Fri Aug 1 2008 11:52:55

eBay Survey Suggests ProStores Fee Change

A reader reports having taken a survey conducted by eBay that indicates it may be considering possible fee changes to its web-hosting business, ProStores.

The ProStores model is based on Kurant Technology, whose assets eBay purchased a few years ago. Current ProStores pricing includes monthly subscription fees in a tiered system.

For example, the "ProStores Business" plan costs $29.95/month with a 0.5% Transaction Fee. eBay sellers currently receive a 30 percent discount on all ProStores subscription fees.

According to the AuctionBytes reader, the survey indicated eBay may be considering moving to the following fee structure:

No monthly subscription fee; Half a percent commission (FVF); And an 8 percent commission if eBay drives the business to the seller's ProStores site.

In mulling this over, I think it may be one additional pricing plan that might be offered exclusively to eBay sellers. eBay may be considering pushing its ProStores harder at eBay sellers with possible integration with eBay Stores. Having no monthly fees would be attractive to the typical eBay seller, and in return, eBay would earn higher commission fees.

Pure speculation on my part, of course. If anyone has screenshots of the survey, please send them (or post a link).

eBay Survey Suggests ProStores Fee Change   eBay Survey Suggests ProStores Fee Change

by: Mookiesue

Fri Aug 1 12:29:38 2008

Hi. I was part of a PayPal focus group at this past eBay Live and while we had to agree not to disclose information regarding what was presented to us I can say that the focus of the group was possible changes in ProStores fee structure. Participants in the group made it clear to ProStores that they would prefer a system where ProStores was paid more for seller success (ie, lower monthly fees and possibly higher commissions) as this would provide an incentive to ProStores to increase the web exposure of ProStore sites.

by: ss

Fri Aug 1 12:33:34 2008

Ebay needs to quit screwing around with their new and improved ideas and fix the crap they have already introduced. They don't have a clue. Donna A Hole is a moron

by: Anonymousin2008

Fri Aug 1 12:52:50 2008

IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MONEY.

by: Peter Leeflang/CEO Leeflang Archives Corporation

Fri Aug 1 12:56:27 2008

They can do whetever they want with the pricing of their Prostores. It is not going to make any difference as their product cannot compete with existing store products. It is the most non-user friendly functionality I have ever seen, so as amateurish as most software they produce.

by: MERMAIDMONKEY.com

Fri Aug 1 13:02:59 2008

Disgruntled eBay sellers: you should forget ProStores! Hasn't eBay toyed with you enough? Stop letting eBay beat you up with fee increases.

Amazon's store is $59.99 a month with NO ADDITIONAL COSTS and the first month is free. It's priced $20 bucks higher, but the key is that there are NO ADDITIONAL COSTS. Nada. Zip. Nothing. Plus you can add Amazon products to earn referral fees. I'm so much an Amazon fan since eBay ruined my perfect feedback score. eBay screwed with loyalty from their bread and butter. It's time to take stock of Amazon! Come swim up the river with us!

by: Ebay No More

Fri Aug 1 13:04:22 2008

I took that same survey. The free front end option with the higher back end makes absolutely no sense to a smart seller.

Meg failed to adequately fund Prostores for several years (too busy throwing Ebay's money into the vast pit called Skype, China, and Express). Thus Prostores is seriously disadvantaged when compared to other similar companies. The target Prostores user is an Ebayer who needs some form of integration with his other Ebay services. Unfortunately for Ebay a totally Ebaycentric seller is almost obsolete today. Most sellers are looking for a product that can integrate with a number of sites such as Amazon, Overstock, etc. Handicapping your business with another mediocre and overpriced Ebay product is not smart.

I routinely help sellers branching out to other sites and I am always looking for new technology and/or new products. Today I was looking at a site by AmeriCommerce. That site shows what a truly current software provider product looks like. (I don't have any financial ties or connection to the business it's just the last product I evaluated.) People who are interested in a Prostore may want to compare a Prostore VS the Americommerce site. Compare the two sites features, SEO capabilities, feed capabilities, payment methods, etc and you can begin to see how far behind a Prostore really is. Americcommerce is not unique and I don't mean to imply a recommendation. There are a host of companies that can do the same thing (Yahoo stores, Volusion, Zoovy, etc. Why any seller would handicap themselves with a Prostore baffles me. IMO Ebay wasted a vast amount of money (as usual) and has a mediocre (at best) product that they can't find a way to suck more money out of their current users or draw more sellers into using. The best thing would be to modernize the site and make it compatible with other companies but Ebay has never been known as understanding their market or their users.

by: The Graduate

Fri Aug 1 14:35:34 2008

Just curious.  What on Earth can eBay's ProStores offer me that my own web site can't?

They can't even drive traffic to my standard eBay store very well.

And I get so much information out of my own site about buyer behavior, why would I want to give eBay information about my buyers in an information-precious age?

Sorry eBay, you got that precious 2% increase on a lowered volume of sales from that joke called an ''eBay store''.  That's about all you're going to get from me.

And another great thing about my own store is that eBay will never have the ability to hide it.  I'll put in the extra effort to drive traffic to my store, and just keep that 8%.  Thanks for another greedy scheme eBay, but I think I'll pass on that one!

by: TekGems

Fri Aug 1 14:55:11 2008

Revenue share like that of ChannelAdvisor, Yahoo! Stores, and ProStores is a big turn off. I will never support a business that makes it money using such a scheme.

by: steve

Fri Aug 1 15:26:56 2008

It seems to me that the whole idea of even having an independent e-commerce store is to get the HE** away from eBay, so why align with them at all?

Ebay are forever trying to find new and innovative ways to get into your pocket.

by: Mr.

Fri Aug 1 16:24:53 2008

Ha ha.  With DSRs 2 at 4.6 and 2 at 4.8 I have now achieved ''lowered'' status in this ridiculous idea called ''best match''.  Seems that someone had a problem with either the delivery time or the shipping cost thereby lowering the 30 day average of one of those attributes to whatever number eBay uses to determine when to hide you (note: still quite above 4.0 on even that 30 day average).
So it seems that 100% overall feedback with DSRs 4.8-4.6 can earn you buried listings.

Uhmm.  What to do now?  Maybe I'll open an eBay ProStore.
Even better, maybe I'll just flush my money down the toilet and watch the dollar bills spin instead of Lorrie Norrington.

Now for today's episode of ''eBay in the News'':

16-year-old arrested after eBay sting
Anchorage Daily News
(08/01/08 00:46:16)
DELTA JUNCTION -- An eBay sting operation has resulted in the arrest of a 16-year-old who is accused of breaking into the local high school and stealing more than $100,000 in computers and equipment in June, according to Alaska State Troopers. The teen, who was not named, is suspected of stealing 52 laptops, desktop computers, cameras and a surveillance system from the school, troopers spokeswoman Megan Peters said. The burglar caused $6,000 in damage to the building as well, she said.

Troopers surfing the Web came across the items on the auction Web site and suspected them of being from the school. Investigators subsequently contacted the seller and bought 13 Apple iBooks, an Apple MacBook Pro and a projector.

The arriving packages led troopers back to the suspect in Delta Junction. Investigators serving search warrants questioned the teen, who then led them to the remaining cache of computers, troopers said.

The juvenile is in custody and charges are pending, troopers said.

On a brighter note-
The stolen items were exactly as described.
She communicated with state troopers very well.
She did send out all of her packages in a very timely manner.
And she was willing to take a loss on shipping the stolen goods.
5 stars across the board!

Also the investigation effort fell on the state troopers and not eBay.  Despite the fact that all of her merchandise was stolen, she did earn a temporary 8.75% for eBay and didn't have any external links in her listings.
Such a great eBay seller should expect ''raised'' status in ''best match'' search results.
And only 16 years-old.  Imagine that.  Down with veteran 8, 9, and 10-year small sellers.  eBay has a very bright future with the sellers of tomorrow.

by: isobel

Fri Aug 1 16:58:28 2008

Ebay wants more money and really that's all it's about! We We have our own sight on the net through Homestead which is linked to prostores. We set up the store as BRAINS COLLECTABLE which they(homestead) have listed it on 29 or so engines. We pay one monthly fee and nothing else. Sell what you want and it cost you nothing extra. Ebay loves to make money on our sales. They own plenty and would like more!!! Used to be the best on the net, now they are good w/stores and prostores, but all they want is more of our money!

by: formercanadianpowerseller

Fri Aug 1 18:46:26 2008

ProStores in a joke.
They could not deliver my company's email 100% of the time which resulted in poor feedback and being lowered in Best Match.
I complained on a daily basis with both ProStores and ebay with no luck. ProStores Manager even said he would call my ebay account manager and he did not.
The result?
Nothing.
eBay told me that they are not responsible for ProStores and I asked why, considering they are an eBay promoted company just like Paypal - correct?
I even had a technical support agent from ebay on the phone tell me that ebay and ProStores integration is flawed and emails are an ongoing issues that they haven't fixed yet.
Stay far away from ProStores.
They will only hurt your business.
At least they have that in common with ebay and Paypal.

by: formercanadianpowerseller

Fri Aug 1 18:49:33 2008

One other thing....ProStores functionality is NOT MAC/APPLE compatible.
They do not mention this when signing up.
If you are a MAC user you are in trouble.
They only really support Microsoft Explorer for browser support.
Idiots.
Complete and total idiots.

by: beady eyes

Fri Aug 1 20:51:30 2008

While I won't defend Prostores, it IS a website builder...the same thing Amazon and Yahoo give you.  It has nothing to do with Ebay outside of being able to list from your website/e-commerce site to Ebay.    Just clearing up a few posts here.

Amazon webstore does not allow media sellers to list.  If I used it, I'd need to make my own listings WHILE STILL GIVING Amzn 8% as a fvf.  My processor is 2% and Prostores is .5%.  it is my job to push business to my e-commerce page (ie ProStores).

Funny thing, Ebay won't allow me to talk up my Prostore website in my ABOUT ME page.  How lame is that?

Anyway, until Amazon wakes up, I won't use their option because I won't give 8% for e-commerce when I only pay half that.  Now if Amazon let me use their pages in my store the way they do all other categories, I'd gladly give them the extra for saving me from making new listings.

by: Another powerseller

Sat Aug 2 00:20:30 2008

I quite like pro-stores conceptually,  from a ebay store marketing perspective.

However after using the trail product and then setting up my store, I was disappointed to learn that its key marketing feature- the ability to upsell and advertise to my ebay customers via prostores checkout- will be dropped completely. Without that tool, there is no reason to use prostores over cheaper more open systems'. So I cancelled my subscription immediately. I am grateful that I hadn't put in months or years of effort into developing the store before ebay announced that it was dropping its major marketing feature.

I expect the proposed changes- especially the vague promise to drive customers to prostores' is an attempt to hold onto current prostores customers, who would be leaving in droves now.

by: Keith

Sat Aug 2 21:50:32 2008

Garbage in..... Garbage out.....

by: Matt with BumbleZine

Mon Aug 4 16:03:43 2008

A change in the fee structure has been needed for quite some time.  However, the reported changes being considered isn't even close to the right direction for eBay and ProStores.  If ProStores is going to be taken seriously as an eCommerce product, they need to get rid of transaction fees entirely and work on building a proper product - something they have yet to attain.  ProStores's eCommerce product deficiencies are enormous.

by: DISGUSTED

Thu Oct 2 19:06:05 2008

I noticed the article about ebay getting a award from bush ,this is more proof why republicans need to be booted .Donahue is running the company into the ground and he goes to washington to get a award . SOUND FAMILIAR!!!!

by: corvairgal1961

Fri Oct 16 02:30:05 2009

I think Ebay should stick to what it use to Know.Now That There Bad Policy Making.It has to Screw All The Good Sellers out of More Money Because They have Made Very Bad Business Choices for them and Us The Sellers.Maybe a better way is to have a mediation service handle all problems?  Ebays Kicked out all Small Sellers and leave BIG Sellers alone.Big sellers are Bad for all of Us  When they dont have to follow the Rules.Fees should be lower Not Higher.Lets all raise the issue and get some better management in Ebay.The yuppies must Go!  Dum Policies are Going to Ruin this Company and all of us If things Dont Change.Everyone has to speak up.Raise fees I will quit selling here on Ebay.

by: jenny

Fri Jul 30 07:08:53 2010

Earning money has online never been this easy and transparent. You would find great tips on how to make that dream amount every month. So go ahead and  click here   for more details and open floodgates to your online income. All the best.