Tue July 22 2008 12:09:55

eBay's PayPal-Required Message a Glitch in Some Cases

Sellers began reporting last Friday they were receiving a message from eBay telling them they must accept PayPal or a merchant credit card because of a "limited transaction history on eBay" - despite having a history of selling on the site. eBay spokesperson Usher Lieberman confirmed on Tuesday that this was an error.

eBay has been requiring sellers with limited transactional history and those selling in risky categories to offer PayPal or a merchant credit card account for some time now. The policy - as announced on January 29 - has not changed, Lieberman said.

"Unfortunately, some sellers have been erroneously receiving warning messages. Based upon their long transactional histories on eBay and or the category they sell in - these sellers clearly should not have received warning messages. eBay apologizes to sellers who were inconvenienced or otherwise disturbed by these messages. We are currently working hard to remove this system bug."

eBay's PayPal-Required Message a Glitch in Some Cases   eBay's PayPal-Required Message a Glitch in Some Cases

by: RicRoe

Tue Jul 22 13:00:32 2008

Another glitch that just happens to fatten profits at eBay.

It never ceases to amaze that when eBay has a 'glitch' it always is a mistake that is aimed at improving their profits.

The 'glitch' excuse is wearing as thin as eBays constant claims oif being a 'venue'.

This either a test to see how sellers will react and measure how many will cave in to sign up for PayPal in order to continue selling on eBay, or it is another missle aimed at making sellers believe it is their idea to quit selling on eBay altogether.

CEO J Donahoe does not value casual sellers of any size and wants to turn eBay into eBayazon, this yet another nudge directed at the sellers he wants to purge from eBay.

by: Sun

Tue Jul 22 13:49:22 2008

Ric, you could be right. But most times, you give the company too much credit. Sometimes a glitch is just a glitch. eBay's technical infrastructure is a beast and it seems like they spend a lot of time trying to fix stuff because they've piled programming on top of programming.

by: Ruth

Tue Jul 22 14:33:54 2008

Sorry, eBay is full of it. Why do all their "glitches" help them push Paypal on even more sellers? How many more lies will eBay spew before ALL sellers give up and leave their site?

Here's another "glitch" that is annoying me lately. You can no longer use checkout if you want to pay with a check or money order. If a seller accepts Paypal, checks and money orders, the buyer used to be directed to a page where they selected their payment option. Not any more. When I try to use checkout, they immediately send me to Paypal. Since I dumped that worthless service years ago, the Paypal page states there is an error and to try again. I then have to send the seller an e-mail and tell him my payment plans. So annoying!

How low will eBay go to beat everyone over the head with Paypal? I will no longer buy ANYTHING on eBay because of all the Paypal nonsense.

Figure it out, eBay. Since you are only a "venue", you do not have the right to decide how the buyer pays and what payment method the seller accepts. Pushing Paypal is a big reason why sellers are running to Amazon. I'm afraid that eBay is self-destructing and will soon be the next Enron.

by: gg

Tue Jul 22 18:46:34 2008

Agreed In over 6 years I have not yet seen a 'glitch' that does not work in ebay's or paypal's favor

by: tj

Tue Jul 22 20:48:17 2008

Bullcr@p this was a water tester to see what the response would be to the Paypal requirement.

It is very clear that eBay management are pure liars as everything that backfires is now known as a system glitch.

eBay management must really believe that it's customers are plain dumb, stupid & rich

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Tue Jul 22 22:48:58 2008

EBAY LIES.

Not occasionally. Not usually.

EBAY LIES ALL THE TIME.

NOTHING they say is the truth except when it comes to announcing changes that shaft sellers or when they announce fee increases and even then they LIE, DISTORT, and MISREPRESENT.

If there ever has been a glitch that favored sellers, I've never been the beneficiary of a single one. Instead, there have been and still are dozens of "glitches" that always favor ebay and nearly always generate revenue for ebay at, of course, the expense of sellers.

Currently, they have Turbo Lister turned on to double listing single item within a 24 hour period if you use that program on a daily basis. Oddly, this seems to occur when ebay desperately needs to generate revenue.

In the past two weeks, I've discovered that nearly 10% of my items were double listed -- once when I actually did list them using TurboLister and the second time when these items were mysteriously relisted about 24 hours later.

Multiply that a few hundred thousands users and ebay makes a tidy little sum of money, and they hope no one notices for a few listing cycles.

Ebay: the world's most despicable corporation managed by the world's greediest executives.

by: Les

Wed Jul 23 00:03:04 2008

If eBay would ever total up their lost revenues due to their glitches and problems I think they'd be very surprised.
Can you imagine an eBay where everything WORKS?  An eBay where you can actually make a business plan because you won't have to drop everything to revise re-revise and re-re-revise listings to comply with the ever growing list of needless requirements?

Imagine THAT eBay....

Wake up - it's not gonna happen.

by: ???????????????

Wed Jul 23 00:03:06 2008

Sorry Glitchbay, that excuse is not working anymore.

Push the Preypal now, because I think you know that it will soon be a thing of the past:

See here:

by: Dave

Wed Jul 23 00:10:04 2008

Glitch my ass. When sellers started closing thier accounts, ebay quickly realized they screwed up and used the glitch fix. When  will the stock holders wake up and see that ebay has a problem with this new bunch of jerks that are running the show!

by: Dave

Wed Jul 23 00:14:14 2008

by: Lisa

Wed Jul 23 00:31:27 2008

Ina, Thanks for continuing to hold eBay's feet to the fire.  I'm not sure I believe this was merely a glitch.  Why is there never a glitch when they send me my bill?

by: mary

Wed Jul 23 02:17:29 2008

Just wanted to say that e-bay is my last resort to sell and if they depend on my occasional auction making them any money they are mistaken.  My e-bay fee is tiny now instead of large!!! Such a disappointment!!!

by: eMoviePoster.com

Wed Jul 23 09:44:02 2008

I am one who completely left eBay (from three million dollars a year to zero) and I couldn't be happier! I auction on my own site, http://www.emovieposter.com, and I no longer have to live in fear of eBay's ever-changing rules, and in fear of their digger deeper and deeper into my pocket, while providing less and less service, and fewer and fewer buyers!

I know full well not many sellers can completely leave to open their own site as I did, but surely most sellers can get work towards becoming much less dependent on eBay (through starting their own site and selling on alternate sites), aiming towards the day they cut the final tie to this ailing company.

There IS life after eBay, and it is quite nice, and I recommend it to all sellers who are still passengers on the S.S. Titanic, I mean, S.S. eBay!

Bruce Hershenson
President
eMoviePoster.com

by: Elizabeth

Wed Jul 23 09:57:09 2008

I sent Ina a copy of the screenshot I got with that stupid message on it and a copy of the email to Griff that I wrote and sent (since trust and safety has never done antyhing for me except remove auctions and lie about why). And I got the answer about "glitch". I don't believe it either.  And the things I got the message on did not get relisted on ebay ...they're over on Amazon and they can stay there. No more 3 cents a month over there. I'm not even a pro-merchant yet. As for ebay? I'll list there...but this week I'm concentrating on "off-ebay".  And the power buyer who lives here, who spent $1000 a ebay last month? He won't be spending that much this month...Not if he wants to keep eating dinner here.

Ebay only understands $$ Granted his $1000 is not much.  But if you added up all the lost sales by all the sellers who stopped BUYING on ebay cause they stopped selling there?  I think that might speak truth to ebay's power people.

by: Shelby's Attic

Wed Jul 23 11:11:46 2008

Glitch????

Rrrrriiiiiggggghhhhhhtttttt!!!!!

In light of some of the other articles today in Ina's letter, such as the contest in the UK, and the add for 'ShipRush' being integrated with eBay and PayPal, in seems to me that something is definitely "rotten in Denmark". I'm sure the 'odds' of this glitch occurring would even be a strain for Mr. Spock to calculate at all. LOL

By-the-by, if you believe this really is a 'glitch' I have some ocean-front property in Kansas I can give you a great deal on.  :-)

by: Julie

Wed Jul 23 11:34:17 2008

Typical of Ebay to be so vague...

Ask Ebay to define the phrase "limited transactional history".  I'd be very interested to hear their response, which would probably to be akin to a punchline.

They ought to be able to set a fixed number to "limited transactional history".

by: Sue

Wed Jul 23 11:51:52 2008

How are we, the sellers, to tell the difference between the glitches and the latest eBay policies?  They look so very much the same.

by: meme

Wed Jul 23 12:45:38 2008

Thanks ALL for posting--it gives me some comfort and encouragement to move on after 8 yrs.  I got the PP message "glitch"="limited history" and I was insulted.  Along with the NPB that I do not report, slow payers, fees, screwed up search, untruths,and my latest find=the drop down menus for feedback comments---which is worse than stars...oh, my!

Not to mention the fear, anxiety, anger and coping that we have had to contend with these last months-----I look upon this like a death of a loved one---first=shock, then grieving, then moving on.  I am at the "tail end" of my grieving letting go of my wishes and hopes.

Thank you MoviePoster for your post.  I can  not do my own web page but I can use eBay as a stepping stone into my future site and leave behind the covert manipulation, what was, what it became, and what it coulda/shoulda been.  Gotta hurry---the holiday season is almost here.

by: Ike

Wed Jul 23 13:14:13 2008

i myself do not beleive it is a glitch or a bug as ebay says to me it is, i listed last week with  out using paypal and as soon as i told paypal on the 15th i wanted to close my account all of a sudden i have to use paypal. paypal has allways been a real pain in the neck and even if you don't fight a refund , some buyer's sttill leave as negative anyway

by: Chop

Wed Jul 23 16:11:55 2008

oh cry me a river Usher Lieberman. All these glitches that give you an advantage. I'm sitting on 5.0s & 4.9s and 2,800+ selling feedbacks and I already accepted paypal but I have a grandfathered in account. Even my other account that was registered in 1999 got it. You and your cartel totally know what this is, its an intimidation behavior, just like ''usetheyellowbutton''. You just want to remind us who is boss. And this glitch has financial gain for ebay. This glitch will NOT let you list WITHOUT PAYPAL on the grandfathered account.

You are worst that ENRON, you are like the MOB with your bully tactics, your clandestine changes, your chronic page not responding errors. You might as well just renamed the entire site to GLITCH.