Thu June 19 2008 12:26:37

eBay Announces Seller Incentives at eBay Live

eBay announced changes to its seller incentive program, and expanded buyer and seller protection programs.

Were these the announcements you were hoping for, and what do you think of them?

eBay Announces Seller Incentives at eBay Live   eBay Announces Seller Incentives at eBay Live

by: auntlollie

Thu Jun 19 12:45:17 2008

I don't care any longer about eBay changes -- I've closed my store and, as soon as eBay honors my "request," my account will go NARU as well.

I've just had enough.

by: David

Thu Jun 19 12:46:45 2008

I can't imagine many powersellers that have 4.9 dsr's across the board.  Sounds like a scam to me.

This user has validated their user name. by: Bob

Thu Jun 19 12:48:12 2008

I think the "thoughts" of this announcement are good.  However, the implementation of PayPal Policies, generally leave a lot to be desired.  For instance, I recently got a Chargeback on a sale to a Buyer, whom I had Delivery Confirmation for, and the Buyer had left a Positive Feedback, so obviously they had received the item and were happy.   However, PayPal took the $228 from me, and even though I was supposed to be covered by Seller Protection, not a penny has been returned to me 4 weeks later.  I provided IMMEDIATELY all relevant infomation, Tracking #, DC confirmation, copy of Feedback, etc.  They acknowledged receipt of all these items 4 weeks ago, and it still says "Paypal will be reviewing" and they are holding my funds!!!!   And I have over 10,000 positive feedbacks on eBay 100%, so I am a good seller with a great reputation.  I cannot get a response from anyone at PayPal, absolutely absurd how they hold funds from Sellers, even in clear-cut cases like mine.  And NOW they want to force more going thru PayPal???  For what, so they can hold a lot of sellers money for their own silly rules???!!!   Why doesn't the Feds get involved, they are operating as a banking service, but with no regulations.  It is WAY past time for eBay/PayPal to get reigned in and federal controls put in place for them, to protect the Sellers money!!!!!

They are monopolistic and their arrogance is really starting to show!!

by: Lisa B.

Thu Jun 19 12:56:22 2008

4.9?? Get real. Just more gagging us with Paypal.

Keep the blogs coming, Ina. Thanks!!

by: ROFLMFAO

Thu Jun 19 12:57:39 2008

When I read this bull crap announcement, I laughed so hard that I spewed coffee all over my keyboard and nearly wet my panties at the same time! Only WEAK thinking and irrational peeps fall for this crap and line of bull! Fortunately, not all of us were born yesterday and are able to see black and white & use basic math skills extremely well. Donna Ho has lost his seller base and is attempting to bait his fishing lines with fat rubber wiggle worms ..... but the fish are smarter than the "baiter" & won't be nibbling on cheap prizes.

by: laura

Thu Jun 19 13:00:08 2008

I will wait for the details. I remember a couple of very recent announcements claiming "reduced fees" and "increasing buyer experience".

I do find it interesting that ebay/paypal will protect 100% of the PURCHASE price. What about shipping? Does this mean less coverage for the buyer or is this a way to manipulate shipping charges? Could manipulate lower shipping charges by having the seller liable for this portion.

And no telling what ebay means by "IMPROVE seller protection for ELIGIBLE transactions" But I am guessing it isn't much of an improvement and will be hard to be eligible.

by: paul

Thu Jun 19 13:12:22 2008

I see nothing here that helps a seller like myself.4.9% must be only for E-books or where no shipping is involved.
FIX the dsr, Fix the one sided feedback, lower fees that's what the bulk of sellers want.Protection on international first class shipping also.

by: Fake_Pierre

Thu Jun 19 13:16:08 2008

Someone needs to ask big P about his statement saying that it would be a disaster to bring in big off eBay sellers.

ying-field-for-buycom

If
the video does not load, keep trying, it's getting LOTS of views.

by: froliky

Thu Jun 19 13:24:32 2008

Buyers usually give all 4's when satisfied and eBay management knows it.  Statistics like these are borne out in Psychology studies.  There is NO assurance there will ever be any real security or improvements on ebay despite their many years long repeated and monotonous song. Paypal routinely refunds payments without proper proof or investigation. I am totally sick of the garbage that comes out of managements mouth. ebay is a disgusting. greedy. parasitic company.  They deserve to be flogged publicly for the damage to our trust, heritage and our economy.

by: tula

Thu Jun 19 13:28:57 2008

You know, if eBay actually follows through with these seller-side protections (and doesn't exempt too many transactions for nitpicky reasons) AND covers ALL sellers and not just powersellers, then I may actually start selling on eBay again.

I haven't sold anything since December because I wanted to see how all these changes would play out.  I haven't been too impressed with the lack of measures to protect smaller sellers, but this announcement gives me some hope that maybe eBay is listening and will make it cost-effective to sell on the platform again.  I'm going to wait for details before going ahead, though.  There have been too many instances of eBay saying one thing and meaning another for me to take this as a good thing until I read all the fine print.

by: AC_in_Mich

Thu Jun 19 13:34:37 2008

16% of powersellers are getting all 4.9's?

Puhhhleeeaaase

maybe 1.6

AC

by: AC_in_Mich

Thu Jun 19 13:35:45 2008

P.S.

Ina!  Like the new pic!

by: Patricia

Thu Jun 19 13:46:19 2008

"Sellers with DSRs of at least 4.9 across all four categories will receive 20 percent off their Final Value Fees, which are the commission eBay charges sellers for sold items. Sixteen percent of PowerSellers immediately qualify for the discount, which will appear on July invoices."

Nobody is specifying - but this applies to powersellers only....right????  I can't imagine ebay coddling anybody beneath powerseller status.  They can't see that far down past their nose - they only see the revenue we generalte!!!!  Sheesh -us small sellers seem to be forgotten even in the media!  Can somebody PLEASE find out if this applies to everyone or only powersellers?

www.ACEOart.net

This user has validated their user name. by: Bob

Thu Jun 19 13:48:15 2008

Why has someone not initiated a Class Action Suit against eBay/PayPal for their forceful policies.

They charge the same percentage fees whether the transaction is initiated by Credit card, E-check, Debit, or PayPal Balance.  This is FRAUD and illegal in most states if not everywhere.  Banks and Credit Card processing companies charge a merchant fee(Percentage) on credit card charges, BUT only a transaction fee of like 35cents for cash only transactions, like PayPal Balance, E-check, etc...  This is illegal!!!

Plus PayPal holding people's money is just insane, and violates a Sellers rights.

They want more business, then treat their sellers right!!!!  Stop taking advantage of the hand that feeds you (the Seller PAYS THE FEES, not the Buyers)

This has to change, or else this ship is going to slowly sink.   Guess what, even attendance at eBay LIVE is WAY WAY down from last year, and shrinking.
eBay business share is shrinking and losing sellers.  eBay is just trying to get big Sellers like Buy.com, to compensate for all their loses!!!

Meg Whitman drove this company into the ground, and not much, it appears, is going to change it.  But hurting the sellers is definitely not going to solve the problems!!!

by: Patricia

Thu Jun 19 13:49:41 2008

By the way, Ina, I LOVE your new pic :-)

by: make a call

Thu Jun 19 14:16:54 2008

The next time you folks get a pay pal charge back, call visa or mastercard direct.

by: stephen mcquade

Thu Jun 19 14:18:15 2008

The thing is that ebay is essentially a flea market. Since the suits have taken over they cant grasp that concept, it is beneath them. They can only think in Business as taught in business school. Ebay was never broke, it didnt need fixing. The company made plenty of money. Once you get a room full of suits trying to justify their worth you will always get ideas that they need to implement. Us sellers will never organize and we just accept the terms handed us.Time to find a new outlet!!

by: angryjim

Thu Jun 19 14:19:37 2008

Seller incentives?  Just another shell game from Donahue and Co.  Who do these mugs actually think they are fooling?  Do they believe we all just fell off the turnip truck - what are the inhaling or ingesting down in San Jose?

Sold my last item on eBay in April and have completely avoided the negative consequences of the changes. (They caused my feedback rating to actually move up 0.3% to 100%) Can't imagine ever selling on eBay again. Like to think I went out on a high note. (Best of luck to all of you who decide to soldier on.)

I predict that by Christmas of this year eBay as a selling venue will be a train wreck.

P.S. - the new picutre of you is great, Ina!  Make sure you send a copy to your mom.

by: M.C.

Thu Jun 19 14:20:42 2008

No seller can maintain a 4.9 on the shipping. It's impossible unless they give away the shipping. I've seen digital sellers who didn't charge a penny and they got 4.9. You'd think they'd get 5.0 because shipping was FREE.

by: Peter Leeflang/CEO of Leeflang Archives Corporatio

Thu Jun 19 14:29:54 2008

Does Ebay/Paypal mean t hat they are finally going to offer the protections a regular credit card used via a card gateway service already offers to both seller and buyer?

Even if I woudl believe that fairy tale, it would still be no 'selling proposition' to incentivize me nor my buyers.

My buyers and I have lost all confidence and that is not going to come back by a 'we will match whatever others offer'.

1 2 3  [Next Page]