Sat July 19 2008 13:10:12

Let's Talk Domain Names

The EcommBytes column in the July 20th issue of the AuctionBytes-Update newsletter tackles the issue of domain names. Let's talk!

Whether or not you are ready to launch your own websites, you should consider registering a domain name, particularly if you have an existing brand, such as your eBay User ID. What's a domain? The AuctionBytes website resides at AuctionBytes.com - the name AuctionBytes is the domain name.

You can register .com domains and lots of others, such as .biz, .info, .tv, .mobi or .me. You can buy domain names and do nothing, or you can proceed to set up a website through a web-hosting service, where you may host a blog, information about your business, or sell products. Or, you may point your domain name to an existing storefront or your eBay Store.

At AuctionBytes, we often use the GoDaddy service to register our domains. So, what makes an effective domain name? Which service do you use for registering your domain names, how much does it cost, and have you been happy with them? Let us know!

by: Jusr a Seller

Sat Jul 19 15:40:49 2008

I am sorry Ina for being off topic (and I will understand if you take this post off board), but I think many of us would really like to talk about the Q2 report and its impact and to hear the things you have to say about it!!!

by: Loops

Sat Jul 19 16:08:18 2008

I don't agree Jusr a Seller. I think domain names are a great topic and one that should be taken very seriously. I have secured many domains that compliment by Ebay presence and it has been a great way to build credibility for your business. Anybody that invests in their image will reap the rewards tenfold.

Another great thing about having a domain name is that your email is easy to remember. What is easier to remember loopj12436@hotmail.com or loops@mydomain.com .

Great topic Ina and I when I get a free moment I will share more of how a domain name postively changed my business.

Let's Talk Domain Names   Let's Talk Domain Names

This user has validated their user name. by: Ina

Sat Jul 19 16:43:34 2008

@Just a Seller: Great point, I've created a blog post to discuss earnings. Thanks for the feedback. Now let's talk about domain names here. :)

by: NoDaddy

Sat Jul 19 17:46:28 2008

I used Godaddy for a few years. Not as a web host, but as my registrar and email host. I had to leave GoDaddy and I've been much happier. They mismanaged my email with over aggressive spam control that was causing legitimate emails to never even make it to me, with no notice they had been filtered. In other words, they had server side email filters I could not control. After many heated emails with support, I left.

I transferred to 1and1.com and I couldn't be happier. I get full control of all mail filtering and they are much cheaper too.

by: materialpleasures

Sat Jul 19 23:44:47 2008

Years ago, I had to opt for the hyphenated version of my domain name...then i purchased materialpleasures via a domain auction.  It was important to me to have it.  Like Ina said for branding purposes.    But you have all these little store fronts popping up, and little auctionsites popping up...and then can register their stores with any name.
I had posted this problem on the Copyright forum in Auctionbytes...and from what I understand, I have to hire a lawyer because someone in Australia is using my store name on an Australian auction store front.  There's another storefront on ebay, as well.

Thanks for bringing this up, Ina.

My best,
Dana

Let's Talk Domain Names   Let's Talk Domain Names

This user has validated their user name. by: Doc

Sat Jul 19 23:48:43 2008

Ina, good topic. Thank You :)

You are right on - register your eBay selling ID ASAP!

I register all my domains through Godaddy.com but do not use their other services.

Personally i recommend www.webmasters.com for hosting. They are an excellent web host and offer lots of free software that is easily installed like oscommerce stores and other free web utilities.

Not the cheapest web host but the service and support can't be beat!

by: Gary

Sun Jul 20 00:25:53 2008

So, what makes an effective domain name?
Less is more, it is getting very hard to find domains that are usable.

Which service do you use for registering your domain names

GoDaddy Go

how much does it cost

About $10 per year per domain

have you been happy with them?

Yes,very. Bob Parsons would make a great replacement for eBay's current CEO.

You spend Seven bucks at Godaddy and you can talk to a real live human from the US. Too bad eBay can't copy that.

We use gmail for domains which is integrated into Godaddy now and Gmail has been super reliable for web based and pop3 mail. Our gmail looks like it comes directly from our domain.

I have a FOUR letter domain for sale x4us.com for sale I am asking 55k It is very memorable and would work great for a branding campaign for any company or product. Four letter domains have become an endangered species one that makes sense is even rarer. Wouldn't it be cool to say "X 4 US dot com". x4us branded into your customers brain upon reading it only once on your advertising or letterhead.

Let's Talk Domain Names   Let's Talk Domain Names

This user has validated their user name. by: Bill

Sun Jul 20 02:47:09 2008

I have been registering domain names for years. I have used Yahoo, GoDaddy and am looking at 1&1 now. It is important to register any ID that you have since you never know when you might need it. For the cost it is in reality not that much and being able to use it as re-direct it is a very cost effective marketing ploy.

Bill

by: Wallee

Sun Jul 20 09:23:20 2008

"It;'s very frustrating.  So, what is a person to do?  Aside from registering as a .com?  Go to every storefront site and open a store there to protect their brand?"

Correct, every significant one plus .com no other way to do it !

Let's Talk Domain Names   Let's Talk Domain Names

This user has validated their user name. by: Nan

Sun Jul 20 09:37:13 2008

I own a bunch of domain names, some for branding, some for possible later use.  But I don't purchase them with my web space,  all my domains are registered elsewhere at domainmonger.com

I did this on advice from someone on the boards many years ago.  I believe I have better control of the ownership of my domains when I can manage them at an outside source and not have them bundled in with a webhosting package.  Who knows when I may want to change webhost (and I have) and bring my domain name with me.

An outside registrar like Domainmonger gives me complete control, I can easily change my DNS, lock my domain, or point my domain name at a location (ex: to my eBay store) all within a simple clean-interface control panel.  The customer service is excellent, quick to respond and clear with instructions.

Whatever webhost you chose, I recommend that you keep your domain names under your own control at an outside registrar.

by: Loops

Sun Jul 20 11:22:13 2008

A quick note and a lesson I learned about domain registrars. Make sure whoever you choose has a good track record. If you haven't heard about the collapse of Registerfly and the merchants who lost all their domains in a single night, then you really should do a Google search on it. ICANN pulled their domain credentials. Fortunately for me I only lost one domain name which I was able to recover with Pool.com a year later, but there are some horror stories about RegisterFly or other questionable companies.

There are several domain tools that I have used over the course of 5 years and I have a domain portfolio to be proud of. Try Pool.com and Snapnames.com. You add your WANTED domain names to your list and these services frequently check status and the second they become available they attempt to secure them for you. The price is generally around $60 a domain only if secured. If a domain goes to auction because it's on more than one persons hitlist then you will have to bid on it. Even with bidding I was able to get some domain names for very reasonable prices.

The names I have acquired I have set up shop with and give my customers a quick and easy name to remember for return visits.

A domain name looks great on business cards and other marketing materials. How can you not justify a $10 investment on something that will give your company a image boost?

It's a no brainer.

by: Loops

Sun Jul 20 11:27:00 2008

One last thing. I did pay a domain owner $2200 for a great name that worked for my company. It was the best thing I did and the small investment has rewarded my family greatly. I would recommend this only if you know the domain name will elevate your image into a superior postition in your category.

by: Ann

Sun Jul 20 14:29:15 2008

I have used Go Daddy for several years and have nothing but RAVES for them. They have the best Customer Service of any company I have ever dealt with. All calls are handled quickly and by the most polite, professional reps of any company anywhere. There prices are very low but that's just a bonus for all the other raves. Try 'em, you'll love them.

by: sceneeverywhere

Sun Jul 20 18:54:51 2008

I've performed a cursory investigation of the procedures involved with domain name registry and have found this blog VERY VERY helpful ... Thanks Ina...

Buuut, one thing I don't understand and I hope someone might be help me with this one. Don't get me wrong regarding this issue because I am not complaining.  I really want to understand the costs and and components of pricing for the domain name registries.

ICANN charges 20cents to register a domain name for one year and the least expensive domain name registrars charges around $10.  With margins like this it certainly appears that there should be room for some very heady competition.

Is there any helpful insight out there?

by: str8jack_it

Mon Jul 21 10:33:12 2008

I use godaddy.com to host my sites, but have always used www.gkg.net to register and park them for free.  They allow you to design your own free parking page that you can script to forward.   I once used a parking page as a forward to my eBay auctions.  My buyers could simply type in my domain name to view my auctions. Sadly, I took down the domain since I'm no longer selling of feeBay.

by: str8jack_it

Mon Jul 21 10:33:28 2008

by: diecastmike

Mon Jul 21 11:16:02 2008

I purchased my domain through Auctiva, which basically mirrors my ebay store listings, in a personal way. Im happy with the look and feel of the service from Auctiva. My question is,..since I purchased my domain through Auctiva, do I have any control over taking that name elsewhere and using that domain solely under my control..? Or am I locked into the limited use with Auctiva..? Its been a great stepping stone, and helped my sales etc, but now with ebay pulling more tricks out of their hat, I think its time I set up shop elsewhere. Thks all!

by: MarchAir

Mon Jul 21 14:59:25 2008

I have several domain names (I think about 10, now), and have been hosting my own site since about 2002. Actually, I have three sites, but only one is the same as my Ebay ID. The other two are personal. When I started I did an Internet search for "cheap domain names" and chose from the results. As it happened GoDaddy was the first site I bought domain names from. I really REALLY like GoDaddy (and love their commercials!), and have most of my domains registered there, but their prices are kind of high for webhosting, so I have hosted elsewhere.

Right now I'm getting ready to start hosting my website at http://netfirms.com/ because last year I bought four of my domain names from them when they had a special of $4.95 for .com and .net domain names. Although I've just parked those ones (for now), I have discovered that they will make your domain names private at no additional charge, and webhosting is included in the domain name price.

Domain privacy is helpful because it keeps spammers from looking up your contact info from WHOIS and then spamming you. (Not that I've had that happen a lot, but it can be a serious problem for some domain owners.)

Another thing I use my website for is an email forwarding service. For years, in order to protect my "real" email address from spam, I used the services of Pobox.com. That cost me $60 per year for 3 email addresses. When email was recieved, Pobox. would forward it to my "real" email address at my ISP. But when I got my own website, I realized that I could do the same thing myself -- so now I route my email through my marchair.com site, and nobody (not even myself, because I forgot it, LOL!) knows my "real" address at Charter.net.

But something I've recently learned is that it's becoming "industry standard" for ISPs to block/refuse email if the sending host does not have reverse DNS hooked up. So I had to pay a little extra to get that.

by: MarchAir

Mon Jul 21 15:17:40 2008

Oops! I need to make a correction to my statement about netfirms.com. They do not include free webhosting with domain name purchase. It costs $9.95 per month for a business site -- the same as my current webhost charges.

by: Kris

Mon Jul 28 19:12:50 2008

I was lucky enough to register an eBay user ID with a "com" at the end before eBay outlawed the practice.  Years later I opened my website with the same name.  It's been a real boon as I don't sell so much on ebay anymore, but I'm able to post most of my inventory on my AboutME page (with no links of course) and my user ID points them to the site.  It was a good move and I was able to merge IDs before ebay stopped allowing that too so my high feedback from my old ID moved over to the domain ID flawlessly.