Mon June 16 2008 11:29:35

eBay Live 2008 Extracurricular Events Roundup

By: Julia Wilkinson

The parties and events outside of the main eBay Live conference are starting to percolate, as groups of people plan outings together in Chicago, and companies hold special events in the environs of the convention hall. Here's a listing of some of the "extracurricular" eBay Live events so far, as well as one "curricular" item - a link to all the eBay Live programs and seminars.

Wednesday, June 18

Alibaba e-Business Champion Awards at the University of Chicago, 6:30-8:30 pm. (You need to RSVP if you're going to attend.)

Annual eBay Meet & Greet (user-organized), 6:30 to 11:00 PM at the M/X lounge at the Hyatt Regency McCormick Place.

Thursday, June 19

Canadian Breakfast: 7:30-9:30 a.m.: Eleven City Diner, 1112 South Wabash, Chicago (see also here).

eBay Annual Stockholders Meeting: 8 am at the Central Hyatt Regency Chicago, 151 E Wacker Drive - Grand Ballroom E & F.

Friday, June 20

SalesAmigo event: from 5:30-7:30 p.m.at the Hyatt Regency Chicago Riverwalk. Enjoy Margaritas, Nachos, Fajitas and have fun as the launch of this new eBay accounting software is celebrated. (And what says fun like accounting software?)

Buddy Guy's Blues Bar outing. A group of sellers plans to head out to Buddy Guy's Legend Blues Bar Friday night 754 S. Wabash Ave. (at 8th St.) Chicago, IL 60605. Cover charge is $10 Thursday and $15 Friday or Saturday.

More Fun: "Spot the Rock Star" Contest. Win prizes and learn top seller secrets: The Online Success Institute is sponsoring an eBay Live contest called "Spot the Rock Star." Over 35 of the Rock Stars from the Online Success Institute will be at eBay Live, and once you "spot" one, ask them what the "secret to their success" is to get insider coaching information. And ask them for a "spot star" card. On this secret card is a website and a number. Go to that website, enter the number and see if you have won! Prizes include free memberships to OSI Rock Stars (Value $700+), the hot Flip Video Camera (Value $170), eBay Success/Training CD's (Value of $179+) and more.

And One "Curricular" Item: Link to the Class Listing for Those in Need:

eBay Class Listing from the eBay Live Discussion Board.

Julia Wilkinson is a blogger, freelance writer, and the author of several books including "The eBay Price Guide" (No Starch Press, 2006) and "eBay Top 100 Simplified Tips & Tricks" (Wiley, 2004-6); Her latest ebook, "Over 500 Books that Sell for $50-$5000 on eBay," is available on her website.

eBay Live 2008 Extracurricular Events Roundup   eBay Live 2008 Extracurricular Events Roundup

by: froliky

Mon Jun 16 12:15:52 2008

Until there are reforms at eBay there is not much to celebrate or advertise.
Very serious problems mount at eBay with Paypal support - false Item Not Received disputes and Not as Described claims, and now the silencing of the seller in feedback. You don't have to take our word for it. Look here for listings numbers and sell through rates.  Dont forget to discount foreign listings.  http://www.powersellersunite.com/auctionsitewatch.php
and http://www.medved.net/cgi-bin/cal.exe?SIND
Much of what information about eBay in the news recently is window dressing, smoke and mirrors:
   New policy changes have now very drastically changed the risk factors for sellers.
   Is there a rabbit in eBays hat? Is this a marketing or business arrangement experiment, or is this a very disturbing and sinister version of company value manipulation?   Is there going to be yet another secretary document shredding investigation?
  It may appear suspicious that eBay would form a business arrangement with Buy.com at the same time as the implementation of the controversial reputation and revenue damaging feedback policies.
  Whether or not management is "padding the numbers", (with questionable Buy listings and others), in a veiled attempt to keep up appearances, allowing time for new empowered buyers to gather is debatable.  Whether or not there is a solid case against eBay for the Better Business Bureau, the FTC, the SEC, the Attorney General or a class action lawsuit, or even a criminal prosecution is a matter to be very seriously pondered.   Whether or not John Donohoe will ever face justice, whether or not these policies constitute a criminal act, whether anyone is liable for irreparable harm is yet to be determined.
  Seemingly beyond an attempt to "cook the books", these combined policy decisions may appear to be the opposite of a "pump and dump" investment scheme, - a "bear attack"- (an attempt to drive down the value of company stock,) and bears close scrutiny.
  If this is not a clumsily masterminded conspiracy, or misleading and deceptive practices, or some attempt to monopolize certain category sales for under the table profit, then what is it?
   Is leadership on the line with an attempt to defraud investors while the company poses to repurchase an announced 1.9 billion dollars worth of company stock, and is this going to become headline news?
   If there comes an announcement at the Live! convention of the cancellation of the questionable Buy.com agreement, if there is a sudden rollback of the feedback policies all this will just be coincidence and management comes out smelling like a rose, right?
 Wrong.
   When the gavel drops, company reputation, member trust and potential revenue have been wasted. The rising global flood of competition grows, steadily eroding this pathetic sand castle.
 Obviously at the very least, these decisions will be the focus of investigation and study by students of economics and law, by business law specialists and by media now and for many years to come.
 Until proper member safeguards are adopted, from the perspective of countless users,  eBay company reputation is no better than that of their worst member.

google this to find it: froliky

This user has validated their user name. by: Bob

Mon Jun 16 18:52:34 2008

I for one plan to attend the event and work the floor - I've got vendors to see, products to review, and business decisions to make.  My sales are up, my sell-thru rate is up, and my average selling price is up -- about the only thing that's down is the number of sellers I'm competing against!

The sky may very well be falling - but I've still got a family to feed and bills to pay.  I plan to continue building my business, adapting to the changing environment I find myself in, and take advantage of those opportunities that present themselves.  I guess I just don't have time to complain.

by: Jesus Bob !

Mon Jun 16 19:41:37 2008

Now we all know the only guy on earth that seems to be happy with ebay - It's Bob (his post right above). And his business seems to be great as well. Bob, we all envy you, really. All the others, including me, are probably wondering, if Bob's post is from 2002 ? Or maybe they started with brainwash at that Live thing ?

by: Jesus and Bob in Real Life

Mon Jun 16 19:51:34 2008

I for one do not plan to attend the event and do not walk the floor - I've got to pay the last ebay bill, listings to end, and looking for a real job. My sales are down, my sell-through rate is down, and my average selling price is zero - The only thing that is up is - ok I don't mention it.

The sky is not falling (why should it). I have a family to feed and bills to pay as well. I plan to go back to real life, find a good job, adapting to a life without internet environment I find myself in and take advantage of hopefully real business opportunities. I am sure I will not meet Bob so I do not have to complain. This is just a joke, sorry, I had to write this. No offense Bob.

by: froliky

Tue Jun 17 03:02:21 2008

I understand.  You will not learn anything valuable from them however.  Their gimmicks are more window dressing. What works to sell anything is simply being thorough, convenient, clear and honest.  If you need ''tricks and secrets'' or gimmicks, there is something wrong.  eBay plays the lire and some will still dance.  Yes I too have a few listings. The walls have not yet fallen, but there is much waste and wreckage.. There are many innocent victims and their story will be told.  We will play our own tune.

by: Amazed Powerseller

Tue Jun 17 06:40:53 2008

I would not miss eBay live for the world. As a matter of fact, I am bringing my video camera.

I will be able to record a CEO speaking with a forked tongue and I bet if I play my cards right I can catch some of the eBay personnel with their martian antennaes up.

by: Tired

Tue Jun 17 07:16:18 2008

Just two words for the eBay managers

Parasitic entrails!

@amazed>>>>> I would love to see that video or at least be able to hear all the NOISE when you return!!!

by: John Paul

Tue Jun 17 09:16:37 2008

Anybody going to ebaY Live 08 have fun. I had a great time in Boston 07.  I won't be making it to Chicago so can someone going do me a favor?  Can you ask the ebaY higher ups why do they continue to promote Kim Kardashians fake Charity auctions on there homepage.  Do they know that she is only donating 10%?  I would love to know why she is always on the homepage when there are plenty of auctions out there donating 100%?   This is really bothering me among many of the other ebaY moves this year.

by: Patricia

Tue Jun 17 16:12:51 2008

I can't go to the last ebay live so there's only one thing I wish - I wish I could be a fly on the wall when Donahoe steps on stage in his flak jacket and hardhat to give the keynote speech at Ebay live ;-)  I'm hoping ebay sellers give him a rousing "reception!"

www.ACEOart.net

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Wed Jun 18 00:26:19 2008

In addition to elevating Bob to ebay troll sainthood, ebay's rubber stamp Board of Directors might use the next few days to contemplate what they've installed in San Hosed.

At their best, this fresh out of diapers management team certainly couldn't be described as particularly innovative. Disruptive? Yes. Innovative? Hardly. This gang follows in the footsteps of equally inept management who only succeeded because a pet rock could have led ebay during good economic times.

One of the most obvious hallmarks of ebay management is its heavily authoritarian, paternalistic, fascist business model. This group and the group that preceeded them are and were inherently incapable of creating anything positive or innovative.

Need Buy It Now platform? Steal it from Merc.

Want to re create the venue? Copy Amazon and then leverage a group of me-too, third rate dot.com sites in order to sell items for more and ship for more. What a strategy!

Want to make the site "stickier?" Copy Facebook.

The Donna Hoe should be an enormous embarassment to Pierre, the Board of Directors, and ebay stockholders.

If the depth and breadth of ehay's deceptive and duplicitous practices were fully known all associated would be running to their lawyers' offices and scattering to the four winds.

Ebay is America's most despicable corporation.

by: Tired

Wed Jun 18 06:49:59 2008

@Ming...

VERY well said!!!

by: Jesusbay

Wed Jun 18 11:12:33 2008

@ Ming. You wrote: "...fascist business model...".

I totally agree with you.