Sat Sept 27 2008 19:54:34

eBay Seller Says Search Standing Incorrectly Lowered

A reader says her Search Standing metric in the eBay Seller Dashboard has been lowered incorrectly, despite it also saying she is eligible for a 15 percent PowerSeller discount. Here's a basic rundown on these two Dashboard metrics.

Search Standing: To qualify for a Standard or Raised Search standing, your ratings must meet or exceed the required minimum levels in buyer satisfaction and detailed seller ratings. You can see the minimum levels and how your business compares to them on the Search standing summary.

PowerSeller Discount: PowerSellers with detailed seller ratings of 4.8 or higher for the past 30-day period qualify to receive a 15% discount on Final Value Fees.

Here's a screenshot of her Seller Dashboard.

In perusing a few discussion boards, I couldn't spot anybody else having this problem. But I did see a case in which a seller didn't understand why his Search Standing was lowered and said it has to do with volume of sales. (Initially sellers had to receive a minimum of 10 DSRs in order to be considered for a raised Search Standing, but it was later lowered to a minimum of 3 DSRs.)

Is there any scenario in which Search Standing could be lowered from "raised" to "standard" while the seller remais eligible for a PowerSeller discount - based on high DSRs - and have good buyer satisfaction and policy compliance? Or is this, as the seller suspects, a glitch? After all, if her items down't show up as high in search, resulting in fewer sales, what good is a 15% discount?

eBay is getting very complicated.

eBay Seller Says Search Standing Incorrectly Lowered   eBay Seller Says Search Standing Incorrectly Lowered

by: voodoo

Sat Sep 27 20:06:01 2008

Best reason. EBAY GLITCH AGAIN.

by: pbk lover

Sat Sep 27 20:21:57 2008

Your search standing can be lowered if you receive a 1 or 2 in any of the DSR ratings. These are unacceptable ratings, and ebay will penalize you for them.  From my experience, your standing will remain lowered for a week or until you receive several 5 ratings to off set this.
Since this seller has a high volume, she may not have noticed that a buyer slammed her with a very lower DSR rating in a category.

by: beyondthetreeline

Sat Sep 27 21:14:14 2008

it's happened to us before ...

by: RJ

Sat Sep 27 21:19:28 2008

Actually, right at this moment, the Best Match algorithm for auctions gives Raised Standing no preference over Standard Standing.    Although it does seem that Lowered Standing may come into play.

Of course, eBay seems to change the Best Match algorithm quite often, and possibly different eBayers are shown different sorts, based on different algorithms.

eBay is using Best Match as a tool, a manipulation tool.

by: o.c.d.collectibles

Sat Sep 27 21:53:13 2008

punishment, what a terrible way to treat paying customers who rent listing space on the ebay core site.

by: Ruth

Sat Sep 27 22:55:38 2008

I recently saw a listing on eBay ending in 28 days placed above listings ending in less than 12 hours. Where is the logic in that? When will eBay admit that Best Match is their sleazy way to punish sellers and not a viable search option? Admit it, eBay, Best Match is a convoluted mess.

by: tj

Sun Sep 28 00:17:02 2008

eBay should be taken to court over this, at what point to you go into a fee based buiness & then get stuffed for 30 days because you paid the fee ????..complete madness
Until these DSR are finnished off eBay will continue to die & loose good sellers.
I am trully sick of all these
management idiots who are killing eBay  the massive gain at Amazon says everything

I can say 100% that eBay has not improved for me infact sales are terrible what a joke eBay now is..and like many sellers who have been stuffed I no longer buy on eBay

by: tiredofebaygames

Sun Sep 28 01:47:59 2008

I was the one that sent this to Ina.

My DSR's had not changed when this first began. No feedback had been left.

In just a matter of a couple of seconds, the raised search was changed to standard.

What I don't get is:

I have the same DSR info in my dashboard as I did a few weeks ago and I was at raised search with only a 5% discount. Then suddenly, I went to raised with a 15% discount. And once again at that time, there had been no new feedback.

I noticed the change as I was working on eBay and I could easily see that no new feedback had come in.

Now, for 2 days there is this standard search with 15% discount.

I watch that seller whipping board like a hawk and the DSR info has not changed.

So what the heck is really going on?

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Sun Sep 28 04:23:22 2008

Best Match is perhaps best ever example of the ubiquitous dishonesty and corruption that's pandemic within ebay corp. from top to middle.

It doesn't work -- in fact from what I've seen it works exactly the opposite of the way it's supposed to work. Ebay is therefore not only guilty of blatantly false advertising, but of criminal fraud as well given their intentionality NOT to provide the services or structure of services sellers have been promised and are, in fact, paying for.

Ebay is on the record as telling advertisers that Best Match "works best" when NO keywords are present.

If this is true as has been reported, then what ebay is saying is that Best Match has been intentionally engineered so that buyers WON'T (easily) find what they're looking for which therefore increases the probability they'll click on the links to offsite advertising.

Best Match is the Mother of all Class Action lawsuits waiting to happen. Ebay could be held liable for billions in damages to sellers' businesses!

Ebafia: the world's most despicable corporation run by the world's most duplicitous, deceitful, and despicable executives.

by: linensandlaurel

Sun Sep 28 07:59:44 2008

My DSRs make absolutely no sense. When  matched with feedback comments, rating and any personal email feedback regarding items, there is no reason for them to continually drop as they have over the past two weeks. However, I have not seen any correlation between the DSRs and search results lowering during this time frame. Without any specific information to the contrary, I cannot change what I am doing that is causing these to go from 4.9 to 4.74 in the past month. The best I can do is move my business off eBay as quickly as possible, which will be a few months. We also believe there should be a class action lawsuit for damages to our business caused by the misinformation regarding changes and results and the poor performance of changes that have been implemented.

by: Steve

Sun Sep 28 08:34:11 2008

Where is the transparency?  Why will eBay not let sellers see who leaves these ratings?  How would anyone really know if DSRs are accurate or not? It seems quite odd that I have heard many sellers complain that their DSR ratings always dip right before discounts are to be given.

I think Hoe and company say to themselves "What can we do to please the sellers?", and then they do exactly the opposite.

Disruptive innovation is just a term coined by inadequate management so that they will not be held accountable when they break too much glass and completely screw things up.

by: eBay is Scum

Sun Sep 28 09:24:41 2008

Huh, don't you get it sellers? Ebay DOES NOT WANT YOU. Their anti-sellers rules and regulations are meant TO DRIVE YOU AWAY.

by: Harriet

Sun Sep 28 10:39:11 2008

What is it with all this seller "punishment" business on eBay? It feels like some kind of torture chamber. Long standing good sellers are being raked over the coals, and they are paying big money to have this done.

I'm a small time seller, and used to list 50-100 things. I am now listing 2-10. And I have an excellent record.

I now list the bulk of my items on eCrater and Etsy.

Ebay is very, very scary for sellers now, and sales are not good either.

It's pretty discouraging. Nothing makes any sense on eBay and the rules change every day.

Along with everyone else, I have no idea where this is all going. I don't see any positive outcomes with all the "disruptions". It's just plain disruption with major glitches all over the place.

by: Patricia

Sun Sep 28 12:50:46 2008

Back in January Ebay henchmen said "stick with us - you'll see, it will be better" "with Best Match all the bad sellers will be hidden and the good sellers will rise to the top".  Well, since then Ebay has become a hotbed straight from Hades and it has gotten increasingly worse - not better due to its screwed up failure called Best Match and its wacky senseless policies!  When I look at my Ebay sales this time last year I have to wonder just what Ebay is doing or trying to do.  I'm a 10 year seller with a perfect feedback record and DSR's of 5.0.  I'm not making sales because I'm NOT getting exposure!  This tells me that Ebay is entirely screwed up and just plain too stubborn to admit it!  My sales went from close to powerseller each month to under 100.00!!!!  I'm losing and Ebay is losing!....and this is the story I hear all over their discussion boards!  Where is the progress there?  Somebody explain it because I fail to see it.  I now list on free sites because I'm actually making more sales from 4 or 5 sites combined then I was making on Ebay while paying thru the nose!

by: DSR's Suck

Sun Sep 28 13:26:51 2008

Ina,
I believe the Power Seller discount Percent on the dashboard is only updated once a month, roughly at the same time your account is invoiced. Last time this seller was invoiced they got a 15% discount but that doesn't indicate anything about current DSR performance.

I'd recommend this seller check her 30 day average DSR's -- without seeing those there's really no way to tell if this is a glitch or the seller just getting worse DSR's than last month.

by: sick of this...

Sun Sep 28 14:45:06 2008

i find it funny how many 5s i'm getting- because ppl have sent me the screenshots- and that my metrics never change...

This user has validated their user name. by: Bob

Sun Sep 28 16:21:26 2008

We have the same problem. We don't even bother anymore. We all know those ebay response emails that we receive after a complain: My name is Amber Orange (or so...) and I am happy to assist you... (ya right, I am happy too...) I have no time to read a funny ebay email that only raises my blood pressure. I want to read facts and only facts ! I don't care if Amber is happy or not. Ebay should simply answer my question and take care of the issue. I wish we could leave ebay a feedback for each problem.

by: Ted

Sun Sep 28 17:56:42 2008

"I wish we could leave ebay a feedback for each problem."

I think we are...with our feet.

by: Just a Seller

Sun Sep 28 18:18:09 2008

My DSR  is 4.97, 5.00, 4.97 and 4.88. My selling rate is about 5-10 items a month.
Now, on my dashboard my search standing is defined: standard.

Go figure!!!!

If ebay calls this kind of DSR standard I guess raised is just a legendary status.

The other option is much worse: ebay is playing with us a vicious game, in which the results are known before the game even started. Some sellers are preferred by ebay and get the RAISED status while others can do whatever is needed and will never get a chance to compete.

I feel I was cheated.....

Again!

by: David

Sun Sep 28 18:59:16 2008

There's no glitch, the 15% discount is updated only once a month.

I get about 8-12 feedbacks a month. Last month I got the 15% discount. Recently somebody left me a DSR rating that took my shipping time score from a 4.8 to a 4.6

I got immediately lowered to standard however it still says 15% under powerseller discount.

This does not deserve a blog entry. Obviously this person doesn't have enough feedbacks to view their 30 day DSR's.

1 2 3  [Next Page]