Sun Sept 21 2008 09:17:45

Bidding for Politics. Will She or Won't She?

By: Nikki Ballard

Meg Whitman appears to be awaiting divine guidance concerning her possible future run for governor of California. Appearing in Los Angeles at a Town Hall LA event of about 100 people Thursday evening, Whitman first said she would discuss her time at eBay but acquiesced to the crowd's interest in McCain's views on the current economy.

At one point, when asked about her own political aspirations, she replied, "My job through the election is 150 percent John McCain. And then we'll see at the end of the year what the right thing to do. I'm a big believer that these things will reveal themselves."

Whitman's demurs come at a time when current Republican governor Arnold Schwarzenegger is confronting ever-declining public approval ratings due in part to the state's budget impasse. With Schwarzenegger also facing a recall attempt launched by the state's powerful prison guard union (his term runs for another two years), one wonders if Whitman sees herself as the knight in shining armor who can preserve not only the Republican party's hold on the governor's office but rescue the state of California along with it.

Nikki Ballard is Contributing News Editor for AuctionBytes NewsFlash. She is a freelance writer/editor and sometimes professional quilter. She presently lives in southern California. Email her at: quiltersartifacts @ yahoo.com.

Bidding for Politics. Will She or Won't She?   Bidding for Politics. Will She or Won't She?

by: JJH

Sun Sep 21 10:01:26 2008

California voters, you better keep your thinking caps on.

by: John

Sun Sep 21 12:07:17 2008

Meg Whitman for Governor?....To bad Ina's comment box doesn't allow html because I would have a rolling on the floor laughing hysterically smiley emoticon as my comment.

by: susan

Sun Sep 21 12:24:47 2008

I think she should run for it. Then when California implodes because of her leadership the land I own in Nevada will become oceanfront. Seriously if the voters of California are nuts enough to elect her than they deserve everything they get. I can see it now all state transactions are done through Paypal and all employees carrying a Paypal credit card. HAHAHAHA

by: Dannon

Sun Sep 21 12:37:03 2008

Now this is the scariest thing I've heard of yet. Will Californians go for a totalitarian style takeover? A surprising number of ebay sellers do. The way the press picks over every little thing, would ebay want that kind of scrutiny?

by: Patricia

Sun Sep 21 12:54:14 2008

Hey Meg...doesn't California have enough problems?  You try to run here and I'll do my darndest to spread around the truth about you and see that you don't get in!  Stay right where you are and be content to count the billions you've sucked out of seller's pockets and stay out of California politics!

by: unhappy

Sun Sep 21 13:59:59 2008

fist meg then donasshole, what are we coming to?

by: nonya

Sun Sep 21 15:25:41 2008

How many ebay sellers who have lost their sole income this year will be counted as ''unemployed''?

It's a wonder that the Obama campaign hasn't picked up on Whitman's perceived responsibility on sending this ''sales venue'' down the shoot and the resulting loss of income for thousands of sellers.

by: Lisa

Sun Sep 21 15:35:00 2008

I think the verdict is still out on what part Meg plays in the ensuing downfall of Ebay.

Obama has picked up on McCain's other financial expert Carly Fiorina. "...With the support of the Board of Directors, she led HP into a controversial merger with rival Compaq in 2002. During her tenure, the market halved HP’s value and the company incurred heavy job losses...Fiorina was asked by the Board of Directors to step down in 2005..."

In a new Obama campaign, they're stating she walked away with a 40+ million dollar golden parachute.

In my opinion, these new breed of MBA CEO's are nothing but educated, calculating crooks.

I hope Meg does run. That would bring more transparency to the underworkings of Ebay.

by: Aaron

Sun Sep 21 16:25:08 2008

Hey Whitman,

You already screwed up one company by failing to act on important issues before they BECAME as big as they are today.

Please do us a favor & stay the hell out of politics.

by: Frank Newman

Sun Sep 21 18:04:49 2008

Weak body, weak mind. She is in such horrible physical condition that who in their right mind would trust her judgement?  Whitman and John Donahoe are also responsible for the fall of eBay, the stock will be at $8 by second quarter next year, the media would hammer her on that. eBay was a no brainer company to run and she and donahoe ran it into the ground.

by: roadrunner

Sun Sep 21 19:49:19 2008

What's even more scary is if she gets appointed to some high level position in the McCain cabinet, (as a payback for her work during the campaign) should he win the election, or even as some high-level decision-maker in the commerce department or budget department.  Yikes!  I would prefer she keep her potential for disaster confined to one state only, please.

by: BOWHUNTER

Sun Sep 21 22:22:18 2008

This doesn't surprise me.Meg backs Mccain so does Trump.All of the mega rich are scared that if Obama gets elected they will have to shell out more taxes.If Mccain gets elected they will continue running the economy.Arnold has done a real good job with california now Meg will finish the job if elected.Bush and Chaney have done a bang up job with the country and economy and Mccain and Palin will finish this job if elected.Folks it is very possible that we could wind up in a severe depression.I mentioned this in another post that a country is only as strong as it's economy.It would be a nightmare if Mccain got elected and appointed Meg as secretary of the treasury.''GOD FORBID''.I would like for all the facts about Ebays problems and policys to be exposed to the public.The republicans thought that the mess with the economy wouldn't come to a head until the election was over but it looks as if it bit them on the bottom.They could make some cushions from the money that they have stolen from honest citizens to sit on.It will rain upon the just as the unjust and a lot of folks have had a ''STORM'' lately----

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Mon Sep 22 03:18:53 2008

The Republicans have tried and will continue to try to take over California politics from top to bottom in order to do to California's economy what they've been doing to the rest of the country since 1980.

Californians appear to be blinded by 'stardom' -- from George Murphy to the Governator -- and hope fully won't be fooled a fourth time to vote for a vapid, dishonest, and supremely ambitious spinmistress instead of substance.

If California were a country, it would have the 4th highest GNP in the world.

Meg Whitman would assure the destruction of the California economy.

This user has validated their user name. by: Mercy the Mingless

Mon Sep 22 09:07:15 2008

Whitman = Bain = Romney = Bain = Donahoe

by: Larry

Mon Sep 22 10:09:54 2008

Meg's legislation priorities will be:

1. a 25% FVF added to the Calif. State automobile license fee.
2. an initial $35.00 state resident listing fee, to document yourself as a resident of California.
3. a 12% FVF surcharge on your annual gross income.
4. All state taxes must be paid through PayPal. . . no checks or money orders allowed.
5. All future Calif. home sales must be listed on eBay.  No Realtors allowed.
Listing Fee will be $35.00 for 30 days, per house.
FVF on Sale will be 12%.
6. More than 2 traffic offenses in 1 year, and you will be NARU'd from the state.
7. Each resident will rate their next-door neighbors on exterior landscaping, noise level, number of pets, and general exterior appearance of the residence.  If you don't maintain  a rating of at least 4.3, your home will be burned to the ground,
and you will be NARU'd from the state.

by: Ron

Mon Sep 22 10:37:00 2008

I guess I should have known better that none of you people would have anything positive to say about this. How about you get your happy asses out there and run for Gov! If I lived in Cali I would vote for her without thinking twice. She has forgot more than most of you know about life.

by: Patrick Alexander

Mon Sep 22 11:01:22 2008

''I'm a big believer that these things will reveal themselves.''

''She has forgot more than most of you know about life.''

You both need to stop watching so much TV. It distorts your view of the real world.

Meg should take some of that billion $$$ she clipped eBay stockholders for over the last 10 years & buy herself a clue.

I'm sure she could afford one for you too, Ron.....

I'm not from California, but she is the last person I would want running my state. Next to Donahue...

by: MEGlomania

Mon Sep 22 12:19:10 2008

@RonYou would vote for Meg for governor of California ''without thinking twice.'' LOL, thats the only way anyone would vote for her.

by: BOWHUNTER

Mon Sep 22 21:12:53 2008

I knew that there was one person in the united states that would vote for Meg.Lately my a** hasn't been happy.My a** is tired because I have to work almost twice as much as I did 10 years ago to pay the same bills.My a** is concerned that I will lose my retirement.My a** is troubled for the small child that will never get this debt paid that this group of IDIOTS have gotten all of us into.My a** is worried that my country could fail because now the solution to all our troubles is to give 700 billion to the very ones who have created this economic mess.My a** will go this fall and vote and it will not vote for more of the same.I hope that my a** will live long enough to see another president who will leave this country with a surplus in the treasury when he/she leaves office.I just can't believe that there are as many happy a**** as there was eight years ago at least I do know that this one is not happy.

by: angryjim

Mon Sep 22 22:33:14 2008

Whitman is John McCain in a blonde fright wig.