Tue June 3 2008 13:47:04

Seth Godin's Squidoo-eBay 10 Day Challenge

Seth Godin's Squidoo service is running a challenge to eBay sellers. Create one Squidoo lens a day for 10 days to promote your eBay listings and eBay Store, and get a chance to be featured during Godin's speech at the eBay Live conference later this month.

The marketing guru's message: "Creating a Squidoo lens for your eBay store is like building a second front door to your business. If 1 lens can do that - think what 10 can do for you!" Seth said the contest is being run by eBay lensmasters and judged by eBay lensmasters.

The winner receives a free iPod, gets one of their eBay lenses showcased as the Squidoo Lens of the Day on June 19 (the first day of eBay Live), and gets featured as a case study in Seth Godin's talk at eBay Live. (And even if you don't win, you will have invested time in helping to promote your business. And for a "10 Day Challenge," you don't even have to put on your running shoes.)

Starts June 4, details are available on the official Squidoo-eBay Challenge lens.

Seth Godin's Squidoo-eBay 10 Day Challenge   Seth Godin's Squidoo-eBay 10 Day Challenge

by: Drew11

Tue Jun 3 14:11:24 2008

Is this really worth the effort? I have tried many of these fashionable marketing gimmicks for ebay. Flickr, myspace, etc. None have worked. Only google brings buyers from outside ebay for me. YMMV...

by: LLP

Tue Jun 3 15:56:49 2008

What the heck is a Squidoo "lens"?

by: Katiyana

Tue Jun 3 16:11:00 2008

A Squidoo lens is a single page website that you create using a series of building blocks called modules.  There are dozens of different modules available and many are very customizable.

Drew - I definitely have found Squidoo to be worth the effort.  It has brought in additional revenues to my business, as well as increased traffic to my eBay store.  In fact, one month last year, Squidoo actually outperformed Google in traffic generation for me.

I know one Squidoo user who has a single lens that recently generated $1000 of income in one month for him.  That wasn't eBay sales, but affiliate revenues, but if you put in the work, it can be rewarded.

by: Magnus

Tue Jun 3 16:18:55 2008

EBAY FEEDBACK = SELLER SILENCE

Ebay’s new feedback system is a violation of equal rights to all Ebay users and a betrayal to all loyal and dedicated Ebay Sellers--particularly those who have worked diligently to protect their perfect feedback records.

Ebay’s new feedback system has silenced the Seller and taken away their equal rights on Ebay. The Seller is now a silent, second class citizen in every transaction they create.

Ebay's new feedback system assumes there is no such thing as a bad Buyer and leaves the Seller completely defenseless against unscrupulous Buyers, with absolutely no recourse except to run to Ebay's already over-burdened complaint department where they will receive little or no satisfaction.

Ebay’s new feedback system has stripped all Sellers of their ability to defend themselves against unscrupulous Buyers who, for any number of reasons, decide to hold the Seller's feedback record hostage.

Ebay’s new feedback system renders the Ebay feedback system inaccurate, misleading, and therefore invalid because you can't read both sides of a disputed transaction.

Ebay’s new feedback system is solely intended to increase purchasing on Ebay by eliminating Buyer accountability.

Ebay’s new feedback policy is unfair, unethical, and a vicious insult to every honest, considerate and loyal Seller on Ebay who has worked hard for their positive feedback.

Ebay’s new feedback policy will compel many honest and caring Sellers to stop selling on Ebay. In particular, you will see a marked decline in rare, unique, and one of a kind items, particularly from nonprofessional sellers; private citizens who possess or locate rare or unusual items.

Ebay’s new feedback policy will result in more ''Power Sellers'' on Ebay, those who sell large volumes of commercial items because random negative feedback is among hundreds or thousands of sales per week. Ebay will soon become the premiere commercial selling site, forsaking the small, unique boutique seller.

Ebay’s new feedback policy will result in arbitrary and baseless negative feedback by dishonest Buyers to Sellers and, ultimately, will render the Ebay feedback system useless and dysfunctional as an accurate and unbiased purchasing evaluation tool.

Ebay’s new feedback policy will inspire unscrupulous Buyers to renegotiate their purchases after receipt, using the threat of negative feedback unless the Seller complies. Other Buyers may simply demand a total refund, including shipping/handling charges, compelling the Seller to comply or risk accumulating a negative Selling reputation.

Ebay’s new feedback policy will compel many Sellers to stop leaving Buyer feedback--why should a Seller participate in a system they have no voice in?

Ebay’s new feedback policy will compel many Sellers to stop trying to preserve or protect their feedback records--why should a Seller care any longer if they are likely to receive unfair or baseless feedback along with fair and accurate feedback?

Ebay’s new feedback policy will compel a Seller to examine a Buyer’s feedback record and reject any bid from any bidder who has left negative feedback after 5/19/08 because this the only way a Seller can protect themselves from abusive.Buyer feedback.

Ebay’s new feedback policy is a blatant attack on fair and equal treatment for all Ebayers, both Sellers and Buyers. Is it is right to hold a Seller accountable but not the Buyer? Is it right to be able to publicly criticize a Seller for a transaction who cannot respond in their defense?

Ebay’s new feedback policy hurts everyone on Ebay, not just the Seller.

by: Henrietta

Tue Jun 3 18:26:47 2008

If I want an iPod I will go and buy an iPod. I like Squidoo but it would take a lot more than that to make me go back to eBay which is equivalent to standing on a street corner with a sign pinned on my chest saying "Certified Stupid Rip Me Off"

I don't think eBay will ever become the premier commercial selling site because eBay has never grasped the concept of customer service.

by: The Graduate

Tue Jun 3 22:06:04 2008

Anything that brings additional traffic to an eBay store is a good thing since eBay does it's best to hide the store listings.

by: Adrian

Tue Jun 3 23:10:21 2008

Magnus,
Terrific post telling it like it is!!!

by: Adrian

Tue Jun 3 23:14:43 2008

Hey Seth!

by: Sally

Tue Jun 3 23:17:34 2008

Squidoo lenses will without a doubt bring additional traffic to your eBay listings and eBay store.  I've been quite impressed with the additional traffic from my lenses.

by: Susan F, Heywood

Tue Jun 3 23:17:45 2008

I love Squidoo and wish that there were a challenge that used Google Checkout stores rather than eBay stores as the focus.

by: Shadow Fire Promotions, Inc.

Tue Jun 3 23:43:14 2008

We agree with the poster who asked what the heck a ''Squidoo'' is.  Besides, isn't this just another gimmick like gift listing, etc. to make ebay some extra cash for no actual effort on their part?

This user has validated their user name. by: Bill

Wed Jun 4 02:42:41 2008

Seth looks like some alien creature from one of those cheap drive-in movies that I used to go see years ago.

Lens is another marketing tool that is cool for some people and a bunch of crap for others. My buyers would never even look at a site called squidoo. They would be afraid they are going to be sold a time share in a resort some where or a marketing DVD and book on how you and only you alone can make a fortune buying real estate. Just make sure you count your fingers after you shake hands with the guy.

I myself have no desire to go to Live even though I live an hour and a half away. There is nothing to see or hear that is worth the cost and any news I can read about it on line. I went to Vegas 2 years ago only because it was a vacation right off. I am in Chicago all of the time so there is no big deal plus it is a pain to get to McCormick place. I also would not venture outside of there at night because I doubt the security from the police will be that good since the city has a law suit against eBay because of Stub Hub.

Bill

by: Disgruntled Ebay Seller

Wed Jun 4 03:41:24 2008

Sorry, but there is a revolt going on at ebay now. Thousands of sellers are closing up shop, from the new feedback changes. Come see the revolt: http://forums.ebay.com/db2/forum.jspa?forumID=113

by: *HippieChick1969*

Wed Jun 4 03:43:25 2008

NOISE NOISE NOISE
MAKE MORE NOISE!

by: Going Postal

Wed Jun 4 03:49:07 2008

I Already LEFT feebay...

Save yourselves...

by: jim

Wed Jun 4 06:41:51 2008

Discrimination and Unfair Competition --
CA. Business and Professions Code 17044

We sellers need to file a class action law suit and

Sue ebay for Discrimination to sellers.

This is unfair and unjust and just plaun wrong!!!!!!!!

by: stevegaskins@hotmail.com

Wed Jun 4 08:52:32 2008

Wasn't he on Star Trek?

by: WePurrsevere

Wed Jun 4 10:40:02 2008

Okay.. I give up. What's the difference between this and setting up a basic blog, website or Google Base, etc to promote where you sell or put affiliate ads on?

It's a neat gimmick but so far it seems to me it's just that.. a gimmick.

by: CashBackAtEbay

Wed Jun 4 15:38:21 2008

The real 10-day challenge is for seller to CREATE AN EBAY REVOLT ON SQUIDOO! I'll be writing about why Amazon is winning over eBay.

by: Julie

Thu Jun 5 10:46:19 2008

Hey Seth!
"So you are going to attend eBay Live. I wouldn't go if it cost me only 25 cents. Why would I pay plane fare, lodging, meals, etc to go see someone who hates me and says I'm only good for making NOISE?"

STANDING OVATION!  *applause*  I totally agree with this poster!!

Why anyone would attend Ebay LIVE or any other Ebay function is beyond me. Cheerleading for the team that screwed me, while they continue to lie from their podiums?  I think not!