Fri July 18 2008 16:48:02

eBay Tests 'Auctions Ending Soonest' Gallery in Search Results

The eBay Observer Blog noticed eBay is starting to roll out (or test) the new search-results design that shows a scrolling horizontal gallery with "auctions ending soonest" above regular search results.

This is something Jamie Iannone, eBay VP of Global Search, showed me in June, which I referenced in this article. At the time, Jamie said eBay was testing the feature on eBay Italy, so it appears eBay has begun tests on eBay.com. (I tried searches and was not one of the users exposed to this gallery feature.)

I thought eBay might roll this feature out only in certain categories, such as collectibles, but the screenshot on the eBay Observer blog shows the feature on the results page for a search for camcorders. I wonder if this design replaces the side-by-side (split-screen) design eBay had tested.

Questions for eBay Observer (and anyone else exposed to the test): as a shopper, does this add to your shopping experience? And are you seeing this feature across all categories?

eBay Tests 'Auctions Ending Soonest' Gallery in Search Results   eBay Tests 'Auctions Ending Soonest' Gallery in Search Results

by: eBay Observer

Fri Jul 18 17:10:44 2008

Hi Ina,

I just checked a few other categories and I am getting the new ''auctions ending soonest'' in the gallery results as well.  The only category that I didn't get it in so far was motors.  I will post some more screen shots on my blog at

by: bnirvana

Mon Jul 21 11:12:42 2008

I noticed this annoying feature this weekend when searching for some perfume.  It did not enhance my buying experience -- the only thing I found was that it delayed the page opening up and I thought it was annoying.  I completely ignored it.

by: Patricia

Mon Jul 21 13:01:57 2008

Sounds to me like they're reverting BACK to Going, Going, Gone which they foolishly got rid of in 2004!  We've only been asking for it to be returned since that time!  At this rate, ebay works sooooooo slowly and soooooo stubbornly even when its blatantly wrong that there is almost NO chance they will save themselves!

www.ACEOart.net

by: Colleen

Mon Jul 21 14:39:24 2008

This is ridiculous.  eBay, just admit you screwed up on changing the search criteria and go back to the ''Ending Soonest'' as your default.

All this money and time wasted on research and development to fix something that WAS NOT BROKE IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Donahoe, YOU ARE AN IDIOT, and so is your flunky Lorri Norrington.  You should both be ran out of town on a rail and your parents should be ashamed to show their face.

If you were my son I would have disinherited you a long time ago.

You have broke so many good small sellers who relied on eBay for a living or crucial part-time living and at a time when they needed it the most because of the economy.

Quit testing new worthless fixes, get back to business, when a seller or buyer reports a crook, don't send a canned email back, investigate it and get rid of them; and START ANSWERING YOUR PHONES AND PROVIDING GOOD REAL CUSTOMER SERVICE TO YOUR SELLERS; get rid of the BUY.COM viasco and you might start making money again.

There is already an Amazon.com.  Quit trying to be like them and start being the eBay you should have been all along.

For the money you make you are a real idiot.

Have a good day.

by: Tina

Wed Jul 23 08:12:04 2008

Colleen, I LOVE your comment!!!!
Right On. Wish ''they'' would read it.....

by: o.c.d.collectibles

Tue Jul 29 21:57:47 2008

I've seen the search screen with the little gallery of photos stacked up. It was when I was thrown into the BETA search.

Another example of failed and useless programming. If I wanted that kind of screen I could go to one of the tiny selling/listing/auction sites and search there. I could also list there too! For NOTHING, NADA, ZERO FEES...

Ebay has a lot of nerve charging folks those exorbitant final value FEES  for listings that look like that.I opted back to the "classic" version immediately after I realized what I was looking at.

Unfortunately ,I was not so  lucky with MY EBAY BETA and I was not able to opt out. I am also boycotting that page. I have no intention of feeding test results to the data collectors without some kind of compensation. My time is worth money!