Wed July 9 2008 09:02:13

eBay Seller Suspended for Posting Neg in Positive Feedback

A PowerSeller said his account was suspended for leaving buyers negative comments in his positive feedback ratings for the buyers. Now that sellers are unable to leave negative (or neutral) feedback ratings, some have been leaving positive ratings for their buyers but using the comment field to describe a negative experience.

Sellers may be surprised to hear that such activity could result in suspension rather than simple feedback removal. eBay does prohibit "Negative statements that conflict with a positive rating," but includes it under "Circumstances when eBay will consider removing Feedback ratings and/or comments."

Leaving negative statements that conflict with a positive rating does not seem to fall under the criteria of "undermining the Feedback system" by using practices such as Feedback Extortion Feedback Manipulation Feedback in Seller Terms and Conditions, all of which could result in account suspension.

The seller who wrote to me said he had twice left a negative comment in a positive feedback rating (one was a deadbeat), and he believes he is under a 72 hour suspension, but believes all of his listings are "gone for good."

eBay Seller Suspended for Posting Neg in Positive Feedback   eBay Seller Suspended for Posting Neg in Positive Feedback

by: gcarr

Wed Jul 9 09:44:53 2008

Here is the actual message you get when you attempt to sign in after beibg suspended for leaving NEG to buyer in the POS comment section:
Dear (SELLERS NAME AND EMAIL)
We regret to inform you that your eBay account has been suspended due to the violation of our site policy below:

* Site Interference - Feedback Abuse

An activity that interferes with any of eBay's operations. In this case, manipulating the transaction process by entering into one or more transactions without the intention of following through with the transaction(s) and with the intent of leaving feedback as part of a campaign to harass the other member(s) involved.

Due to the suspension of this account, please be advised you are prohibited from using eBay in any way including registering a new account.

Please note that any seller fees due to eBay will immediately become due and payable. eBay will charge any amounts you have not previously disputed to the billing method currently on file.

Regards,

Investigations Department
eBay AG

by: bonni

Wed Jul 9 09:49:41 2008

All I can do is shake my head. EBay really do want to lose all of their sellers, don't they?

by: gcarr

Wed Jul 9 10:04:20 2008

I dont really mind a 3 day break but:
All of my 250+ listings are gone for good.
My paid for sales not using PP are now hard to process.
My PS rep is to chicken to come to phone.
This all started because a buyer of $500 item sent check that bounced. My bank uses a service that monitors account and when sufficient funds are present, resubmits (very cool!) They get $25 from check writers account for their efforts. To comply with my bank, this policy is posted in my checkout/ payment method policy.
This item went into my slow ship file along with other questionables. (I admit, after it taking 5 weeks to get good payment, I held shipment for a little longer than normal. WTF, it caused me plenty of grief!)

Of course this got me a NEG from buyer with no (eBay) way to state my case.

SELLERS BEWARE! Leaving NEG comments in buyers POS rating will get you booted and you comment to buyer will be removed!

by: BehindThePinkCurtain

Wed Jul 9 10:15:45 2008

If they are looking to get rid of bad sellers, maybe they should start with Lorrie Norrington?
Does everyone recall that story about the shoes from ebay live 2008?
(Where she failed to use the ebay employee disclosure link, as per policy, and also apparently lied about how she acquired the shoes?)
There is a very entertaining video on youtube about that, and her feedback, both given and received tell another story.

by: Negative/positives

Wed Jul 9 10:19:43 2008

I see them removing these neg/positives all the time, even for buyers who don't pay. What is ebay thinking? If they can remove these so easily then why can they remove a negative or neutral that a buyer left accidently, that says "good transaction"? These things that are true mistakes, can't even be fixed. This is very one sided!

They suspended me from the message board for NOTHING. Poeple are reporting stuff that has nothing to do with violating the policy and live world moderators and doing it and suspending us.
BEWARE do say any truths about ebay on the message board or they will boot you. There was an article, where ebay said it does not remove threads and if they did, it was an accident. I DON'T THINK SO!

by: tj

Wed Jul 9 10:23:18 2008

Why any seller is giving any FB is beyond me?
The system is broke & now totally unfair so why Participate..it make eBay feel they are justified

by: bite me

Wed Jul 9 11:04:33 2008

@ tj

by: dimes

Wed Jul 9 11:16:36 2008

There's power in numbers.

If a large group of eBay sellers uniformly stop leaving feedback, the system would soon buckle under the weight of actions like 'bite me' 's negs.

The last thing eBay wants to see is a flood of negs hitting the site.

Not that it cares about sellers, but it doesn't make for a reassuring buyer experience when feedback levels start to plummet across the board.  That's the kind of thing that sends you off to the comparative safety of places like amazon.

by: angryjim

Wed Jul 9 11:51:32 2008

excellent commentary on eBay's censorship of dissenting views:

by: Bill Northington

Wed Jul 9 12:31:24 2008

I agree - why leave any feedback at all? It is now a totally lopsided and useless system. I also agree that if eBay wanted to grow and sustain their profits, the first thing they need to do is fire Lorrie Norrington and Donahoe. Not much of a future for "feeBay" with this "leadership".

by: Patricia

Wed Jul 9 12:45:41 2008

I have no patience with stupidity - never did have.  So, things like this just make me pursue other venues even more.  I am almost totally off ebay - so are most other sellers I know - either reduced listings or completely stopped listing there.  I have no idea what is the goal of this totally insane company....and I'm really tired of even wasting the energy on them.  They are NOT worth it.

www.ACEOart.net

by: rts

Wed Jul 9 13:19:39 2008

@Bite me:

''They leave FB because if I don't get any as a buyer I leave them a neg and 1/5 DSRs. I've done this 6 times already. ha''

You're an A-hole. No other way to say it.

What the hell difference does it make if a seller wants to leave feedback or not?

It's idiots like you that just make a bad situation worse.

But then, it's already been determined you're an eBay employee who is just ''pushing buttons'' to get a reaction, so I'm not surprised by the comment.

by: blueline

Wed Jul 9 13:48:55 2008

sellers need to come up with a FB comment that is OK by the rules, but known to be read as ''neg'' without actually saying it.  How about a pos w/a blank comment - like the old saying goes, if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all??  Just a thought...

by: laura

Wed Jul 9 14:07:40 2008

@blueline

Right ...or instead of leaving it blank actually say " like the saying goes, if you can't say anything nice ....."

by: dimes

Wed Jul 9 14:19:06 2008

Maybe a one-liner, like "Obligatory good feedback", would do the trick.

by: Ted

Wed Jul 9 14:34:26 2008

''How about a pos w/a blank comment''
''like the saying goes, if you can't say anything nice .....''
''Obligatory good feedback''

Did everyone forget this is eBay you're dealing with? They would get wind of this, and start suspending people if they knew ''coded messages'' were being used.

Face it, you're screwed. It's ONE SIDED, no way around it.

by: Matt

Wed Jul 9 14:37:26 2008

This is really sad, although I can't say that I am surprised.  Similar to the destructive cycle of having to lie to cover up lies, eBay is continuing a destructive spiral that happens when decisions are completely reactionary.  So what we are seeing is more knee-jerk reactions, one after another, to attempt to deal with the damage done by their earlier bad decisions.  Another type of example of these reactionary movements would be the many promotions.  eBay can't seem to kick out promotions and "sales" fast enough.  This is a sign of pure desperation.

by: eBuyer Feedback

Wed Jul 9 14:53:28 2008

It is sad that it has come to this but next time leave the feedback with me instead.

by: Just a Seller

Wed Jul 9 14:55:40 2008

@Ted: I couldn't agree more! for better or worse (worse in this case) - this is how things work now on ebay.

@Matt: Your observation is accurate. Ebay keeps on abusing us sellers to cover up the flaws in the system.

And for all who boycott: I had never participated on the boycott because I built a business based on the assumption ebay is THE place - and unfortunately it is.
These days I had been given a supply of home made "Stuff" from the manufacturer. So although not boycotting ebay, this time I am going to build it differently. I opened up an account on etsy.com and started listing. NO WAY this "stuff" is going to get near ebay.
I am not going to repeat the same mistake twice!!!

by: dimes

Wed Jul 9 14:58:41 2008

I don't think the current management at eBay fully recognized how damaging such a profound change to the feedback system would be to the company.

eBay's structure has always had two signature systems that users relied upon: feedback and the search engine.

Current management has degraded both to the point that eBay is unrecognizable from the site its customers know.

Disruptive, yes.  Innovative, oh hell no.

The farther away eBay evolves from the site that made it what it is, the faster the users who made it are abandoning it.

1 2 3 4 5 6  [Next Page]