Thu May 29 2008 22:41:15

Keeping up with Kim Kardashian's Charity eBay Auction

By: Julia Wilkinson

Julia Wilkinson is a blogger, freelance writer, and the author of several books including "The eBay Price Guide" (No Starch Press, 2006) and "eBay Top 100 Simplified Tips & Tricks" (Wiley, 2004-6); Her latest ebook, "Over 500 Books that Sell for $50-$5000 on eBay," is available on her website.

Is this how celebrity Kim Kardashian keeps up her luxurious lifestyle - by buying and selling on eBay? No stranger to the site (her feedback rating is over 1000), the reality tv star of "Keeping Up with the Kardashians" on the "E!" network is running a charity auction starting Thursday, May 29, and running for 10 days, managed by Auction Cause. You can view the auction items here. A percentage of the proceeds go to the Dream Foundation, an organization that grants wishes to terminally ill adults.

I caught up briefly with Kim, who was on her Blackberry between takes of a movie she's shooting in Louisiana, to find out more about what she was selling and how she got into eBay and her charitable cause.

Julia: Can you tell us a little about your current Kim's Closet charity auction kicking off tonight?

Kim: I am so excited about this auction because it is different than any other eBay auctions I have done before! When "Keeping up with the Kardashians" is airing, we receive so many phone calls regarding our wardrobe and now it's all available for everyone to purchase! There will be everything from my Herve Leger dresses, to Chanel purses, and Jimmy Choo boots!

All the fabulous stuff I have been photographed in! My sisters and brother's girlfriend, Adrienne Bailon from the Cheetah girls, are selling stuff too! The auction starts this Thursday night and will run for 10 days! The best part is a percentage of the proceeds to go the Dream Foundation, which grants wishes to terminally ill adults.

Julia: When did you start getting into eBay? Do you buy on there as well as sell?

Kim: I have been both buying and selling for over six years now! I started off buying on eBay. I would find the most amazing stuff that I simply could find at any store!

I then realized I had accumulated so much stuff over the years that was just too expensive to give away, so started selling on eBay! I put myself on a budget! I couldn't buy another thing unless I sold something first!

Julia: Can you tell us about the first thing you ever bought or sold on eBay?

Kim: The first thing I sold on eBay was my old Prada backpack! I hadn't used it in years!!! The first thing I bought was a Louis Vuitton bag - it was super cheap and fake! I had to learn the hard way, but now I'm a pro! I can definitely tell the difference! Also eBay has cracked down extremely hard now to ensure they don't sell fakes!

Julia: I see your charity is the Dream Foundation, which grants wishes for terminally ill adults. How did you find out about that charity and why did you choose that one?

Kim: My mom and my stepdad Bruce are on the board of the Dream Foundation! It's close to my heart because my father passed away as an adult and I wish I had the opportunity to grant him his last wish!

Julia: Tell us about some of the items in your auction. What are some of your favorite things? Can you tell us about one or two of the special events or memorable things you did while wearing these items?

Kim: There are so many fabulous items I am selling on eBay! I would have to say my favorites are my Herve Leger dresses. I must be selling about 15 of them! I have worn them to so many different events! This one burgundy one I wore in the "Keeping up with the Kardashians" opening credits!

Julia: What kinds of things do you buy on eBay (or sell)? Do you collect anything vintage like salt and pepper shakers?

Kim: I usually sell clothes, bags and shoes! I like to buy super-trendy items but once people start knocking them off, then I know it's time to sell it!

My favorite deal that got me hooked on eBay was a few years back. I was working for my dad in his office and I saw Jennifer Lopez wearing these Manolo Blahnik Timberland boots! The Manolo store was selling them for $700. I asked my dad to lend me the money to buy 5 pairs just to sell on eBay because I knew I would make more money than I purchased them for because they were so hard to get!

He thought I was crazy but agreed! I had a connection at the Manolo store, so I was able to snag five pairs! I put them up on eBay and each of them sold for a little under $3000 a pair!!! That was the best eBay sale!

I also sold Bruce's Harley Davidson on EBay!

Julia: Thanks so much, Kim!

Visit Kim Kardashian's About Me page on eBay.

Photo credit: Kim Kardashian

Keeping up with Kim Kardashian's Charity eBay Auction   Keeping up with Kim Kardashian's Charity eBay Auction

by: healthyjerky4u

Thu May 29 23:23:05 2008

Who would have ever thought she would charge $15 dollars to ship her items...Kind of a HIGH shipping fee don't you think?

by: tj

Thu May 29 23:55:33 2008

More eBay PR hype..who gives a rats about this foul mouth spoilt...you get the picture

by: WHAT THE??

Fri May 30 00:23:26 2008

INA!! what are you doing?? PLEASE DON'T START REPORTING ON GARBAGE LIKE KIM KA-WHATEVER. aren't you smarter than that? we are in e-commerce crisis these days. PLEASE MORE ON THE IMPORTANT STUFF. I KNOW YOU ARE BETTER THAN THIS THRASH. Please get back to BUSINESS.
hugs! :)

by: whoa!!!

Fri May 30 00:27:16 2008

i just looked at KIM'S feedback. what the?????/ can anybody explain?? TAKE A LOOK... is EbaY padding her fb (like her butt)

yeah, i know -- bad joke

by: Tracy

Fri May 30 01:07:11 2008

Yeah, noticed the "0" feedback. Why doesn't neutral mean negative for her? What's up with this, Ebay?

by: Eric Gazin

Fri May 30 01:44:04 2008

We are the agency running this auction for Kim Kardashian. Just want to address some of the comments. Kim really has bought and sold on eBay since 2002, thus the very high feedback, though she has not bought and sold anything recently as indicated by the lack of recent feedback. We are handling the shipping and handling. We are including full insurance, tracking, and packaging every item carefully. Some items with the insurance will be more than the $15 and some a little less.

What we believe is interesting is to have a well known celebrity talk about buying and sellinig on eBay. Some celebrities may secretly buy and a few do some big charity auctions, but would love to see someone show another well known person with higher feedback there.

by: venkat

Fri May 30 02:20:45 2008

I Just looked At Kims Feed.Good I Have To Visit This Site Often
Hollywood Springs
Hollywood Heroines
Celebrity Wallpapers

by: bite me

Fri May 30 03:25:40 2008

You guys all know that she has a sex tape out right? I don't think ebay would be that stupid to pad her fb.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ina

Fri May 30 08:13:00 2008

Eric Gazin from Auction Cause has been a long-time AuctionBytes supporter, but he knows I don't publish content on specific celeb/charity auctions (that could fill two entire newsletters). But when he told me Kim has been an eBay user for years, I thought it would be interesting to learn more.

Guest blogger Julia Wilkinson did an excellent interview. I thought the tidbit about the Manolo shoes showed Kim was a real eBay seller! She made an interesting inventory decision based on her knowledge and expertise, and boy, it paid off for her. The fact that she is a celebrity adds a level of interest.

Please keep your comments on topic (shipping and handling and feedback are legitimate in the context of this newsletter). Eric was kind enough to participate in the thread. I hope he'll continue to face the fire.

Just because someone is a celebrity doesn't mean comments about their physical appearance are appropriate, and certainly not appropriate here.

I would like to thank Kim for spending the time to participate in the interview, and I hope she raises lots of money for charity, just as many other eBay sellers do every day!

by: barbcity

Fri May 30 09:03:52 2008

Ina, I have to agree with the other blogger about this sort of thing being featured in the blog! I come here for serious news concerning eBay and on-line auctions! I have NOT been impressed with Julia Wilkinson's contributions to the blog so far! The piece she did on ZTAIL read like a PR press release from the company! I almost wanted to write and ask if she was being compensated in some way by ZTAIL for it! (Actually I think any blogger should reveal if they have any connection with the subject they are reporting on!) I can understand that the fact that this Kim has been a buyer and seller on eBay for some time would be of interest but I just don't think this blog is the place for it! It's your blog so you can do what you want but this and the ZTAIL piece are NOT the type of thing I, as a full time eBay seller am looking for! The constant use of exclamations was a bit annoying as well! Sorry but I guess I have my grouch hat on today.

by: DaisyAnne

Fri May 30 09:10:47 2008

I think I need to take a shower; I suddenly feel so dirty.

by: Lynn D

Fri May 30 10:20:55 2008

While I find it interesting that Kim buys and sells on Ebay and has done so for many years I just can't figure out how and why this would effect or help me.

I would also like to point out that nowhere in that interview did they say how much would actually be given to the charity. Before I bid or buy I want to know how the money is being allocated.

Lastly I am a bit irritated that the suppossed celebs who are featured on ebay don't seem to give a rip about what is occuring on ebay at this time. With many ebayer's calling for boycotts and peoples businesses being ruined, many of whom made a living on ebay. I would respect any celeb who would stand up and call foul on the devastation and high handed manner that ebay is currently wreaking on their own community. That said no I will not bid on the charity auctions presented on ebay by any Celebrity.

Shaking my head in wonder.

by: Julia Wilkinson

Fri May 30 10:58:37 2008

Thanks for all the comments. I was interested to learn that Kim had been buying and selling on eBay for so long, and I agree with Ina that it was interesting how she has bought and resold trendy items based on their demand in the marketplace, etc.

That said, I listen to all your feedback, including the piece about Ztail (no I was not compensated for it!). ;)

Thanks for your input and for reading.

Julia

by: healthyjerky4u

Fri May 30 13:15:01 2008

While I like Kim very much...She is only really known for her "sex tape", her pics in Playboy, and also her reality TV show...

I noticed that she stated: "The best part is a percentage of the proceeds to go the Dream Foundation, which grants wishes to terminally ill adults."

What percentage is going to the Dream Foundation? Also, if we REGULAR sellers charged that much for S&H, we would have our auctions reported and/or removed...

Favoritism, is very clear to me...

eBay is NOT a fair trade auction site, any longer...Makes me really wonder why Meg Whitman REALLY left eBay...

Something big & bad is about to happen to eBay and I am one of those sellers who will be gone, before it affects my online business...

by: healthyjerky4u

Fri May 30 13:17:02 2008

Julia Wilkinson...I wanted to Thank you for the GREAT interview with Kim...You did a fine job :)

by: dave

Fri May 30 13:48:03 2008

to the Eric Gazin/ Auction Cause folks: As an agency running stuff on ebay for your client- do you look at the issues like the shipping, or the fact that she hasn't sold stuff in a while before you start hyping her stuff? As a fellow marketing/PR person, i find a lack of due diligence here. I'd think if you were looking out for your client you'd want to have the items pre-weighed and a fair shipping rate worked out aead of time- I mean in the midwest we have these things called interns for that sorta nonsense.

I also agree with the other posters who would like to know how much money is going to the charity and how much to Kim. In this girls behaving badly era of Lohans and Britneys, if Kim is giving 5, 50 or 100 percent? let us know.

That said- this is not in any way a attack at all on any one in particular so much as it is asking if this was fully thought through. At my shop we try to suss out the culture of the environment where we're sending our clients to make sure its a great fit and a home run- not just something to keep clients on the phone.

by: level playing?

Fri May 30 14:42:00 2008

i noticed that she (Kim) has a link to here dot com on her about me page. isn't this a new ebay no-no?
i was under the impression that links to other e-commerce sites is no longer allowed.

anyone?

by: bite me

Fri May 30 17:57:36 2008

For each listing she has it says the total amount going to charity. For the one I looked at it was 10%. Good for those tax deductions :)

by: barbcity

Fri May 30 17:59:38 2008

Julia, I did not mean to directly attack you or your writing in my comment above. As a interview it is just fine and it is informative .... its just that I don't believe it is the sort of thing that belongs in this blog. As one other poster stated, these are serious times for sellers and we thirst for information and hard news. This type of story is just a distraction. And you have to admit, a sentence at the beginning of the story that ''Kim was enthusiastic in her responses'' could have eliminated 98% of the exclamation marks. I look forward to future stories of yours that might deal with some of the more serious issues confronting sellers in these times.

by: Eric Gazin

Fri May 30 23:39:32 2008

Hello Dave - appreciate the dialog here and the chance to respond to the shipping issues. We use DHL Ground, and fully insure each package and require signature confirmation. Though we are an active agency on eBay, we do not ship a ton each month to get the special rates, though we do go through a 3rd party service to get a small discount. Our hard costs are the packing materials and gift boxes, and some other things. A sample shipping rate of a 3 pound box from 90048 to 10012 on DHL.com, insured for $500 ia $18 to a residence if we request a pickup or $13 to drop at a location. I do believe our $15 is a fair and reasonable estimate here. I share the buyer's concern about inflated s/h charges of course, and am sensitive to this, but when selling items with huge price fluctuation potential, we alwaus strive for a middle number to use for all.

As for the zero recent feedback - Kim just has not had time to buy and sell recently, same as many other sellers. I do not think it is fair to criticize the lack of recent feedback, what matters is she earned her great marks the same as anyone else on the site.