Thu June 19 2008 13:22:26

New Diamond PowerSeller Tier Announced

By: Greg Holden

Here is a quick core dump of what was covered at an 11am press conference held for bloggers:

1. There will be a new Diamond PowerSeller tier. It will be for sellers who sell $500,000 a month worth of stuff, and who have a minimum of 4.8 DSR across the board. "It's for those sellers who are consistently delivering outstanding goods and services to our buyers," said Dinesh Lathi of eBay.

2. The new 20 percent seller discount tier will be in addition to the current 5 percent and 15 percent discount tiers, not replacing it. So there are three tiers: 5% if you have a 4.6 DSR, 15% for 4.8, and 20% for 4.9. eBay is not sure yet whether the 4.9 rating has to be an average DSR (rounded up from 4.89, for instance) or a "hard" 4.9. They are supposed to look into this.

3. The third party checkout program used by many big companies like Infopia will be phased out gradually, beginning in the next couple of months, and the goal is to have everyone phased out by second quarter of 2009.

4. The new buyer protection program announced today is U.S. only. No plans as yet to bring it to other countries.

We'll fill in more details as we get them.

Update:

Greg Holden, who lives in Chicago, is an online business consultant and the author of eight books about eBay, including "How to Do Everything with Your eBay Business," second edition, and "Secrets of the eBay Millionaires," both published by Osborne-McGraw Hill. Find out more on Greg's Web site and blog, http://www.gregholden.com.

by: Laura

Thu Jun 19 13:46:04 2008

I totally understand giving a break to those sellers who sell "500,000 a month", or 6 million a year.

And I thought DSR rating of 4.8 was a lofty goal. lol

by: Chris Gallucci

Thu Jun 19 14:42:04 2008

Let me guess who the first Diamond PS will be...(drum roll)...BUY.com!

by: The Graduate

Thu Jun 19 14:48:51 2008

''It's for those sellers who are consistently delivering outstanding goods and services to our buyers,''

The last time I checked, providing goods and services to someone made them MY buyer, not eBay's.

It doesn't matter where on the Internet I happened to have met them.  The fact remains that I am the one providing the service.
My goods
My service
My risk for loss

My buyer

by: Harley

Thu Jun 19 15:09:57 2008

It's obvious that the Dum Basses at ebay don't know that diamond is not a metal. Doh... It should logically be Rhodium or Renhium as the next level. They should also introduce the Lead level for all the sellers they booty hunched.

by: Sun

Thu Jun 19 15:11:49 2008

> My buyer

Wake up! eBay buyers are not your customers. They are your buyers if you have your own web store.

This new discount and PowerSeller tier will be for the very few I think. If anyone can attain them, more power to you. The odds are against you.

by: john

Thu Jun 19 16:38:52 2008

Yes they are ebay's buyers

Paypal Paypal Paypal

by: Boycott Ebay/Paypal

Thu Jun 19 17:38:17 2008

Translation: We don't really give a rip about small sellers but we didn't expect quite so many to bail so fast. We aren't done USING you yet so here's a bone. Don't choke on it.

by: LLP

Thu Jun 19 19:30:31 2008

"Bay said it values low-volume sellers"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA  HAHAHAHA  HAHAHAHAHA

by: horsemama

Thu Jun 19 20:26:38 2008

"
Update:
5.You must have a min of 10 DSRs to be eligible to be advantaged in Best Match. eBay is lowering it to 3 DSRs. eBay said it values low-volume sellers."

LIARS

by: tj

Fri Jun 20 04:27:42 2008

To be fair who really cares about these mega powerseller levels..99.9% of eBay sellers will never get anywhere near that level.

The problem with eBay is they believe their own PR spin

Delusions of grandeur & that’s all it ever will be from now, they have killed off the core sellers of eBay

by: Nancy

Fri Jun 20 11:49:32 2008

BUY DOES NOT MEET THE CRITERIA FOR DIAMOND POWERSELLER STATUS!

What a crock!  They 'created this new level of PS to push back at those complaining about the sweetheart deal they gave buy.com.

Buy has less than 3% sell through rate on a daily average of half a million listings!

They are not selling $500,000 a month and they surely are not moving 50,000 items a month!

What a pack of rubbish from ebay!

by: The Graduate

Fri Jun 20 14:33:40 2008

''Wake up! eBay buyers are not your customers.''

When they click that ''buy'' button, send me money, and I send them a product, that makes them MY buyer.  The responsibility falls on me, not eBay to keep them happy.
And I do.  Why?  Because they are my buyer, MY customer.

''They are your buyers if you have your own web store.''

Oh, and after we've met on eBay, they do come to my own web store where I continue to offer that same service as I do on eBay (something eBay would like to take credit for, but it's not eBay giving the service, it's me).
Ebay often makes a nice 10-15% introducing me to MY customer.

by: L.R.

Fri Jun 20 16:31:16 2008

You have a better chance here
Do you have a plan B ? How is your finances if something was to happen to you today ~ How would your family be ? Take a look and see if this just might fit.

Bowdy & Lanetta

I.D.# 833315400

If you would like more Information Drop me a line

WWW.NIKKEN.COM/RULIVINGBALANCED

by: Dustin Jones

Wed Nov 26 08:19:56 2008

So many know it alls on this thread.

I am a titanium powerseller and have some top notch tools. Buy has done 7 million $ + in the last 90 days. So around 2 million/month on ebay. Yes they qualify.

Diamond is for people who basically have a easy return policy, a phone number (not your cell phone where you will return a call when you get off work) and offer the variety ebay likes under one roof.

Like I saw someone else on another thread, Watch out for monstercellular :) ...i think we may be next !

Dustin Jones
dustin [at] monster cellular dot net
E-Commerce Operations Director