Tue Sept 23 2008 09:07:45

AuctionBytes Glitch Report for September 23, 2008

eBay Discussion Boards Down This Morning. eBay discussion boards went down this morning, eBay acknowledged. By 8:30 am Eastern, they appeared to be back online. (Last week sellers had problems accessing the Seller Central board for a period of time.)

DSRs Not Matching. I have received a few reports that DSRs are again out of whack (nothing official).

Making Bulk Edits. People have been complaining about eBay's bulk-editing tools not working, a major problem given the changes they need to make to listings to be in compliance with new policies. (It came up in the recent Town Hall meeting, and here's just one thread about the problem started yesterday.)

Here's someone else's challenge in making edits to remove wording about money order payments accepted: "Not a problem, except we are unable to revise 1500+ listings because we are repeatedly asked to sign in, sign in, sign in. Just taking us in circles. This has been a problem before that they can't seem to get fixed once and for all."

Report Your Problems! I recommend readers who experience technical issues document them on eBay's Technical Issues board, and of course on the AuctionBytes Glitch Report in the comments section below.

AuctionBytes Glitch Report for September 23, 2008   AuctionBytes Glitch Report for September 23, 2008

by: tj

Tue Sep 23 11:06:29 2008

The biggest glitch I have is the same as many other sellers…
On 3 of my sellers accounts with standard/raised ratings and NO lowering of visibility (according to sellers dashboard)
Zero sales in 5 days ??????

I opened a new seller’s account 3 days ago to see what was going on regarding reports of new accounts getting more sales than established accounts…and bam!!!!  Just Sold 5 items today with same listings, same photos, same listing title, same price & Postage.
Nothing on the 3 other accounts?
eBay is a complete mess

by: MsFish

Tue Sep 23 11:48:54 2008

Seriously, Ebay's whole site is a mess of glitches! It has been one major glitch after another. They need to hire some real grownups with tech experience, not a bunch of ex-gamers who giggle and say "ooopss, SORRY".

by: retrocloset

Tue Sep 23 12:47:29 2008

Ebay is such a mess I don't go near their bulk editing tools... I just got done revising 700 listings in my store to be in compliance, and you are better off to ALWAYS use an auction listing program.  I use Auction Wizard 2000 and changed the template to COMPLY with the ridiculous new rules and bulk uploaded.  Done; no problems.  You can do the same thing in Auctiva. Forget about what Ebay offers... its a problem like they are. Only thing is, I had to end all of my listings and do the changes and relist.   more money, but less frustration.

by: Mechelle

Tue Sep 23 13:25:14 2008

The DSRs are a wreck AGAIN!

I just received 1 feedback and my DSRs fell
Description 5 to 4.97
Communication 4.98 to 4.93
Shipping Time 4.92 to 4.86
Shipping Fees 4.82 to 4.78

I have had at least 70 DSR ratings over the last 30 days and I just can't imagine how my DSRs could fall that much with one feedback and I have never received a 1.

I received 20% discount last month with 5,5,4.9,5

Every feedback I have received the past week has dropped my DSRs

It is an error I know it is

by: noneya

Tue Sep 23 14:19:55 2008

Call them Glitches or simply FUBAR it's all the same result.
Just placed a bid for an item on Ebid, as a former powerseller who stopped listing on ebay 3 months ago I am now tired of waiting for ebay to get their "junk" together and am taking my shopping dollars elsewhere. If the transaction goes well I will start listing with Ebid. Ebay has totally failed to realize their top sellers are also their top buyers.
Lose me as a seller and you've also lost me as a buyer.

by: Harriet

Tue Sep 23 17:32:25 2008

Hop on over to eCrater too, lots of us there.

by: Keith

Tue Sep 23 21:12:44 2008

Isn't it crazy when you read these reports and see what people are going through and the amount of time and effort spent trying to nail eBay?  Time better spent running your business and making money.

Ebay stock is at $21.48, Let's see what happens when it drops below $20.00.

I am tired of the lack of customer support, constant changes, glitches, ever increasing costs and lack of sales regarding eBay that I could puke!

Way to go Donahoe!!!

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Tue Sep 23 22:13:32 2008

The purpose of holding ebay accountable for their irresponsibility, incompetence, customer abuse, and possible violations of law is to discourage other venues from trying the same tactics when they reach various points in their corporate growth.

If users and stockholders fail to make ebay an example of how not to treat customers, sooner or later ebay's competition will start hiring these conscience-free soulless MBAs, and the dance will start all over again.

Ebafia: the world's most despicable corporation run by the world's most duplicitous, deceitful, and despicable executives.

by: Larry

Tue Sep 23 23:30:30 2008

Oh, no!!! Not DSR glitches again! Now I am gonna be depressed when (if) they fix it this time.  While my 12 month DSR ratings have been stable lately, my 30-day DSR's have crept HIGHER over the past couple of days, with all 4 scores now sitting in the 4.95 to 4.98 range. . . the biggest advances were made today. I hope it's not an error this time.

This user has validated their user name. by: Pete

Tue Sep 23 23:36:14 2008

9-23 8pm est.  PayPal & eBay have security key issues preventing logins to both sites using the PayPal security key.  At this time the only work around is using the 'lost my key' link, or deactivating the key on both sites.  Oh... PayPal redesigned the security key page.  You can no longer deactivate the key for eBay on the PayPal side.  What a PITA.

This user has validated their user name. by: Bill

Wed Sep 24 03:00:06 2008

Personally I think eBay is being run by a bunch of lunatics or they do have a plan and we (all of us) are not in it. If that is the case and they do have a plan that would be the same as trying to get the United States to drive on the left side of the road or Wal-Mart saying that we are not selling this junk any more and we are just going to deal in high line merchandise.

As they follow this path eBay will not be around 3 to 5 years from now and all of the different groups of sellers will be fragmented in specialized selling venues.

Well it was fun while it lasted.

Bill

by: Kirsten

Wed Sep 24 09:52:47 2008

How about the crazy number of sellers who are getting hit with brand name restrictions this week? I am a clothing powerseller and got restricted as of Monday night with no response from eBay yet. There are several threads on the eBay discussion forums about this.

by: A seller on eBay

Wed Sep 24 11:29:24 2008

I'm a powerseller on eBay. The first month I received 20% discount. Since then it has been 5%.

My mode of selling has not changed. Maybe customers are ''feeling their power''.

Maybe eBay staff is making sure they don't deliver what they promised us in the way of discounts.

Stay tuned!

by: JulieA

Wed Sep 24 14:14:05 2008

@Ming:
"And the idea that running one's business and trying to make ebay accountable aren't mutually exclusive, BTW. It's called multitasking."

No, it's called selling out...and to the corporate dragon, no less.  "Multi-tasking" is what housewives and moms do.  Oh, but then again, your blatent mysogeny would never grasp that concept.

Come on, Ming.  Sell your line to someone who isn't afraid of your biting sacractic replies.  I, for one, am not.  You continue to sell on Ebay, by your own accounts giving them hundreds of dollars every month, and yet you still manage to foam at the mouth every time Ina posts a blog.  Again, crap or get off the pot like the other courageous gfolks who have bailed out on Ebay for a better life elsewhere.

by: another PS

Wed Sep 24 18:12:11 2008

to JulieA:

"Multi-tasking" is what housewives and moms do"

Wow, do you still have alot to learn....

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Wed Sep 24 19:10:23 2008

@ Julie

If you actually had any facts at your disposal when posting your personal attacks, you's slink away in abject embarassment.

You know absolutely nothing about me or my business model or even if I have a business or a business model. You really don't know whether I sell on ebay or any other similar venue or not. You don't know what or where I sell or even if I sell anything at all. And you certainly don't know how much, if any, I may or may not pay ebay each month in fees.

So go play with your personal dragons instead of posting fact-free statements about people of you don't know or know anything about.

Instead, you could spend your ample amount of spare time multitasking -- like making the bed and taking out the garbage.

And, BTW, it's Socratic not sacratic. The Socratic Method is a teaching method, and as far as I can tell, is irrelevant here. Or did you mean sarcastic? But, hey, who knows...or cares?

by: o.c.d.collectibles

Wed Sep 24 21:19:12 2008

Thank goodness I did not start listing again, and again, I had the urge to do so..and again, I'm so glad I didn't!LOL!

Take a look at the worthpoint site and look at the formation of the communities. It looks kinda cool. and there is some interesting business going on there with GoAntiques! Auctionwalley had an interview with Will S, on his show last week, and it was very interesting. I would recommend listening to it highly!I think these folks are right on target with where they want to go with all of ebay's exiting sellers...

by: mikethemag

Fri Sep 26 18:45:58 2008

I just printed the payment coupon for my very last eBay invoice.  eBay is still soliciting paper payment for listing fees, so that's exactly what they're going to get - a check!