Mon June 30 2008 11:08:49

eBay's Embarrassing Voicemail Message on YouTube

Embarrassing is an understated way to describe a message from eBay left on one reporter's answering machine. In the June 30 issue of Antique Week, Don Johnson wrote about a message eBay left him. He posted the message on YouTube, take a listen.

I had received an email from a friend on June 26 about another call, I thought it was a scam, but now I'm wondering:

Today when I returned from town there was a message on my answering service from eBay. The person could hardly speak English. The words I did understand were "I'm calling (name removed) from eBay." lots of gobledegook and then "eBay will begin to focus only on luxury goods"....more gobledegood and a phone number that could not be understood.....

eBay's Embarrassing Voicemail Message on YouTube   eBay's Embarrassing Voicemail Message on YouTube

by: angryjim

Mon Jun 30 11:36:00 2008

Stephanie must be a graduate of the Elmer Fudd School of Elocution.

by: Stefan

Mon Jun 30 13:07:28 2008

What is Lorrie Norrington doing making marketing calls?

by: RichardC

Mon Jun 30 13:17:18 2008

Obviously the CSR was untrained and totally unfamiliar with the script. I am sure after the YouTube video was posted, as well as this article- additional interoffice memos are going around San Jose this morning.

by: Pat

Mon Jun 30 13:26:41 2008

Pretty funny!!! It sounds like it was explained to this telmarketer about as well as eBay explains their changes to the rest of the communty. Ina!!! Where do you find this stuff?!?

Patrice

by: angryjim

Mon Jun 30 13:43:24 2008

"What is Lorrie Norrington doing making marketing calls?"

Funny, I thought maybe that was Griff on the line.

by: meme

Mon Jun 30 13:46:31 2008

@ RichardC------NOPE---don't think so--they are looking for their equals--the person that hired her probably got 5 Star rating....

How demeaning calling a seller who  gives their time, energy, money and hopes and get a call from Headquarters that is pathetically incorrect.  It is just another ploy to chase small sellers away....

by: JC

Mon Jun 30 13:47:32 2008

by: David

Mon Jun 30 14:04:50 2008

I'm sure the Jim Ambach's and the Brian Burke's get nice six figure salaries.

Yet they pay people $8 an hour to work for Trust & Safety and it shows.

The reason eBay is plagued with counterfeit listings is because they aren't willing to pay intelligent people.

They are so concerned with getting rid of "bad sellers" that give sloppy shipping yet they turn their backs toward counterfits.

Here is another story, a few years ago my second account which I hadn't used in years was supposedly reported for having "incorrect contact information". Dumbasses, if my contact information is false, wouldn't my phone being disconnected. Anyways I told them that there was no need to call me because my contact information was correct.

I proceeded to get phone calls once a week for months about updating my contact information.

A few years ago I got an email from ended@ebay.com saying they canceled one of my listings. Yet the listing was never taken down! That same year I got another email from ended@ebay.com saying they canceled my listing, only they sent me a bunch of HTML.

by: Gary Overton

Mon Jun 30 15:15:14 2008

I have received several of these that I had difficulty understanding. You know reading is fast becoming a lost art. :>)

by: Rachel

Mon Jun 30 15:48:11 2008

Quoted above"In this girl's defense, would anyone outside of eBay know what the hell all those terms mean, like DSRs, Best Match, Products Ending Soonest, Search Results based on Relevance...

She was reading from a script, and from the sound of it, it didn't make any sense to her than they do to me. "

There IS NO DEFENSE for her, come on! If she can't read, she shouldn't be a telemarketer. If she was doing her job properly, she should have "rehearsed" this first to herself. What a dumba$$. Pretty much sums of the direction of eBay.

by: Dan

Mon Jun 30 16:00:33 2008

Ina, I agree eBay has been making some mistakes and the press has been effectively pointing them out. But I would characterize the telephone calls from eBay overall as helpful as opposed to embarrassing.  It should be put into context that eBay has historically not made telephone calls...if the new leadership believes in communicating with the public via telephone, I see that as positive.

Yes, they can train their employees better but I have to assume the caller got smoother the more calls she made.  I received a similiar telephone message on the machine with better delivery.

I personally think eBay should be promoting their new Paypal 100% global-guarantee.  The DSR changes are old news.

by: Former ebayer

Mon Jun 30 19:30:26 2008

I actually got through to the office of the president (ebays) I was nice as could be. When I brought up the feedback message board, they hung up on me??????

by: JP

Mon Jun 30 21:47:58 2008

Woah.  eBay should automatically raise that sellers search standings just for having to listen to that crap.
Sell that machine on eBay with the message once it gets more youtube ratings.  Somebody will bid it up...

by: Keith

Tue Jul 1 08:08:35 2008

The CALL CENTER that was contracted by eBay did not train the operators correctly.  YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR... AND EBAY DIDN'T PAY MUCH FOR THIS SERVICE, trust me...

by: Lisa B.

Tue Jul 1 17:30:26 2008

Ina-I got a message today from an Ebay rep who said in essence 'Ebay would be putting listing restrictions on certain luxury items."

I'm wondering if the second message you mentioned was supposed to say that, but maybe was too garbled to understand. That would make more sense.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Tue Jul 1 18:34:59 2008

@Former ebayer

How dare you, a mere lowly former ebay member, have the audacity to call His Highness, The Donna Ho?

You are merely unwanted noise in their otherwise quiet, ethereal environment in which all is well. It is another example of their corporate culture in which their customers are bothersome means to an end.

Put some some adults in charge, Ebay Board!
Ebay: the world's most depicable corporation.

by: still confused

Wed Jul 2 00:56:52 2008

Dan says:But I would characterize the telephone calls from eBay overall as helpful.

I would characterize members being able to call eBay helpful.

by: New Marketing

Wed Jul 2 10:29:54 2008

Ebay is leading the way to "new marketing" in the world.  Basically it is:

"take it or leave it... our way or the information highway... we don't respond because we don't have to... Online- is out of sight... screw you, you're just a number, and finally... a new sucker born every minute - and there's a never ending supply of them"

Seriously, no brick and mortar business could survive if they treated their customers the way ebay does.

It's a new era in online business.  I guess we might as well just get used to it.  Call it the Meg Whitman theory of Customer Relations Management: Screw The Masses, Cash Your Bonus Check, Sell Your Stock and Run.

by: Peter Leeflang/CEO of Leeflang Archives Corporatio

Wed Jul 2 12:02:20 2008

We got that unprofessional Ebay voicemail as well.

I guess, the fess we pay are not sufficient anymore to hire people with English skills and brains.

by: horsemama

Wed Jul 2 13:18:51 2008

It just gets more surreal every day, doesn't it.

Am I the only one who feels like we've been on a huge, five-month-long episode of "Candid Camera"?

Come on, Alan Funt, come out now and tell us it was all a joke.

NO company could possibly be quite THIS stupid.

Could it?