay and ChannelAdvisor customers. eBay marketplaces Gross Merchandise Volume (excluding vehicles) was $11.47 billion for the quarter, a decrease of 12% compared to the fourth quarter of 2007.

ChannelAdvisor supports multiple channels, including Amazon, which was expected to have done okay given recessionary pressures, and shopping sites, which were down due to changes search engines made over the summer.

Will post more if and when we learn anything.

Rumor of More Layoffs at ChannelAdvisor   Rumor of More Layoffs at ChannelAdvisor

by: Max

Wed Jan 21 21:53:52 2009

Isn't this the company that eBay partially owns? Couldn't happen to a nicer guy

by: John

Wed Jan 21 23:12:20 2009

Max - Alot of good people who work hard to support their families who are sleeping restlessly tonight.  Many not knowing if they have a job after tomorrow.  Regardless of how you feel about the company..show some compassion for the people involved.

by: Benjamin Button

Wed Jan 21 23:46:22 2009

Scott Wingo (CEO) is a total shill for eBay. He will say anything to make them sound good. Just read his blog! CA is also a monopolistic SOB company, swallowing up Marketworks and forcing everyone to migrate to their CA Premium plan. $500/month, 1% of gross sales and the most annoying, difficult interface ever devised by mankind. Run by a bunch of nasty North Carolina pricks. Let's hope they go down the drain along the likes of Circuit City, KB Toys, and all other corporate vultures! No pity for any of them!

by: John

Thu Jan 22 01:23:16 2009

Benjamin - Again, you're angry at the corporate face and leadership of this company.  Do you think it's those people who will be looking at a short severance and wondering if unemployment benefits will be enough to keep food on the table and a roof over their families heads? No. It's the programmer, database engineer, software tester, or network guy/gal who do the day to day operations.  These people have no say in how the company runs it's business.  They put in good honest work each day and are not this monster you are putting a face to.  Feel free to hate the corporation, but I know that the victims of this layoff will read these posts and we should try to have compassion for their plight.  They are nothing more than innocent victims of bad corporate leadership.  Not in any way deserving of the venom you are spewing here.

by: Cowbell

Thu Jan 22 01:44:36 2009

Wingo is a dick.

Thank goodness I bailed on Marketworks when I did. Their service was declining for years before CA bought it, but I stayed because the program did what I needed it to do. When I heard CA was now in charge, I began looking for another service.

Smart move, because the first thing Wingo did was hike my fees by 120% with absolutely no improvement in service.

The only reason for a move like that is to weed out the small businesses. CA is all about less service for more money, just like eBay.

by: voodoo

Thu Jan 22 07:46:48 2009

Ebay is sinking.

CA is also sinking.

Anyone that stays around for the final drop is also an idiot.

You can't say they didn't know it was coming. Those employees were having fun when the companies were screwing with the users, now its my time to have fun.

This user has validated their user name. by: Bob

Thu Jan 22 08:47:18 2009

We are one of the customers that moved from Marketworks to Marketplace Advisor Premium after the acquisition. For the most part we have been happy, but we did have a major incident right after we moved. The sales rep had told us it was no problem to have 12 profiles/websites, but after we had spent 100 hours setting up and paid all kinds of set up fees (750) and bought other complimentary software (1500), we were told by our new account rep that each account was limited to 5 profiles.

We never would have moved because our 12 websites was part of our long term marketing vision. The sales rep had been laid off in the last round of layoffs. We were then extorted for another $700 in fees just to get the extra profiles set up. We were very vulnerable to the greed of Channel Advisor at that moment, and as a result we will not be attending their Catalyst this year. Also, we will continue to tell this story so long as we are involved in ecommerce, and we must tell anyone who has more than 5 profiles/websites to be very careful signing up for Channel Advisor. I hope the $700 was worth this to Channel Advisor.

With the exception of the 2 people that I feel are responsible for that incident, everyone else at Channel Advisor has been very helpful, and I hope not many of them are affected.

by: matt

Thu Jan 22 08:55:55 2009

"Alot of good people who work hard to support their families who are sleeping restlessly tonight."

Hey John, jackass, alot of Ebay sellers have BEEN doing this for 7-8 months now because of stuff Ebay (who owns part of CA) has been doing. I could care less about what is happening at CA. Maybe they would have more business if Ebay hadn't gone and screwed everything up resulting in less sales and views for sellers....meaning less clients for CA.

by: mckinne2

Thu Jan 22 10:24:21 2009

Ok.. I can understand being upset with CE...upper management over the rise of costs/ fees for service... But unfortunately the people who in total control of these issues are NOT the ones being laid off. It is funny how people are quick to call names and applaud someone elses short coming but if the shoe was on the other foot I guarantee most of you would be singing a different tone...  My wife works for CE and could potentially lose her job.. and it amazes me that people seem very happy to see other people get laid off... Is CA the best company to work with maybe not I have never done business with them... But my experience has been that business is business and if you don't like the service take your business elsewhere... This is America you have choices People!!  But- don't take your personal fustrations out on people who are losing their jobs... it is not right.  Grow the F up!

by: Jeff Buechler

Thu Jan 22 11:39:55 2009

Thanks Ina for linking to my post. The firings (I refuse to call them layoffs....they have no intention of bringing them back) are going on right now.
Unfortunately a lot of talented people will now be looking for work. A number of these people have already contacted me and I am sure more will after the meeting today.

If anyone in your reading audience is looking for assistance in an ecomm or marketing project, please send me an email and I'll do my best to connect you with this talented pool of professionals.

by: Just me

Thu Jan 22 12:46:59 2009

Well I got laid off from General Motors. Do you idiots feel bad for me. I think not. Business is a two way street.

So therefore I hope CA and Ebay and all there cohorts get the ax.

by: Grant La Sala

Thu Jan 22 16:38:06 2009

I think John has some wise words, I am also one of those guys who works extremely hard for CA and it's customers, and I don't know if I have a job to go to tomorrow, I have 4 children to feed and I certainly don't find Max's comments very funny! I would not wish this on anybody.

And just for the record ChannelAdvisor treats all employees with the up most respect and I think they have done extremely well given the current economic crises we are all in. Nobody is safe no matter what they do.

by: JB

Thu Jan 22 16:47:21 2009

I totally agree with Grant's comments.

by: Kitty

Thu Jan 22 18:22:46 2009

@ Just me and Grant

Yes, I do feel for both of you.  Management has let you down and will escape with a briefcase full of $, leaving you holding an empty bag.

Trickle down affects all of us.
Our town has 4 miles of car dealerships down Main Street.
Many people stopped spending and little local venues are starting to close.
You suffer, then we all suffer.
I am hoping for a turnaround soon.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

by: Arie Shpanya

Thu Jan 22 19:19:45 2009

i hear you all guys. it's all familiar and quite frustrating as well.
if anyone have problem with it's CA account and do want to get things moving and fast (eBay, amazon, CSE, SEO, web 2.0, Storefront, and international marketplaces).
Then we are the solution-
CA is a good software, but you also need a good driver.
we drive Formula 1 :-)

by: Ebay=Penny stock

Fri Jan 23 09:28:41 2009

Ebay = Penny stock

Nothing more needs to be said.

by: Jeff Buechler

Fri Jan 23 10:17:05 2009

Ina thanks for catching up with Scot Wingo. My take on your interview is up on my site.

by: NC Bob

Fri Jan 23 11:52:47 2009

Hey Benjamin Button....watch that about North Carolina...were not all bad :)

by: Hanckock

Fri Jan 23 14:15:30 2009

How about firing Scott Wingo and 2 other high level persons and using millions saved from their salaries and keeping the other employees. It is something to think about...

by: o.c.d.collectibles

Fri Jan 23 14:22:31 2009

I have a very good answer for the retail lovers on ebay. Retail is a dinosaur. Second Hand is where it's at! You will lose your brand new Nordstrom's shirts by following the Nordstrom's retail methodology. Of Course, that's what ebay has been doing that is taking everything  associated with it DOWN, including Mr Wingo's Business.

You guys were not prepared for the recession. Ebay USED to be recession proof when they had sellers who sold used, flea market, and thrifty finds on the site. They built ebay, they supported ebay, and ebay threw them out into the dust in exchange for the likes of Channel Advisor.

I'm sorry, but I don't have any sympathy for the company. They burned their bridges with the lifeline that kept them afloat all these years!!!!!

I have my own backup..that is, a professional license as an RN. So I will always be able to adapt.

been there, DONE THAT.

Coming from an old fart RN who could be your mother, even I could figure that out. Yes, it's the economy! But you learn how to ADAPT.

Hello? Anyone home?