Fri July 11 2008 17:24:45

eBay's New Links Policy on Hold for Now

By: David Steiner

eBay has confirmed with AuctionBytes that the links policy announced in May is being delayed with no time frame in place for implementation. According to an eBay spokesperson, the policy will be reviewed in August. Usher Lieberman told AuctionBytes that eBay is reviewing "lots of aspects" of the links policy. One of the items under discussion is restoring links in  eBay "About Me" pages to non-transactional sites.

The announcement was posted in the most recent "Power Up!" newsletter which goes out to eBay PowerSellers.No announcement has been made to the general community at the time of this posting. The links policy was set to go into effect this month.

Update: An hour after being contacted by AuctionBytes, eBay has posted to their general announcement board the following:

More Comprehensive Links Policy on Its Way
We originally announced that we would start enforcing our new Links policy this month. However, we're continuing to review the policy and plan to provide you with a comprehensive update around mid-August. This means we will not change our enforcement of the existing policy at this time. Once the new policy is introduced, you'll have a four week "grace period" to give you time to adjust your listings.

eBay's New Links Policy on Hold for Now   eBay's New Links Policy on Hold for Now

by: Stefan

Fri Jul 11 19:23:50 2008

So why did I just spend the last 6 weeks revising my links?

Do any of these departments at eBay talk to each other?

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Fri Jul 11 19:34:29 2008

@ Stefan

Do any of these departments at eBay talk to each other?

No. This is a symptom of inexperienced, unprofessional Peter Principle management team chosen on the basis of their baby pictures rather than any true management ability.

Titles and six figure+ salaries don't make a good manager, but the ebay BoD has NEVER figured this out and won't as long as Meg Whitman is a Board member and holds so much ebay stock whose proxies would outmatch those of the entire stock owning sellers combined.

These people have an overflated sense of their intelligence and abilities and need TO GO.

by: Lynn

Fri Jul 11 19:36:48 2008

I think eBay is hearing the "noise"!

The noise of sellers leaving...

by: Keith

Fri Jul 11 20:48:13 2008

Glad I didn't hold my breath...

I knew "BUY" would be unhappy with that one...

The principal people at eBay are out to lunch...  It is unfortunate that they have single handedly destroyed a wonderful place to do business.

But I will say on one hand I am glad to see that they may realize they are headed down the toilet... But on the other hand I think they may spring some more of their great ideas on us...

by: The Graduate

Fri Jul 11 22:37:20 2008

I have my email address in my listings.  And I have a link to my site from my about me page (which refers almost zero hits and definitely zero in sales).  EBay is afraid of losing imaginary pennies.

If this is a major problem for eBay, then they're just a company with whom I won't be able to do much business in the future.

They can close the listings, and I'll close the eBay store.  EBay sales are slowing down so badly that it wouldn't be an irreplaceable loss.

Trade shows and regular Craigslist ads may be an equal or better replacement.

We did a very successful trade show recently.
It was somewhat amusing that customers and exhibitors alike were expressing their disgust with eBay.

by: TekGems

Sat Jul 12 00:18:41 2008

First Thought: Regardless of policy changes by eBay, if you sell on eBay, having an automated system to quickly update your description is a MUST. Policies change over time and its not a good use of your time to revise your descriptions manually.

Second Thought: It seems eBay strategy to bring on the PAIN by introducing massive changes all at once is backfiring on them. I think their little experiment has realized the pain point eBay sellers are willing to endure. eBay, you better bring on your fee reduction ASAP or you will permanently turn off sellers to eBay. You may be the only auction game in town, but eCommerce is so easy to set up these -- someone with a little tech savvy can start their own business!

by: eBay: Fraud Central

Sat Jul 12 00:33:41 2008

WHY, OH WHY? Why would ANYONE, with even an OUNCE of sense, want to sell on eBay anymore?

Here we go again! What a ride it's been so far!

NOW WHAT? WHAT could possibly be next?

The eBay Business Model: Back and forth! Up and down! Down and up, forth and back! Backtrack and sidetrack! Side-step and Two-Step! THIS way and THAT way! THAT way and THIS way! Our way or the HIGHWAY! How HIGH are we?

Does anyone else get the feeling you have entered the Twilight Zone whenever eBay is discussed?

by: JustonceOnline

Sat Jul 12 02:23:23 2008

My best guess would be that some of the "biggies" have let eBay know they have been talking to their lawyers.

by: o.c.d.collectibles

Sat Jul 12 12:03:44 2008

It's too bad they didn't offer 4 weeks to the MY-EBAY-BETA forced testing group the same consideration.
Maybe none of the forced testers are power sellers? There are over 1900 posts in thr discussion forum titled MY EBAY and the first pinned topic is a "feedback thread" for CERIL which is not being noticed by anyone.
The folks there did not have 4 weeks to prepare to lose all of their business due to this test without the ability to opt out of it.
Talk about fair! take a look! They are planning round 4 for another group of sellers, and they won't be warned, it will just show up when they log on, and it will look and act entirely different than the "MY EBAY classic" that not too many folks complained about.

The links issue is an easy one, as well as the fakes being sold, in comparison to what is being done to this select group of sellers..

by: cashmachine

Sun Jul 13 15:16:47 2008

The links policy was a major concern to me as I use links to educate buyers about what I am selling.  I hope they use common sense with the rework of the Links policy.

by: cch

Sun Jul 13 18:32:16 2008

eBay isn't the only place with links paranoia.  it's just good netiquette to provide a link for people who take the time to comment.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Sun Jul 13 18:49:16 2008

In addition to sheer incompetence and chronic, error plagued decision making, consider the possibility that announcing the abolition of virtually all links is another one of ebay's "disruptive innovations."

They con most sellers into removing their links now (especially those that just might lead to an e-commerce website) or at least to begin the process now, and then they're hoping few will take the time to again make so many revisions.

When ebay speaks of "disruptive innovations," they're really talking about "disrupting" if not altogether destroying YOUR ebay business.

EBAY LIES.

Ebay: the world's most despicable corporation.

by: Lyn

Tue Jul 15 01:57:32 2008

"Ebay: the world's most despicable corporation."

Well, I'm sure that in the big picture Wal-Mart is more despicable (being the primary vehicle for building up the economy of China at the expense of the economy of the United States), but eBay has certainly destroyed the livelihoods and supplemental incomes of perhaps millions of sellers around the world, replacing them with Chinese sellers of substandard and knock-off goods. Wal-Mart and eBay have one goal in common: monopolize their respective niches in any egregious ways they can, in order to make money for the greedhead executives and stockholders.

JMHO

by: Idris

Tue Jul 15 05:36:51 2008

First I've heard of this, of course I stopped listening to ebay long ago. I closed my store last month and am phasing them out permanently. Enough is enough. They want to use the Overstock model just do it, stop pulling this garbage simply to drive off everyone and give yourselves an excuse for going to the Overstock model. Spineless.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Tue Jul 15 06:16:39 2008

@Lyn

One factor that differentiates ebay and WalMart is that WalMart isn't pretending to be something that it's not.

WalMart is comparatively up front concerning its practices and objectives at least most of the time whereas ebay persists in pretending to be something that it has never been. M

Much to my warped sense of satisfaction, ebay is currently wallowing waist high in its own excrement as a result of their duplicity and deceit.

I hope the pile gets even higher.

This user has validated their user name. by: Al G

Tue Jul 15 08:34:37 2008

Nice Led Zeppelin theme: Communications Breakdown and Dazed and Confused....

Yeah - now I gotta put Humpty Dumpty back together again until one of the overpaid Harvard MBA's get another idea.

PS - the stock isn't going anywhere fast, last year it was arount 34, today it is about 28. So stockholders aren't benefiting - its just the ridiculous upper management salaries that fuel their importance.

by: Ebay Seller

Tue Jul 15 09:22:12 2008

OMG.  IS THIS TRUE?

I was just now visiting Youtube and happened upon a video regarding Ebay and what it's Really trying to accomplish...

by: Cynthia

Tue Jul 15 10:13:37 2008

I received 2 emails the other day. One said they were putting the links policy on hold and the other saying they were taking my three listings off due to the new links policy. Wanna know what the link was to? IT WAS TO A SITE EXPLAINING ABOUT ALL THE NEW POLICIES!! Oh well!

by: miss understanding

Tue Jul 15 10:39:33 2008

Ebay has lost its grip on things.  They are so desperate to turn their business model around, they are making changes too fast to be effective. It appears they are no longer in control anymore.  I've bailed on ebay, and only have about 10 % of my stock still on the site.  It was the best thing I ever did.  I just wish I did it a lot sooner.  Goodbye to the sinking ebay ship.  Keep going forward with your changes and with each change you dig another shovel of dirt out of your grave.  What a bunch of bozos.

by: disgusted

Tue Jul 15 10:57:42 2008

I'm just disgusted by the entire thing.  We pulled up the roots we had established on ebay beginning in 1998, and now no longer sell on ebay.  Our sales were abysmal.  We spent so much time on nickel and dime customers it wasn't worth it anymore.  In return for leaving ebay, I have re-gained about 50+ hours a week that can be re-invested in better opportunities on the amazon and etsy marketplaces.  There are other venues out there.  Don't think that ebay is the only gorilla in the room anymore,  There are lots of ways to make money on the internet.