Sat Aug 2 2008 11:18:37

What Does Amazon Acquisition Mean for Booksellers?

In what is Abe-azonian news for booksellers, Amazon.com announced Friday plans to acquire AbeBooks, a marketplace that itself has acquired some interesting book-related services. (See AuctionBytes Newsflash article.)

What does it mean for online booksellers? There are two major areas to consider - one is the potential for sellers to reach more book shoppers as Amazon leverages its properties. The other is the potential for higher fees due to less competition in the marketplace.

Booksellers generally list on multiple channels, and with Amazon.com revealing its plans to run Abe as a stand-alone subsidiary, it's not clear that much will change in the short term. What would be on booksellers wish lists with this acquisition?

Amazon's hometown newspaper had this to say about the deal; and AbeBooks hometown newspaper had some interesting statistics in its report.

What Does Amazon Acquisition Mean for Booksellers?   What Does Amazon Acquisition Mean for Booksellers?

by: Caliente

Sun Aug 3 00:17:24 2008

Perhaps they are setting up to move in for the kill. PLEASE DO.
We could only hope that this could just be the skeleton site, which will soon turn into the NEW auction site.

The did also announce the new  Checkout by Amazon and Amazon Easy Pay. Looks like they're putting something together, behind the scenes!

by: Kate

Sun Aug 3 12:04:24 2008

Why Amazon is very focused and has made some great moves, Ebay struggles and struggles with thier direction and indentity. Nobody knows who Ebay is anymore. They have a very short-sighted quarter to quarter goals that any long term strategy is out the window.

I don't like big players such as Amazon or Ebay acquiring great competitors. It limits your choice and usually jacks up costs. The bright side, it will wake up Ebay once again and let them know they aren't the only game in town.

by: mindelec

Sun Aug 3 15:19:45 2008

some years ago, when amazon was first starting they bought a competing book website... and shut it down.

i really don't want to see abe's inventory appear on amazon. my sales there have been increasing, dumping a ton of listings on the site can't help that or vice versa with amazon books appearing on abe. nor do i want to see amazon's shipping policies on abe, they don't give enough for international shipping and most of my abe sales are international.

guess we will just have to wait and see...

by: o.c.d.collectibles

Sun Aug 3 15:58:58 2008

I have no idea, but I used to use abe books to look up the various hard to find antique books or the rarer species of books, then list on ebay...

But with ebay being as it is now, I'm still frozen with fear to even list again. Although I was warming up a little before all the search and BETA fiascos started appearing..

Then I went to Amaazon to see what it would be like to list there. It looked like a cold and calculated site, with no options of showing your own photos or any other items BUT books and retail stuff.I wasn't feeling really excited about the fees there either..so I passed on registering.

Now I'm wondering, with all the specialized vintage books I want to list, I don't know where to go now..For instance, I have a nice AA book 2nd ed 3rd pr, and I really have no idea what I should be doing with it..What would you do? Go somewhere where someone will happily scam you and you'll get no support, or go somewhere else where you sell quickly and get 1/3 of what you expected to get??

by: oh nO !

Tue Aug 5 05:56:53 2008

What does it mean? It means lots more listings at Half.com, Biblio.com and Alibris.com because amazon strict rules are unfair to sellers. Not crazy like ebay, but bad enough.

by: M.C. Nygard

Tue Aug 5 16:04:31 2008

I'm all for Amazon creating a larger marketplace -- so go for it Amazon keep on those acquisitions to beat eBay like fabric.com and Abebooks.com. And while we're at it, I think all eBay sellers should swim up the river and sell on Amazon. We list Amazon as the top eBay alternative on our Web site on how to make money on eBay and beyond. (We also like RubyLane.com and Etsy.com). But Amazon is great for all kinds of products and anyone who authors a blog should see the resources eBay has. It's so easy to set up an Amazon bookstore. We have lots of Amazon bookstores: for example: www.safemanicure.com

All the best to you surviving eBay sellers!

by: Robert Hoover, Jr.

Wed Aug 6 09:17:44 2008

I have mixed emotions about Amazon acquiring ABE books.

I used to sell on ABE because of their affiliation programs that made the ABE listings available thru Amazon, and others, and this is how I made most of my sales. I quit selling on ABE simply because I'm a small, home-based, part-time seller and their monthly fees forced me to charge a lot more than the big sellers who can list/sell hundreds of books each month for $1 and still make a profit thru volume. If Amazon's acquisition would make the listings on ABE visible I might consider going back to ABE. Under such circumstances it could be a good deal for all.

But at the same time I detest these super, monolithic businesses that want to be the only cat in town since it greatly reduces everyone's options. Nor do I believe that a 'one size fits all' approach to online business is the correct approach especially since it will force the small sellers out of business.

I am seriously considering Alibris for book sales.

by: mindelec

Wed Aug 6 20:58:06 2008

"If Amazon's acquisition would make the listings on ABE visible I might consider going back to ABE. "

i currently sell on both.  what worries me is vice versa, tons of amazon junk books appearing on abe and amazon deciding that abe should have the same shipping policies that they do and ripping me off on shipping costs.  that would also kill my international sales since the amazon alotment is not enough to ship a hardcover overseas.