Wed June 18 2008 13:01:02

Grannie Annie Says eBay Will Figure It Out

Ann Timbreza is in Chicago for her third eBay Live conference. Each time she comes to the show, she said she goes back and takes her eBay business to the next level. She's in Chicago to take classes and learn more to grow her business.

Asked if there were things she wanted to tell eBay executives, she said no. "eBay's like a big ole shpping center, and they're going to run their shopping center the way they want to. If I don't like it, I'll sell at another shopping center."

Her daughter Kimberly agreed, nodding her head as Ann spoke. "I have people telling me how to run my business," Ann said. "They don't know how to run my business. If eBay raises prices, I just sell more or pass along the cost."

Asked about eBay's changes to feedback in which sellers are no longer allowed to leave buyers negative, Ann said, "I'm glad they took it away. I only gave one negative (she's been selling on eBay since 1998), and I'm so ashamed. I left it in anger. You don't see Misters Sears and Roebuck running out chasing customers."

The problem of non-paying bidders was an annoyance. Annie and Kimberly pegged it at about 2 percent.

Speaking about recent changes, Ann said eBay was smart. "They want to make money and will figure it out. If it's not working, they'll stop."

eBay Live officially kicks off Thursday morning at McCormick Place West in Chicago, though users will begin celebrating this evening at events such as the annual user-organized event at the Hyatt lounge tonight.

Grannie Annie Says eBay Will Figure It Out   Grannie Annie Says eBay Will Figure It Out

by: Laura

Wed Jun 18 13:29:03 2008

It is interesting read Grannie Annie opinion about feedback. I agree that sellers shouldn't "drive off customers" and you never saw Mister Sears doing that HOWEVER there isn't a retail shop around that won't prosecute shoplifters. Sellers on ebay are very vulnerable, and feedback was the only tool we had to warn other sellers in the "shopping mall" of buyers with dishonest intentions.

by: bite me

Wed Jun 18 13:36:58 2008

I agree with everything she says. See, you can still be a good seller without leaving negs

by: Jess

Wed Jun 18 13:40:59 2008

Grannie Annie said "I'm glad they took it away. I only gave one negative, and I'm so ashamed. I left it in anger.

She should be ashamed if she left an angry negative retaliatory feedback against a buyer. Its people like her that took away my right to leave constructive feedback.

by: disgruntled ebayer

Wed Jun 18 15:27:28 2008

Isnt feedback on ebay still voluntery not mandatory? If so, DONT leave feedback as a seller, thats right, NEVER leave feedback, since it ahs to been postive now all the time.

by: Disgruntled Too

Wed Jun 18 15:52:52 2008

"Isnt feedback on ebay still voluntery not mandatory"

I wish I felt it was voluntary. But under the current system a seller is dependent upon feedback so now we need to leave it to get it. Powerseller and best match depend on it, so it’s not voluntary as much as its coerced.

by: DisgruntledPowerSeller

Wed Jun 18 15:59:38 2008

Grannie Annie, needs to wake up. What about the non paying bidders, that don't pay, ignore your emails and then leave you a negative, just for the heck of it.
Or those that get the item and then ask for a refund and keep the money as well. That is called shoplifting and YES, You do see Misters Sears and Roebuck running out chasing shoplifters.

by: Kerry

Wed Jun 18 16:12:29 2008

I'm wondering if most sellers who attend Ebay Live, are sellers who have almost a religious fervor about supporting eBay.

Hopefully Granny is right and eBay will adjust things when they see how flawed their changes are.

by: M.C. Nygard

Wed Jun 18 16:13:32 2008

Hey Grannie! Interesting analogy (eBay is "like big ole shopping center"). .. eBay is like the shopping mall that lets customers plaster big signs in front of the storefront windows that read "don't shop here"

by: Jack

Wed Jun 18 16:28:56 2008

These two posts today, this one and ''Mr Electric'' further my feeling that nothing but ebay ''Cheerleaders'' and ''Yessa massa'' sellers are going to this conference. I hope there are loud BOOS for Mr. Donnahoe tomorrow - although I'll bet they have a tight security presence of ''bouncer'' types there ready to expel anyone who disagrees with the ''Party Line''. What a joke!

I cringe at what ''new'' developments, policies, and ideas are going to be announced tomorrow.

by: Ryan

Wed Jun 18 16:53:37 2008

I find it interesting that her UPI rate is only 2%.  Mine was about 10 - 20% for store listings before the feedback changes (when I don't force immediate payment through paypal).  Maybe it is because over 10% of the eBay population doesn't care if they damage a faceless retailer but feel bad about robbing an old grandma?  Maybe we could all learn something from this.

by: etexas

Wed Jun 18 19:32:41 2008

Mr Sears and Roebuck? Old timey "Massa is always right, he built himself a big ol company" thought process seems to be at work here. (thanks for the giggle Jack)
Back when Mr Sears and Robuck were alive things were a little different.

There wasn't such a thing as paypal and chargebacks. If a customer walks into Sears and wants to pull an item off the shelf and not pay for it, it's called shoplifting. Mr Sears and Robuck did not hand the cash register keys to the customer and ask them to pay on their honor. In my mind this is how paypal is currently operating. For the most part people will pay and be a decent person, but the one jerk who steals a 1000. item AND the payment can put a single owner business in the hole.

In the real world with our physical store if shop lifters are in the area, we store owners call each other with a description so we can all keep an eye out or simply ask them to leave. Feedback was a good way to determine if someone was a known "problem" customer.

My UPIs have increased and my 100% feedback has been threatened twice since the new policy has gone into effect. Rather than cave in to feedback blackmail or outright theft assisted by paypal, I've stopped listing certain items (costing ebay money), I've moved my store to another site (costing ebay money), and I use google checkout as a preference on my personal store site and at my new e-store(still costing ebay money).
Ebay reminds me of a group of zealots, it's either black or white. There are no shades of gray, or checks and balances.
I hope if the pendulum swings back towards something resembling center (balanced for buyer and seller) I might return full time, but for now I am devoting my time to other store sites and watching from a distance.

by: tj

Wed Jun 18 20:36:07 2008

One more of the eBay zombies....yes everything is wonderful in eBayland thats why STF & FVF are all dropping like a rock...yes eBay will figure it out...LOL

Just more stupid nonsense from stupid people

by: Laura

Wed Jun 18 20:58:16 2008

I don't agree with TJ that Grannie Annie is stupid, perhaps a little naïve though.  I am glad she hasn't experienced any bad buyers, or she would be of a different opinion. I remember when I too thought of eBay with fondness, and as a great opportunity. Those opinions have changed and it didn’t happen overnight nor did it happen with just 1 bad buyer experience or just a couple of policy changes that disadvantage the seller.

by: Dan

Wed Jun 18 22:04:41 2008

I bet Grannie and Kimberly were smart enough NOT to say what they really think due to eBay retaliation!!!

by: Blondie

Wed Jun 18 23:48:34 2008

Mr. Electric & Granny Annie...what drugs are you two on??? Do you both not realize how all of these policy changes are eventually going to boot you right off the 'new and improved ebay'???? It will be the buybay & searsbay!!!!

by: Mr.Tim

Thu Jun 19 02:00:26 2008

Granny needs to stay away from the eBay Kool-Aid, IMO. Sorry, but eBay doesn't have the right to run their website as they see fit. "My way or the highway" doesn't wash in this country, Granny. Ebay is violating anti-trust laws by forcing Paypal on sellers. It's called a tying arrangement and it's against the law, period. EBay is a complete waste of a seller's time now anyway. They're as dead as can be. Amazon is where sellers are making money now.

by: z

Thu Jun 19 07:04:28 2008

I'm disapointed with the editor on this one. I almost thought it was a joke.  I hope not everyone at this event isn't so lame.  putting poor grandma up on display in front of all the flak that ebay is causing, Then we hear poor grandma up there defending e-bay! PRICELESS!!!!!!

by: steve

Thu Jun 19 09:24:27 2008

Don't drink the koolaide Grannie Annie!

Geesh, eBay zombies about nails it TJ.

Are these two for real?  Yes Virginia, there is a doormat.

Now I know why I don't attend these events.

by: Robert Hoover, Jr.

Thu Jun 19 11:14:51 2008

What I find most interesting is that the Neg that hurts me was issued by a seller in retaliation for truthfully saying I thought the item was mis-represented and poorly described. Plus he was just an angry person - all his e-mail were in caps (shouting).

But I feel that I am still entitled to the option to rate someone as a poor buyer or seller as the case deserves. I have left ony 1 Neg for non-payment and left no FB for one who, very nicely, asked to cancel the deal afterwards since she left me very nice FB. No FB was the only thing I felt I could honestly do and not cause this customer any problems since she would have completed the deal if I insisted.

As a seller I do my very level best to provide the same level of service that I expect (but don't always receive) when I'm a buyer.

And what was wrong with a 'life-time' average? Someone who is a very good seller or buyer suffers if they aren't active every month/week/day since it's only the last 12 months that now count.

And then there's PayPal.....  'nuff said.

by: Brenda

Thu Jun 19 13:14:05 2008

WHEN?

&ftab=FeedbackLeftForOthers&userid=19crystaltipps67&iid=-1&de=off&items=25&page=1