Mon June 9 2008 20:31:21

IMA Educates Buyers on eBay's New Feedback

The Internet Merchants Association (IMA) has launched a website "designed to provide eBay buyers with an accurate description and explanation of the changes to the feedback and DSR system, so that they are appropriately educated prior to leaving a seller feedback."

The IMA is recommending sellers include the website URL on all communications with buyers, including emails, packing slips and invoices.

Steven Grossberg, President of IMA stated "eBay has not done an effective and thorough job of informing buyers of the impact of leaving DSRs. The negative impact of buyers leaving 4's for a seller can be significant, even though the eBay site makes it look like a 4 is a pretty good rating. We felt that this was an important message to deliver to eBay buyers. We're simply educating the community on the truth about DSR's."

I'd like to know what readers think of this initiative and whether you'll be using the IMA resource to educate your buyers.

IMA Educates Buyers on eBay's New Feedback   IMA Educates Buyers on eBay's New Feedback

by: Kelly

Mon Jun 9 20:42:14 2008

That looks like a useful website that I think I will probably use.  Very well done. It's about time someone publishes something to help buyers understand eBay's doublespeak!

by: tj

Mon Jun 9 20:48:16 2008

It’s quite ridicules when the IMA has to come out and explain that eBay is killing it’s sellers with their hair brain FB policy

This is creating so much animosity eBay is rotting from the inside out..and serious damage is being done to eBay sellers business’s that many have taken years to build up

eBay is basically over for many sellers now

When Donna HO does his bit at the eBay Live ..please stand up and Boo him..he needs to feel the noise

by: Jeff

Mon Jun 9 20:50:43 2008

I would love to place that exact copy/code on my About Me Page.  Is there anyway to get to get the page code so I can paste that code directly into my page???

by: Lisa

Mon Jun 9 21:05:01 2008

I'm with tj. It's ridiculous that Ebay has cast it's sellers in such an unfavorable light that we need an outside source to help in educating the buyers? When did this become necessary? When the feedback changeover took place, of course. No, I probably won't use it. Buyers are already annoyed that they have to jump through so many loops just to leave feedback. I just don't care anymore.

by: Patricia

Mon Jun 9 21:12:12 2008

FINALLY somebody with some brains!  What ebay is doing is inexcusable and at the same time shows a frightening lack of business intelligence!  Thank you so much for this - I'm going to put a link to it in every email I send to a customer.

www.ACEOart.net

This user has validated their user name. by: Pete

Mon Jun 9 21:24:48 2008

I agree with other posters to this blog.  eBay needs to educate buyers on what the fb rating system means to sellers.  Since they have failed to do so and refuse to do so in the future, I am glad to see an organization such as the IMA step up and provide this service.

by: feedback is sinking the ship

Mon Jun 9 22:14:37 2008

If I didn't know any better, I would say Meg Whitman intentionally put John Donahue at the helm so the business would fail and she would look brilliant in hindsight.

by: Tired

Mon Jun 9 22:34:17 2008

How long do you think eBay will let that  ''link'' be active in or near your auctions?????  I like the idea and agree eBay has dropped the ball once again.  I have been printing a form I attach to every invoice I send out to buyers.  It is a couple of sentences and screen shots of the  DSR area.  I try to keep things positive even though it's real hard these days... If the ''buyer'' is also a ''seller'' he or she will already know what the deal is...  None of it will matter once you get an idiot leaving you less the 5 star feedback.

I really wish I was going to Chicago just to see Donahoe's face when he is  introduced and not heard over the ''noise'' in the audience!!!!!

by: PJ3359

Mon Jun 9 22:39:28 2008

I like the information and I will use it in correspondence with my buyers.  I just feel that this is still very wrong.  It has become the business model for many corporations to pass on as much of the expense of their operations onto other entities.  Some people ask "why" did Ebay do it this way?  Some seem to think it was ignorance or just simply lack foresight in it's applications...to this I say HOG WASH.  Ebay knew exactly what it was doing...and it had an agenda.  Personally I have found Ebay likes to be as vague about everything it does to create loopholes and plausible deniability, but in reality Ebay is masterfully playing it's hand.....and we are left to ponder.

Ponder no more....as every disfunction serves a function, and in this case Ebay can fault the buyers and sellers for the problem DSR's (leaving Ebay not responsible for it's own actions).  Ebay has always tried to scapegoat it's actions unto other entities....meanwhile taking no responsibility (financially or morally) for it's business decisions.  As long as we fill in all these black holes for Ebay (CONTINUOUSLY), Ebay wins.

by: RicRoe

Mon Jun 9 23:48:50 2008

The fact that an outside organization, IMA, is taking steps that are more accurate and informative than what eBay itself has offered thus far should be a source of major embarassment to eBay and the executive team that has made this mess.

That eBay continues to tell buyers that 4 star ratings are good, but requiring 4.7 or better for decent (not even good) placement in Best Match search, should be cause for legal action due to deceptive business practices.

Given the current enviornment at eBay, I will remain with blujay.com and eCrater.com, where listings are 100% free and I can accept payment methods like Google Checkout and avoid those high PayPal fees as well.

eBay is no longer worthy of my confidence or trust that they have my interests as a seller at heart.

Going back to eBay and paying first class fees for third class service is now unthinkable.

eBay has lost me as a seller and a buyer. I will now support vendors at venues that respect and treat me so well as a seller rather than support eBay with my business.

I prefer dealing with venues that are honest and upfront with their sellers as opposed to the underhanded and  biased tactics employed against sellers by eBay.

by: cathy

Tue Jun 10 01:04:31 2008

A buyer gave me a neutral saying "didn't like the ___" although I have a totally open return policy.  She then emailed me that she left the wrong feedback for me, thinking I was a different seller.  Both of us tried to convince ebay of the honest mistake and buyer/seller agreement but ebay reiterated the same feedback explanations. No help at all. The first neutral in 7 years for me...and now with big consequences!  This new feedback hurts sellers paying huge fees each month, like me.

by: Lars

Tue Jun 10 01:07:41 2008

Ebay will not educate buyers because an educated buyer is bad for the bottom line. Ebay rewards itself off a dysfunctional marketplace. This is the reason why I am in the process of starting the Virtual Camera (Print Screen) campaign. There is so much evidence of Ebays foul business practices that I beleive all the evidence (screen captures) need to be securely placed on one website and widely available to any lawyer that wants to download to their hearts content.

Anybody else interested in this cause?

by: Gaz

Tue Jun 10 02:04:15 2008

Hi Ina

(If links like this are disallowed, please delete it).

eBay's new links policy pre-empts linking to pages like the IMA's new feedback explanation page.  The new policy allows only links within eBay or to pictures of products that are on pages with no links to any selling site (The IMA site sells memberships for the IMA, therefore eBay could (in a spite) pull listings for linking to it).

Much better would be for sellers to create their own blog post within their eBay My World Blog, and link to that - then the link is within eBay's pages and not contravening the new policy.

Here's an example - if the line wrap breaks the link, you'll need to copy all of it into your browser's address bar -
rs-Despatch-or-Delivery-Tim/_W0QQidZ611003012

If
that link doesn't work, just open the full blog at

and look for the blog post called -
Did eBay tell the Buyers - Despatch or Delivery Time?

The more posts in eBay blogs by sellers, telling the buyers what they should have been told by eBay, the better educated the buying public will become about the eBay double standards.

Of course, there will always be a percentage of pure buyers who couldn't give a stuff about the implications of DSRs and regular feedback ratings, and in all honesty, why should they?  However, educating them about the direct implications to them (e.g. loss of seller continuity for warranty issues etc) might just make them buck up and become responsible eBayers - we can all hope, can't we?

So, I recommend every seller create the neccesary posts in their eBay blog to explain what they want to tell buyers, and then link to those blog posts in their listings - at least then the listing will not get pulled for off-site links.

Gaz

by: imalovesina

Tue Jun 10 02:55:14 2008

would rather see a seller group focus on uniting sellers and improving the buyer experience, negotiating fee cuts, or other more useful ebay policies.  more thought should have been put into this before rushing it out of the chicken coop.

not sure how other than posting on various message boards or killing more trees to print them out sellers will use this for ebay as the links will be prohibited on eBay pages.

unsure if you read the text of the entire site ina, but the summary of the dsrs is not accurate and the words used by the group aren’t the same as those used by ebay.  confusing the issue by dicing and slicing words does not make your pov right.

buyers want to buy- sites like amazon and others are succeeding because buying is as simple as point click win pay.

trying to educate buyers by interpreting ebay rules in the way that most favors your position is circular reasoning and not exactly factual.

bottom line- be careful what you wish for as this education attempt may end up further killing the marketplace.

by: Eddie

Tue Jun 10 03:10:17 2008

"2/3 neg weight for neutrals is not entirely the same as saying neuts count as negs.  Last time I checked, the 7-11 wouldn’t take .75 for $1."

It is if your eBay, a neut or neg is the same for your feedback % only, whereas a neut and neg are weighted differently for the 30 Seller Non Performance calculation

by: Eddie

Tue Jun 10 03:11:37 2008

30 Seller Non Performance calculation =

30 day Seller Non Performance calculation

by: Dave

Tue Jun 10 03:51:27 2008

Boycott ebay...It is the only way to get action. Money talks and B.S. walks.

by: Dave

Tue Jun 10 04:00:40 2008

BOYCOTT ebay.

by: ma

Tue Jun 10 04:40:39 2008

We do have to educate buyers. In a positive way yes. I say the copy of the link in our thank you letter and on invoice in with items. We cant link in our blogs or me page or? anywhere on ebay. I wouldnt want to risk them shutting down my auctions because of a policy violation. I have my website linked to ebay but not the other way around because I knew this would be a problem. I guess Ill have to take my WAR Cost link off, what about LIST my store links? Anyway this is a must with educ buyers. I have feedback saying, fast delivery super fast shipping, etc, and these people bought on sun and had in their hands on tues and wed. and my 30 day dsr for shipping time is down way down so either the pop up box blocked them or ebay changed the dot after they chose one. Something has to be done. ma

by: Henrietta

Tue Jun 10 04:55:01 2008

I agree with Ric Roe. I would not stiff the alternative sites who have been so helpful. Who do not interfere in how I run my business, or tell me how I can get paid. No way.

I would never make eBay my primary venue again.

@Gaz

No links off eBay. Anywhere.

1 2 3  [Next Page]