Wed May 28 2008 10:51:01

Former eBay CEO Meg Whitman Still Politicking

I can't help but be intrigued when Meg Whitman's name comes up as possible running mate to Republican presidential candidate John McCain, or as possible candidate in the next California gubernatorial race. The former eBay CEO is in McCain's inner circle, for sure, as this article demonstrates.

If not VP, surely they would find a nice position for her in the administration after all the money she has raised for the Republican party.

And as someone said, McCain has billion$ of reasons to consider Whitman a running mate.

If Whitman was on the ticket, would eBay become fodder for national debate? Interesting to think about.

Former eBay CEO Meg Whitman Still Politicking   Former eBay CEO Meg Whitman Still Politicking

by: Ted

Wed May 28 11:10:44 2008

Here's an important piece of advice: If it looks like it's going to be McCain/Palin anyway (and that should be a "no brainer" for Team McCain), McCain should announce NOW or VERY SOON, rather than later towards the convention. There's currently a growing chorus for Obama/Hillary (as VP) ticket (in fact the Dems are likely aware of the Palin phenomenon). If the GOP waits while movement for Hillary as VP grows -- even worse until after it is solidified that Hillary will/could be VP pick -- selecting Palin will be portrayed by Dems/liberal media more as a reaction by GOP selecting its own female (overshawdoing Palin's own remarkable assets), rather than McCain taking the lead on this. Selecting Palin now or early (contrary to the punditocracy) will mean McCain will be seen as driving the course of this campaign overwhelmingly, and the DEMS will be seen as merely reacting. And, there's absoultely no down-side to this because even if Hillary is a no-go as VP for Obama, the GOP gains by acting early. McCain the maverick. Palin the maverick. Do it now!

There's no reason, and actually substantial negative, in McCain waiting to see what the Dems do first insofar as his picking Palin as VP, because, no matter who Obama picks, Palin is by far (and I mean far) the best pick for McCain and the GOP, especially in this time of GOP woes. The GOP can be seen as the party of real 'change' (albeit I hate that mantra, change, change, bla bla), while not really having to change from GOP core conservative values, which Palin more than represents.

In light of the current oil/energy situation, as well as the disaffected female Hillary voters situation, and growing focus on McCain's age and health, Palin is more than perfect -- now.

(Perhaps Team McCain is already on to this.)

by: GOPSOB

Wed May 28 11:27:25 2008

I think you're on to something, Ted. Michael Palin would be the perfect choice as McCain's running mate. He would bring a much needed touch of British Humour to the ticket. I'd love to see McCain and Palin perform the ''Fish Slap'' dance at the inauguration. Perhaps McCain would consider bringing aboard Eric Idle and John Cleese into the administration as well. Then we could look back at his presidential tenure as Spamalot.

Yes, a fine idea....oh wait, you meant SARAH Palin? Never mind...

by: mamacita

Wed May 28 12:31:26 2008

I can't imagine having Meg as a running mate would HELP. I believe that would be a grave miscalculation. The 'little people' might not be happy with that! eBay doesn't exactly have a shining reputation. If McCain wants a running mate who is associated with one of the most fraud-ridden corporations on the face of the earth.... well then he is far less intelligent that I gave him credit for.

by: mamacita

Wed May 28 12:44:41 2008

And I'm with you, Ina. I can't help but be intrigued either, at the thought of Meg on a presidential ticket! ''Intrigued'' is an appropriate term here. I'm intrigued in a snickering, sarcastic sort of way....and incredibly amused at the same time. (In a cynical sort of way.)

by: daisyanne

Wed May 28 14:09:12 2008

I think it's a great idea. During the campaigning, sellers might start getting fairer treatment and it would insure the democrat nominee would get elected.

by: Patricia

Wed May 28 16:52:52 2008

McCain is going to have to go some to beat OBama with or without Hillary (and I'm a Hillary supporter).  All OBama has to keep in the public eye is the amount of money and lives, both American and Iraq squandered in the last 5 years and still going strong!  They only have to bring up the plight of the millions here who are out of work or with jobs that do not cover them with health insurance.  They need only bring up the economy overstressed by the drainage of money used for war - they have only to bring out the burden this war is placing on our children...and their children.  They need only bring up the shoddy regulations that gave the money mongers a field day and now many many homes are being foreclosed!  People are living in their cars! It won't take much for honest, hardworking middle and low income people to get to those polls and pull the lever for democrats.  This should be a piece of cake for OBama. ;-)  Sorry for the rant but I can't see a leg for republicans to stand on this year no matter how much mud they sling.

by: Patricia

Wed May 28 16:55:46 2008

Oh...as for Meg.  She needs to stay home and just count her billions.  I think she's managed to do enough disservice to ebay simply by leaving Donahoe to run amuck!  Talk about a move from the frying pan into the fire. I would definitely not like to see her with even more power.

www.ACEOart.net

by: RichardC

Wed May 28 18:25:44 2008

Ina, Meg as a running mate?  You have picked up David's sense of humor

RC

by: Boycott Ebay/Paypal

Wed May 28 19:43:33 2008

Whitman as a part of the government? Ewwwwwwwwwww. I can honestly say that she is the one person that I would like to see in office even less than I would like the Shrub to stick around.

by: Carol

Wed May 28 23:46:30 2008

Honestly...I would NOT VOTE for McCain...as a Republican well I guess for the first time it would have be be a Democratic (party) vote for me!

by: funny.

Thu May 29 05:12:04 2008

You must ge ur head exaimed if you would ever think of voting republican ~ after all the years of lying, deception, dishonesty anmd fraud. Sounds like a perfect match for MW.

by: Lyn

Thu May 29 09:33:35 2008

She has more visibility in California, so my bet is on the reward of full on Republican Party support for a run for Governor there. What a gawdawful thought...Meg in charge of the 5th largest economy in the world (California). I do think that anything she decides to do will shine a harsh light upon eBay's evolution into one of the most hated corporations in history.

by: LB

Thu May 29 11:05:18 2008

I, for one, would LOVE to see Meg run with McCain.

Can you imagine the crap that the media will bring up on the negative dive that ebay has taken? The million$$ Meg wasted on Skype? The fraud & scams that were allowed to run rampant while under her reign?

I'd love to see Vladuz as their campaign manager

by: meg4dogcatcher

Thu May 29 11:52:34 2008

And I'd love to see Vladuz managing eBay after he's gone straight.

by: Patti

Thu May 29 13:07:10 2008

After so thoroughly pillaging eBay, anything less than pillaging the US Treasury would be SUCH a letdown.

by: Julie

Thu May 29 23:32:37 2008

Do you think Meg will charge each resident a listing fee for having her Vote McCain/Whitman political sign in their yards....and a FVF when they come out of the voting booth?

Do ya think the McCain/Whitman website will be accepting feedback?

Will she want to change the name "Congress" to "Powerfellas"?

When Donohoo leaves (my most fervent prayer these days), will he sign up to be Osama Bin Laden's running mate (think about it!)?

by: horsemama

Fri May 30 11:49:50 2008

I have already informed McCain that if he doesn't get rid of Meg he has lost my vote.  And that was from his campaign, never mind as a running mate.

And I won't vote for Hillary in any form, so if it becomes McCain/Whitless vs Obama/Clinton . . . I guess I'm voting Libertarian this year.

by: pixiedish

Sun Jun 1 02:06:20 2008

Will definitely not be voting fo McCain since learning the hideous Whitless is in his inner circle. Yikes!! Imagine he was a prisoner of war for a lowlife like her.

by: Lifelong Republican

Sat Jun 14 15:09:25 2008

... but, for the first time, I cannot see voting for the Republcan nominee. Don't get me wrong, I have great admiration for Senator McCain; his past accomplishments have earned it. However, his choice to take on Meg Whitman (in any influential position, not necessarily even VP), compels me to question Mr. McCain's (hitherto) exceptionally good judgment. Unspeakably disappointed, but I will get over it. It is time to give Democrats a chance!