Fri June 20 2008 09:53:17

eBay Live Attendee Profiles

By: Greg Holden

If you have been to eBay Live, you've seen people walking around with long "tails" attached to their name badges. The tails consist of ribbons that eBay hands out with phrases like "First year at eBay Live!", "100% Positive Feedback," and "I bid therefore I am." I stopped a couple who were sporting some particularly long tails. Dave Diaz and Char Williams sell on eBay through the Wooden Indian pawn shop in Ohio. "We sell everything from vehicles to Barbie dolls," Char said. "The best thing you get out of eBay live is the people," said Char. "It's also fun because you get to see all the vendors and learn about tools. I just found out about Auctiva, for instance." I asked if they were concerned about the feedback system in which buyers can leave negative comments for them. "It's a concern, but it isn't a problem yet," she added.

------------

Stew Gibb, who hails from Winnepeg, Canada, came to eBay Live for the warmer weather (something you don't usually think about in connection with Chicago) and to take a break from 16-hour days selling used car parts on the auction site. "I want to be refreshed," he says. "Doing eBay at home, I am pretty much alone. There are 10000 of my closest friends here. We finish each other's sentences. This is rejuvenation for me. And it'll give me a push to go back and work harder." Stew was looking forward to a Canadian breakfast eBay was hosting for those north of the border, to be held later.

Greg Holden, who lives in Chicago, is an online business consultant and the author of eight books about eBay, including "How to Do Everything with Your eBay Business," second edition, and "Secrets of the eBay Millionaires," both published by Osborne-McGraw Hill. Find out more on Greg's Web site and blog, http://www.gregholden.com.

by: tj

Fri Jun 20 11:29:50 2008

just found out about Auctiva..where do they live >??????

Sounds like a lot of sad (no lives) people there

by: DisgruntledPowerSeller

Fri Jun 20 12:39:58 2008

I wanted to thank you Greg, for potting these comment boxes on your blogs/articles. You give the reader a chance to comment. Now Ina, on the other hand, who was doing great to begin with, has now switched over. We were wondering how much ebay is pying her, to keep quiet. She knows we're upset and now she is posting things about the change is GOOD and not giving us ANY room to comment.

We're ashamed of you Ina!

by: DisgruntledPowerSeller

Fri Jun 20 12:41:15 2008

potting=posting
sorry

by: Kal

Fri Jun 20 13:15:27 2008

Rah! Rah! eBay!
Rah! Rah! eBay!
Sis Boom Bah!
Rah! Rah! Rah!
eBay Cheerleaders, eBay Cheerleaders!
Rah! Rah! Rah!

BAAH!

by: Elizabeth

Fri Jun 20 14:08:07 2008

Ina is doing a good job, as always!

When she is reporting news or doing an interview it is news. News reporting is supposed to be neutral. Editorials and Blogs can be slanted. She has not gone to the dark side, she is being a responsible reporter. If you want to see where see stands read the editorial and blog areas. Allow her the integrity of the news profession in the news sections please.

by: steve

Fri Jun 20 15:39:47 2008

Has anyone seen Donahoe rubbing elbows with these "we're not in Kansas anymore" attendees?

I highly doubt it.

by: tula

Fri Jun 20 16:26:07 2008

@Ina:  Thanks for all the great updates and quick posting of news.  You're doing a great job and most of us appreciate that.

by: Lisa

Fri Jun 20 18:26:30 2008

As far as I'm concerned Ina is the best in this market. She's a true professional and is not afraid to ask the tough questions.

by: Ralph

Sat Jun 21 01:40:07 2008

I hope AuctionBytes will report on more Canadian news coming from Ebay Live, not just a blurb about the breakfast.

I'm betting we are half your readers, but we only get 1% of the news that effects us.

by: dimes

Sat Jun 21 14:10:10 2008

How to lie with statistics:

eBay says:
''In the US, a buyer is 80 percent more likely to file a dispute than when they pay with electonic methods, such as a credit card. ''

What eBay doesn't say:
People who use credit cards don't file disputes, they go to their credit card companies and file chargebacks.

by: dimes

Sat Jun 21 14:11:09 2008

Ugh.  Posted to the wrong blog entry.

by: DisgruntledPowerSeller

Sun Jun 29 11:01:03 2008

Quoting TULA "Brava Elizabeth!  I think DisgruntledPowerSeller is one of those conspiracy nuts who thinks that anyone who posts anything non-negative (in this case, neutral does not equal negative :-) about eBay is on eBay's payroll.

@DisgruntledPowerSeller:  go hang out with Ming.  You guys can swap tinfoil hats and plot your overthrow of eBay."

For your info TULA, I am a raised search powerseller AND ebays new 12 month rule wiped away my only negative in 6 years, which was from a non paying bidder. So, these changes (12 mnth rule and best match) are actually GREAT for me. So, don't go trying to spin it. I am one my crusade, because their policies are WRONG and I know they will affect my score, which is why I'm not selling.

I think Ina is doing a great job as well. Showing both sides is what a reporter does, but when there are LIES in the blog and we have no say to report or bring out the truth, doesn't seem fair, to me. Others who read the blog, think it's TRUE and we should have a right, to show our reasons why they are lies.

CONSPIRACY: agreement between persons to break the law in the future.

NO, I DON'T CALL IT CONSPIRACY, BECAUSE THEY ARE BREAKING THE LAW NOW, INSTEAD OF IN THE FUTURE!