Thu Jan 8 2009 11:23:08

eBay Invites PayMate as It Expands Allowed Payment Methods

When eBay implemented its ban on paper payments in October, it also disallowed most online payment services previously allowed under its Accepted Payments policy. eBay sellers are currently limited to offering buyers the choice of eBay's own PayPal service, the third-party ProPay service, or credit cards through the sellers' own merchant accounts.

Today PayMate of Australia announced it is being allowed to integrate on eBay.com beginning in February. Information on its website reveals a similar integration as ProPay - buyers do not have to register for a PayMate account, but will be able to enter their credit card information securely during the eBay checkout process. However, it appears PayMate is not making its fees publicly known until the service launches next month. Interestingly, PayMate had complained to Australian government regulators about eBay Australia in July when the site tried to enforce a PayPal-only policy.

ProPay is the only outside payment service currently integrated with eBay's checkout system. The company is expected to soon make its service available to Bronze Powersellers, who are currently excluded from using the service.

In August, eBay spokesperson Usher Lieberman told AuctionBytes the company would allow integration of all of the approved electronic payment methods into eBay.com checkout this month, which at the time included Allpay.net, cash2india, CertaPay, Checkfree.com, hyperwallet.com, Moneybookers.com, Nochex.com, Ozpay.biz, Paymate.com.au, Propay.com, XOOM.

eBay will begin enforcing its ban on checks and money orders on January 15th.

eBay Invites PayMate as It Expands Allowed Payment Methods   eBay Invites PayMate as It Expands Allowed Payment Methods

by: eBaySeller

Thu Jan 8 11:52:15 2009

eBay claims Google Checkout is not safe and will not allow mention of it on the site... but this list of no-name's are fine. Ca'mon eBay... u make urself look foolish.

by: ss

Thu Jan 8 12:08:01 2009

WOW must be some new payment service from China.

Never heard of any of them.

by: John

Thu Jan 8 13:34:32 2009

@ eBay Seller....There is a comment on the Pay-Pal discussion boards by an attorney regarding Attorney General's through  out the country receiving an overwhelming large amount of complaints regarding fraud....A portion of what they said....
We are witnessing rampant fraud and theft under the guise of Paypal. All too often an unscrupulous buyer will use Paypal to purchase items, claim the item isn't as represented and return a different item......

In the coming months everyone will see just how bad theses policy changes are. I feel really bad for any new seller attempting to try their luck on eBay.

by: noneya

Thu Jan 8 15:04:54 2009

Still not selling on ebay, still not buying their monthly spoonfull of garbage.
Have been using Google Check out for a while and have had NO problems! I'd be very suspicious of ANY payment company that has ebay's backing.
So thanks but no thanks, I'll keep doing my business, my way, without ebay's involvment.

by: John

Thu Jan 8 17:53:45 2009

All Press Releases state eBay.com !  I reside in Scotland, list via eBay.co.uk and have not had any notification via eBay Messages !  Am I right in assuming I can continue to accept cheques (checks) and Money Orders ?

by: ss

Thu Jan 8 20:48:18 2009

@ john

You are dreaming right???????????

by: Brenda

Fri Jan 9 12:25:15 2009

That means small sellers are still excluded.  And small sellers can't justify the expense of a merchant account, so they are in effect still being FORCED to use PayPal, and it's still a tying arrangement.

I don't know about PayMate.  I hope it might be a viable alternative, but I'm not sure it's pertinent to American sellers.  I'll have to wait and see what their TOS is and who is eligible to use them.

by: lin

Fri Jan 9 13:23:35 2009

They won't let Google checkout in because it will make pay(not-your)pal look bad. If the no-names they're letting in have any missteps, they will make ebay's service look good--and will have done their job--make people fear any other service.

by: nora

Fri Jan 9 16:40:37 2009

Money Orders were so easy to understand, I never had a problem with Money Orders.

by: Frank

Sat Jan 10 13:28:54 2009

Ebay does NOTHING that it can't make money on. They don't own Google, they do own (and control)Paypal and I'd be willing to bet they either already own, or will own stock in Paymate soon. Ebay is about ebay, for ebay for ebay profit and NOTHING else. One day it will all blow up ... Use craigslist befor ebay starts charging fees there. Yes Virginia, they own stock in Craigslist ...

by: Ed (BuildaSkill.com)

Mon Jan 12 00:30:33 2009

Quoting Ina's post - " the company would allow integration of all of the approved electronic payment methods into eBay.com checkout this month, which at the time included Allpay.net, cash2india, CertaPay, Checkfree.com, hyperwallet.com, Moneybookers.com, Nochex.com, Ozpay.biz, Paymate.com.au, Propay.com, XOOM. "

Every company on that list has their own discussion board in the BuildaSkill forums (registration required) and most have been researched and reported (by Buildaskill members) regarding what they do, how they operate, and any pros and cons to their services.

All of them have been in the eBay approved list since the approved list was implemented (so at least 4-5 years that I can remember).

It amazes me how many people constantly complain about PayPal, but fail to check into the alternatives permitted on eBay.

100% of my sales are not just international, but global - when I started (way back when) I made a point of checking into as many payment routes as I could find, and opened accounts with all of those which permitted me to do so, and which could offer advantage to my business and my customers - it is a RESPONSIBLE business planning action to undertake.  How many of the carpers and moaners on here have done the same exercise?

I have never been 100% (or even 10%) reliant on PayPal, however, the inexorable truth is that significantly over 90% of customers (on and off eBay) do pay with PayPal - that is purely down to the marketing expertise and perception manipulation that eBay Inc used to be so good at.

I have tried for years to wake up customers (and competitors) to the alternatives out there - I always display the fullest list of options permitted on each eBay site, and the full list of all accepted payment methods on all non-eBay sites.

Offering payment choice is not the sole key to business success, but it is a significant one.  Making life easy for customers assists them in their purchasing decisions.

Moneybookers.com, Nochex.com, are UK based services accepting payments from global buyers - MoneyBookers has always been available to sellers worldwide and requires offline identity verification.  Currently they are not accepting new US applications, presumably to make it easier to migrate existing US customers to the new US subsidiary.

Ozpay.biz, Paymate.com.au, were previously only available to Australian residents - that was their choice to restrict their business in that way - both bitched like hell at the proposed PayPal-only eBay Oz, and made formal submissions to the authorities investigating the proposal - interesting that a month after eBay withdrew the intention, eBay approached PayMate to integrate with the US site - was this a "shush" move for future attempts at a PayPal-only re-application?

ProPay you know about already - it is only available to US residents, and so totally useless to the other 280-ish countries in the world ... same with BillMeLater, which was at least partly paid for with the fees of the eBay users who cannot use that payment service.

Cash2India is a subsidiary of XOOM and operates with limited territories.

The service I would really like to see on eBay is xCoin - they charge only a percentage fee (none of this 35 cents + X%) and for micro payments are far cheaper than even PayPal MicroPayments - say up to around the $20.00 mark.

An old adage says "you'll never see if you don't look", so instead of bitching about PayPal all the time, if buyers started seeing more payment alternatives' logos and names in  your  listings, they might start adopting those other payments in preference to PayPal ... particularly if the buyers are also sellers.

If you want to break the PayPal monopoly - use eBay's rules and options to do it.

Ed

by: Anthony in oz

Tue Jan 13 01:04:21 2009

paypal have wasted the last 8 month focusing on getting accepted as a payment method on ebay as ebay still have it such that the mandatory paypal is still included. if paymate had listed to what aussie ebayers were saying then they would have realised that they did not want to offer paypal and if i as a seller did not offer paypal and i lost business due to that then that was my problem.. all this work to be included into ebay for no results... perhaps now they will relise that ebay and paypal with the small footer indicating 'other payments' is forcing people to use paypal as they do not realise there are other methods available

by: santafe37a

Mon Jan 19 18:59:37 2009

This ebay and paypal only is for the birds
Never had any problems with checks and U.S
postal money orders. I am tired of seeing
the letter "P" you know the paypal logo at
every ebay auction! ebay dose not have to
keep throwing paypal in our faces!!!
Poor business pratices!!!

by: jorge

Sun Jan 25 02:09:54 2009

So I decided to sit down tonight and list about 30 items on Ebay. Last time I did this was 5 years ago. Why can't I accept USPS money orders or personal checks now? I accepted them fine 5 years ago and didn't have a single incident. Forced to use Paypal now? What's all this about? I hate Paypal and spent a half hour trying to figure out how to accept other payments. Then I spent more time putzing around with that stupid shipping macro- NO I don't know how much my item weighs because I have not packed it yet. Forget this Ebay and their self-preservation. 16% revenue decline in Q4 2008 is probably just the start. You've lost my business as I don't have the patience for this anymore. Craigslist is now what Ebay used to be, so short the stock.

by: Lori

Thu Feb 12 10:19:43 2009

eBay is now officially the ''Microsoft'' of buying & selling on the world wide web!!  What a Monopoly!!  To be restricted with payment methods is just so ''communist'' to me! They took 17 of my ads off, ending my ads (including an auction item that had bids) and expect the listings to be revised prior to the items being relisted (does that mean I have to pay to relist again?!?!) I am an honest seller that was found in ''violation'' because I didn't remove the ''acccept checks & money orders'' option for payment!  I am in the process of looking into selling on Craigslist along with hundreds, if not, thousands of other sellers....My boyfriend's company eBay store sells over 30K per month and they are looking as well....eBay got way to greedy and it will bite them in the a#* one of these days...What a shame...what a scam!!!!

by: Frank

Wed Mar 4 07:58:23 2009

I have had a 100% positive feedback record since 1999. I refuse to use Paypal or any other service. eBay will chaqnge it's rules when enough of us leave and their profits dwindle.

by: Renee

Mon Mar 23 20:57:38 2009

I to have too many major issues and funds gone thanks to PAYPAL! Have stopped using them!

by: Andrew

Fri Mar 27 00:05:56 2009

I don't care about how it's paypal only, infact i would only accept paypal. the thing i hate about eBay it is the paypal fees + The eBay FEES. WTF! I hate that so much. And if you liked money orders (when I 1st used ebay i paid for my item with a money order) but now i realize you can buy a visa gift card, and shop with that. But seriously ebay, LOWER YOUR FEES!

by: Duane

Sat Mar 28 07:17:34 2009

I signed up for Paymate on 2/28. I finally received a message that I was declined for the merchant account by Wells Fargo Bank today. I have perfect credit, so does my business, and have never had a problem with getting a merchant account, payment account, credit card, loan, credit line, you name it. It turns out Paymate is just using a real bank, and playing a middleman for your gateway and merchant account.

I wouldn't have processed through Paymate anyway given the fact that it took a whole month to verify me, but the fact that they are just acting as a high priced middleman for a real merchant account should scare anyone in the U.S. who uses them. Do yourself a favor, use a real gateway and merchant account. It costs about half as much to do it yourself with your own bank and Authorize.net.

by: what nonsense

Sat Mar 28 08:11:41 2009

US Postal Money Orders and US Checks are still safer and faster than anti-seller paypal. We still accept them and cash of course but have to hide that fact because of ebay's mean spirited and selfish rules.