Sun Aug 24 2008 17:39:21

Announcing the EveryPlaceISell.com Merchant Directory

For some time now, David has recognized the need for a place where merchants could show shoppers all of the channels on which they sell. (I thought it was a pretty good idea, too!) With reader surveys coming back showing more and more of you are selling on multiple marketplaces and creating your own sites, we decided to launch the EveryPlaceISell.com Merchant Directory.

You can read more about the directory in today's AuctionBytes-Update newsletter, and the website is live here. Sellers can submit listings for free, and buyers can use the directory to research sellers.

David and our programming team worked hard to create a user-friendly directory. As we exposed the site to new rounds of beta testers, they uncovered issues and made excellent suggestions, which we've been busy implementing.

But this weekend, we were confronted with a challenge. How do you roll out a brand new site in beta to tens of thousands of readers in a controlled manner? So we are opening up registration to everyone, but will be accepting registrations slowly as we look for problems and solicit feedback.

During this phase, it may take up to a week to receive an email notifying you whether you have been approved or not. Once your registration is approved, you can go in and set up your listing. When you set up a listing for the first time, and every time you update it thereafter, we will review it and send you an email - so again, we ask for your patience during this process.

Please make constructive comments in the EveryPlaceISell.com (EPIS) forums - this is only open to registered users who have been approved, so in the meantime, please make your comments in this blog post.

This new site is all about empowering sellers. We do not favor one marketplace over another - it's up to sellers to decide where they want to list items and where they want to send buyers, and it's up to shoppers to decide where they prefer to do their shopping!

Announcing the EveryPlaceISell.com Merchant Directory   Announcing the EveryPlaceISell.com Merchant Directory

by: Harriet

Sun Aug 24 18:14:40 2008

Great idea and I started signing up until I came to this part of the terms

"You understand that by registering as an EveryPlaceISell.com user, you will or may have access to discussion forums where your full name (first and last name) will be viewable by other members."

I do not want my full name, first and last to be plastered all over the Internet.

Is that what you meant by that phrase? That our real first and last names will be revealed all over the Internet?

Or did I misunderstand?

by: donnell wells

Sun Aug 24 18:17:19 2008

My Dear Ina-
You are such a Godsend to all ebayers.

The first thing I suggest to people when they ask me all the tips and tricks of starting to "sell" on ebay is
to read each and every one of your newsletters, info emails and get familiar with your whole library of information.
Of course, that lets me off the hook because, once again, you are doing all the heavy lifting for so many of us-

You and David deserve so much of the credit for your honest, newsy, clear and competent evaluation of this murky
ebay swamp.

I truly, truly appreciate it and I am ashamed that I do not send you a dividend check every month for "consultation".

You just hit another homerun for all of us and I wanted to let you know that
I owe you BIG TIME....again.
Be safe, be well &
Merci,
Donnell Wells
The Old Schoolhouse
Dallas, Texas

by: donnell wells

Sun Aug 24 18:19:17 2008

WAY TO GO! -

MERCI,
DONNELL

by: Keith

Sun Aug 24 19:36:50 2008

Wow! Why didn't I think of that!!!  What a great idea!

Glad to help in anyway.  I can't wait to see how many folks are selling on sites other than eBay.  Maybe eBay will take a long hard look too!

by: Jennifer

Sun Aug 24 20:58:51 2008

Good question Harriet! I did the same thing, until I got to that part. This is a great idea, but I'd like to know about the whole name as well. The net is pretty scary at times as it is. Also how will it be publicized?

Thanks!

by: o.c.d.collectibles

Sun Aug 24 21:18:45 2008

oohh ooooh ooohh!! I have a suggestion! How about including a page just for each seller who enrolls, where they could "coordinate" their list of locations, including links to places they like to reference, etc..Sort of like the old MY EBAY page only for stores locations instead of listings! Like a dashboard where you could make notes to yourself?I know it's going to be confusing running from store to store trying to remember which buyer found you at what place!LOL~

Your idea is great and it will, indeed, be illuminating!Thank you Ina for allowing a wonderful newsworthy forum where everyone can participate fully and not worry about being censored for every  site mentioned.

by: Gordon

Mon Aug 25 00:16:20 2008

Ina, Aren't you and David concerned that eBay might file a lawsuit ???   John and Lorrie wont be to happy about this you know.  They are very well connected so I think you should be very afraid.

by: Jeff S

Mon Aug 25 07:31:01 2008

Great idea!  Kudos to AB for leading the way.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ina

Mon Aug 25 17:37:11 2008

Regarding the privacy concerns regarding seller names, I hope this helps clarify things:

The directory is geared to promote online sellers, and we will do our best to get the most visibility possible to the site. You need to enter basic information to register for the directory, such as your name, complete address, phone number, email address. Once you register and have been approved, you go set up the directory listing. The street address and phone number are optional, but yes, your name and location, etc., are published.

If you don't want exposure, then this is not the place for you to post your information - our intention is to show as many shoppers your listings as possible.

Please keep the questions coming, it's really helpful!

by: Boycott Ebay/Paypal

Mon Aug 25 20:14:41 2008

Wanting exposure for your business is one thing.

If you ever picked up an online stalker by exposing your name, you would "get" why some do not want their personal names available for every nut out there.

by: Harriet

Mon Aug 25 21:16:15 2008

Would it work to use the store name from any of our website selling venues as the name, eliminating the last name field? That's already out there on the Internet and shouldn't pose such problems.

There are people in and on eBay who could look to do real harm to someone who posted about selling on other sites with their real names, not to mention just anyone on the Internet.

Once search engines pick up the name connected with a selling venue it's "party time".

by: meme

Tue Aug 26 01:01:11 2008

Ina,
I agree with not having last name published---that is inviting TROUBLE.  I learned the hard way.

Otherwise I think this is a fantastic idea and a blessing to sellers.

by: C. Y.

Tue Aug 26 01:18:58 2008

I agree that it is a great idea, and thank you!

I also agree that while I've signed up, I won't be using the account until I know that my full name will not be posted.  My business name is great, and I can even agree to my first name, but I don't like the idea of having my last name posted for all the Internet to see.

by: Jay

Tue Aug 26 07:19:58 2008

I would be interested to sign up. But the first and last name published ? The risk is too high. Whenever I call or chat with ebay they ask for my first and last name to verify the account. Google and the others will pick up all the names in a matter of days. Some sellers have already paid for fraudulent transactions and learned the hard way. So it's a no for me, unless Ina will change this. By the way, that's exactly why most countries have a privacy act.

by: Barbara

Tue Aug 26 08:29:12 2008

It was a breath of fresh air to read the news about this wonderful directory.    Yep - I have same concerns about the last name thing but I signed up for consideration.

I especially love your thoughts that it is a site to empower sellers!  What a novel thought!!  After being bashed and based by eBay, this is such good news.  Thanks!

by: Maggie Dressler

Tue Aug 26 09:23:32 2008

Wonderful idea since many of us are leaving or drastically curtailing our ebay endeavors.

Is there a place to add an ecommerce store hosting site to the list of places I sell?   We run an online mall Collectors Online Mall, it's a new venture, but growing.

by: Vicki

Tue Aug 26 12:40:56 2008

This is a great idea.  However, I was wondering how it will be promoted.  Will we be responsible for driving traffic to the listing?  Please explain more about how this will work.  Thanks!

by: Patricia

Tue Aug 26 15:41:43 2008

Ina, thank you...this is such a great idea.  I put a small post on my blog about it.  Hope that's okay with you.  I just want all the sellers to know.

by: Barbara

Tue Aug 26 16:07:40 2008

Ina, I really think you should take it into consideration about first and last name. You will have the main directory with everyone's name, so why do you have to have all show it. First names are good as well as a profile name. Just my thoughts
Thanks

by: Nora

Tue Aug 26 22:20:37 2008

Jeez people, the name is such a non-issue! Use an initial for your first name. That's what I did, and I got approved.