Wed June 11 2008 12:07:27

Google - eBay PayPal War Heats Up

While eBay fends off Google, which opposes eBay's PayPal-only policy in Australia (see latest developments in today's Newsflash article), developers accused Google of excluding PayPal from its App Engine (see today's story). It may be up to the Australian government to decide this round of fighting, and buyers and sellers' freedom of choice are at stake. The ACCC is expected to rule on Monday (just days before eBay's annual convention, kicking off in Chicago on the 19th).

Update 6/12/08: Australia Throws Roadblock in eBay's PayPal Only Plans, see today's news story.

by: dimes

Wed Jun 11 12:34:09 2008

Perhaps if eBay stops preventing sellers from using google checkout, google will stop preventing developers from linking to paypal in their apps.

by: Daisy

Wed Jun 11 13:05:02 2008

Ina-
I'm not seeing the June 11 Newsflash. Are you sure it's up? Thanks

by: Daisy

Wed Jun 11 13:06:32 2008

Oops, sorry. Found it. Was looking in the wrong place.

by: go at it

Wed Jun 11 13:45:35 2008

Attack, go at it, fight the evil paypal and its sleezebay owners

by: WD

Wed Jun 11 14:20:21 2008

Google may be pleased to know that (for me at least) all eBay and Paypal sites seem to be seriously DOWN at the moment ... anyone else having the same 'problem'...?

by: Jim S.

Wed Jun 11 14:52:43 2008

I'm not having any problems accessing eBay or PP today.

by: WD

Wed Jun 11 15:01:41 2008

Hi Jim, thanks, for me ALL eBay and Paypal sites (like com, co.uk, de, nl, com/au) are to be un-accessable as of some 50 minutes ago... I was surfing some of the eBay boards, and suddenly they got stuck... checked the other eBay sites and then Paypal... same thing... un-accessable.... strange.... maybe I got seriously pink-slapped :-/ lol .... will try the cookie-delete and cache-cleaning routine now... later ;-)

by: mark

Wed Jun 11 15:04:23 2008

Yep. eBay has been down for about an hour now (Netherlands, Europe) and still is. And Paypal does not work either I just noticed. Perhaps a massive DOS-attack by angry ex-eBay sellers?

by: Peter Leeflang/CEO of Leeflang Archives Corporatio

Wed Jun 11 15:14:32 2008

Paypal has been having problems for weeks, including problems with uptime, speed, some pages inaccessible, no emails after payments.

My customers are complaining regularly, especially off late, that they cannot pay via Paypal and they have to try multiple times, sometimes for days.

Even had a call from Amanda from Paypal, when I reported customers abandoning use of Paypal with me (instead using our own gateway). After that call it did not get any better, but worse.

by: Kal

Wed Jun 11 15:26:17 2008

Ditto the Payment emails. Out of the last three payments in the past 48 hours, I only got one payment email. What a PITA.

by: WD

Wed Jun 11 15:43:49 2008

Thanks Mark, I'm glad it isn't my computer causing the problems.

I did a quick check:
un-accessable for me (in the Netherlands) are the regular ebay sites and forums and the paypal site, as well as paypal's www.onlinemerchantnetwork.com,  paypal's developer community www.pdncommunity.com and ebayinkblog.com

but I can access e.g. ebaychatter.com, www.paypaldeveloper.com, and investor.ebay.com ....

Accessability problems going on for about 90 minutes now...

by: WD

Wed Jun 11 15:49:48 2008

and ... everything is accessable again.... another major glitch solved (and maybe caused...?) again by the magnifiscent eBay software developers team, lol ;-)

by: martin

Wed Jun 11 20:51:42 2008

I pulled both the first and the second PDF apart with everything possible and still did not find anything linking to google, so I still suspect that was an ebay find of something that was not there, and until some one tells me what to use so I can see it in my coppy, then I'll keep thinking that.

i hope ebay get their dream of world domination stopped at the gate in the land down under, as I would hate to think they get their way.

by: Tired

Wed Jun 11 21:42:20 2008

I hope Google kicks the ever liven s%#t out of PayPal...twice! no three times.

by: pj3360

Wed Jun 11 21:43:11 2008

I am surprised that no one sent the Australian Court a copy of the listing done by the head of Ebay Germany.  If Paypal is so anti-fraud, then why does this executive head in Ebay require such extensive documentation from the buyer WHO USES PAYPAL.  I bet he didn't require that type of information if someone transferred money to his bank account (the preferred way to bank for most German people).

by: pj3360

Wed Jun 11 21:44:46 2008

I think that Ebay is trying to weaken it's self for takeover and dismantling, but that is just my humble opinion.

by: Gail

Wed Jun 11 23:42:03 2008

Personally, I think ''Auctionbytes reader David Bromage'' should have kept his mouth shut.  The submission to the ACCC was posted anonymously for a reason.  It wouldn't have hurt for Auctionbytes to get valid confirmation from Google or the ACCC before rushing to publish it, either.  In the article dated May 29, 2008 titled ''Oops! Google Outed in Objection to eBay Oz Policy'', the words ''...appears to have been created...'' do not diminish the impact of the title.  There is no question mark at the end of that title, it is stated as fact.  Reporting heresay as fact is trading professionalism for sensationalism.  Very disappointing.

by: Chris

Thu Jun 12 06:24:56 2008

martin: ''I pulled both the first and the second PDF apart with everything possible and still did not find anything linking to google''

The Word document title is very clearly in the first version of the PDF (but not in the second). You must be doing something wrong. See http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2008/05/30/1211654272331.html
>gail:
''It wouldn't have hurt for Auctionbytes to get valid confirmation from Google or the ACCC before rushing to publish it, either.''

Google was asked directly by the SMH whether it was the author of the submission and would not comment. This was reported in the SMH.

by: Misty

Thu Jun 12 07:50:01 2008

Australia's ACCC gives EBAY NOTICE TO REVOKE PAYPAL-ONLY!!!

todays announcement