Thu June 19 2008 20:00:01

More eBay Changes Yet to Be Announced

An interview with Stephanie Tilenius and Jamie Iannone at eBay Live today revealed a few tidbits of news. First, there will be a fee announcement by the holidays; Stephanie said eBay wants to be the most price competitive marketplace on the web. I got the sense this will be good for smaller sellers, but no further information was forthcoming.

The seller protection rolled out today is for all sellers, not just PowerSellers, Stephanie said. (Expanded Seller Protection had applied to PowerSellers only.) This had been announced, but in the clump of news that came out this morning, it could easily get lost, so, from the press release:

PayPal's improved seller protection covers sellers against claims, chargebacks and reversals due to an unauthorized payment or an item that was not received. Under this improved protection, sellers can now ship to buyers in 190 markets worldwide where PayPal is accepted and still be eligible for protection. PayPal's seller protection is provided without any additional cost, and beginning later this year, PayPal will remove the annual coverage cap. PayPal’s increased buyer and seller protections will take effect this Fall.

And, Stephanie said eBay Live attendees should come to the Friday morning session on Feedback - as far as Mutual Feedback Withdrawal, it appears it's back on the table, and eBay wants to hear feedback from attendees. I did not take it to mean we should assume eBay is planning to reinstitute MFW, but perhaps a recognition from eBay that sellers need incentives to make things right with buyers even after receiving a negative.

I'll be writing up a Newsflash article for tomorrow with more details about the interview, but wanted to get these items out as quickly as possible.

by: Patricia

Thu Jun 19 21:38:35 2008

Ina - thanks so much for clearing that up about the new paypal protection for ALL sellers. :-)  At last perhaps something we small sellers can look forward to?  That is...if we're not all gone by the time they come out with this tiny bone for us.  ;-)

www.ACEOart.net

by: tj

Thu Jun 19 21:51:29 2008

First, there will be a fee announcement by the holidays????

PLEASE NOT ANOTHER DECREASE !!!!!

I can't afford it

by: Kal

Thu Jun 19 21:57:15 2008

"Stephanie said eBay wants to be the most price competitive marketplace on the web."

That means raise prices, right?

That seems to be eBay's idea of "competitive".

by: tenpointbuck56

Thu Jun 19 22:38:40 2008

The new seller protection is a bunch of bull I am a powerseller. And have gotten credit card chargebacks and paypal still put a hold on my funds disputes even when buyer is lieing and it is proven paypal still takes your money and refunds them to. Seller protection my ---

by: Chris

Thu Jun 19 22:56:43 2008

Yeah right - You get overseas protection only if you ship Express Priority. I have had to deal with Paypal twice within the past year and it was nearly impossible getting money back that was rightfully mine. Paypal can say whatever they want but in the long run it's their actions that matter.

by: Ken

Thu Jun 19 23:00:02 2008

Sounds like good news on the PayPal front for small sellers.
Personally I think Mutual Feedback I believe withdrawal WILL be brought back. Now that sellers can't retaliate and neg/neutral buyers, the downside to withdrawal has already been removed.

More eBay Changes Yet to Be Announced   More eBay Changes Yet to Be Announced

This user has validated their user name. by: Bob

Thu Jun 19 23:07:17 2008

EBay is like the oil companies.. sticking it to the consumers quoting higher prices..
The sellers are leaving, going to sites such as www.concerneduser.proboards105.com
to learn of alternative venues.
There is absolutely NO user verification on eBay and they don't give a rat's patootie..
They just want their money..
Rip off sellers, discard them, promote the scum who sell enough to keep ratings up..
There will come a time where their fertilizer rolls uphill and the Board will have to act..
I predict a whole new "management team" within 12 months..
Time will tell just as how they "manage" the site..
In the meantime, check out www.concerneduser.proboards105.com..
Not gonna get 12 pink slaps here for mentioning it!

by: Henrietta

Fri Jun 20 00:53:38 2008

You GO Bob!
Hey Kal, good to see you I was worried, thought you sunk.

You guys are SO SILLY! Its an adjustment, think the new Hanes wedgie pantie ad.

... and Baghdad Bob Lieberman will keep a running rah rah commentary splaining it to us un-ejimakated dummies.

by: sun

Fri Jun 20 02:47:00 2008

If you encourage buyers to leave negative feedback for sellers, then you need a financial incentive for sellers to help out buyers. Why is it taking six months or more for eBay to reduce listing fees after feedback changes? I am receiving more negative feedback because my profit margins do not allow me to accommodate eBay buyers. The reason is that eBay takes so much in fees, I'm left with very little. If I raise retail prices, I price myself out of the eBay marketplace. Only solution is for eBay take a smaller cut... Six months is ridiculous. Make it now!

by: bonni

Fri Jun 20 07:17:58 2008

Well, it SOUNDS like some sort of vaguely good news, but you know it isn't. Not with eBay. This is the company that increased fees by up to 200% and claimed it was 6%, and who said that they were decreasing fees except that it was actually an increase, and their idea of seller protection is to make all sellers vulnerable to feedback extortion. So they can say whatever they want, you KNOW it doesn't mean what they want you to think it means. Anyone who takes eBay announcements at face value is a fool. Ebay NEVER say what they mean or mean what they say.

by: poor eBay

Fri Jun 20 07:44:36 2008

Donna Ho tests new ear plugs at eBay live...

Before walking on stage at eBay live Donna Ho was wearing a new set of ear plugs.  These ear plugs are state of the art and guarantee the user will not hear a thing.  When asked by a seller why he changed the feedback policy he did not reply...  He also was wearing the latest  bullet proof jacket.  It was also noted that none of these items were purchased on eBay...

More eBay Changes Yet to Be Announced   More eBay Changes Yet to Be Announced

This user has validated their user name. by: Bill

Fri Jun 20 07:53:38 2008

As a small seller of A&C items on ebay, I welcome seller protection from Paypal. So far this has not been the case, but it looks as if they realize there is a problem.
As for MFW, it is too bad that ebay's execs, didn't realize how much damage, thier policy change could do to the community in the first place.  Again they only want to discuss the return of MFW. Unfortunately, ebay as of late, has been long on talk, but short on action. I have proxied my shares, and given a letter to an attendee, in hopes it will be entered on the record.

by: KK

Fri Jun 20 08:01:22 2008

Every time I see something about ebay's data "showing positive results for sellers" I call my account rep at ebay.  Funny how we always seem to be the exception to their data.  Their fee "decrease" a few months ago is costing us more money.  They just announced that the new feedback changes have not led to an increase in unpaid (what about slow pay?) items.  I just complained to our rep the other day that since the changes that our unpaid items are up about 40% and payments in general are coming in much more slowly!  I don't believe them for a second.  When you get to make up your own data you can say anything.  The bigges laugher is the nuetrals counting as negs, which ebay claims it doesn't.  I asked my account rep to explain why it's not a negative if it affects my feedback score negatively....(crickets chirping).  Got some hemming an hawing and then a "well, I can see how you could view it that way".  Can someone suggest the next best auction venue?  Love to hear your thoughts!

by: steve

Fri Jun 20 08:29:21 2008

"UPI rates have not gone up."

This may be the biggest lie they've told yet.

I myself am scrambling to find another site, if not my own website to sell on.

I have had it with being micro-managed.  I am also tired of never knowing what is next. Change, change and more change....these guys at the management level obviously have to justify their existence by trying to "outchange" one another. And they are always trying to squeeze another nickle out of the sellers.

This so called "buyer experience" has totally been at the expense of the seller.  It certainly isn't eBay who loses when a buyer scams a seller.

by: bite me

Fri Jun 20 08:32:34 2008

@ tenpointbuck56

it's not lieing its lying.

Anyways, I'm glad they are pricing pro sellers out of this business. Pros are a major reason why ebay now stinks. My profit margins aren't big enough :( Cry me a river.

by: Steve

Fri Jun 20 08:41:45 2008

..."there will be a fee announcement by the holidays"

Is that the fee announcement where Ebay says fees are going down but they actually put them up?......well for the smaller sellers anyway.......

Just one more reason to stay with Ebay,....lmao

by: E-bay Seller & Buyer

Fri Jun 20 10:26:35 2008

If people think there telling you anything new,just drink another cup of coffee. There PR spin is in high gear again.Change the feedback system back the way it use to be and be done with it.That's the big issue with the majority of e-bay sellers, AND AGAIN. E-bay Sellers are also buyer too.Can't they get it.

by: Lynn D

Fri Jun 20 10:33:26 2008

Well read the articles this morning not just this one about changes, lack of changes, figures that ebay proclaims that 70 percent of the powersellers are getting discounts etc...Oh and my personal favorite that most are getting 5's in their dsr's!

Hmmm Just more spin as usual! They don't show anything that proves their statistics so people can believe what they are saying. They are going to make deals for diamond Powersellers (new) like they did for buy.com and yet they claim they want to keep small sellers! Please unless they offer discounts for them also, how once again I ask is this a level playing field??

Read about the q&a session on feedback issues and again no clear answers...We are working on that, we would like to change that...When you try to pin them down it is basically what we have been told since January like or lump it!

Most of the articles I have seen coming out of Ebay live still show no substance or real issues.

Sorry Ina it is just coming across as Rah Rah Ebay!

by: angryjim

Fri Jun 20 11:27:03 2008

eBay really does not care about the long term welfare of its paying customers (the sellers) or the buyers that shop on its venue.  eBay is soley concerned with what benefits itself and nothing else - it does not appear to be really interested in what the long term consequences are to site users or shareholders.  This is a company that rents out its name on slot machines.  I think that says volumes about the mindset of eBay's upper management.

by: buster

Fri Jun 20 12:02:03 2008

of course they dont care. they dont have to care. theres more sellers coming up right behind you-- but right now theyre called buyers and they wont know the good old days. They'll just march in line. Dont you realise? you CAN and WILL be replaced. You probably already have.

and whats up with the "concerned user" boards above? i tried to sign up and after attempts was told that a admin had to review my membership... like a shadowy cabal...

1 2 3  [Next Page]