Tue Jan 13 2009 19:41:12

eBay Changes Search and Templates in Stores

eBay announced the launch of a "new eBay Stores Experience" with new storefront templates and enhancements to Stores search results. Searches within Stores will include titles, categories, item specifics, and similar keywords, for more relevant results.

eBay said the eBay Stores Experience "gives your store a face lift by bringing the design more in line with the rest of eBay, which makes it less confusing to buyers when they land in your store."

eBay devoted a large section of its FAQs about the change to technical questions, including the following statement:

We no longer support any customizations that conflict with our Site Interference Policy. Some typical conflicts include taking over the eBay global header or changing the appearance of the in-store search items list. If your design attempts to manipulate those elements, your store might not function properly, and you will need to remove the problematic customizations. To read more about our Site Interference Policy, see http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/everyone-interference.html

Most customizations done within the bounds of our policy should not break. However, if you use CSS or JavaScript extensively, you may need to optimize your code for the new eBay Stores Experience.

AsWas.com, which helps sellers design eBay Stores, issued a press statement stating that "Thousands of Stores designed by people or companies calling themselves "eBay experts" will break," and named a competitor as "the company who has the most least compliant Stores."

How do you know if your eBay Store will break under the changes? eBay said Store owners can preview how their Stores will look, and the new format will be optional for now. After March, all Stores will be automatically upgraded.

eBay Changes Search and Templates in Stores   eBay Changes Search and Templates in Stores

by: Debbie Levitt

Tue Jan 13 19:55:30 2009

They're not a competitor. It's like comparing apples to BMWs. :)

Besides, it was eBay who pointed them out as the company who had over 1000 Stores that will ALL break. That's bad!

by: Pat

Tue Jan 13 23:03:13 2009

Won't affect me. It's a waste of money to put a customized template on an eBay store. I'd rather invest in my own site. 99% of the templates I've seen on eBay stores are pretty cheezy anyway

by: o.c.d.collectibles

Wed Jan 14 01:11:19 2009

Oh well, if all those stores break, then what will we all do? Go to walmart?

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Wed Jan 14 02:46:19 2009

Watch 1000 stores "break" as the self inflicted implosion continues.

Can't wait to hear that NOISE!

Maybe these MS wunderkind will figure out that Best Match doesn't work in several high dollar categories and will restore Ending Soonest as the default in these categories.

Probably not, though, if ebay's recent 100% perfect track record of doing the wrong thing is any indication.

Death to ebay corp., and suicide would be poetic justice.

by: Gina

Wed Jan 14 03:58:38 2009

it's really about time they cleaned up the template.

by: eBay is scum

Wed Jan 14 06:18:02 2009

The answer ~ CLOSE YOUR Ebay store.

by: jake

Wed Jan 14 06:21:54 2009

We have sold just over 47,000 items on ebay and never once used a template?...unless you class basic text in Frontpage a template LOL

Sounds like a lot of bull to me, as an earlier poster said better to use the time creating listings on your own website where you earn more from sales anyway

by: Bob H.

Wed Jan 14 10:02:08 2009

eBay is feeling the heat from the up-and-coming alternatives (like Bonanzle).

I checked my store out. Under the new eBay changes to Stores, my eBay store looks cleaner, less cluttered. And because I didn't customize it, I didn't have to change anything. Looks a lot closer in appearance to my Bonanzle booth. Bonanzle and other alternatives will be taking a lot from eBay over this year and beyond. After exploring others, I believe that Bonanzle is the one that will reign.

Bonanzle is where a lot of disgruntled eBay sellers have already landed. NO listing fees and FV fees on my sales so far are averaging 4.5%.

I can now afford to list as much as I want, especially for those items that take forever to sell. Those slow items cost way too much on eBay wih continual relisting fees.

I figure that within the next 6 months, I will be giving eBay only my quick-turnaround items, instead of everything.  Bonanzle will have every listing.

by: ss

Wed Jan 14 10:15:18 2009

Downgraded this morning as a SELL.

Down the drain with fleecebay and all their overpaid idiots.

by: Et tu, Brute!

Wed Jan 14 14:45:23 2009

Using Alexa dot com for traffic ranking of all web sites world wide, inputing into their search feature in identicle manner, I found the following of interest:

ebay: ranked 20 (it's lost 2 ranking positions; one more drop and ebay will lose it's ''In the top 20'' for worldwide traffic ranking.
Amazon: ranked 32  (I believe sales on Amazon top ebay and so NOT being in the top 20 is no skin off their spreadsheet.)
eBid ranked: 997,766
eCrater ranked: 58,210  (I found it very intersting that individual store holders with eCrater were ranked HIGHER than was the main website itself.  Not a bad thing, IMO and very interesting!)
Bonanzle ranked: 44,368
Onlineauctions ranked: 79,361
Blujay ranking: 39,706
Etsy ranking: 918

I want to state clearly that I left ebay back in April, closed my store and my doors and signed off as a registered user.

Etsy is my all time personal choice for all things handmade AND vintage and collectibles and in regards to the collectibles, should NOT be underestimated.  Etsy has grown in ENORMOUS leaps and bounds.  Also, I have to agree with Bob H. that Bonanzle is growing rapidly, as well, and I have accordingly after months of ''comparison shopping'', opened a booth there but not yet stocked it.  Am also considering my own website as I have begun to hear great, great things about such ventures.

by: Et tu, Brute!

Wed Jan 14 14:48:59 2009

Forgot to add; if you want to get a feel for a presence, monitor their forums and other forums regarding them.  Best way I've found for getting an accurate cue on a selling platforms method of operation and user opinions.

by: Tom

Thu Jan 15 00:33:26 2009

Gota ask, if the mentioned designers didn't know how to do the code before hand so that it didn't violate this common sense stuff, what makes one think they will get it right this time? This isn't rocket science. Perhaps the high designers should do their re-writes for free!

by: Henrietta

Thu Jan 15 00:58:42 2009

Cool beans huh!

This does not affect me in any way, I no longer list or buy on eBay.

I am all in favor of more standardized stores, it is hard enough getting around eBay these days without having more distractions thrown at you. The reason people are there people, is to look at merchandise and buy stuff, not be dazzled by your template.

However,

When I looked at the CloverCity-Sells store on my desktop I have to scroll horizontally to see my choice of either the items or the nav bar, I do not own a super wide screen monitor. That would get real old real quick.

by: Debbie Levitt

Thu Jan 15 05:17:17 2009

Tom said, ''Perhaps the high designers should do their re-writes for free!''

I completely agree. The contract we give our clients says that if anything we do for them on eBay ends up being non-compliant with an eBay rule that existed at the time we did the work, and eBay cracks down, we will fix it ASAP for FREE. A change we couldn't have seen coming, like no paper payments... we'll fix it, but not for free.

I think eBay designers should have that in their contract, and I agree that any company who sold something they KNEW was not compliant should fix it for free. I heard some are charging, and that bothered me.

by: eBay is scum, still

Thu Jan 15 06:22:16 2009

First time we ever used live chat , not bad i have to say. The long wait is not good, but whoever she was on the ebay end did help us in reporting a BAD BUYER who we blocked but still sends us unwanted ebay email thru their system, i suppose anything to get less people looking at your stuff is one of ebay's goals.
I still say iOffer.com and Bonanzle.com is better they just need MORE BUYERS.

by: Jim S

Thu Jan 15 08:16:04 2009

Well, I must say I like the new cleaner home page look and have switched to the new format.

by: Wake-up!

Thu Jan 15 11:05:41 2009

Oh Gosh!!! Not another ''customer experience''. Oh well, we all know that eBay has there annual brainstorms around this time of year.

I Wonder if they'll be offering ''better store exposure'' with ''pay per store clicks'' - similar to how they want you to pay to unbury your paid listings with ''unburying pay per clicks'' - all the while they keep raking in your money....

Be a good little third world store owner and make your pennies while we take your profits...mwhaaaaa....mwhaaaaa

Do yourself a favor... build your store on http://www.Bonanzle.com

This user has validated their user name. by: Ed Gadfly

Thu Jan 15 11:28:29 2009

Changing the rules for the stores is a great idea.

1. If an item has sold already, the listing has to be removed and relisted for a fee.

2. This keeps sellers busy. They might have to mail a box with the occasional sale, but revising all the listings will keep them from straying to bonanzle.com.

3. Revise your listing, go through 2 screens, complete the revision and view the results. That's 3 extra clicks for your item. WOW! Look at all the page clicks for eBay this quarter! They must be popular and loved by all!!!

by: No Spin Zone

Thu Jan 15 13:35:09 2009

@ Debbie Levitt

Judging from the unprofessional appearance of your own site, Aswas.com, I'd be extremely hesitant to even let you close to my ebay store. Add to that, the hysterical tone that you've been using on Twitter, your blog, and podcasts the last few days, it makes me wonder how you've managed to stay in business THIS long.

I point to your contacting Frooition users, trying to recruit them to your service by telling them that Frooition would break. Let's just say you are correct and Frooition's templates would break. I don't see other template designers (and there are LOTS of them much better and less expensive than As Was) trying to blatantly poach clients. eBay is working with all of the template designers to bring them into compliance.

I also happen to know that eBay is EXTREMELY unhappy that you jumped the gun with your press release, because they had delayed this announcement by a day. Not to mention your blog posts and podcast appearances where you danced all around the announcement. I know eBay was thrilled with that!

But in your manic hysteria to be a 'whistle-blower', you let your PR run a full day early. Well, good luck to you, because you're going to need it! I hope it didn't take you too long to build up your business, since it seems to only have taken about 3 days for you to implode it. If anyone wants to see how "professional" As Was is, they only need to check out your blog, or search Twitter for your rather bizarre comments.

Yeah - I'd really consider using you.

by: Just a Thought

Thu Jan 15 13:38:54 2009

@Gadfly:  most sellers with any kind of volume wouldn't be using SYI anyway - they'd be using a listing tool and making their changes via the API.  No page views - sorry!

Even more experienced sellers would be using tools that would allow them to make bulk changes with just a few clicks.... and then the tool takes over and makes the changes on site.  Even less work for the seller, leaving more time for 'other pursuits'.

If you're trying to run a successful (ie: profitable) business on eBay and you're still using SYI to post your listings... well... perhaps Darwin -was- right.