Tue Jan 13 2009 11:12:33

eBay to Launch New View Item Page

In June, eBay announced it would launch a new View Item page seen here. Key new features were to include larger and photos (increased over 200%); a real-time countdown timer in the last 24 hours (this will look familiar if you used eBay's Desktop tool; more prominent item condition & return policy; and tabs that shoppers would click on to read shipping and payment information.

As part of the roll-out, eBay planned to ban "active content" in the description area to prevent hackers from being able to take advantage of a cross-site scripting vulnerability to modify eBay pages that would allow them to trick users into revealing information.

There had been buzz that eBay was set to make a major announcement on Monday, but was forced to delay it. We'll be watching to see if this is the "big news" some observers were expecting yesterday. In June, eBay had said the new page would be fully rolled out by mid-2009.

eBay announced last week it would hold a Town Hall meeting tomorrow from 3 - 5 pm Pacific, where it will address recent changes.

by: Dave White

Tue Jan 13 12:25:09 2009

It is very interesting that eBay has not posted an announcement of the Town Hall Meeting except at the very bottom of this post and on WS Radio. There is no post on the Town Hall page or a seperate announcement on the announcement board.

by: Patricia

Tue Jan 13 12:38:46 2009

I had a few auctions just end and when I went back to look at them they were changed to the above format.  It looked okay to me and I liked the larger picture.  Maybe just this once they hit on something good?

by: Real

Tue Jan 13 13:32:54 2009

We can't even get buyers to scroll down far enough to read our entire listings already.  Now they'll be expected to click different tabs to view shipping and payment terms?

by: fromer seller

Tue Jan 13 13:48:20 2009

As someone who is currently in the new layout view item page without any opt out ability,I find the layout very undesirable.

Cluttered, too many clicks to find out information, an overload of pics in every direction squished into one page.

As a buyer, this new page is not going to make me want to bid or buy. Instead it will lead to more frustration and time spent trying to locate on the page where all the former links are ie: ask the seller, view sellers other items, and of course the Terms of Sale.
I'm not even sure that the refresh button was there anymore (the one that lets you refresh the listing during the last few moments to see the current price. It is a total mess and cumbersome.

As a former seller, this is not the kind of layout that would entice me to want to sell again either.

This new layout was not an improvement by any means in my opinion. It was a bad idea.

by: Hummer

Tue Jan 13 13:54:37 2009

I like it.  looks very clean and intuitive

by: Karma

Tue Jan 13 13:58:18 2009

I like the new layout.
Especially the huge count down timer, perhaps that will get some fire under potential bidders b.... and they will actual bid :-)

by: Fruity

Tue Jan 13 14:29:54 2009

oh yeah, you know what that new item page does? It HIDES from the SELLER of THAT LISTING if they are LOGGED IN, the horizontal bottom thumbnail strip that shows OTHER SELLERS PRODUCTS. You can only see it when you're on another ID or not logged in. They're using some kind of filtering thingy to do that.

eBay to Launch New View Item Page   eBay to Launch New View Item Page

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Tue Jan 13 19:08:28 2009

@ Fruity

Perhaps this has also been changed, but you used to be able to accept or reject the scrolling items from other sellers that begin after an item has been sold by using either Marketing Tools and Seller Preferences.

In other words, you can turn this off or at least used to be able to.

by: FOAD Ebay

Tue Jan 13 22:24:25 2009

The new layout is rubbish and will confuse buyers even more. Personally when I get this layout on the .com I change it to .co.uk so I can see all the information I want on one page and not scattered all over the bloody screen and under different tabs. ebay have already stated that the average view time per page is 4 seconds so why the hell are they making it such a pain in the a$$ and expecting buyers to have to click and load each picture and different tabs when it could all be on one page. As a buyer I find it totally frustrating to use.

Even more annoying is that when the auction has ended the entire page it cluttered with irrelevant ads instead of just showing you that sellers other items. Google's success was because it's front page was NOT cluttered with ads and irrelevant rubbish that a user didn't ask for and the results of its search were relevant. ebay seem to have totally lost the plot by spamming users with irrelevant ads and irrelevant search results. Buyers will not have the patience for all this clutter, spam, irrelevant search results and 4 or 5 clicks per auction.

by: Tim

Wed Jan 14 01:31:08 2009

This view item page 'upgrade' does two things: 1) gets rid of Store Owners left hand navigation bar and 2) It sets up space for more ads for eBay to sell.

As a store owner I am very upset that I lose my number one way to get customers to see what else I have in my store.  As a seller, when they implement the ads on my view item pages, I am not going to be happy.  I am working hard to drop kick eBay right off my list of important venues.

by: eBay is scum

Wed Jan 14 06:20:08 2009

Looks AWFUL.

by: jake

Wed Jan 14 06:27:45 2009

This is going to hit DSR's as buyers will not go into the tabs for shipping conditions & delivery times etc etc etc

just not thought out; as far too many ebay buyers can't or won't read the full listing just like with the old lay out

by: belinda

Wed Jan 14 10:47:42 2009

I like it. Cleaner, nicer, more professional, and hopefully will keep sellers from using the gaudy, bad colors/huge text look that makes so many listings look like crappy Geocities home pages from 1998. If it gets rid of malicious scripting problems, even better.

by: just me

Wed Jan 14 16:44:29 2009

So finally they acknowledge there is or was a problem? That xss flaw existed a loooong time.

Does that mean they will pay or compensate all the people who fell victim to all the ID theft on their site for all those years?
Does that mean they will apologize for actually blaming the users?
Too little, too late.

Not to mention navigating those tabs is something many people will not even know to do.
ebay: Never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over & over & over, or blame someone else.

Ha!

by: one mo time

Wed Jan 14 23:32:18 2009

Question: What makes me think I won't like the change? Answer: Just about everything Ebay has done in the past!

Ebay only makes a change to help Ebay.  If it accidently also helps customers that's ok too.

I have never seen a corporation like Ebay that is so arrogant,  inconsiderate and oblivious to customer satisfaction.

I do thank Ebay for providing a valuable service to up-and-coming companies by showing them how things should not be done.

by: V

Wed Jan 14 23:45:29 2009

I find the image viewer very cumbersome and unless they have more space for ''the rules'' shipping, handling, returns, all that other stuff this will not be a good solution. Also, there is no Bid/Buy button in big, bold and visible format at the bottom of the page.  Not good for someone that uses a custom template with up to 16 different pictures as all the images are needed in my category.

by: V

Thu Jan 15 00:22:31 2009

@Ming the Merciless

Not the same. What you see now are ads that take you to competing sites, outside of eBay right under the Sellers other items preview gallery.  I had to try it, just couldn't believe it. It is like renting space on the mall just to have the landlord plaster the walls with ads for the competition. What are they thinking?!?!! Oh, Wait! They are NOT!

by: mindelec

Thu Jan 15 01:29:22 2009

"1) gets rid of Store Owners left hand navigation bar"

that is my #1 dislike of it too.  the tab format being a close second.

plus i'm wondering if "active content" includes the auctiva scrolling items i have in my listing.  i shudder at the thought of haveing to revise 1400 items AGAIN.

by: Paul

Thu Jan 15 02:02:25 2009

Having to click tabs to find information is the WORST idea eBay has come up with.  It's hard enough to get buyers to click ONCE to get them to your item page.  Buyers will just fail to see desired information and leave the page, and, encountering this repeatedly, leave eBay.

Dumb, dumb, dumb idea.  I am happier every day that I have now more items listed on eCrater than on eBay.

by: o.c.d.collectibles

Sat Jan 17 14:26:05 2009

by: Tim
Wed Jan 14 01:31:08 2009

by: eBay is scum
Wed Jan 14 06:20:08 2009
Looks AWFUL.
by: jake
Wed Jan 14 06:27:45 2009

by: belinda
Wed Jan 14 10:47:42 2009
by: just me
Wed Jan 14 16:44:29 2009

Does that mean they will apologize for actually blaming the users?
Too little, too late.

Ha!

@one mo time

"Companies used to test changes with CUSTOMERS to see how they affected them either positive or negative.

I do thank Ebay for providing a valuable service to up-and-coming companies by showing them how things should not be done"

I couldn't have said it better myself! Wait till the MY EBAY BETA is rolled out on the 20th! You haven't seen anything yet!!!Folks will be completing the exodus from the site at that time, so don't stand too close to the swinging doors!