Fri Aug 22 2008 10:00:13

Could GoAntiques Solve Problem of Small eBay Sellers?

GoAntiques told users yesterday it would launch an auction platform in part because of eBay's decision to take away third party arbitration and mutual withdrawal of negative feedback as factors, as well eBay's decision to discontinue its live-auction platform.

With eBay increasingly focused on providing a traditional retail experience (some believe to compete more with Amazon.com), smaller sellers have raised concerns about whether they will be able to survive on the platform. Indeed, some of eBay's announcements this week favor commodity selling, making it less expensive to list multiple, identical items.

GoAntiques is being acquired by Worthpoint (see today's AuctionBytes Newsflash article), and together they may have a chance at challenging eBay's dominance in the antiques and collectibles category. It will be interesting to watch!

Could GoAntiques Solve Problem of Small eBay Sellers?   Could GoAntiques Solve Problem of Small eBay Sellers?

by: Mike

Fri Aug 22 10:45:32 2008

Remember a month ago when eBay announced it was closing down eBay Live Auctions? There is a lawsuit against eBay filed by buyers for shill bidding and now lawsuits have been filed against eBay Live for offering a competitive edge to a few live auction sellers who may have reaped millions in revenues by using an option/tool to flood the front of eBay core categories (during the last few years). The story is being followed at http://www.legaleagles.wordpress.com
There's much more to this story then anyone could have imagined.

by: Seller & Buyer

Fri Aug 22 10:52:58 2008

Smell's like some fresh air again.All e-bay has created again is another firestorm of anger, which is not going away anytime soon.I will be glad to support any new alternative to what we have now.

by: Hillary

Fri Aug 22 10:56:01 2008

Not for anything, but as a collectibles and antiques powerseller, we aren't having any problems. Auction prices are higher than that have been in years. Of course we are annoyed by the recent changes but, for whatever reason, it has been fantastic for business!

by: Pat McGoohan

Fri Aug 22 11:01:58 2008

i'd like to make a challenge to Hillary and her Ilk who are doing so well during these rough times.

Let's see your seller id.

i'd like to see wht youre obviously doing right. if anything you shouldnt worry about us beating you because at this point we're going to be at best 2-3 steps behind you.

So and this is to all of you who say how good life is?
lets see the ID.

by: Daisy

Fri Aug 22 11:09:24 2008

I don't sell antiques but I've seen lots of posts from sellers who do and they say they will not accept Paypal for expensive items because of the fear of chargebacks.

I hope GoAntiques makes it big! Knock Ebay off their unworthy pedastal.

by: Hank

Fri Aug 22 12:23:10 2008

Daisy is correct. Many amateur collectors get caught up in the frenzy of bidding, then get buyer's remorse. Suddenly the item becomes SNAD and PayPal (ie eBay) will lockstep approve the refund (including the shipping costs) with the only requirement for return shipping being an online-reviewable delivery confirmation. The buyer could return a rock and get their money refunded. Even in the face of a PayPal refusal the buyer can still file a chargeback with his credit card - if liberal enough the CC will approve the chargeback on the buyer's say so.

by: A Thought

Fri Aug 22 13:06:03 2008

To Pat: why would any successful seller open themselves up to potential 'disruptive bidder' activity by answering your challenge?  If you want to see what the top sellers in your category are doing, learn to do the research on eBay/Terapeak and answer your own question.  The experience will also educate you on an activity you should be doing more often -- watching what your most successful competitors are doing, to see if perhaps you can do the same!

To Hank: eBay's new electronic payments only policy changes little, when you really think about it.  You said so yourself -- if the buyer uses a CC and contests the charge, many CC companies will refund the payment even without the item being returned.  And the seller likely has less chance arguing with Captial One than they would with PayPal.  So how does the change in payment forms accepted make any difference?  From what I see - it doesn't.

by: Sheri

Fri Aug 22 13:18:49 2008

"And of course no one seems to be mentioning the fact that PayPal/eBay will now earn an additional substantial fee on every sale that they otherwise would not have received if payment was made by check or MO."

And that is the singular objective in my opinion!

by: Mitzi

Fri Aug 22 14:29:26 2008

I am so excited about this news!! Two good companies coming together like this could really shake things up for us antique/vintage sellers online - I can't wait to see what happens!

by: JT

Fri Aug 22 14:47:28 2008

As a former GoAntiques vendor, I am very curious to see how their auction format will be when they roll out this fall.

Right now they are using Ebay Live Auctions (and we know Ebay is closing down the live auctions by the end of the year). GoAntiques run many various types of live auctions, but they have a minimum start price depending on the auction. The opening bid can range from $20 and up.

So the question is going to be when they roll out their auction format, what will be the minimum start bid for these auctions. If it is like their current live auctions, this will leave many small sellers unable to use the auction format at GoAntiques. Me included, as I am an ephemera dealer. My ebay ASP is between $7 - $18. None of my ephemera items ever qualified for live auctions when I was with GoAntiques.

So I am not going to get to excited until GoAntiques rolls out the specifics. I hope they would allow small dollar antiques and collectibles to sell! But I just have that feeling they will continue the way they do auctions now, starting bids of $20 or more.

by: JT

Fri Aug 22 17:31:32 2008

Correction to my earlier post. I went to GoAntiques live auctions on Ebay. It appears that the opening bids are less than the $20 opening bid I previously mentioned. Sorry for this mistake. Only a handful of live auctions though are opening under $20.

If anyone is interested, their ebay user id is goantiqueslive

by: joyce

Fri Aug 22 17:58:31 2008

I wish goantiques were the answer but for me it is not. I have had the great misfortune of dealing with them a few years ago and will never deal with them again. I would strongly recommend that a wait and see attitude take hold. The idea is great, the people that run goantiques are not. www.unusual1.com

by: tula

Fri Aug 22 20:11:09 2008

All those complaining about Paypal taking a fee, well, duh!  If you want to accept credit card payments in any form, you have to pay a fee to some sort of merchant.  If you've checked out any merchant accounts out there, you'll see how price-competetive Paypal is.  Yes, Google is cheaper, but there about the only one.

Now, I'm not defending Paypal's policies.  I don't like that they are not an FDIC insured bank and their control over my money is a concern (which is why I rarely leave any balance in my account).  They also share eBay's lack of customer service.

Amazon doesn't break out the cost of CC handling but you can bet it's included in their 15% FVF.  And merchants charge their fees on the total value being charged.  Yes, this includes shipping, so Paypal isn't the only one.  Credit card processing is a cost of doing business, no matter who actually owns the processor.

by: John Bazelow

Fri Aug 22 20:39:25 2008

Does anyone know if GoAntiques or Worthpoint are affiliated or owned by or in part by eBay in any way. I would seriously consider registering to sell but have reservations registering with any eBay affiliated or owned company given how I and all sellers have been treated by eBay.

by: Andrea 'Enthal

Fri Aug 22 21:39:24 2008

I fail to see any auction element to GoAntiques. They did live auctions on eBay, but their site appears to be fixed price, with one picture, and pie in the sky pricing.
I looked up some items that I buy on eBay for $5-20 and found them there for $95. No different condition, rarity, or availability.
A venue, sure, but viable--doesn't look much like it. It might replace an eBay store, but it won't replace eBay as a selling venue because you can list any price you want, but you can't get that price unless some buyer wants that price too.
I'll watch it, but not with baited breath.

by: fedant

Fri Aug 22 22:17:23 2008

I have been sellgin antiques & collectibles on eBay since 1998, and I have seen about a 75% decrease in profits.  I do 3 times the work to get the same results. And don't get me started on the rise in the number of of the non-payers. Hope goantiques takes all the antiques/collectibles biz from eBay. If they get he serious collectors there, I will join in a heartbeat.

by: Carol

Sat Aug 23 00:26:15 2008

I think it would be a breath of fresh air. I will be watching and waiting and the minute they have their auction format in place, I think I will give it a try. Nothing can be worse than Ebay at the moment...I hope they crush Ebay!

by: will

Sat Aug 23 02:31:36 2008

GoAntiques/WorthPoint will solve many of the items you mentioned above. It is also a system that will work for just collectibles and antiques. No DVDs, modern cameras adult items and such. We will have very reasonably priced autions for the $5.00 items. I sell many of these priced products myself, on eBay, and have been upset with their fee increases for running a real auction. Thus, when this is set up, we will try to work with many of the above concerns. I start my items at 99 cents and will encourage all to do so. WorthPOint's users are generally homeowners that want to sell something, so an auction venue should bring a lot of neat things to the market.

I am the founder of WorthPoint, my name is Will. You can email me at WIll@WorthPoint.com. I can assure you that eBay does not own any part of either of our companies. I would not feel good about that.I will also encourage the GoAntique dealers that if their reserves are too high, they will not sell items. Sometimes as a dealer, you over pay and need to move on and take a loss.

While I have sold on eBay for 10 years, I am moving to WorthPoint and GoAntiques. I have sold 6 items on WorthPoint in the last 4 weeks which is very encouraging. I am also setting up a dealer shop in GoAntiques. I had 7000 plus feedback on eBay.

Will

by: John T.

Sat Aug 23 09:40:42 2008

Will,
Go Antiques was involved with a shill bidding lawsuit a few years back, which was settled and is now involved a new shill bidding lawsuit (along with ebay). Does the new auction format prevent shill bidding?

by: bluemoon49

Sat Aug 23 13:48:35 2008

Could GoAntiques Solve Problem of Small eBay Sellers?

I don't think so.  Unless some serious cleaning up is done with new ownership, Go, is not the place for good honest sellers:

From toolhaus:

Dirn=Received+by&ref=home

So
many negs toolhaus timed out trying to retrieve them all.