Sun July 20 2008 22:47:48

eBay Forcing PayPal on Sellers?

Beginning Friday, eBay began displaying messages telling some sellers they must offer PayPal or a merchant credit card because of a "limited transaction history on eBay." ChopSueySisters posted an image on the eBay Stores board of a message she said she received on one of her accounts. Other threads also appeared on the PayPal board describing similar experiences, here and here.

The BrewNews blogger wrote about the issue, saying he had the same thing happen to him. He wrote that he had spoken to an eBay support rep, who told him that eBay.com would eventually be requiring all sellers to offer PayPal unless they have a merchant account and speculated that this was a warning message to inform all sellers about the 21-day hold policy.

The ramifications for sellers without merchant credit card accounts would be quite serious - eBay announced a new PayPal 21-day hold policy in January at the same time it announced other controversial changes to its site.

UPDATE 7/22/08: eBay did display this message in error to some sellers, see new blog post.

by: angryjim

Sun Jul 20 23:36:54 2008

Sounds like eBay is trying out an underhanded method to impose Paypal on sellers who do not want it.

For small sellers using eBay is becoming an excercise in either madness or futility. Probably it's both.

by: tj

Sun Jul 20 23:46:49 2008

How else is eBay going to show any profit..so much for eBay dot com will never be Paypal only...well maybe a little bit only

by: nadine

Mon Jul 21 00:28:53 2008

What's more alarming is the speculation that the frequency of 21 day holds will climb - why else send out this notice randomly, even to sellers who already accept Paypal, if not to claim afterwards that sellers were notified of the new parameters for 21 day holds, to be determined when Ebay decides what it thinks it can get away with.

Like TheBrewNews blogger says, Ebay really is at war with its sellers. They have decided that auctions are on the way out, and they are making it a self-fulfilling prophecy.

by: Anonymous2008

Mon Jul 21 00:58:28 2008

I guess they see that the US is much more lenient with the law, than other countries and they are going to take advantage of that.

Or they are trying to get as much use out of Paypal, until it goes under, from the counterfeiting with Liquidation.com.

by: James

Mon Jul 21 01:19:54 2008

No, here is the real reason. Read for yourself.

hp?press_id=2571

by: Dave

Mon Jul 21 01:48:38 2008

I just tried to relist some items that didn't sell a few weeks ago. Was greeted with an announcement that I am forced to use paypal because of an insufficient transaction history.  Never mind that I have 700+ transactions with almost perfect feedback.  I will be calling them tomorrow to complain.  If no resolution, no more selling on ebay for me.  Looking forward to the next Democratic administration when anti-trust laws will be taken seriously.

by: Dave

Mon Jul 21 01:52:16 2008

P.S.  I am located in the U.S.

by: Ruth

Mon Jul 21 01:53:43 2008

If eBay wants to force all sellers to accept credit cards, then they should let them accept Google checkout. Paypal is unsafe for sellers and merchant accounts are too expensive. How eBay gets away with banning a safe payment method like Google checkout is beyond me.

This is yet another example of how low eBay will go to make a buck. Their stock is $24 a share right now and it will soon be five bucks a share if they keep up this nonsense. Sell your eBay stock NOW before it becomes another Enron!

by: Patricia

Mon Jul 21 01:54:31 2008

I'm afraid we're going to see even more of moves like this as ebay becomes more and more desperate.  They're failing - and crunching numbers and puffing up listings isn't going to hide that fact forever.

www.ACEOart.net

by: The Graduate

Mon Jul 21 01:57:13 2008

I'm planning a trade show and swap meet schedule.  For the last couple of months I've been checking them out as a buyer (and have been finding and buying great stuff).
Before Summer ends I should have most of my weekends booked for the Fall.

It's really amazing the way things work at these places.  People walk up to you, pick up your product, hand you money, say thank you, and walk away.

No back end fees, no ''feedback'', no PayPal, no packing and shipping, and best of all no eBay.

by: V

Mon Jul 21 09:24:14 2008

This just another ridiculous thing happening there. It's not for just new Sellers. I have been selling on eBay non stop for at least 3 years, sold first item in 2002, have hundreds of recent transactions and thousands of positives and 1 single neutral for my 7 year overall history on eBay. I got this stupid message too. They just throw things at us with no rhyme or reason. They should just leave us alone and let us work in peace, when we do nothing wrong and abide by the rules.  In the last 6 to 8 weeks there was only one week I did not need to call support for one reason or another, and one week I had to call twice so you can say it's been a weekly thing. Time wasted, I could have added more listings instead.  The rep could see no reason why I would get that message.

The communication on the site from eBay to users gets less than 1 star from me. They don't mean what they say and they don't say what they mean. Just awful.

by: bonni

Mon Jul 21 10:46:49 2008

Well, I'm not surprised. They did it to Australia (they weren't allowed to force a PayPal-ONLY rule, but they were allowed to force everyone to accept PayPal), it was only a matter of time before they introduced it elsewhere.

Wow, I wonder what the next brilliant scheme will be?

by: Jan

Mon Jul 21 11:01:04 2008

Sellers should have the option of deciding which checkout they want to use. Period! One reason I closed my store and am no longer selling on eBay even though I have over 780 positive feedback transactions and good standing in the community.

by: Swannie

Mon Jul 21 11:04:13 2008

For me to keep better informed, I went to http://www.google.com > news > left side of page > Alerts > typed in e-bay.  That is how this posting came to me.

Australia has recently successfully taken to the courts and won the rights of their sellers to not have to have PayPal as their sole form of payment; falling under their monopoly laws and a few other laws.

I am certain this would be a class-action, if a lawyer could step up to the plate and enough sellers had the moxie.

by: B. Robert

Mon Jul 21 12:46:56 2008

Dave wrote -"Looking forward to the next Democratic administration when anti-trust laws will be taken seriously."

Sen. Chris Dodd is a Democrat from CT. The problem from the last elections is that the Democrats took more seats in the Senate. You have your anti-trust laws mixed.. It is the Dems who sell their souls for taxes and power.

Reps. are fighting Sen. Dodd's sneaky insert into the legislation "Hidden deep in Senator Christopher Dodd's 630-page Senate housing legislation".

Just to make sure you know the facts; eBay does not want to report to the government on all their transactions.

B. Robert

by: Start-Selling-Online.com

Mon Jul 21 13:15:02 2008

I wish the FTC would do something about ebay like Australia is.  Ebay's forcing of Paypal on people is illegal.

by: Mr.Tim

Mon Jul 21 15:40:17 2008

Has eBay announced this latest policy change? At least have the guts to tell sellers when you pull stuff like this. I checked their Paypal discussion board all weekend and saw no confirmation of this policy change. Stop being gutless weasels, eBay, and have the courage to announce your latest scheme to force your unsafe and shady Paypal on everyone.

by: Lamp Lady

Mon Jul 21 15:47:48 2008

They say it is a glitch. I was able to list and also revise by clearing Temp. Internet files, deleting cookies and listing auctions one by one, exiting ebay each time and going back anew for each listing.

by: ebay glitch

Mon Jul 21 16:23:22 2008

sorry to go off topic, but.....

i'm worried that there is some kind of new ebay glitch.
recently, after the FIRST round of listing fixed price items (that did Not sell), i am Not getting the opportunity to relist with the chance for a listing credit.
in other words, after 1st round (7 day listing), i should see the 'relist' in my unsold items, but instead, i am getting the 'sell similar' link and even when i go to manually click RELIST, i am Not show the thing that says 'you may be eligible for ...'

anyone having the same issues ???

ps i am 6 year high volume, high level PS and have tried other ways, including thru SMP and it's not me or inexperience. has to be a 'glitch'

by: ebay glitch

Mon Jul 21 16:26:35 2008

ps
to clarify,
the above post is referring to another or new glitch